Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

Hey there, Flickr Pro, nice to see you again!
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Official Thread] New version of Flickr's embed code
Latest: 15 hours ago
Flickr/Yahoo login issues.
Latest: 35 hours ago

Current Discussion

Flickr, please put an end to the mass spam-followers!
Latest: 13 seconds ago
Problem getting image code in windows 10
Latest: 5 minutes ago
Security settings to allow downloads
Latest: 16 minutes ago
Issue with sharing
Latest: 39 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Introducing the New Groups Experience
Latest: 52 minutes ago
[Investigating] Today, yet again, Flickr is totally unusable
Latest: 67 minutes ago
A troubles with flickr support
auto download (by sync) of a single Flickr album
The Adobe CC discount for PRO members doesn't look like 20% to me!
Flickr Uploadr does not work properly.
My friends can't view my Flickr albums
Latest: 3 hours ago
***[STILL A BUG FOR SOME USERS]*** Album sharing incorrectly states safe content is restricted
Latest: 3 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Thread] Adding Pinterest's "nopin" meta tag

ɹǝʇǝd PRO says:

Pinterest recently released a code snippet (meta tag) that can be added to websites to prevent content from being pinable:

<meta name="pinterest" content="nopin" />

Is there a way Flickr could add this as an option somewhere to prevent images from being pinned on Pinterest?

=== Staff update 20 March 2012 ===
This issue has been resolved for most users. For the latest troubleshooting information see tedd4u's update.

If you've made sure to follow the instructions there and you're still having trouble, please post to this discussion and be sure to include the page from which you're trying to Pin (photo page, photostream, blog post) and what you see (images appear grayed out, image pops in but disappears or other).

=== Staff update 16 March 2012 ===
Some of you might currently be experiencing issues with pinning your own content. These are related to changes that we are working on with the Pinterest team and will hopefully be resolved shortly. Please see protohiro's update for details.
Posted at 1:52PM, 22 February 2012 PDT ( permalink )
tedd4u (staff) edited this topic 40 months ago.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 177 replies in [Official Thread] Adding Pinterest's "nopin" meta tag)
view photos

kmacgray PRO says:

Since you're asking for a feature request, the appropriate place for that is Flickr Ideas:

www.flickr.com/groups/flickrideas/
Posted 42 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Flickr Staff

protohiro PRO says:

Hi, we liked this idea so much we went ahead and did it. The photo page now includes this tag if you have opted out of sharing (or if it is not a public photo).

Thanks for the suggestion!

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

protohiro

Thank you...

(I've sent a handful of DMCA notices to Pinterest over the past couple of weeks; apparently they create new copies of our content when the "pin" it. DMCAs have worked, but it's a lot of trouble.)

view photos

RubyMae PRO says:

Does that mean flickr has automagically added the tag for me (I've opted out of sharing)? If so excellent.

If not, then what do I need to do to add that tag to my photos?

view photos

Flickr Staff

protohiro PRO says:

Yes, it is automatic, and your photos have the tag.

view photos

.•۫◦۪°•OhSoBoHo•۫◦۪°• PRO says:

Did this just happen? I ask as I pinned some of my own images on pinterest this morning and now I cant seem to..(I presume unless I change the share setting) ?

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

.•۫◦۪°•OhSoBoHo•۫◦۪°•

I don't think you can disable sharing for yourself; at least not usually.

This might be different though, as the pin feature may not work through normal sharing channels.

You could always test it by enabling sharing, trying to pin something, and seeing if it works.

view photos

Яick Harris PRO says:

Speaking of DMCA, any comment on those that file false NOIs?

view photos

.•۫◦۪°•OhSoBoHo•۫◦۪°• PRO says:

No I mean I like my 'no share' setting as it kinda stops Tumblr fiends from nicking my images but I happened to start a board on pinterest today using some of my own images and it worked and now it wont - and I understand its because of this share setting and the new meta tag they have enabled in our links? Just making sure I understand..
I am happy about it as I dont want my images being pinned and repinned over and over as it does on other sites esp as this is mostly without my permission

view photos

Flickr Staff

protohiro PRO says:

You should be able to pin your own photos, as long as they are public, it is meant to follow your share settings, we will make sure this is correct tomorrow. Just verified it, seems to be working correctly. You can't pin private photos, however.

view photos

Celeste M (more off than on) PRO says:

Thank you, great news!

view photos

ɹǝʇǝd PRO says:

Thanks for this and for the quick response! I'm impressed.

view photos

Patrick Costello PRO says:

I'm guessing any response on that topic needs to be ratified by Yahoo Legal. Given the normal speed at which lawyers work, maybe check back in a few months :-)

view photos

pastelsandpencils PRO says:

I guess the really major advance would be to have separate sharing status for the originator and other people.

That way those who want to prevent others sharing our images willy nilly could stop that happening while still being able to selectively share our own images as we choose on sites which make us feel comfortable.

I took the bulk of my photos offline because of a third party using the Flickr share facility. They were happily using my images despite the all rights reserved notice and the fact they'd never contacted me to ask permission. Flickr said the only way I could prevent the sharing was to make them private. That resulted in images which I was sharing publicly (ie you could see them) - in the belief that nobody could/would take them because of the copyright status - then disappeared from view.

When exactly are we going to get something that stops people from taking images when the owner opts for all rights reserved as the status?

view photos

"separate sharing status for the originator and other people."

That's how it currently works. See the staff post from Stephen, above.

view photos

All rights reserved is not a status; it's a licensing statement.
Anything that can be viewed on the internet can be copied/downloaded.
It doesn't make it legal, but it's a technical reality. To view an image in your browser, you must first download that image to your browser cache.

view photos

jakerome PRO says:

Newsflash!

Flickr disables Pinterest pins on all copyrighted images (exclusive)

Think someone should tell Flickr? *drills tongue through cheek*

venturebeat.com/2012/02/24/flickr-pinterest-pin/

view photos

Яick Harris PRO says:

Disabling is the new sharing. It would be nice to have an account of the new rules, wouldn't it?

view photos

jakerome PRO says:

The worst part is it appears Flickr explained EXACTLY what they did with nopin. But the reporter apparently has no idea how Flickr actually operates and so made the leap to falsely claim that copyright images can no longer be pinned. I wonder if she doesn't know what the word means?

I imagine it was a silly oversight, as the writer was thrilled to get an "exclusive." And now its on Techmeme, likely viral by tomorrow.

But hey, she was first!

view photos

bayoulady66 says:

This is good to know. I do understand this dilemma, however as fast as Pinterest is growing and It's anticipated growth aren't some of you worried about your talent not being shared. Such a shame. I think this may drive Pinterest users away from Flickr.

view photos

heinisch_markus PRO says:

Thanks for paying attention to out my copyright interests. I have just changed my setting "Allow others to share your stuff" to "No". Can you tell me where I can find the meta tags that will be included into my flickr pages? Sorry, can't find any "nopin" meta tag.
Thanks for your help, Markus

view photos

Brenda Anderson PRO says:

It's automatic.

view photos

visp PRO says:

Also note that you won't get the nopin metatag on your own photopages while you are signed in. (You are always free to do whatever you want with your own pictures - just like with the download deterrents)

You can log out of your account and then look at one of your photos to check - it will be there.

view photos

cteresa says:

I just tried, while logged out from flickr, and even with sharing set to NO I am able to pin photos with all rights reserved and which I know are set to NO sharing.

Am I missing something?

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

cteresa

Just to test, can you try "pinning" one of my images? My account is set to allow no sharing by anyone but me. You can remove it afterward if you don't want to clutter your Pinterest page with crappy photos; but I'm curious about this.

view photos

cteresa says:

yes, just managed to pin it (and deleted it now)

view photos

cteresa says:

BTW I am using opera for pinterest and using this little pin it widget for opera which I do not remember where I got. That explains it, the widget must be older than this meta thing. Pinterest really should work it out with them.

But if I go to pinterest and click add pin and put the photo page URL, then I do indeed get the no photo detected at this url. Except that IMO that is not how people really do pins, they use the pin-it thingies when they are on a page.

view photos

The Ewan PRO says:

You should be able to check yourself, even without using pinterest - just have a look at the source of one of your photo pages and search for the string 'pinterest' - you should see the relevant bit of code (it's not complicated).

I've just tried it on yours Wil, and it's there on the photo page and the 'All Sizes' page, but not, it seems, on the photostream pages.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

cteresa
The Ewan

Thank you both for testing.

So, what we've learned is that adding the "no pin" tag only has an effect if users are pinning from the actual Pinterest site?

(Oh well, not that big a deal I guess. Anyone using any site can post any of our public images pretty easily...)

view photos

cteresa says:

It is not working with this particular pin it thingie on opera - which makes sense since likely that Pin-it thingie is older than the meta thing on pinterest. But it makes the pinterest meta opt out seem like ridiculously innefectual and just for show.

There is drama in the future for pinterest regarding copyright issues, I think. It will be interesting to watch.

Second, I have been using pinterest for uh at least 48 weeks. It was all pretty quiet at first, now it is sort of exploding. There are tons of activity there, but quoting and attributing etiquette is sort of unknown. I have to follow many things often to find the original source on flickr and comment there.

view photos

falconn67 PRO says:

What does this mean for photos that are already posted on those sites, specifically Tumblr? I happened to have spent last night doing my regular search for my things on there and found about a half dozen different photos, although I have the "do not share" option selected.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

falconn67

specifically Tumblr?

The "no pin" tag being discussed in this thread has no effect on Tumblr, if that's what you're asking.

In my experience, Tumblr users are able to create and publish new copies of any image they can see on the internet.

On the other hand, Tumblr has been very quick to remove my images I've found there when I report them using their form.

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

How is stopping a site from making copies of All Rights Reserved content a "new rule"? Even if that reporter was correct and they blocked all ARR content, it would still seem to follow existing rules on content. the API can be used to display content outside of Flickr, but not by making new copies of the content without user permission.

if Pinterest is making copies and storing them locally, then they would be guilty of massive copyright violations.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

if Pinterest is making copies and storing them locally

They are. ... At least for all the images I filed DMCA notices against -- they'd been copied from my Flickr and stored in Pinterest's servers. (When I reported the violations, I reported both the page where the image had been posted and the .jpg in their servers.)

They were removed promptly, but I assume it's similar to the way Tumblr works -- they don't run through the API, but store all images in their own servers.

view photos

Thomas Hawk PRO says:

All you have to do is use FitrFlickr to get around this.

thomashawk.com/2012/02/flickr-disables-posting-default-al...

view photos

heinisch_markus PRO says:

Yeah, logged out and I saw the nopin meta tag!
Thanks!!

view photos

g.porter@sbcglobal.net says:

What's to keep someone from simply making a screen grab and pinning it? If you're really that determined to pin something, it can be done.

Also, what if someone WANTS to be pinned (with attribution, of course--which polite pinners are pretty good about in my experience)?

view photos

Thomas Hawk PRO says:

g.porter, if you want to let people pin your photos just go here and select the "yes, please, that would be lovely" option.

Nothing is going to stop people from making a screen grab and uploading it to pinterest and nothing is going to prevent them from simply going to your original image file as hosted on flickr and pinning it from there (at least right now). If people care that much about their stuff not being shared on the web they probably are best advised not to upload it publicly at all.

view photos

jakerome PRO says:

My goodness, it's amazing the speed with which such wrong information can spread across the internet. This Pinterest thing is fascinating... I surprised this was even worthy of a news story (did Tumblr get the same treatment on Techmeme).

Regardless, Flickr might want to point the tech press over to the Aaron Hockney article, which gets all the details right.

aaronhockley.com/venturebeat-flickr-pinterest-copyright/

view photos

Flickr Staff

deerkoski PRO says:

We added the nopin tag based on the feedback from this forum, to respect your share settings of your own photos, by telling Pinterest your sharing settings.

To avoid confusion, we've made a change, so that when you attempt to pin your own safe photos, regardless of your sharing settings, we never pass the nopin tag, as long as they are your own photos, and you are logged into Flickr at the time.
deerkoski (staff) edited this topic 42 months ago.

view photos

pastelsandpencils PRO says:

I've just been testing the "no share" versus the "all rights reserved" status using two different browsers (Chrome and Firefox) and logging out of my account when I tried to pin using the 'Add' function on the Pinterest site

I'd be interested to know if other people get the same results as me for a photo with the copyright status of "all rights reserved" - see www.flickr.com/photos/pastelsandpencils/146187511/

If my settings allow sharing then the following happens
* If I use the URL at the top of the photo page as the URL for the Pinterest 'Add' button www.flickr.com/photos/pastelsandpencils/146187511/in/phot... then I can add the photo to Pinterest
* if I use the precise photo URL then I can also add the site to Pinterest

Once I implement "no share" then the correct message pops up if I use the 'add' button on the Pinterest site

It would however make sense to me to add in all those who have selected "None (All rights reserved)" as the licence for their photos to also be added into to the group which benefit from the 'no pin' Pinterest meta tag.

"All rights reserved" does after all mean you may not reproduce or publish elsewhere without the permission of the copyright owner.

It would greatly assist the image owners if Flickr also recognised this with whatever meta tags it implements for the site as a whole.

view photos

jakerome PRO says:

But folks have "sharing" enabled because we want our photos to be shared. If you don't want your photos to be shared on Tumblr, Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, etc., just flip the sharing setting to no.

Flickr has been and always will be, at its heart, a photo sharing site. That's why sharing options are on by default. Heck, it's one of the big reasons Flickr is far & away the most popular source for sharing images across the wider web-- notwithstanding that Facebook has many tens of billions more images on their site.

view photos

Amy Locurto PRO says:

I can still pin my photos even though I have all rights reserved and no sharing on. It doesn't seem to be working.

Whoops! I just read this. Nevermind...

"Also note that you won't get the nopin metatag on your own photopages while you are signed in. (You are always free to do whatever you want with your own pictures - just like with the download deterrents)

You can log out of your account and then look at one of your photos to check - it will be there. "

view photos

Crispin Cresswell PRO says:

How does this work in respect of photos that have already been pinned on PInterest or blogged on Tumblr? Will they also break when you turn sharing off?

I don't have an inherent problem with my photos being shared, despite them being copyright protected, but I want them to be attributed when they are shared. I have some people who blog my photos on Tumblr with attribution, but when they are re-blogged attribution is transferred to the original blogger. I'd be less irritated if the attribution to me carried on re-blogging, or was somehow enforced (and carried attribution enforced) and any such sites.

I understand all of these sites make clear to their users that it is the user's responsibility to ensure they have rights on photos they share, but a lot of people just don't take this seriously or understand that they are infringing copyright. Personally, I think these sites should just take a bit more responsibility for the actions of their users and help their users to not infringe copyright in this respect.
Posted 41 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

Will they also break when you turn sharing off?

Images posted to Pinterest and Tumblr are copies of your Flickr images, stored on servers owned by those companies. Nothing Flickr does can remove those images. You can file a take-down notice with either site. (Both have promptly removed my images when I've asked.)

Also, the no-pin tag has no effect whatsoever on Tumblr.

view photos

Sophie Carr Photography PRO says:

Okay, I'm confused! I've read through this post, and still don't understand why my photos can be shared (with the link) on Pinterest or Tumblr (I have had my privacy settings marked as No Sharing for as long as I can remember).

I logged out and when I try to share one of my own photos all I get is the URL, but not a thumbnail or a photo, and no ability to copy the photo. So how come someone else can share my photo (with the actual link back to Flickr)? Every day I get plenty of shares on tumblr, etc.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

Okay, I'm confused! I've read through this post, and still don't understand why my photos can be shared (with the link) on Pinterest or Tumblr

Using the 'no sharing' option in your Flickr account settings does only a couple of things: (1) takes away the Share button for other viewers seeing your stuff and (2) now, adds the 'no pin' metatag for pinterest.

But selecting 'no sharing' doesn't hide your public photos. It doesn't hide the URL of the photopage. It doesn't hide the static URL of your .jpg files. Anything you've marked as public is "out there" -- other people can see it and get it.

For anything that's publicly viewable, anyone who wants can copy / save / download / link to / display elsewhere those images. It doesn't mean they're supposed to, but ethics/legality notwithstanding, the technical ability will always be there.

view photos

I don't see how they can copy the actual image though so it comes up on their website - I tried it (when I was signed out) and all I could copy was the URL and not the photo itself. I'm clearly missing something!

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

I don't see how they can copy the actual image though so it comes up on their website - I tried it (when I was signed out) and all I could copy was the URL and not the photo itself. I'm clearly missing something!

I don't use Pinterest, so I'm not sure what tools they have available.

But I did start a Tumblr account recently, just to see what the fuss was about.

Here's what I did for my own photos, and it will work for anyone's:

1) In my Tumbler account, I start a new post.
2) I enter the static .jpg URL of any image on the internet
3) I enter the URL of the page where that photo appears (not required, by the way, but I did it)
4) Save my post.

That results in a new post by me on Tumblr, displaying the image.

The actual "copying" part was done by Tumblr, apparently, because the image that displays in my Tumblr account is hosted on Tumblr, though the .jpg URL that I entered was hosted on Flickr.

view photos

So even if I've said I don't want to share it on Tumblr on my Flickr settings then someone on Tumblr can grab the link from Flickr and share it? That's ridiculous!! Thanks for your help Wil. I guess there's nothing I can do about it, so I'd better stop worrying.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

So even if I've said I don't want to share it on Tumblr on my Flickr settings then someone on Tumblr can grab the link from Flickr and share it? That's ridiculous!

It's not related to Flickr or Tumblr. It's the way the internet is built. In order for you to view any content on the internet, your web browser must first download that content to your computer. Thus, any content that you're viewing is already saved on your computer and thus easily available to you, including the locations on the web where that content is saved, such as individual .jpg URLs, etc.

It doesn't make it right, but it's easy to do for the unethical.

view photos

Not necessarily unethical; probably just ignorant - I wouldn't imagine that most people pinning stuff on Pinterest would've bothered reading the conditions - they probably don't know that there's anything wrong with using someone's photos...

Ignorance is no excuse - still doesn't make it right.
Will be interesting to see what happens when people start suing...

view photos

bradspry PRO says:

I am happy about Flickr's nopin implementation; My photos are mostly marked Creative Commons and sharable. Flickr did it right by not putting a nopin meta tag on my photos. Kudos Flickr.

view photos

© suomynona PRO says:

Ah, deja vu. So have things been taken care of, or not?

Anyone terribly upset about this can just do what I did and take well over 90% of their 6,000 images (2,000,000 page views) private.

view photos

violentbloom PRO says:

Thanks for implementing this.

I don't mind having things pinned since they link back to the source, but I DO MIND that they strip all the exif info out of the file. Until they fix that I don't want my stuff sucked off onto their external servers, where the only thing linking that image file to me is a database entry. If there's a problem with the database it could mean your photo now stripped of it's embedded info is no longer connected to you in any way. Database problems do happen. It's never pretty.

view photos

Kathy Froilan says:

The "nopin" only works on individual photo pages, but nowhere else on the site.

Just as a test - I was able to pin photos from several folks on this discussion who indicated that they have set their photos to not be shared. No worries, I only actually pinned one or two and then deleted the pins immediately. But I never got an error message when attempting to initiate a pin.

I was able to initiate pins right from the photostream. What it pins is the image size that appears on the photostream page. If you display medium images on your front page, then I can pin that medium image. If you display the small images, then that's the size I get.

Also - I can pin anything from anyone's favorites page and galleries. So if I go to someone else's favorites, set the view to "Large Thumbnails", I can then pin that size image (usually 640). Since galleries always display in that size, I can pin those as well. It also works on my "From Your Contacts" page.

view photos

KemblePDX says:

I keep getting a message that says Flickr doesn't support my Pin it button on Chrome. That's BS Is't this a open internet? What the point of posting your photo's to a social network if you don't want people to share it? I understand watermarking and not allowing people to download it but I should be able to share it and I think if your a photographer and you don't want people to share your photo's then get them off the internet? Just seems against the spirit of Flickr and the spirit of the internet

view photos

Flickr Staff

deerkoski PRO says:

What photo are you trying to pin? (URL) If the user has disabled sharing on their account, we pass a nopin tag, that Pinterest uses to block pinning of that photo.

view photos

KemblePDX says:

I realized that after I posted this Thanks Deerkoski :)

view photos

Flickr Staff

protohiro PRO says:

Hi, we are aware of this limitation. We are actively working to find solutions to this and other issues.

Many of our users love sharing their photos via Pinterest, but we respect the concerns and wishes of those who would rather not. We intend to keep working on this so that we can strike the right balance.

Thanks for your feedback, we will keep you posted as we work on this.

view photos

Kathy Froilan says:

Thanks - was hoping that you were aware of it.

Also of interest, I received this in my email this morning from Pinterest:

Updated Terms of Service

Over the last few weeks, we've been working on an update to our Terms. When we first launched Pinterest, we used a standard set of Terms. We think that the updated Terms of Service, Acceptable Use Policy, and Privacy Policy are easier to understand and better reflect the direction our company is headed in the future. We'd encourage you to read these changes in their entirety, but we thought there were a few changes worth noting.

Our original Terms stated that by posting content to Pinterest you grant Pinterest the right for to sell your content. Selling content was never our intention and we removed this from our updated Terms.

We updated our Acceptable Use Policy and we will not allow pins that explicitly encourage self-harm or self-abuse.

We released simpler tools for anyone to report alleged copyright or trademark infringements.

Finally, we added language that will pave the way for new features such as a Pinterest API and Private Pinboards.

We think these changes are important and we encourage you to review the new documents here. These terms will go into effect for all users on April 6, 2012.

Like everything at Pinterest, these updates are a work in progress that we will continue to improve upon. We're working hard to make Pinterest the best place for you to find inspiration from people who share your interest. We've gotten a lot of help from our community as we've crafted these Terms.

Thanks!

Ben & the Pinterest Team

view photos

LeeOhio says:

I'm sure this was addressed above, somewhere, but when signed out,
with sharing off and all rights reserved, I can *still pin* from my photostream
(but not individual pages)

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

LeeOhio - try reading a few posts above yours. Staff even responded to that concern.

view photos

Paul Dykes PRO says:

To avoid confusion, we've made a change, so that when you attempt to pin your own safe photos, regardless of your sharing settings, we never pass the nopin tag, as long as they are your own photos, and you are logged into Flickr at the time.

I don't know whether it's caused by the new T&Cs on Pinterest, but as of this weekend, I can't pin my own Flickr photos to my Pinterest account. The images in question are copyrighted to me and not Creative Commons. I've always had sharing switched off since joining Flickr, but I would like to retain the option to pin my own photos - comically, I can of course pin the static jpg, but that removes the possibility of attribution back to me and my photostream.

I'm logged into both Flickr and Pinterest, but when I try to pin, I get 'Sorry, cannot pin this image'. What's going on?
Posted 40 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

catherinemccoy says:

I am no longer able to PIN my own public photos either. I don't even get an error message, they all just disappear from the PIN page and only the Pinterest logo remains.

view photos

sunlightfarmer1 says:

I want to PIN my own images again!!!! HELP ASAP????

view photos

Unskinny Boppy PRO says:

I've been cut off from pinning all my own images, too, both public and private, shared and static. My sharing feature is enabled with "yes".

This is a very big deal for me. Someone please help with a solution here?
Unskinny Boppy edited this topic 40 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Ross PRO says:

Thanks for the reports; we're looking into it.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Ross PRO says:

We think the problem is caused by opting-out of API searches:

www.flickr.com/account/prefs/optout/

Pinterest uses the API to get information about the photo you're trying to pin. If you opt out of API searches, they aren't able to get that information and you can't pin the photo.

We're double checking this now, but in the short-term, going to the link above and opting back in will fix the problem.

view photos

Unskinny Boppy PRO says:

I changed my API settings and I'm able to pin a few of my images now. Now I just have to go back and make all my six years worth of blog content public instead of private. :(

This all-or-nothing change was good for some and bad for others.

view photos

Unskinny Boppy PRO says:

Thanks for the update and hard work, Ross!

view photos

idiotskitchen PRO says:

Help please! I have a food blog and rely on pinterest to get my photos out to others. I have all of my photos listed as public and I have gone back and double checked the API settings and any others mentioned in this thread. I am still unable to pin photos with the pinit button from my website www.idiotskitchen.com. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

view photos

kentbrew PRO says:

Just took a peek at idiotskitchen.com; when I click any of the Flickr photos, I reach a Private Page note from Flickr. As far as I can tell, Flickr is doing the right thing by setting nopin for those photos; if they're private, they should not be pinned. (And begs the question: why are you sourcing your own private photos from the Flickr CDN?)

view photos

sunlightfarmer1 says:

If I can not pin my own images from flicker, then I know longer have a need for flicker:(... I use the program because it allows me to instantly share my floral designs from my phone. Example: I take the picture; it auto downloads to flicker which is connected to my website. I need to be able to pin from my website which houses the images from flicker in order to increase more web traffic. My web traffic has increased about 300% since starting to pin!!!! Please fix this problem. I suggeset going back to the way things were and for those that wish not share, give them the option of stopping instead of stopping all of us. Thank you for working on this problem:)

view photos

k-Koira PRO says:

My API settings were already enabled, and I can not pin any of my own photos, nor can my friends pin them. This bugs me. I understand that many people may want to opt out, but I enjoy having my photos shared on Pinterest, and if I have a photo I don't want shared, I will change the settings for that specific photo, or else just not post it.

view photos

Brenda Anderson PRO says:

: "we think the problem is caused by opting-out of API searches"

I'm not opted out and never have been but I can't pin my own photos either. So I think it's something else. :)

When I tried the "pin it" bookmarklet, the image appears briefly and then goes away.

When I try directly on pinterest.com, I get this message:
We couldn't find any images: This site doesn't allow pinning.

view photos

Unskinny Boppy PRO says:

@kentbrew: Here is my answer to your question. For six years now I've been writing my blog entries using the static flickr links that are not public on flickr but are viewable when the only the code is shared. Here is my reason for that: I don't want all my images public on flickr, especially ones of my son and family. I take a TON of photos of my life, and I don't want the whole world to see every single one of them. I want to share only the ones that I have handpicked to put on my blog. So by default, because I am absentminded and will forget otherwise, I've set all my images to upload to private; viewable to friends and family only. Then, I individually link the source code of the images that I want to show on my blog using the static flickr HTML code. This system has worked well for me for many years. Now, it's coming back to bite me.

I am really disappointed tonight to have to change so many 1000's of my images to public, but it is what it is. I know flickr is a photo sharing site, but they are my personal images. I can choose how to use them. I feel that flickr is the best photo sharing site there is, so I pay to use it and have for many years now. I understand the reasons for the changes. I've read both sides of this argument, and I can see why people like the no-pin rules. I just wish flickr would have taken more things into consideration before running down this no-pin path so quickly and seemingly on a whim from the suggestion of a user. I'm not sure why it's taken this long for the changes to take effect, but they have most certainly affected many this weekend. I know that flickr can't please everyone, but it seems like there would be a better, more even keeled solution to this issue. Maybe a simple check box similar to the API opt-out to allow the no-pin code to be allowed on your photos instead of a mass murder of so many great photos on pinterest?

view photos

k-Koira PRO says:

I agree that it would be nice to have a pin-specific code that you can either enable or disable for your photos, either individually or for all at once.

I DON'T want people to be able to share my photos just anywhere (Tumblr being one of those, since they do not link back to the original). I would, however, like to be able to pin my own photos or have my blog readers pin a photo off of my blog posts. Right now, I would have to choose an all-or-nothing, everyone can share, or no one (including me, apparently).

I don't like that. It is my work, I should be able to do with it as I please.

view photos

Unskinny Boppy PRO says:

I agree Koira.

And, as I'm going back through all of my images on my blog to make them public on flickr, I'm remembering exactly WHY I made my images private in the first place. I have a little boy, and when he was a toddler I had strangers (including some questionable looking profiles) adding my images of him as favorites. This really creeped me out for random pics of my son to be added as favorites to a strangers album, so I decided long ago to not put up too many public images of him on flickr. It's one thing to have onesie/twosie images on my blog of him, but his entire birthday party pics are in an album that is combined with all the decor photos. I blogged about his fun birthday party theme, but I didn't share all the pics of the kids at the party, or the ones that could possibly be stolen and used in any way that would be inappropriately.

This REALLY, really sucks, flickr. I feel now that I'm going to have to go through and separate out generic blog pics from personal pics, and they are so intermingled that is a HUGE task.
Unskinny Boppy edited this topic 40 months ago.

view photos

sunlightfarmer1 says:

ATTENTION PINTEREST USERS!!!

I have found a way to pin your images from your site! Not being able to do this has been driving me crazy and hurting my business. So here goes.....

Click "Add" (located in upper right corner)
next click "add a pin"
now type in the box (your website address) and your images will appear and you can now select which one to pin and it is linked back to your website! yay!

unfortunately it is not as fast and simple as being able to just do it directly from your site as we once were able to do, but in the meantime it is letting me pin and get credit to my images and website:)

Hope this is helpful to those of you sharing my frustrations!

view photos

Flickr Staff

protohiro PRO says:

Hey everyone, this is actually an intersection of Pinterest trying to do the right thing, and us trying to make sure you can do what you like with your photos.

Our goal is that our users get proper attribution on Pinterest, users that don't want to be pinned aren't, and users who DO want to be pinned are. We are listening! Thanks for the feedback, we will continue to tune this behavior while making sure to protect users who do not want their photos on Pinterest.

- as a parent I completely understand why you have made photos private (all the pictures of my son are family only). As I understand it, the Pinterest "pin it" button is checking with Flickr to make sure a photo is "ok to pin". When the photo is private they can't check, so they disable pinning. Remember as well that Pinterest does not have private boards, so if you could pin a private photo the Flickr privacy controls would no longer be useful, because that photo would be public on Pinterest.

It seems to be that Brenda's problem is that she has sharing disabled, but she can't pin her own photos. We'll look into that as well, but it may in fact be a bug with Pinterest, not Flickr.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback,

view photos

Paul Dykes PRO says:

I also opted back into API searches to no avail - still can't pin my own public images.

Thanks for continuing to look into this - and I totally agree that you're trying to do the right thing! Look forward to an update soon.

view photos

Unskinny Boppy PRO says:

Thanks for the response photohire, that makes sense.

I changed the majority of my most popular "pinnable" blog images over to public last night. I've decided to leave a lot of my blog images private for now.

I am actually really liking the protection from this feature now that I think about it and read your explanation. I like the fact that all the blog images of my son can't be pinned everywhere (not easily, anyway), because who knows what the future of Pinterest really is at this point. It's gotten so huge so fast, there's no way to predict what it could become. I appreciate all of you at flickr and Pinterest taking the time to hear our thoughts and really take them into consideration. It's so nice to be heard. :)

I'm able to pin my public images from my blog, but my friends are still saying they can't pin them, though. I'm hoping the kinks will work themselves out soon.

view photos

coco+kelley PRO says:

coco+kelley edited this topic 40 months ago.

view photos

coco+kelley PRO says:

so, i host my images here at flickr as private because i do not want people pinning the images from here. i use flickr as an image host site and the images are posted on my blog where proper credit is given to the owners of those images. now, because of this new setting, people are unable to pin from my blog which is a HUGE issue for me.

now it seems my choices are making the photos public, thus opening the door to the possibility of thousands of images being pinned from flickr without proper credit, or dealing with not having the ability for readers to pin my content. neither of these seems like a good solution.

PLEASE make this meta tag optional or tell me how to remove it from all my images? you are literally screwing with 5 years worth of blogging content here!

view photos

As I understand it, the meta tag is related to your sharing option in Flickr. If your photos are private, then turning on sharing shouldn't cause you any issues. (People can't share what they can't see).

view photos

RubyMae PRO says:

I think, however, it was noted up above that you can't pin a private photo.

view photos

Yeager Flooring PRO says:

This is not working this is causing major issues in my blog workflow, negatively impacting my traffic and causing me to serious consider cancelling my pro Flickr accounts. What gives?

view photos

So you are saying that you added the nopin tag but people can still pin your photos?

view photos

The Creative Salad PRO says:

DItto to exactly what coco+kelley just posted above!

view photos

Faire Un Voeu says:

I have the sharing option set to No and always have however I've seen Pinterest in my stats before. [edit: i removed the photo link] so I just checked the page source as someone suggested for the "pinterest" text and there is nothing anywhere in the source that even remotely resembles pinterest and the nopin tag. ??? I haven't read this entire thread, have I missed something?

Edit: I just logged out and checked the page source and it DOES include the no-pin metatag. How is it then that this photo has been pinned quite a few times? I saw it in my stats as recently as last week.
Faire Un Voeu edited this topic 40 months ago.

view photos

Presumably it was pinned before Flickr implemented the change. The meta tag prevents new pins but won't affect anything already pinned.

view photos

Faire Un Voeu says:

Oh well that's kind of not cool. Question, if I remove the image, will it be unpinned from these sources because it's linked to the photo itself?

view photos

Earlier Wil indicated that new copies are created on pinterest when content is pinned
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157629431682041/#reply7...
If that's the case, then you need to contact pinterest to get them to remove your photos. It sounds like they will be co-operative.

view photos

Faire Un Voeu says:

Thanks.

view photos

idiotskitchen PRO says:

I still can't pin from my own blog and all may settings are set to public, API is on, and I have a pro account. @kentbrew I have no idea what you're talking about from visiting my website. Can you please explain? If I don't "source" my photos from my Flickr account, for which I pay a fee by the way, then where should I store them to use them publicly on my website?

view photos

idiotskitchen PRO says:

@ross and @protohiro is there anyone who can please help me with this problem? My website traffic depends on people being able to pin my public photos. Thanks!

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

Do you mean people can't pin your photos from your Flickr photo pages or that they can't pin from a website where you also show those photos? Because you keep saying your "website" not your Flickr account.

view photos

continental drift PRO says:

This is ridiculous! I like the way work is shared on Pinterest. It's respectful and directs users back to my site. I do not like how people so frequently swiped/used images from my Flickr page without any attribution or credit, so I made my Flickr images private. Now, there is an automatic "no pin" added to the meta tags? I don't want that. I don't want that at all!

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

Pinterest can't see your private link to share it, I would assume. And I'm not sure why you think people wouldn't swipe your photos from Pinterest. Particularly given that Pinterest removes any metadata from the copies it stores, including copyright data.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 177 replies in [Official Thread] Adding Pinterest's "nopin" meta tag)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads