Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

Login issues? Try this.
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Official Thread] The Future of Flickr
[Spam] I WILL END YOU (Staff post!)
Latest: 3 hours ago
[investigating] Email notifications failing (BT Internet Users especially)
Latest: 5 hours ago
[Kapersky/Antivirus Issues] I cannot upload photos today...

Current Discussion

[Official Thread] Introducing the Flickr Camera Roll (Beta)
Latest: 20 minutes ago
Completely logout iPhone app
Latest: 68 minutes ago
Flickr albums in Windows 10
Account Cancelled by Flickr
Can't verify Paypal account for royalty payment
Are they safe? New accounts found in Search results and Explore list
Instagram not loading to Flickr
No lightbox view (windows phone)
Latest: 6 hours ago
Photo descriptions
Is there an easy way to select a specific photo for a cover banner?
Can the deleted photos be recovered?
Pro account activation
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official topic] Sharing to Pinterest - Bugs & Feedbacks

Flickr Staff

eMiLy @_@ says:

Howdy, Flickr members!

We've just added Pinterest to the Share menu. You will find the new option if you click the "Share" menu on any page that can be shared, including photo pages, favorite pages, an groups.

Read all about it in the blog post and FAQs:

Flickr Blog:

blog.flickr.net/2012/05/01/en/attributed-sharing-from-fli...

FAQs:

Can I pin all Flickr photos to Pinterest?

Can I pin my own own photos to Pinterest if I disable sharing?

How will my photo be attributed when shared to Pinterest?

If you encounter issues or have any feedbacks about this new option, this help topic is for you!

If you have any questions about the integration on Pinterest, you can contact the Pinterest team.
Posted at 10:53AM, 1 May 2012 PDT ( permalink )

view photos

BlueisCoool says:

This is a nice new feature.
Posted 52 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

codevilla says:

"D'oh! That didn't work. Please try again later. "

view photos

Flickr Staff

Ross PRO says:

codevilla - It should be working normally now; slight launch hiccup.

view photos

jakerome PRO says:

Does this mean my genius will finally be recognized?

view photos

Ed Gaillard says:

From the FAQ: Furthermore, Flickr images embedded on other websites, like your blog or website, using one of the Flickr farm URLs ... will equally be attributed when (re)pinned.

Nice! Great work, there.

view photos

m.pressions says:

view photos

stashwell says:

"D'oh! That didn't work. Please try again later."

view photos

Debbie Prediger Photography says:

"D'oh! That didn't work. Please try again later."

view photos

Flickr Staff

Ross PRO says:

codevilla, m.pressions, 5tash, Debbie Prediger Photography - Thanks, we're looking into it.

view photos

Brenda Anderson PRO says:

D'oh! That didn't work. Please try again later.

(just in case it matters, my account was one of those that wasn't letting me pin my own safe photos using the Pinmarklet thing before (as reported in that other thread).

view photos

alisonbenson PRO says:

Great idea, but can't get it to work.

I have disabled sharing for everyone else and my photos are safe, but cannot even see the Pinmarklet thing

view photos

JonMorgan. PRO says:

still getting the

view photos

loungelistener PRO says:

Wonderful. Now, how do I BLOCK my photos from being pinned at all? Can't we have an easy setting to just say "No Pinterest" on our account and block all this drivel?

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

loungelistener

Sadly, I don't think they can do that. I pretty regularly find my images on Pinterest, despite my no-sharing setting.

Pinterest doesn't use Flickr's hosted copy, but makes a new copy instead.

view photos

Not sure if this helps, but if I try to pin my own photo on pinterest itself, I get this error.

Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 10.40.43 AM

view photos

Bob Palin PRO says:

Total copyright violation, I just tried it. Upload picture to Flickr, pin on Pinterest, delete from Flickr. Pinterest still has a copy of the image with a broken link to the Flickr account.

view photos

Flickr Staff

pkingDesign PRO says:

A good place to start if you want to block your content from being pinned would be to disable sharing of your Flickr photos. You can learn more about how this works at the link below:

www.flickr.com/help/sharing/#82828371

Wil C Fry is right that it is difficult to completely block you content from being shared / pinned unless your content is entirely private. We provide some deterrents on Flickr in the form of allowing you to restrict access to your original photos, but it is basically impossible to prevent entirely if your photos are viewable online.

view photos

Bob Palin PRO says:

The thing is that I want to share my pictures as served from Flickr, I don't want Flickr to enable the automatic copying of my pictures to another web site.

I understand that Pinterest does this for all 'their' content and I have no doubt they will eventually be crushed by a massive copyright lawsuit. Flickr should be careful not to be seen as an accessory in this.

view photos

: Nils PRO says:

What if I want to block my photos from being shared to Pinterest but not other services, because I think Pinterest is for losers but Twitter is for winners?

view photos

Nancy Rose PRO says:

Thanks for ensuring that photos will always link back to my flickr page so at least if they are shared i will not be left out of the picture and no one can claim my photos as theirs.

view photos

Andy Marfia PRO says:

This is a step in the right direction, but even better: give us the ability to select which services we share with, instead of it being all or nothing. I'd prefer to keep Pinterest blocked.

view photos

justingreen19 says:

Sick to death of finding my images on Pinterest. My photos are all rights reserved.

view photos

nikkipolani PRO says:

Nope, still not working. I'm signed in, I have the 3rd party sharing allowed, and the Pinterest button is faded stating "can't share because owner has disabled access..." -- even though I'm the owner and I HAVE enabled access.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

This is a step in the right direction, but even better: give us the ability to select which services we share with, instead of it being all or nothing. I'd prefer to keep Pinterest blocked.

+1

view photos

Flickr Staff

Ross PRO says:

nikkipolani - I believe that message means you have disabled 3rd party access to the API, which is required in order for Pinterest to pin your photo. I would check your setting here and make sure that "Hide your photos from searches on 3rd party sites that use the API, including Yahoo! Image Search?" is unchecked.

view photos

alisonbenson PRO says:

I am still having the same problem as nikkipolani. All boxes mentioned are unchecked, but it is still not working

view photos

Flickr Staff

eMiLy @_@ says:

Hello alisonbenson,

You should be able to pin your own photos, as long as they are public/safe.

view photos

ohnostudio says:

If I can't block the pinheads then time to delete my meager account. Sorry not going to stand for it while people rake in "dark money". Edit: Photos now gone. See ya.

view photos

taxref PRO says:

I think this is another Flickr feature which should require an opt-in rather than an opt-out.

Many Flickr members regularly express concerns in this forum regarding the unauthorized use of their photos. Pinterest is a site which is based in large part upon its members using the copyrighted material of others without permission. Pinterest by its very format encourages that.

view photos

DreamsOfNyssa PRO says:

I am able to pin my photos directly from Flickr but I am unable to pin the same photo when it is posted on a Blogger blog. Are there different settings in order to be able to pin a Flickr photo from a site outside of Flickr?
DreamsOfNyssa edited this topic 52 months ago.

view photos

DreamsOfNyssa PRO says:

Are there plans to have the attribution of a photo be available when shared from a website outside of Flickr, for example Tumblr?

view photos

jessica wilson {jek in the box} says:

I allow third party sharing but cannot pin my own photos. is this a bug? aack!

view photos

Flickr Staff

deerkoski says:

As long as the photo is public, and safe, you should be able to pin your own photos. What photo in particular are you having trouble pinning?

view photos

I can't pin any of my public, safe photos, as shown in my screenshot above.
Well, now it works.

view photos

DreamsOfNyssa PRO says:

Brenda Anderson It looks like you are trying to pin directly from Pinterest. That also doesn't work for me. Have you tried to pin using the Pinterest button from within Flickr?

view photos

Flickr Staff

protohiro PRO says:

Just to reiterate: for those here who do not want their photos pinned you can opt out by disabling sharing here. While we can't completely prevent someone from copying your photos, disabling sharing will prevent people from pinning your photos from flickr, or even if the urls are hot linked elsewhere.

view photos

Ange Halle says:

Captions and texts belong to the image, in my opinion. Well, the good side of the story, is that attribution will be guaranteed. Your description of what happens with pinning (I read it very carefully) does not mention the caption and texts accompanying the image. However, very often, other sites "take" my images (which are all rights reserved) and invent a text, and or incorrectly locate them, misrepresent the situation being imaged, etc. I wish the text which I include with the image were taken as well, if they are going to include an image without "asking". As this "pinning" apparently shows a copy (if I understand correctly), then correcting a mistake that a third party made (and that has happened pretty often) cannot be corrected with an explanation in my original text. (I mean, can you believe it, once I had an image on Flickr of a street view, and there was among other things a poster of a hippopotamus (with a tag, of course). Then a biodiversity site added my street image to their images of animals and the endangered hippopotamus. That's the type of misrepresentation I mean. And I am even all for biodiversity, but not like this.)

view photos

Bob Palin PRO says:

Flickr Staff continue to skirt around the problem. When something gets pinned to Pinterest a copy is created without the permission of the copyright holder. Even if the picture is removed from Flickr it remains on Pinterest and without taking legal action it is not possible to remove it. This can certainly happen outside Flickr but Flickr should not be automating this activity without giving the copyright holder the right to prevent it.

When a picture is shared on Facebook only a link is made, if the picture is removed from Flickr the link is broken.

I'm happy to have links to my pictures on Facebook, I am not happy to have copies of my pictures on Pinterest - why is is this so hard for Flickr to understand?

view photos

alisonbenson PRO says:

I have managed to solve my issue with posting on Pinterest - it was only the one photo and I have disabled sharing again.

I too am worried if people start copying my photos from Flickr and would have to consider closing my account if it became a problem, though by then the damage would have been done'

view photos

Flickr Staff

protohiro PRO says:

The issue you described is the reason we implemented the no-pin tag, enabling you to prevent people from pinning photos without your permission.

view photos

Bob Palin PRO says:

Thank you! Could you point to some place where this is described - it doesn't appear to be in the FAQ anywhere, would at least expect it to be in the Pinterest section of the Sharing FAQ. (I went to the main FAQ page and searched for 'no-pin' and 'nopin' but neither were found. Searching the web for 'Flickr nopin' does return some results but no concise description of what to do from within Flickr. (There is a long and very confusing Official Post in the forums, but it still doesn't give exact instructions)

Being impatient I tried adding the tag 'nopin' to all my pictures, from within my account I can still pin which is what I expect. If I sign out the whole "Share via" panel has gone away. If I use Pinterest's "Pin" javascript pinner (Pinmarklet?) it pins just fine despite having a nopin tag. Obviously I am not understanding the feature, it appears that a user not signed into any Flickr account can still pin my Flickr pictures, though not from within Flickr.

Definitely haven't understood, I searched Flickr for the tag nopin, most of the results had sharing turned off completely but I eventually found this picture which has sharing turned on and the tag nopin, it pinned just fine... (Apologies to EJ, I have deleted the pin)
EJ
Bob Palin edited this topic 52 months ago.

view photos

Bob Palin PRO says:

Oh, I have a bad feeling that you are referring to the no-pin meta tag and haven't addressed my issues at all. i.e. blocking Pinterest without turning off sharing altogether.

Does Flickr not understand the difference between a link and a copy?
Bob Palin edited this topic 52 months ago.

view photos

KittyKaht PRO says:

The Pinterest sharing button looks disabled on mine. When I go to Sharing permissions, I can't even find Pinterest there.

view photos

KittyKaht PRO says:

Ok bizarre, started working. Cheers anyways

view photos

Daniel Cormier says:

I really like the way this integration with Pinterest was done so as to make sure the attribution to the photographer is maintained when people re-share a photo shared from Flickr.

I wish you guys would add sharing to Google+.

view photos

Steven_Robertson PRO says:

it doesnt show the photographer name if its repinned at least twice by other pinterest users, took me ages to track back on pinterest to see the original pinning, plus i've disabled right click save on my flickr but thats diabled on pinterest, its also generated so little additional views to my flick image (+11) compared to at least 100 re-pins on pinterest,

how do i opt out?

view photos

ohhector says:

Clicking the Pinterest icon in the share menu posts my photo to my Pinterest account, but it does not show the Flickr icon or name attribution. If you check out my photography board: pinterest.com/ohhector/ohyeaphoto/
you can see that all of the older photos have the right information (icon and user name), but the newer ones at the top do not have it. Funny enough, I think all of the older links that have the right info were uploaded to Pinterest BEFORE the change, and the ones uploaded since do not have the icon and user name.

view photos

RubyMae PRO says:

Turn off "sharing" in your account settings.

view photos

finsbry PRO says:

Never mind.
finsbry edited this topic 51 months ago.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

finsbry

I've had my sharing turned off in my account settings for a couple of years, and yet my stuff is all over the internet, including pinterest. What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix this?

You have 8,876 items that are marked public and safe, which means anyone on the internet can view them. Anything that can be viewed on the internet can be saved / downloaded / copied.

Flickr's 'Share' menu is just a convenient way for people to post stuff to other sites, on blogs, etc. But any of those things can be done without the 'Share' menu, as long as the image is public.

view photos

finsbry PRO says:

Thank you Will.

view photos

finsbry PRO says:

I will not criticize pinterest again.

view photos

elementalPaul PRO says:

finsbry - you're in no position to moan about about people using 'your' images when your photostream is chock full of images created by other people that you've appropriated for your own use. Flickr can only be used for images you have created.

view photos

Patrick Costello PRO says:

"my stuff is all over the internet"

So how do you know they are pinning it from Flickr and not one of those other sites?

view photos

jane_sanders PRO says:

You should read Flickr's community guidelines, which state that you should "upload content that you've created", "respect the copyright of others [which] means don't steal photos or videos that other people have shared and pass them off as your own".

They also say "don’t upload anything that isn't yours [which] includes other people's photos, video, and/or stuff you've copied or collected from around the Internet. Accounts that consist primarily of such collections may be deleted at any time".

As those images aren't yours and, at your own admission, widely available elsewhere on the Internet, people may have pinned them on Pinterest from other websites.

view photos

finsbry PRO says:

Yes, I'm making everything for friends only in the community that wants to preserve paper ephemera. If the TOS is what you say, and I'm sure it is, then all of the groups etc are in violation, and the last thing I need is to somehow affect their status. Using public domain images in art, jewelry, etc etc has been going on since public domain existed--which is what I meant. Doesn't matter. Criticizing pinterest--obviously not a good idea.
Thank you again, Will. I am not going to ask another question or post on these boards again. Whenever I do, I'm threatened privately (NOT by flickr itself) with having my entire stream deleted.
Posted 51 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

finsbry

What the others appear to be referring to are the numerous public images in your account that aren't of your own creation. (There are less now than there were yesterday; you seem to be following through on making your items private.)

Flickr's Community Guidelines are relatively clear about not uploading things you didn't create.

. 'Appropriating' public domain images is not only permissible, it is encouraged by anyone who loves to see and appreciated the artists of the past.

"Permissible" by whom?

... nastiness ...

If you're referring to elementalPaul, Patrick Costello, and jane_sanders, who offered friendly advice, I've seen all three of them offering help in this forum for years. None of them are out to get anyone. They volunteer their time here to help people.

view photos

WhoWillStandForMe? says:

I Think God IS One. I'm Tired, I Want To Give Up and Go Start New Job Differnt Pkace But than I Think Other People Need That Easy Job I See In Newspapers., Thanks Im SabinaTShaikh

view photos

RubyMae PRO says:

Spam?

view photos

Megan_GingerSnaps says:

I have edited my privacy settings so photos from Flickr onto my blog are able to pinned to Pinterest. However, when someone pins from my blog and you click the photo from Pinterest it says "Cannot fetch pins"

What settings do I have to change?

view photos

happy_olya says:

I have the same issue with 'could not fetch pin' after my photo gets pinned on the Pinterest and you try to open up the pin. I'm getting a little tired of this...

view photos

ZannieGirl49 PRO says:

I just pinned a few images to Pinterest through the 'Share' menu and found that the colors on my pin are very dull compared to my image on Flickr. Here's an example from another Flickr user:

difference in color between Flickr and Pinterest on my computer by msbellee

view photos

sewindie says:

Is there any way to NOT have the "uploaded from flickr user" under my photos? I love that they're attributed, but for many reasons it's just distracting and isn't what I want.

For instance, I use flickr as a photo hosting site, primarily because the uploading on tumblr is so grainy and bad. When I post something to my blog and get people pinning, it's then got this big "SEE THIS ON FLICKR" addendum, rather than big attribution to my blog, which is where i WANT them to go.

Does anyone have a solution for this??

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads