Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

Flickr/Yahoo login issues.
Latest: 25 hours ago

Current Discussion

[Good news] Birds of prey group
Latest: 3 minutes ago
Slow, so slow !
Latest: 21 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Introducing the Flickr Camera Roll (Beta)
Latest: 22 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Updates on tags
Latest: 24 minutes ago
How to delete photos in photostream not connected to account?
Latest: 30 minutes ago
Pics missing
Latest: 48 minutes ago
[BUG] Incorrect ISO value displayed against uploaded images.
Latest: 56 minutes ago
Trying to upload from a Mac
Latest: 2 hours ago
Flickr not uploading
Latest: 3 hours ago
Why is it that suddenly I cannot make an HTML copy to post into a Group. All my images show only the damn EMBED
Maps and pins
Flickr Crashing
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Thread] Adding Pinterest's "nopin" meta tag

ɹǝʇǝd PRO says:

Pinterest recently released a code snippet (meta tag) that can be added to websites to prevent content from being pinable:

<meta name="pinterest" content="nopin" />

Is there a way Flickr could add this as an option somewhere to prevent images from being pinned on Pinterest?

=== Staff update 20 March 2012 ===
This issue has been resolved for most users. For the latest troubleshooting information see tedd4u's update.

If you've made sure to follow the instructions there and you're still having trouble, please post to this discussion and be sure to include the page from which you're trying to Pin (photo page, photostream, blog post) and what you see (images appear grayed out, image pops in but disappears or other).

=== Staff update 16 March 2012 ===
Some of you might currently be experiencing issues with pinning your own content. These are related to changes that we are working on with the Pinterest team and will hopefully be resolved shortly. Please see protohiro's update for details.
Posted at 1:52PM, 22 February 2012 PDT ( permalink )
tedd4u (staff) edited this topic 41 months ago.

1 2 next →
(101 to 177 of 177 replies in [Official Thread] Adding Pinterest's "nopin" meta tag)
view photos

continental drift PRO says:

No, it's not that Pinterest can't see it, because this was working fine before - and it's public on my own site, just private here. (Okay, fair enough, stuff can be swiped from my site as well. It's a bigger issue than this.) It's that Flickr changed their policy and I didn't receive any notice of this or any option to opt out of the automatic "no pin." Also, the image on Pinterest is smaller, so even if they do swipe it, it's of less use to the swiper.
Posted 41 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

idiotskitchen PRO says:

@Lu I keep saying my website because all of the photos on my website link back to my Flickr page. This is what the Flickr folks request when you use their site for storage and so that's what I do even though it takes me several extra steps for each photo and I've noticed that not many bloggers actually adhere to this rule. In the past, people could pin directly from the pin it button on my website OR they could click on a photo and go to the Flickr page. Now neither of those two things seems to be working. As others have said, it would have been nice to have been offered an option to opt in our out of this before it just happened.

view photos

skirt_as_top says:

YES! Flickr, please fix this. I use Flickr as a hosting service for my wordpress blog (because it's much easier to use), but I don't want all images public. I DO set a few images as public and even those are not able to be pinned from my blog right now, suddenly, after working fine just a few days ago. This is extremely frustrating and I'd really like to see an "opt in" provision as well as an "opt out." Repeat - even my PUBLIC photos hosted on flickr are not pinnable, and I have changed my sharing and 3rd party API settings to allow pinning. There is a bug.

view photos

continental drift PRO says:

I changed my sharing settings and copyright settings in order to have Pinterest work with my images. It worked for a day. But now there is the automatic "nopin" blocking images again. This is really frustrating! I would like to retain copyright while allowing people to pin my images.

view photos

the flybird says:

i appreciate this option - but i WANT my photos to be pin-able on pinterest... how can we revert to the settings that allow blog readers to pin my flickr photos???

view photos

Boots in the Oven says:

Having the same problem; my photos are all public, visible to API searches, but when I try to pin them the pin screen shows them for a moment, and then they disappear. The same thing happens whether I try to pin my flickr pictures from Flickr or from my blog.

I'm frustrated that this is likely happening to people who want to share my content on Pinterest, as well. Any idea when things might be fixed?

view photos

JohnCumisky says:

You have sharing disabled, which will prevent pinning

view photos

Boots in the Oven says:

Thanks, John, makes sense. But is pretty frustrating; I can share my own content anywhere I want except Pinterest, basically? It's also strange that it was working fine up until just a couple of days ago... wondering what changed.

ETA: (Also, I just changed my settings to allow sharing, and the same thing is still happening...)

view photos

JohnCumisky says:

You can share your own stuff using the Pinterest right click plugin and a little ingenuity, pretty much like you can download stuff when downloading is disabled.
I won't go into details here, but it is fairly simple if you think about it.

I just pinned one of yours here, I will delete later

view photos

Flickr Staff

tedd4u PRO says:

Hi folks - please let me know if you're still unable to pin your own stuff (even if you have sharing disabled here Flickr Settings: Allowing sharing).

view photos

owlreally PRO says:

I am unable to pin my photos from flickr or from my website where I post my flickr images. I have allowed sharing.

view photos

The Domestic Front PRO says:

I'm unable to pin my own stuff too. Well, anything that's involved me being a "good girl" and using the Flickr sharing tag (which links back to flickr) can't be pinned, but if I just hotlink the photo I think it can be pinned.

view photos

owlreally PRO says:

I finally have it working, for now, I think.

I had done all the recommended items in this thread- and all my photos were set to public originally. I batch edited them and set them to public again (even though they were already public) and now it seems to work.

view photos

The Domestic Front PRO says:

Actually, scratch my last comment. I can't pin my own images from my website whether they're hotlinked or link back to flickr.

view photos

mpix123 PRO says:

I should be able to pin MY OWN PHOTOS as part of my choice, not Flickr. Flickr is starting to be way toi interested in itself.

view photos

Flickr Staff

tedd4u PRO says:

Update

There are a few reasons you might not be able to pin your own photos or others' photos (see below). If you are experiencing anything different than this, please post the URL for the page that isn't working and describe what happened so we can investigate. Thanks!

Pinning your own photos

• If you're using the Pin It! button (or "bookmarklet") and you have disabled sharing, you need to be logged in as the owner of the photo to share it. If you are not logged in to Flickr, or logged in as a user other than the owner of the photo, pinning won't work. (If you wish to change this setting, it's located here: Your account / Allowing sharing.)

• If you are using the "Add +" button on Pinterest, pinning won't work if you have disabled sharing, even if your browser is logged into Flickr. Use the Pin It! button instead. (If you wish to change this setting, it's located here: Your account / Allowing sharing.)

Pinning any photos

• The photo needs to be public and safe. Pinning will not work with non-public or non-safe content.

• If the photo owner has disabled 3rd party API access, pinning will not work. This affects even your OWN photos. (If you wish to disable that setting, go to this page and make sure the second checkbox is NOT checked: Your account / Hiding from search.)

view photos

Paul Dykes PRO says:

I still can't pin my public photos when I'm logged in as myself, with sharing disabled within Flickr. The image appears temporarily on the Pin It selection page, then I'm returned to the Flickr image page with an error message saying "Sorry, couldn't find any pinnable images or video on this page." I've tried adding the Pinterest bookmarklet again to my bookmarks bar and restarting my laptop, but still no joy. It happens with all of my public photos, so here's the URL of my latest upload www.flickr.com/photos/paulodykes/6937315416/.

Bizarrely, just now I was able to pin this photo – but then when I tried to repeat this with another image, and then again with the one above, I was unable to.

view photos

Flickr Staff

tedd4u PRO says:

Paulo - thanks for the information. We're looking at it now.

view photos

mbaylor PRO says:

I am still not able to pin either. I am logged in and all of my settings match what was listed above in order to be able to pin. I was trying to pin this blog post (sewingnovice.com/2012/04/12/hooded-towel-free-pattern/)

view photos

Flickr Staff

tedd4u PRO says:

mbaylor - thanks for posting. Can you tell me what you experience when you try to pin from the sewingnovice.com blog page? Do the photos not show up when you click the "Pin It" button?

view photos

Brenda Anderson PRO says:

I still can't pin my photos using the Pin It bookmarklet (photos public,safe; sharing turned off, logged in).

view photos

Full Fork Ahead PRO says:

This is ridiculous. Pinning from my site (where I use my Flickr-uploaded photos) was working last week. In answer to the recent updates:

"• If you're using the Pin It! button (or "bookmarklet") and you have disabled sharing, you need to be logged in as the owner of the photo to share it. If you are not logged in to Flickr, or logged in as a user other than the owner of the photo, pinning won't work. (If you wish to change this setting, it's located here: Your account / Allowing sharing.)"

I have never disabled sharing on my account here, but pinning is now not working. I am always logged in to Flickr.

"• If you are using the "Add +" button on Pinterest, pinning won't work if you have disabled sharing, even if your browser is logged into Flickr. Use the Pin It! button instead. (If you wish to change this setting, it's located here: Your account / Allowing sharing.)"

Again, I never disabled sharing here. So why did pinning to Pinterest suddenly stop working? What did Flickr do?

"• The photo needs to be public and safe. Pinning will not work with non-public or non-safe content."

First of all - way to be the photo police for Pinterest. Second - my account has always been deemed safe by Flickr and I always make my food blog photos public here on Flickr once their corresponding posts go live on my blog.

"• If the photo owner has disabled 3rd party API access, pinning will not work. This affects even your OWN photos. (If you wish to disable that setting, go to this page and make sure the second checkbox is NOT checked: Your account / Hiding from search.)"

I have never disabled 3rd party API access. But suddenly, again, there is no ability to PIN.

All the things Flickr says are causing the problems - our own setting choices, apparently, are clearly not causing the problems. So once again, Flickr, what did you do to everyone's accounts here that we paid for?

I've come to depend on the generosity of folks wanting to share our food blog work via Pinterest and the like. This is screwing with that big time. I can understand if some don't want people to be able to pin their work, but that means then that those of us who DO want that get the shaft? Why? When will there be a solution that doesn't involve our settings here because I think Flickr has run out of options there to blame.

view photos

kentbrew PRO says:

Full Fork Ahead: I can pin from your site as of a moment ago:

pinterest.com/pin/99360735499075347/

Please try again?

view photos

kentbrew PRO says:

mbaylor: I'm seeing a tiny difference between the images linked from your site and the images showing on your Flickr pages. This image, for example:

static.flickr.com/7050/6793968384_106834c692.jpg

... links here:

www.flickr.com/photos/47469309@N00/6793968384/

... but fails Flickr's oembed lookup.

When I look at All Sizes, here:

www.flickr.com/photos/baylors/6793968384/sizes/m/in/photo...

... the photo corresponding to the size you have on sewingnovice.com shows a slightly different URL:

farm8.static.flickr.com/7050/6793968384_106834c692.jpg

There's a single character of difference, the number 8 after "farm." This URL gets through Flickr's oembed lookup with flying colors and shows as a pinnable image. Would you please try it on your blog and see if it helps?

view photos

mbaylor PRO says:

Sorry about the delayed response. When I hit the pinmarklet all of the pictures show up but they are grayed out and get the message on each picture saying something along the lines of sorry, image cannot be pinned.

I add the photos to sewingnovice.com via the the flickr importer for Windows Live Writer.

I just tried again though and it appears to be working now. I did not change anything today.

view photos

Flickr Staff

tedd4u PRO says:

mbaylor - The tool you're using has a bug but we were able to work around it. Glad it's working for you now!

view photos

Flickr Staff

tedd4u PRO says:

Full Fork Ahead - I understand your frustration. Thanks for posting in the forum.

Like kentbrew, I was able to pin all the images from your blog page "Lobster & Shells | Full Fork Ahead" using the Pin It! button.

Can you check again? If it's not working could you post the link to the page where you see the problem?

Thanks,
Tim

view photos

I'm still unable to pin any of my own public, safe photos (with sharing turned off). Is that still a bug?

view photos

Flickr Staff

tedd4u PRO says:

Hi Brenda - I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you yet. We are continuing to research the issue. Even with sharing disabled in your preferences, you should be able to share from your own photo page (as long as you are logged in and don't have API opt-out turned on).

view photos

Ok. I should, but I can't... just wanted to make sure it was still a known issue. I'll be patient.

view photos

mbaylor PRO says:

tedd4u - thanks so much for all of your help!

view photos

_ErikaJean_ says:

Hope this get's fixed soon!

view photos

Patrick Costello PRO says:

It looks like you have Sharing disabled. Do you have API opt out enabled or disabled?

view photos

It's Great To Be Home PRO says:

I am also having the problem of my shared, non-private images not being pinnable - see here: itsgreattobehome.net/2012/04/19/how-to-sew-a-no-fail-crib.... I do not have the API opt-out turned on. This is super frustrating and any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

view photos

Flickr Staff

tedd4u PRO says:

It's Great To Be Home - hi - I just visited the blog page you included in your post and used the Pin It button. I see all the images and I was able to pin this one: pinterest.com/pin/181832903675298938/. Can you describe your problem in more detail? Are you using the Pin It button on your blog or the "Add +" button on Pinterest.com? What do you see when you use it? Does the image appear but fail to pin or does the image you want to pin just not appear when you try to pin? Thanks.

view photos

Flickr Staff

tedd4u PRO says:

_ErikaJean_ - Hi, as Patrick mentioned, Sharing is disabled in your account preferences.

You can enable Sharing here: Your Account / Allowing sharing (choose "Yes" and hit Save). If you do that your Pin It button should work fine from your blog page.

If you'd prefer not to enable sharing, you can still pin, but you need to pin from a photo page on Flickr.com, not from your blog pages. For example, your Pin It button should work from this page: _ErikaJean_: Snake.

view photos

Jenelle@E&A says:

Is it possible that Flickr could instigate some sort of variable sharing option rather than the on/off switch? I really don't like that our choice is to either make it completely open and available for sharing on all platforms (with the added facebook, twitter, and tumblr share feature on every photo) or not at all.

What I would really like to have available is the ability to limit those sharing options on Flickr with my public photos, but make pinning possible from my blogger hosted blog when I post photos there directly linked from Flickr. I would prefer any Pinterest traffic to go through my blog site, not through Flickr. It would be great if perhaps we had the option to select which platforms we wished to make our photos sharable on (such as Pinterest, Facebook, etc...).

view photos

ikelleigh says:

I just tried to pin a photo of mine while logged on to Flickr and I get a pop-up that says "the owner does not allow sharing" or something. I looked at my settings and Allow others to share your stuff is set to Yes.

Any ideas? Thanks.

view photos

Flickr Staff

protohiro PRO says:

ikelleigh - As tedd4u said:
If the photo owner has disabled 3rd party API access, pinning will not work. This affects even your OWN photos. (If you wish to disable that setting, go to this page and make sure the second checkbox is NOT checked: Your account / Hiding from search.)

- Jenelle@E&A Thank you for the suggestion, it is something we might think about in the future. As to having your pinterest traffic go through your blog, this is a Pinterest issue, not a Flickr issue. Pinterest is automatically looking up information about the photo from Flickr so that they can properly attribute it. If you would like a different behavior you are going to have to talk to them.

view photos

julip made PRO says:

I can't pin images (using the pin it bookmarklet) from my own website (www.julipmade.com) when logged in on both blogger and Flickr as myself. I have sharing enabled, the photos are all public and safe, and I have enabled 3rd party sharing. Why is this still not working? Please advise. Thanks!

view photos

Flickr Staff

tedd4u PRO says:

Hi julip made - thanks for including all the information. I can duplicate the problem here and we're looking into it.

view photos

watling777 PRO says:

I have API access enabled but am unable to pin my own photos from the photo page. The photo briefly shows as an option to pin before disappearing and leaving just map images available. This behavior is the same whether or not sharing is enabled.

view photos

Unskinny Boppy PRO says:

This morning I had a publisher from magazine contact me to discuss an opportunity for my design ideas from my blog to be feature in their upcoming issues.

When she asked if I had any holiday photos I was excited to send her this link: unskinnyboppy.blogspot.com/2011/12/christmas-cookie-swap-...

Until I discovered that half of my images have vanished.

I've been going through my site for hours recoding previous blog entries. I've barely made a dent. This is a nightmare. The depth of my disappointment and frustration right now cannot be put into words. I can see no rhyme or reason the missing images. This issue goes way beyond the no-pin issue. This is years and years of image content vanishing with no easy way of putting it back together. I'm heartbroken right now that incredible opportunities have arisen for me today and my blog is so broken I'm ashamed to share it with anyone.

view photos

Jenelle@E&A says:

- Protohiro What I mean in regards to having all Pinterest traffic going through my blog site is that I would like to disable pinning directly from my public Flickr photostream while still having the option to allow pinning from my blog. I am speaking strictly about a having a variable share setting built into Flickr (not at all about the way Pinterest attributes images).

view photos

Linda's Many Muses PRO says:

Finally- I can pin my own work again. Hurrah.
Linda's Many Muses edited this topic 41 months ago.

view photos

Verbal Mélange PRO says:

Still can't pin my photos either. I've allowed sharing, the photos are public and safe, I'm logged in to both Flickr and Blogger, and I've followed all the instructions here. When I try to pin using the Pin It bookmarklet, the images appear, then disappear one by one from the "choose an image" page. The URL is verbalmelange.blogspot.com.

(Ideally I'd like for anyone to be able to pin my images, not just me when I'm logged in.)

view photos

imaginegnats says:

i am also unable to pin any of my flickr photos, whether using the pin it bookmarklet or the pin this button within my blog posts. i have checked my settings and they appear to be correct... like some others have mentioned, the images do appear and then disappear from the choose an image page. blog address is imaginegnats.blogspot.com/

thank you.

view photos

drollgirl PRO says:

i can't pin either, although i was able to weeks ago. settings all look good and i am logged in. help! please!

drollgirl.com

view photos

coco+kelley PRO says:

if i change all the settings on my photos to allow visibility, it's going to change all the codes for those photos and they will disappear from my blog. we are talking about FIVE YEARS OF POSTS. this is costing me readership, time and money. as someone who is PAYING for this hosting service i'm incredibly disappointed by flickr just making this choice for us. why can't it be an option to disable pinning on all photos? also, i have received no response to my follow up emails regarding this topic. i'm at my wits end. seriously.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Xerxes2K PRO says:

coco-kelley – Changing your privacy settings to be less restrictive (e.g. from private to public) will not alter the URLs of your photos on Flickr, so you are on the safe side if you make them public, as they will still show the same way on your blog. Only changing them to be more restrictive does change the URLs to protect your privacy.

view photos

Xyling PRO says:

"Who can access your original image files? Anyone
Allow others to share your stuff Yes "

I am logged in, the pictures can be seen by anyone, and yet they are unpinnable.

view photos

Flickr Staff

eMiLy @_@ says:

Hi there,

You have opted out from 3rd party API access which is why you won't able to pin your own photos. You can change the option here:

www.flickr.com/account/prefs/optout/?from=privacy

view photos

nikkipolani PRO says:

Still can't pin my own images -- they're public, I'm logged in, 3rd party accessible.

view photos

watling777 PRO says:

I am still unable to pin my own public images from the photo page while logged in. I've triple checked that 3rd party api access is enabled. I don't have sharing enabled as I'd like to be the only one who can. Is there another setting I'm missing?

view photos

watling777 PRO says:

(triple posted)

view photos

watling777 PRO says:

(triple posted)

view photos

arlee says:

WHY then i f i have disabled sharing in my setttings on ALL of my photos, are people still able to pin them directly from Flickr????????

view photos

bbsaatci says:

Hello PLS Help.

In my status: I "allowed sharing" but I sitll can not pin from my blog: www.offnegiysem.com/

Need Help.

view photos

Flickr Staff

eMiLy @_@ says:

Hello bbsaatci,

I've check the images on your blog, they are private photos. You can only pin public/safe photos.

view photos

bbsaatci says:

Thanks a lot Emily!

view photos

Creative Fashion says:

Just today I found out that I cannot pin my own photos posted at my blog that are hosted here in Flikr. Pinterest is a great source of traffic and Flikr is a great host for images to save my band width. Now I am made to choose between two..

Why all my Flikr images, even if they´re public, cannot be pinned?

view photos

Bob Palin PRO says:

Because you have disabled sharing. You can still share from within Flickr but on your blog Flickr doesn't know who you are.

view photos

Vanilla Sugar Blog PRO says:

anyone know how to get rid of that line in Pinterest when you pin stuff, the line at bottom of each pin that shows you are a Flickr member along with the Flickr color/logo? I do not want that shown.

view photos

Miss Matilda says:

Will there be a work around for people who do not have public images but do want them pin-able?
I have 7 years worth of blog photos hosted on flickr and I'd like them to be able to be pinned but I don't want to change the privacy level on all those photos. I don't want to make all my comments on flickr public.
Posted 40 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

BooRadBop PRO says:

Sharing has always been disabled on my photos, and I don't allow 3rd party searches.... both things that Flickr says to do to discourage Tumblr and Pinterest pins. Yet I STILL get photos appearing on Pinterest. WHY??

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

BooRadBop

Sharing has always been disabled on my photos, and I don't allow 3rd party searches.... Yet I STILL get photos appearing on Pinterest. WHY?

You have 607 public items in your photostream.

When staff said above: "If the photo owner has disabled 3rd party API access, pinning will not work. This affects even your OWN photos", they meant the pinning button on Flickr, not pinning in general.

Any user of any other site can get at any photo that's public on any site. It might be a little more difficult for them, but not very difficult.

As I responded on page one of this thread:

"Using the 'no sharing' option in your Flickr account settings does only a couple of things: (1) takes away the Share button for other viewers seeing your stuff and (2) now, adds the 'no pin' metatag for pinterest.

But selecting 'no sharing' doesn't hide your public photos. It doesn't hide the URL of the photopage. It doesn't hide the static URL of your .jpg files. Anything you've marked as public is "out there" -- other people can see it and get it.

For anything that's publicly viewable, anyone who wants can copy / save / download / link to / display elsewhere those images. It doesn't mean they're supposed to, but ethics/legality notwithstanding, the technical ability will always be there."

view photos

BooRadBop PRO says:

Wil, I understand that. However, my photos I've found on Pinterest DO link back to my Flickr stream. Therefore, I'm assuming they were "pinned" via the standard method. Which is why I'm wondering HOW, since I've disabled the Share and No 3rd Party Searches, which is what the Flickr admins said would deter people from pinning. So do I just not have the 'no pin' metatag on my photos? If not, then why, since I've followed Flickr's instructions for it?
Posted 39 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

BooRadBop PRO says:

I just checked one of the photos (raspberries) that was pinned. It DOES say, "you cannot pin this" when you hover over the Pinterest button under "Share". So, did they just grab the URL? Because it does indeed link back to my stream.
BooRadBop edited this topic 39 months ago.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

BooRadBop

The Pinterest user could've added the link. It's the same with Tumblr. Just because it links back, doesn't mean they used Flickr's tools.

In fact, many internet users seem to think that providing a link to the original location makes it okay to infringe on copyrights.

view photos

BooRadBop PRO says:

Thanks, Wil.
I worry that the ease with which people can use photos on the internet is creating a solid mentality of "well, it's on the internet, so it's fair game". And if photographers don't keep fighting against the thieves and that mentality, we're screwed, because eventually it'll just become a matter of fact that artists give up all rights once something's posted online. The tide is so against us, I worry that eventually we're going to give up trying to stop it, just from sheer exhaustion.
Years ago on Flickr, I came across a young woman who was passing off images stolen from the internet, as her own. Even ones with clear-as-day copyright marks right on them. When I called her on it, she was very blasé about it, saying, "Why are you getting so upset? They're just photos!". THIS is the attitude I fear we're instilling in people. And watering down the fact that the photographer spent time and energy taking those photos, not to mention likely years of study, practice and honing to get the images people find appealing. But it seems people (especially younger generations) are so used to thinking of photos as "free", they fail to understand the work that went into them.
It's gotten to the point where I don't post my best photos on Flickr any more, and I just use it as mostly a "diary" of what's going on in my life. The same goofy stuff someone would post on say, Facebook. Sad.
I know it's a Photo Sharing Site, but I really wish Flickr was more of a serious photography site and work harder to deter theft and backing up photographers, instead of adding "share" buttons like Pinterest, and THEN backtracking and giving opt out options when people complain.
I know, I know... if it's on the internet, it can be stolen. I get it. I just don't like that we're letting that mentality prevail and become the "norm", instead of educating people about the ethics of it.

view photos

arlee says:

Though this article is about music, it pertains to PinHerCrap and tumblr thieves as well, especially this paragraph : "The fundamental shift in principals and morality is about who gets to control and exploit the work of an artist. The accepted norm for hunddreds of years of western civilization is the artist exclusively has the right to exploit and control his/her work for a period of time. (Since the works that are are almost invariably the subject of these discussions are popular culture of one type or another, the duration of the copyright term is pretty much irrelevant for an ethical discussion.) By allowing the artist to treat his/her work as actual property, the artist can decide how to monetize his or her work. This system has worked very well for fans and artists. Now we are being asked to undo this not because we think this is a bad or unfair way to compensate artists but simply because it is technologically possible for corporations or individuals to exploit artists work without their permission on a massive scale and globally. We are being asked to continue to let these companies violate the law without being punished or prosecuted. We are being asked to change our morality and principals to match what I think are immoral and unethical business models."
Whole article is here thetrichordist.wordpress.com/2012/06/18/letter-to-emily-w...

view photos

alicia_bayer says:

I discovered today that I can't pin images on my own blog. I did everything instructed in this thread and it still doesn't work. Here's the page I was trying to pin: magicalchildhood.wordpress.com/2012/06/19/play-is-the-wor...

I am like others in this thread. I do NOT want to make all of my Flickr pages and content public or permit sharing (even though I changed a lot of settings to ones I'm not comfortable with in order to try to fix this today). I merely want to be able to pin from my own blog the photos I'm posting myself and Flickr should not automatically make that impossible.

Pinterest is a huge source of traffic and revenue for a lot of bloggers and writers. My main source of writing money is on examiner.com and they host their own photos so it's not an issue most of the time for me, but I'm disgusted that I can't pin my OWN blog posts when I WANT to pin them because of some arbitrary decision that I had no say in.

It would be a huge headache to go back and change the settings to just the photos I'd like to show up on Pinterest via my blog. Why can't Flickr stay out of it unless people OPT IN and ask to check whatever setting would disable pinning???????

I repeat: I do not want all my photos public and "share alike" on Flickr! I only want to be able to pin the photos that I've publicly blogged. That should not be Flickr's concern.

Please fix this.

view photos

alicia_bayer says:

Update: I edited that blog entry to use my own files on my computer so I could pin it. It turns out WordPress has a pretty big file limit and for now I'll use my own pics and stop using Flickr for blogging. At this point, I don't expect to continue my paid service here anymore in light of these changes, since I already have my photos backed up elsewhere and I can no longer use it for blogging. I have zero interest in changing my settings so that people can view and use my images, so I'll be changing those settings back (not that it even worked for pinning) and just finding new photo options besides Flickr.

view photos

jakerome PRO says:

Oh, are we going there? Well then...

---------------

He lost me at,

I would suggest to you that, like so many other policies in our society, it is up to us individually to put pressure on our governments and private corporations to act ethically and fairly when it comes to artists rights.

And here's the fundamental flaw,

Rather than using our morality and principles to guide us through technological change, there are those asking us to change our morality and principles to fit the technological change–if a machine can do something, it ought to be done.

There is nothing innately "immoral" about sharing music. Or copying books, paintings or anything else. It was monkly work for centuries. 1000 years ago the concept of "stealing" a song simply didn't exist. Monks were not immoral for copying books-- after creating their copy, the original still existed! It was NEVER immoral. It isn't immoral. It's simply illegal.

Now, reproduction costs have gone from being measured in weeks of labor to seconds. Costs have dropped from thousands to hundreds to almost nothing. Production costs have been on a similar trajectory... recording an album required a record label with a million dollar studio in the 1960s. Now? I think you could pull it off for $10K.

The law has ALWAYS adjusted to reflect advances in technology, even if the underlying morality was the same. Why should today be different?

The fundamental shift in principals and morality is about who gets to control and exploit the work of an artist. The accepted norm for hudreds of years of western civilization is the artist exclusively has the right to exploit and control his/her work for a period of time. (Since the works that are are almost invariably the subject of these discussions are popular culture of one type or another, the duration of the copyright term is pretty much irrelevant for an ethical discussion.)

Wow, where to begin? The artists rights to control his/her work has always been usurped by his/her benefactor. Record labels own the copyright, not the artists. Ditto publishers. Only recently have artists (writers, photographers, musicians) on a mass scale been able to affordably produce & distribute their own work profitably to a mass audience. What a revolution! For the first time, artists are in control! The record labels want to put that genie back into the bottle, and have viciously attacked every new distribution method to arise for the past century plus. The player piano would destroy live music! The phonograph would surely be its end! Radio will be the end of it! Home taping is killing music! MP3 players are illegal and I'll sue anyone that makes one! Music lockers must be stopped (unless they can afford to hire lawyers)! Megaupload is a pirate's den, even (especially?) if there are musicians earning money through its services. Bit Torrent! The Pirate Bay!

Big Music's answer to everything is to enlist the government in a crusade to preserve their current business model. And movies do the same thing, witness TV, VCRs and YouTube, all of which combined provide far more than half of Hollywood revenues.

Now is just about the FIRST time the artist is in control, he can produce the music he wants, and distributes it how he wants. He doesn't need the record labels anymore... and that scares the crap out of record labels and their massive legacy costs.

Oh man, it gets worse (better)!

They are the venture capitalists that raise money for these sites. They are the hardware makers that sell racks of servers to these companies. And so on and so on.

that's it! The entire world must adapt their business practices so that we don't have to change our business models as the technology around us massively advances. The sheer arrogance of such a statement! It's mind boggling.

I knew it would get to this.

So in this neighborhood people simply loot all the products from the shelves of the record store.

Nope. Nope. Nope. Making a duplicate copy while leaving the original untouched and unchanged is in no way equivalent to taking a physical good that requires considerable expense to replace.

A better analogy? Little Johnny makes a drawing in his Kindergarten class. Little Marie sees Johnny's drawing and draws the same thing. If you were Marie's teacher, what would you do?

1) Praise Marie for making such a great drawing;
2) Scold Marie for committing copyright infringement, brand her a filthy pirate and suggest to Johnny's parents that they sue Marie's parents for $150,000 per infraction.

If you answered (2), congratulations, you have a future working for the RIAA!

The internet is full of stories from artists detailing just how little they receive from Spotify.

Which is, of course, dwarfed by the number of musicians (excluding songwriters) who have received more than $0 from radio stations. Heck, record labels PAY the radio stations to play their music! So what's his point?

You could also write your Congressman and Senator and suggest they come up with some way to divert the flow of advertising money back to the artists.

Aye, there's the crux. We need to enlist the government to support our industry since the legacy players refuse to modify their business model to adapt to changing market conditions & technology.

view photos

jakerome PRO says:

TL;DR:

The trichordist wants the government to pass laws mandating that all internet companies and internet users pay massive taxes to support musicians & record labels. That's nutters.

view photos

Xyling PRO says:

So, did the Flickr folks just give up on this issue?

Still can't pin my own stuff, FFS.
Posted 38 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Belledecouture3 says:

Is Flikr still working this issue? I still cannot pin any photos I post on my blog: belledecouture.com.
Posted 38 months ago. ( permalink )

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

1 2 next →
(101 to 177 of 177 replies in [Official Thread] Adding Pinterest's "nopin" meta tag)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads