Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Desktop Uploadr App Authentication Update
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Official Thread] Login issues? Try this.
[fixed - staff response] "this photo is no longer available"
Latest: 5 hours ago
[fixing - staff responding] Photostream Count Incorrect, needs to be rebuilt
Latest: 2 days ago
[fixing - staff response] Fake / Spam Accounts
Latest: 3 days ago

Current Discussion

Loading Circle in Slideshow
Latest: 8 minutes ago
Repeated Connection Problems
Latest: 52 minutes ago
[answer provided] iOS11's HEIF and Flickr auto uploadr in iOS
Latest: 2 hours ago
Zooming issue
Latest: 2 hours ago
[answer provided] auto-renew flickr PRO (old one)
[investigating] search is broken
Safe search going in circles
[BUG] Show in my feed unchecking is corrupted
Safety level NOT set?
Latest: 4 hours ago
[answer provided] How NOT have my real name show when I post photos?
Latest: 4 hours ago
Awesome flickr gallery error - photoset not found
[closed - duplicate] EXPLORE in my post
More...

Search the Help Forum

image quality after upload

Kbarnett198 says:

I have a pro account which is supposed to give you larger file size uploads. I have noticed that on severa of the images that I post the image is desaturated, and often also has a greenish color cast. I think that this is the result of Flickr either reducing the size of the image file, or there is additional editing added to the image. It is becoming very anoying beacuse this is not the way that I intended for the image to be viewed. I can take these same images and upload to my Photography business web site and they display exactly as they are supposed to. Whats up with this Flickr?
Posted at 2:58PM, 24 April 2012 PDT ( permalink )

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Flickr FAQ: Why do my image colors look different on Flickr than on my computer?
Posted 66 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Flickr Staff

morozgrafix PRO says:

- FAQ that suggested may help. I've looked through your photostream and most of the images look very vibrant and saturated. It would be helpful if you can provide a link to a specific image that you having trouble with.

view photos

Kbarnett198 says:

It only happens to certain images, and it is rather random. Some of the images that I have had this issue with I have deleted. If you look at the image in my photostream called "hi there" there is a link in the description that takes you to the same photo on my photography web site and you can definately see the difference. This is the exact same image that is uploaded to both sites. Its hard to see what Im discribing unless you have something to compare to.

Thanks for the reply.

view photos

Kbarnett198 says:

By the way the image that I am refering to was uploded today so you will not have to dig through my entire photostream.

view photos

Kbarnett198 says:

Im not as concerned about the desaturation as I am the color cast that gets added to some images that i upload. Color cast kills the image.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

morozgrafix

It would be helpful if you can provide a link to a specific image that you having trouble with.

The OP appears to be talking about this photo:
www.flickr.com/photos/64026884@N02/7110812489/

Kbarnett198
This is the exact same image that is uploaded to both sites

Technically it isn't. You've blocked access to your original files on Flickr, so we can't see what you uploaded. All we can see is the Flickr-generated 'large' size, which is 683x1024 pixels; the original is either that size or larger.

The image on your website is 512x768 pixels, clearly not the same file that was uploaded to Flickr.

view photos

Kbarnett198 says:

Its the same exact file. I promise you.

view photos

Kbarnett198 says:

I will unblock the file so you can see. I really would like to get to the bottom of this.

view photos

Kbarnett198 says:

By the way the image on my web site is also restricted to a certain file size. You can go by what you can see you would have to look at the exif data. I will unlock the files in both places if you need to verify that you are looking at the same file if neccessary.
Kbarnett198 edited this topic 66 months ago.

view photos

Kbarnett198 says:

I will even let you download the file from my web site so you can view the exif data on that one also.

view photos

Kbarnett198 says:

By the way that link to my web site is taking you to that image in that size. Let me post you a link to that actual gallery that its in and you can then download it to view the data.

view photos

Kbarnett198 says:

www.knkphoto.biz/Portrait-Gallery/Portrait-gallery/217962...

view photos

Kbarnett198 says:

Please let me know when your done so I can lock that gallery down again.

view photos

Kbarnett198 says:

Well I guess that's so much for that. I'm going to put my permissions back the way they were. It's a little disappointing that Flickr members can't reach out to an organized support organization when there are problems with the service. Maybe I just don't get what the site is all about. Ok. Thanks for your help at least I did get a reply.

view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Can I ask what your expectations were? Do you realize that a Flickr staff member replied to you above? The volunteers who help here are not in this forum 24/7.

You're looking at a color management issue here. Tips on what to do about it are in the link I provided in my first reply to you. Did you read it?

It's a little disappointing that Flickr members can't reach out to an organized support organization when there are problems with the service.

They most certainly can. Again, staff replied to you above, and the ability to contact staff directly can be found in the help link located in the footer of every page on the site.

view photos

Flickr Staff

morozgrafix PRO says:

- Wil C. Fry and -kmacgray - thanks for your help and pointing OP to correct FAQ.

Looks like OP removed access to original images both on Flickr and his personal site at this time.

Most likely problem with OP file is that it wasn't saved using the sRGB color space.

- This is mostly user to user forum and every now and then staff members chime in. Please try to be more patient next time, people are here to help you out, for the most part we just can't do it instantly. kmacgray provided you with information that should solve the color shift problem.

Have you had a chance to try to save that file using the sRGB color space and upload again?

view photos

Kbarnett198 says:

I think I was patient but please understand that I opened up my personal website so the issue could be looked into. This would have been a mute point had I not had to try and prove to you that the two files were the same. You should try to be more trusting when working with a customer. I have not saved the file yet with the srgb color space. Its late now but I will try it tomorrow.

Kindest regards

view photos

jschumacher PRO says:

Are you seeing a difference in the photo of the baby on your photostream (www.flickr.com/photos/64026884@N02/7110812489/in/photostream) and the photo on your site that you link to from Flickr (this one www.knkphoto.biz/Portrait-Gallery/Portrait-gallery/i-b4wh...)?

I'm confused because the colors on those photos look exactly the same to me.

view photos

Kbarnett198 says:

To kmacgray. Yes I do realize that your staff is not here 24/7 I do not think my expectations were unrealistic. Now your being sarcastic. You don't have to worry about me using this forum again. This hand slapping, pile on the customer mentality that I have observed on this and other threads on this forum I have read while waiting is a real turn off. I appreciate the help the guy provided me, however your comments are out of line.

view photos

Kbarnett198 says:

I have looked at the image on both sites on both a Mac and a PC ad well as an iPad and they are drastically different. The one on the flickr photostream has a green color cast. Its possible that the problem could be the color space needs I be changed. However I have never had a problem using adobe rgb on any other site, but that's not to say changing it won't work. I will change it and see what happens.

Thanks

view photos

jschumacher PRO says:

In case it helps both photos look identical to me on my Mac when viewed with Safari, Firefox and Chrome. Good luck!

view photos

Kbarnett198 says:

You have to look at the little girls complexion. It has a green color cast. Usually this only shows up on people's skin. The photo on my web site shows her actual skin color. No worries. We will see what happens when I re edit the image.

view photos

ColleenM says:

kmacgray is NOT staff. Staff have a 'staff' label under their buddy icon.

Lucky for you, volunteers were able to steer you to the FAQ that was most relevant about 2 hours before staff visited the forum. Staff reiterated the same advice that a volunteer had provided.

The problem you are describing is most commonly a result of uploading images to Flickr that have been saved in a non- sRGB color space. If you upload an image that has been saved in the sRGB color space, there's a 99% chance your problem will be solved.

The FAQ linked in the first response to your post is the most helpful information that anyone, staff or volunteer, can provide.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

Kbarnett198

This would have been a mute point had I not had to try and prove to you that the two files were the same

I wasn't saying you didn't upload identical files. I was saying that the two we could *see* weren't identical files.

In fact, I linked to the exact image files above, which are clearly not the same file, and not even the same size. No proof was necessary on your part.

Both SmugMug and Flickr take the original file that you upload and then process it into smaller sizes (creating new files) for display on various pages on the respective sites. Having been a member of both sites for years, I'm aware that both sites use different processes to create the smaller sizes, so it's a sure bet the smaller sizes won't look identical.

And, you don't have to "open up" permissions on either site to show examples of the larger image files. As the account owner, you already have access to those files and could post the URLs here if you wanted to, as I did above.

view photos

Kbarnett198 says:

Ok I digress. I will take it from here. Thanks for the help.

view photos

Kbarnett198 says:

Ok gang. Looks like changing from adobe rgb to srgb did the trick. Ieft the original image (hi there) in my photostream, and uploaded the new image (hi there-2) right above it if you are interested in seeing the compeling difference. It was a little painful, and frustrating, but I am happy it worked out. Thanks Wil for all your help and everyone else who had input. Consider this problem solved.

view photos

Julie Elder Photography says:

Well, if anything this is an eye opener for me and I learned something new today. I was noticing such a thing myself and was beginning to think my eyes were going (they are)...but now I will go check into my sRGB.
Thanks All for discussing.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

Kbarnett198

I'm glad it worked out in the end. ;-)

view photos

Kbarnett198 says:

Yeah its strangs because I have never had a problem with my color space until I started using Flickr. Not a bad thing... its just the way it is and now that I know the deal and know how to avoid it its all good. Usually I do not change except for printing on various printers, and depending on if the printer can deal with adobe RGB. However I have heard that you should edit with adobe rgb and then save as srgb, bu since I never had an issue out of sight out of mind I guess. Yep its been a learning experience for me as well.

view photos

Kbarnett198 says:

Me too my friend me to. Thanks again.

view photos

Paul_Wheeler PRO says:

Both images match on my screen now, so it looks like the issue has been resolved :)

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads