Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Detailed explanation of new features in Flickr 3.0 apps
Latest: 3 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Update on the new photo experience
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Official Thread] Take a survey to help us improve Flickr groups
Latest: 7 hours ago
[Official Thread] Using a Yahoo username and password to sign in to Flickr
Latest: 9 hours ago
[Official Thread] Providing feedback on Flickr 3.0 for iOS and Android
Latest: 4 days ago
[Official Thread] Using Flickr over a secure (SSL) connection
Latest: 5 days ago

Current Discussion

why can't i add the tag "0" to a photo?
Latest: 10 minutes ago
Hi
Latest: 14 minutes ago
Auto-Upload set to Public
Latest: 23 minutes ago
Titles gone?
Latest: 57 minutes ago
Sharing is restricted for this photo
Latest: 68 minutes ago
Favorite own photos - why can't we do this?
Latest: 83 minutes ago
Some forums don't process correctly new Flickr BBCodes
random ads are appearing among my photo images
Bug? Getting "Contact Limit Reached" error when non-reciprocal contacts are fewer than 3000
Thousands of views from unknown source in 24h?
Missing about 3000++ images (had almost 7000...now below 4000!!)
Adding photos to groups in updated iPhone app?
Latest: 3 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Topic] Flickr Pro Changes

Flickr Staff

CateyCate says:

We just announced some changes to Flickr Pro. You can read about the changes in details here.

* For people who would rather pay in smaller increments we’re introducing an option to buy Pro 3 months at a time for $6.95.

* We’re also dropping the price of a 2 year subscription to $44.95 (a savings of $10.95 off the 3 months at a time price).

* We’re also moving to a subscription model where Pro accounts will automatically renew.

if you have any questions or problems, please let us know.
Posted at 1:12PM, 26 January 2012 PDT ( permalink )
CateyCate (staff) edited this topic 27 months ago.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 163 replies in [Official Topic] Flickr Pro Changes)
view photos

kmacgray says:

All three changes sound good to me. : )
Posted 27 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Lú_ says:

Oo nice.

view photos

Pacdog says:

Sweet..

view photos

katiegab715 says:

sounds great!

view photos

*mydiverdown* says:

Cool

view photos

Pacdog says:

I'm going to up this.. look some folks are not sure Flickr is for them. I have family I would like the option to buy a 3 month gift for, but that is not a option yet. In 3 months they have time to decide if Flickr pro is right for them then they can re-nue or not. I just think a 3 month Gift option also makes sense for Flickr and for members who want to share the love.

view photos

Stevekin says:

"I just think a 3 month Gift option also makes sense"

Makes very good sense to me too !

view photos

jakerome says:

This is an unacceptable violation of not only our freedom of speech but of our human rights as well. This can not stand! How dare Flickr offer additional options and discounts.

How. Dare. They.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard says:

Whew! Thanks Jake. I was getting worried that everyone would like it. Then I would know something is really wrong in the world!

view photos

kmacgray says:

"I didn't authorize this automatic renewal! I demand a refund!"

view photos

RubyMae says:

I'm only meh about this. I'm not terribly keen on auto-renew subscriptions.

(Do you feel better, Zack?)

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

Sounds good!

One question: For the "auto-renew" system, if a person had purchased three months, are they auto-renewed for three months? Or for a year? (And if they had purchased two years at the reduced price, are they auto-renewed for two years at the reduced price, or for one year at regular price?)

I guess that's two questions. ;-)

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

I'm not terribly keen on auto-renew subscriptions

For the most part, I agree... This one sounds like they'll notify you first, giving you the option to decline the auto-renew... Which is good.

view photos

Pacdog says:

Soooo.. I buy a one year gift and in a year it will automatically renew?

How does that work?

view photos

krobbie says:

Auto-renew is great if there is a choice not to go that route. Now it seems the *only* choice. I'd much prefer getting an email after one or two years. My account is about to run out; if I had known I'd have renewed yesterday :-(

view photos

Pacdog says:

So a work around to Auto renew is to buy yourself a gift?

Will that disable the auto renew?

view photos

John Oram says:

I am probably being impatient but I renewed to take advantage of this great offer. I already was Pro through 11 December 2013 and I now have all the acknowledgements of my payments for a further two years EXCEPT that on my profile the expiry date has not changed. Will this happen on a server refresh?

view photos

Pacdog says:

Said: Whew! Thanks Jake. I was getting worried that everyone would like it. Then I would know something is really wrong in the world!

You might of spoke way too soon there sir.

view photos

krobbie says:

My work-around will be using a credit card that will have expired by the time the next renewal is up, and not to update it.

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

Cancelling auto-renewal: www.flickr.com/help/payments/#64584891

How can I cancel? / What if I don't want auto-renewal?

You can cancel your subscription at anytime. If you choose to cancel, you will not be automatically renewed or charged for any future term of the service. Cancelling does not refund you because you will continue to be Pro for the full term you paid for, so you still get your money's worth.

For example, if you buy a year of Pro in January and cancel in February, your account will still be Pro for the whole year. You won't be automatically renewed at the end of the year and if you want to continue to have Pro you would need to buy it again.

Simples. :-)

view photos

Lú_ says:

Another workaround: Buy yourself a gift code.

view photos

krobbie says:

"work-around" - 'nuff said.

view photos

Flickr Staff

tedd4u says:

Pacdog said:

Soooo.. I buy a one year gift and in a year it will automatically renew?

Hi Pacdog! Gifts don't change -- they are one time and won't automatically renew. They can be applied to existing non-subscription accounts or to new subscription accounts.

view photos

Flickr Staff

pkingDesign says:

Wil C. Fry asked: "For the "auto-renew" system, if a person had purchased three months, are they auto-renewed for three months? Or for a year?"

Auto-renewal continues your Flickr Pro membership at the same subscription period. In other words, if you sign up for a 3-month Pro subscription you'll be renewed every 3 months. We will not switch you to 1-year (or any other period). You can, however, change your subscription period any time you want.

And also said ..."sounds like they'll notify you first, giving you the option to decline the auto-renew..."

Absolutely correct. You'll get an email a couple weeks before your membership auto-renews, and have ample opportunity to change your billing period or just plain cancel your Pro membership. Though we'd rather you stick around, of course!

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

pkingDesign

Thanks for the clarification. :-)

Again, these sound like some positive changes. I know several people who'll be interested in the three-month idea...

view photos

Flickr Staff

marssy says:

John Oram

In your account order history page:

www.flickr.com/account/order/history/

It will show this message:

"Your Pro account will renew automatically on 11th December, 2013"

This means that you have now enrolled to automatically renew your Pro account in a 2 year basis. Since you have previously purchased Flickr Pro through December 11th of 2013 the 44.95 wont be billed to you until the very day your current Pro expires.

view photos

Pacdog says:

So as I stated We can buy ourselves a gift and not have to worry Our Credit cards will be charged in another year automatically if We are not around to opt out. Correct?

view photos

Pacdog says:

Make gifts for 3 month subs!

Do it!

You will thank me Flickr!

view photos

Miguel Pires da Rosa says:

I see changes regarding pricing. Unfortunately I'm not seeing changes in features for awhile now. I will not renew my Pro account when the time comes, this site has been very static.

view photos

kiljano says:

add some new stuff, please. Like the previous speaker, add some new features. I am looking more and more to a place like snugmug

view photos

Rinaldo_ says:

I usually renew my account for one year. Looks like I am the only one who does it that way. In this case I see no changes at all. Only this automatic renew that really doesn't sounds cool to me.

view photos

JarekCichy says:

Interesting changes, however, I don't like automatic renewal so I'm opting out from it.

view photos

Baldricus says:

Are you going to tell people you are moving to an auto renew policy? Probably not, but may I suggest you do.

view photos

Baldricus says:

Exactly, I couldn't agree more.

view photos

Azchael says:

I like the changes in the Pro options, especially the membership.

Another idea: Why don't you add a "lifetime" payment option as well, let's say 400 or 500 USD for a once for life charge to have the account?

view photos

battle14 says:

Auto renew is bad, you should keep an opt in, not an opt out. The 3 months subscription is a nice way to let more people know about Flickr. I see a new generation who put all their stuff on Facebook.

I love Flickr, I met some friends, doing photography together now.

But it is about time you make progression. Add templates for example. Make it more attractive for us and these Facebook people. Then I wouldn't mind if the fee would be somewhat bigger.

view photos

kmacgray says:

Are you going to tell people you are moving to an auto renew policy? Probably not, but may I suggest you do.

This statement in the blog post seems pretty clear for those that choose to read it:

Lastly, we’re also moving to a subscription model where Pro accounts will automatically renew. When your Pro account is near expiration, you’ll receive a reminder from us before it renews and you’ll of course have the option to cancel at anytime.

blog.flickr.net/en/2012/01/26/more-ways-to-go-pro/

view photos

kmacgray says:

Unfortunately I'm not seeing changes in features for awhile now. I will not renew my Pro account when the time comes, this site has been very static.

add some new stuff, please. Like the previous speaker, add some new features.

They are:

blog.flickr.net/en/2012/01/13/start-the-new-year-fresh/

view photos

Sorry if I sound blunt, but: are you serious? Did you actually read the thing?
If anything, they are going to cancel existing features! I didn't read anything new or vaguely innovative, it's the same old thing, just a little bit stirred.

view photos

Stavanger kommune says:

view photos

sohvimus says:

I like the way the changes to Flickr have been so subtle and not massive (I wasn't around here when sets moved from left side to the right side.).

view photos

Stevekin says:

The very first paragraph suggests there are a number of new features and updates. But we won't know what they are until they are ready to launch.
Flickr have always been consistent in the way they announce anything new and usually wait until the feature/update is ready to go.

view photos

Stevekin says:

Reflecting the new date now ? ;-))

view photos

kmacgray says:

Sorry if I sound blunt, but: are you serious?

Yes.

Did you actually read the thing?

Yes. Did you?

This year is going to be big at Flickr! In the coming weeks and months you will see significant updates to Flickr’s user experience, new features and offerings across devices. Our goal is to build a gorgeous, intuitive, and truly beautiful experience for you, your friends and your photos.

Flickr doesn't pre-announce specific features. When they launch, that's when they tell everyone.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

Did you actually read the thing?
If anything, they are going to cancel existing features!

Hmmm, your browser may have taken you to a different page than the one I saw by following kmacgray's link. (To be fair, I'd already read the page a few days ago.)

The very first paragraph announces that Flickr is planning "new features and offerings", then uses the word "build", which implies addition, construction, development.

The rest of the blog entry describes some features that will be discontinued, but several of those features were rarely if ever used, like Photo Session, Flickr Clock, etc. Removing non-used features is part of improving the user experience.

view photos

Well, then I must admit I was wrong, since I must have zoomed past the first paragraph and went straight for the "we won't have feature X anymore" bit.

view photos

kmacgray says:

As humans, we tend to dwell on the negative. : )

view photos

Stevekin says:

That's why we always 'notice' and moan about red lights, they are delaying us. But we very likely go through as many green ones too ;-)

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

I will stick with my free account thanks .. I like seeing the advertisements ..

view photos

Sorbus sapiens says:

My work-around will be using a credit card that will have expired by the time the next renewal is up, and not to update it.

That probably won't help, as "Continuous Payment Authorities" are a claim against your account, not your actual credit card. You are entering into a direct contract with, in this case, Yahoo!, not involving your bank, and in some cases they don't actually need your credit card number once they've set up the payment.

Have a look around online, e.g. here: www.bbc.co.uk/news/10577938

Put me firmly in the "not terribly keen on auto-renew" camp.

view photos

Midnight and me says:

Was Pro $25 for one year. That's what I paid for something associated with Picnic. Does that mean that I'm not losing anything in April? If that's what I pay $25 for every year, will I be able to continue doing that and have what I've got now? And where did the redeye feature go?

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

Midnight and me

Was Pro $25 for one year. That's what I paid for something associated with Picnic. Does that mean that I'm not losing anything in April? If that's what I pay $25 for every year, will I be able to continue doing that and have what I've got now? And where did the redeye feature go?

If you paid Flickr $25 for a year's pro account, you weren't paying for Picnik, you were paying for the features of a Flickr pro account. (Both free and pro Flickr accounts had access to Picnik. Picnik is closing in April, and isn't owned by or controlled by Flickr.)

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Automatically renew. I can see trouble brewing there. It’s just as well that I stick with my free account..

Just one other thing, why don’t flickr show UK members the price in English Pounds and Pence ? .. I have never understood that …

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

As per the order page:

"Flickr Pro Accounts currently are not offered in the United Kingdom or Ireland by Yahoo! UK Ltd. However, they are available for purchase in United States Dollars from our US-based Flickr service offered by Yahoo! Inc"

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Patrick Costello - Thanks for that.. I’m sure though it would be good to see a breakdown of what it might cost in our own currency at a glance…

When I first joined flickr in 2007 the dollar sign put me off upgrading to a pro account.. After a while a got used to using frickr as a free account.. I see no reason to upgrade now, as I can still have as much fun as anyone else ….

view photos

Spangles44 Blinkagain dont like fllickr says:

I renewed for 2 years in december, does this mean I will be getting a rebate?

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

Spangles44 join us at blink_again

I renewed for 2 years in december, does this mean I will be getting a rebate?

Were you charged more than what you agreed to pay?

view photos

ibekev says:

I hate auto-renew. When I purchase the service, I give you the authorization to charge me once. I'd like to keep that control. Let people opt-in to auto-renew if they want, or give an option to opt out, but I don't want you making the decision for me. :)

view photos

Chungking Express says:

So let's see if I understand this:

When I renew my pro membership in a couple of months, it will convert to an auto-renewing account. THen, at some point prior to the autopayment a year after that, I will receive a notice that an autorenewal is coming up. HOwever, if at any time prior to that I want to cancel the autopayment, I will have that option, but the year of pro membership I've already paid for will continue through it's original period?

So, theoretically, if I renew a couple of months from now, and then I "cancel" my pro membership the very next day, that will effectively be the same as buying a non-renewing account because I'll still have 364 days of pro membership left that will expire normally?

And that means the question of "we should have the option of a non-renewing acccount" is basically moot, isn't it?

view photos

Brock says:

There you go using logic and sensible thinking again. That won't fly around these parts, oh no.

view photos

Brock says:

Having said that, for a service that has (effectively) absolutely zero penalty for not renewing on time (everything comes back once you've paid) I do think it would be ok to have an opt-in non-auto renew. Default is auto renew, tick box to be removed to non-auto-renew (not-enough-hyphens-in-there-is-there?)

I mean, obviously the people that don't remember to uncheck the option will still pay for accounts they may not use (which is the only marketing reason or justification for auto-renew, let's be honest) but for people that wish to reserve the right to choose at their leisure? I think they should be able to. Forcing people to auto renew rather than play the 'renew than cancel' dance or remember to cancel at the point of decision seems unnecessarily harsh.

Very unflickr-like.

view photos

SimonM. says:

Yet another business asking to be trusted to store my credit card details. After recently being asked to fill in and fax two forms proving that I didn't order pizza and stuff in London from my home in Australia using my Visa card, I'm not keen.

view photos

FlyButtafly says:

...for people that wish to reserve the right to choose at their leisure? I think they should be able to. Forcing people to auto renew rather than play the 'renew than cancel' dance or remember to cancel at the point of decision seems unnecessarily harsh.

+1.

I love Flickr as much as anyone else - but I *don't* like auto-renew unless I choose it. I *really* don't like the auto-renew-then-cancel hoop in order to turn *off* auto-renew - especially if it's something that I'll have to do every year (merely because I don't want to forget, just in case I'm off Flickr for a while when my account is due. My due date has changed so many times I had to look at my account just to see when it expires next.)

view photos

jane_sanders says:

Sounds great but not sure I'm keen on the auto renew as I like to be in control of when I pay for something. For example, I would usually renew my Pro on the payday before it's about to expire rather than wait until the middle of the month.

view photos

The Searcher says:

"Yet another business asking to be trusted to store my credit card details."

Actually every single business you give your credit card details to is storing them, no matter what "permission" you think you are giving them. Just from a financial point of view businesses store transaction data for seven years or so.

view photos

castelltersol says:

Auto-renew !!! I subscribed for one year today January 27, 2012 and now Flickr advise me that my subscription will expire tomorrow January 28, 2012. So that's going to cost me about $50 for one year, right ?
That's enough dealing with this "(dis)organization" so I cancelled my subscription.
Anyone else had this problem ?

view photos

Flickr Staff

tedd4u says:

Hi castelltersol. Looks like there was a glitch. We're looking at it now. You won't need to pay twice.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

If Flickr Staff are trying to get more Free Members signup for Pro Accounts, then have they ever thought about this ?

There are many of us that have for sometime been quite proud and happy driving along in our Free Accounts trying to get the best performance from them… Then why not offer those members like us, with no strings attached that is, with a reasonable length of time a Free Test Drive in a new Pro Account ?
Scarlet Pimpernel edited this topic 27 months ago.

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

The free account IS a test drive of the Pro account. Mostly the pro account lets you do more of the same things ... load more pics, load more videos, load bigger pics, add to more groups. All you are missing is access to your originals (but you have them on your own computer anyway), collections (just sets of sets) and stats (really not that exciting).

view photos

John© says:

Wouldn't worry about it, as you are using Flickr commercially there is a good chance your account will be deleted, or at the least, moderated so it isn't searchable.
I reported the spam to speed things up for you.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Patrick Costello - Yes I understand that. But if free account members can test drive and see for themselves what can or cannot be achieved with a Pro account, they might be more likely to pay and stick with the Pro account if they find it better than using the free one… It’s harder for those of us using a free account to see more than 200 uploaded photos, even though we can see more with a bit of work… Take that work away for a while and we might be hooked into paying. I would have thought that would be good for flickr profits in the long run.. That’s how I see it anyway …. :-)

view photos

jane_sanders says:

See the response you got in your own thread where you ask the same thing:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157629063895231/

Your account is however doomed anyway.

view photos

TomBrooklyn says:

Sounds good except for the auto-renew unless that is selectable.

Would like to also see rates get locked in against possible future increases for current users who don't lapse in subscription.

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

isn't that like getting a free sample of Wensleydale in the supermarket and then asking for a free pack, so you can experience what it's like to have a big piece of cheese?

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Patrick Costello - I have made my point, and I’m not going to argue with you..And the free account isn’t a free sample. I pay for it through having to sit through advertisements that flickr get paid for ..

The small free sample of Wensleydale is good, but I might need more of a taster before thinking about buying it in the near future...

view photos

andrew yeager-buckley says:

When will you start offering more premium and professional features like SmugMug and other companies. I've been with Flickr for many years. I'm not sure how much longer I can stay if new features are not launched soon.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

andrew yeager-buckley - Never seen Smugmug before.. I have just been there for a look.. Smugmug seem to have much better Download / Copying protection … I tried a number different of ways of Copying photos from that site without any success what so ever … Unlike Flickr !

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

If you want to sell your work, then SmugMug may be worth the $100 a year. You won't get professional features on Flickr as selling your work here is against the Terms of Service.

I'm intrigued - what happened when you tried to hit the PrtSc key on your keyboard?

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Patrick Costello - OK..I have just learnt how to do my first ever screenshot ever in the last few moments, after using the computer since about 2004 … I guess I’m a slow learner .. Or never had the need to do one..

Yes it does save screenshots in Smugmug and I do know screenshots can be taken… I don’t know, but from what I can see, screenshots needs a bit of Editing/Cropping to make a photo look good for re- uploading as just a photo.. At least Smugmug seems to disable the casual Right Click / Save As function that Saves/Copies the photo.. Flickr says the owner has disabled downloading, when it’s not disabled in the slightest…

In Flickr, disabled large size photos can also be uploaded by email straight from anyone’s flickr photo stream … I couldn’t do that with Smugmug.. It just resets it to the Smugmug front logo page …

view photos

passing cloud>falling behind< says:

i persnaly... RATE FLICKR AS THE BEST EVER..EASY TO COMPREHEND
PHOTO SITE, WITH TOP PHOTOGRAPHERS CONTRIBUTING WORK /DELIGHTING AND INFORMING.. AND BLESS UM ALL!
MY PROBLEM IS.. I BURN TOO MANY EVENING MEALS!

view photos

jane_sanders says:

Perhaps Flickr could use that as a tagline: "Flickr from Yahoo... Makes you burn food".

With a new entry in the FAQs: "Q: I burnt my dinner - what should I do? A: Do NOT use Flickr while cooking.

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

What about groups that share recipes?

view photos

Preston Digital Archive says:

I cringe each time I read the word "changes" on Flickr. However, this is a modest yet positive change. But how about an even longer membership option say 5 - 10 years or even lifetime pricing?
Preston Digital Archive edited this topic 27 months ago.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

Preston Digital Archive

A "lifetime" membership has been requested before, in the Flickr Ideas group. The usual argument is that the internet is still very young, and very few websites last beyond a few years. Flickr is among a very short list of websites that were around in 2004 and are still ticking 8 years later.

However, anyone has been able to purchase as many years as they like (and still can). Even if you're already pro, you can purchase more years and they'll be tacked onto the end of your current year.

view photos

edible_plum says:

I like the Pro account changes.
Have been a Pro for years...is there a link where I can "remember" my expiry date?

BTW (while I have your ears), please don't ever remove the Old Uploader. It's the only thing that works for this Old Member!

And...is there a max number of pics for a Set? I've got 840 photos in one Set and methinks a bunch are gone. Are they?

view photos

Faire Un Voeu says:

Where is my credit card information stored in my Flickr account please? I'm there looking and I can't find a link to it. That information should be right there front and center and very easy to locate. I would like to remove my credit card information immediately. Thanks.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

Faire Un Voeu

Where is my credit card information stored in my Flickr account please?

Credit card information isn't stored in your Flickr account.

All payments are handled through Yahoo! Billing.

Here:
wallet.secure.yahoo.com/
is where Yahoo! stores your payment information.

view photos

kmacgray says:

edible_plum And...is there a max number of pics for a Set? I've got 840 photos in one Set and methinks a bunch are gone. Are they?

Please start a new Help Forum topic for this, as it's unrelated to the current discussion.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

kmacgray

Please start a new Help Forum topic for this, as it's unrelated to the current discussion.

Excellent idea.

(And when they do start their own topic for that question, the correct answer is "no". I have sets with thousands of images in them. ;-)

view photos

Faire Un Voeu says:

Thank you Wil C. Fry.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

Faire Un Voeu

You're welcome.

(Note: I was unable to remove some old credit card information, because Yahoo! requires me to enter the full number of the old card -- information I don't have anymore. But if you still know/have the old number, you should be able to remove card info...)

view photos

edible_plum says:

All Q's answered except this one:

is there a link where I can see my Pro account expiry date?

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

www.flickr.com/account/order/history/

view photos

edible_plum says:

Proof that the renewal notification will be handy!

Mine expired last week. Will renew today.
Thanks.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

is there a link where I can see my Pro account expiry date?

It's listed on the Your Account page.

www.flickr.com/account

(And on the page Patrick linked to:
www.flickr.com/account/order/history/ )

view photos

edible_plum says:

Had to change old VISA number to new before renewing.
After renewing, received an immediate call from my bank to ask if I had just made a Yahoo purchase...for, are you sitting down? one dollar and three cents!

Yet my account says I've paid for the 2-year update ($44-something).

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

edible_plum The dollar charge is an authorisation check. You won't actually see that on your statement.

view photos

Brock says:

I have no way (at this point) in preventing renewal until the roll over to my new subscription. Unless I remove the payment option from my Yahoo wallet (which I will be doing). Fortunately, Yahoo Wallet is a pile of shite so I don't need it for anything else so this option is open to me.

I think I am moved, having given this more thought, to formally object to this. I don't want Flickr to decide for me if I want to renew unless I keep tabs on it. I want to pay for a fixed period and that should be that. I want to pay for a service in a simple transaction, not commit to a permanent arrangement unless I pay attention further down the line.

I think that an auto-renew tick box (even ticked by default) on the upgrade process is, at the very least, polite. An open-ended payment agreement just seems like it is designed to tax the stupid, forgetful or inattentive. Particularly being as this auto-renew is absolutely non-refundable, which makes this even worse.

Bad show, Flickr. If you wish to automatically charge people without their explicit consent for each transaction, you at the very least have some sort of moral obligation to offer refunds. As I mentioned above, the move to an auto-renew business model is not for any customer convenience purposes, but to grab non-refundable revenue from people that don't pay attention, stop using the site or move on or otherwise don't stay here and foolishly leave their payment details with you - perhaps even forget you have it. The kind of people that buy a year of Pro, forget the log in details after 9 months and move on. That's a pretty shitty target demographic to be aiming at, frankly. People that do actively use their flickr accounts will know they have expired and renew anyway, so you are relying on gaining revenue from those that aren't paying close enough attention.

I"m getting quite offended by this, as I write, and if any of the Staff reading this know of my history here, this does not often happen. I think this is a pretty cynical and shitty move from Flickr. Colour me deeply, deeply unimpressed. There is no justification for a mandatory auto-renew. None at all.

view photos

kmacgray says:

I want to pay for a service in a simple transaction, not commit to a permanent arrangement unless I pay attention further down the line.

Even though Flickr would remind you so you don't have to pay attention?

When your Pro account is near expiration, you’ll receive a reminder from us before it renews and you’ll of course have the option to cancel at anytime.
blog.flickr.net/en/2012/01/26/more-ways-to-go-pro/

view photos

Brock says:

It doesn't matter. It's shitty. The concept that the user has to put effort in to stop someone taking their money, rather than the user having to put effort in to giving it to them is fundamentally wrong. It is a major shift in how business is done, and in how the customer is treated. From having users that you wish to attract and make desire your service enough to pay for it, Flickr has moved on to "We'll take your money behind your back if you don't pay attention".

Considering the possibility that the email is delayed (spam folders and the like), or the user loses access to internet (travelling, family illness, hospital stay, etc) or any number of real world problems occurs between reminding time and renewal, if they miss the deadline, the money is gone and they have absolutely no means to get it returned.

The only possible justification to change the system is because the Yahoo management types feel they will increase revenue with this change. The only possible way that they will increase revenue is by somehow getting money from people that wouldn't otherwise be attracted sufficiently to the service to pay for it. That, dear users, is shitty. You're trying to get money out of people by trickery or just plain forgetfulness on their part. You're not trying to get it by making them want to pay.

If I choose to have auto renew, I have no issue with that and would likely use it. It's being forced to that I object to. I truly cannot see one single piece of business justification for a mandatory, non-refundable auto-renew that doesn't involve taking advantage of people that wouldn't have renewed without that system being in place.

That's just being shitty. This is a cynical and shitty decision.

If you want people to pay for Flickr, make the service desirable enough. If it isn't, then suck it up and change your efforts, don't modify your billing system to try and catch enough people out to maintain your bottom line.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 163 replies in [Official Topic] Flickr Pro Changes)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads