Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Update on the new photo experience
Latest: 8 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Using a Yahoo username and password to sign in to Flickr
Latest: 37 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Detailed explanation of new features in Flickr 3.0 apps
Latest: 89 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Take a survey to help us improve Flickr groups
Latest: 4 hours ago
[Official Thread] Providing feedback on Flickr 3.0 for iOS and Android
Latest: 7 days ago

Current Discussion

What happened to Sets ?
Latest: 5 minutes ago
videos take long time to start
Latest: 6 minutes ago
remove photos from album, not in thumbnail view
Latest: 44 minutes ago
Return the functionality of the npe so we have what we need
Latest: 69 minutes ago
No longer able to sign in with Google
Latest: 2 hours ago
What`s wrong with Explore
how to grab url???
adding photos to group
LIST of missing/broken features in Beta
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Bug] Receiving error when sorting contacts by public photos or last upload (unfixed since February)
Latest: 3 hours ago
Moderate/Restricted uploads with Android 3.0 app?
Uploads to the group pool have been disabled.
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official topic] Logging In with Facebook ID and Google ID - Feedback

Flickr Staff

eMiLy @_@ says:

Hello Flickrverse,

Starting today, you will be able to use a Facebook ID to create and log in to Flickr.

For more information, please check out our Blog Post and FAQs.

If you see problems or bugs with this feature, please post to the Official Bug topic.

Thanks!

edited:typo
Posted at 2:25PM, 20 January 2011 PDT ( permalink )
eMiLy @_@ (staff) edited this topic 40 months ago.

view photos

RubyMae says:

Maybe a bug? This FAQ suggests that I can use google to log into my existing Flickr account. But this FAQ says I can not do that. Am I misunderstanding?
Posted 40 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard says:

Thanks RubyMae, forgot to delete those old busted FAQs that say you cant :)

view photos

RubyMae says:

Gotcha.

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

Just a question/confusion.

At the top of My Account page, it now says

You are signed in to Flickr via Google ([redacted email here])

But the email it shows is not my gmail/google email, it's the alternate email I used when I set up my gmail account oh so long ago.

Is that what should be shown? It's very confusing... I couldn't even remember how that email address was connected.

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

Second question. It seems like I can still sign in with my Yahoo ID if I want to? Is that right? What if I delete my Yahoo ID? Will my Flickr account be affected? Will it become orphaned?

view photos

Flickr Staff

eMiLy @_@ says:

Hi Brenda,

We will need more information from you (maybe screenshot) about the first question and I will contact you offline.

Yes, you can either use Yahoo! ID or Google Account to log in, but make sure you don't delete your Yahoo! ID because it will delete both credentials.

view photos

RubyMae says:

So, what would be the advantage to using Google to sign in to an existing (Yahoo created) flickr account? Without using google to sign in, I can already affiliate another e-mail address with flickr for receiving notifications (even when signing in to flickr with yahoo). I must be missing something here.

view photos

The Searcher says:

A lot of people use their google id for more than just email (google voice, docs, phone, etc), so having a simplified and unified login would be easier than remembering a vestigial one like yahoo that maybe is only used to log into Flickr.

one less password to remember, basically.

view photos

The Searcher says:

Downside is, the more unified your login across multiple services is, the more at risk you are for hacking if someone gets that one password. So it's convenience vs security risk.

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

Emily, I've sent you the information requested.

Next question, in light of your reply to my second question.

Can I disassociate my google account from my account now? Given that I have to keep my Yahoo ID or lose my account, I don't really see the point of having my google account attached.

Will there be an option to convert the account to a "google login only" as any new accounts that are created will be?

view photos

RubyMae says:

I have a google account, whose features (outside of e-mail) I use extensively. The only thing I use my Yahoo account for is signing up for online sites (so spam goes to Yahoo). I don't use any Yahoo features, aside from flickr. But I still don't see any advantage to switching my flickr log-in to a google e-mail (at least for me, having to remember my Yahoo sign in isn't all that onerous to prompt me to switch).

view photos

The Searcher says:

It's not a google email, it's your google login. so instead of remembering a login and password for both Google and Yahoo, you only have to use your Google login and password.

Which, for someone like me who probably has a couple dozen logins and passwords to keep track of, any simplification helps.

view photos

The Searcher says:

That said, I just set this up and have a couple issues.

1. When I signed out of Flickr for the first time (after I'd set it all up, to test it out), it only gave me a Yahoo login prompt (no Google option.) I had to sign out of Yahoo COMPLETELY before it gave me the option.

2. Now when I log out of Flickr, it DOES give me the option to log in via Google. However when I click the Google button, it just logs me right in, no password or nothing. Is that intentional? It seems a bit security-dicey to not ask for a password.

view photos

The Searcher says:

Oh wait, there we go, nevermind. Logging out AGAIN, just out of Flickr, it NOW prompts me to enter my google password to get back in. Hopefully it's just a hitch on the first times trying it each way, and not an intermittent bug.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard says:

The point of this is so that people that would rather sign in through Google or Facebook instead of a Yahoo! ID can do that. As Searcher noted, one less password to remember.

After a Google or Facebook account is associated with a Yahoo! ID you can't disassociate it currently no. We hope to have that coming in the future but currently it isn't possible. We can manually do this for someone that accidentally setup logging in on the wrong account but that's the only time currently.

"Will there be an option to convert the account to a "google login only" as any new accounts that are created will be? "

There aren't currently plans for this. But if after you set it up you don't have to use the Yahoo! login. So, if that's how you use it, it basically is google login only anyway.

One other important note is that if you setup logging in through Goog/fb, do not delete your Yahoo! ID! You are binding your Facebook/Google login to the Yahoo! ID. So deleting the Yahoo! ID, deletes the ability to login through the other accounts as well.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard says:

The Searcher,

The login screen shows you the option you last used. So if you just logged out of a Yahoo! ID, it will show you the Yahoo! fields. General rule here, if you don't see the login method you want, click "Sign in as a different user." to show all the methods.

view photos

The Searcher says:

"But if after you set it up you don't have to use the Yahoo! login. So, if that's how you use it, it basically is google login only anyway"

Not entirely true. Because if I log out of Flickr now, I'm still logged in to both Google AND Yahoo. Logging completely out of Google does NOT log me out of Yahoo, nor vice-versa.

So if I'm on say a public machine somewhere, I now have to remember to log out of both Google and Yahoo before I leave that machine.

Logging in is now a single step. But logging out is now three steps.

At least the way I'm seeing it work right now.

view photos

Christopher Chan says:

I followed the instructions to sign out and sign back in. But when I sign back in, I don't see the option to log in using Facebook.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

"Yes, you can either use Yahoo! ID or Google Account to log in, but make sure you don't delete your Yahoo! ID because it will delete both credentials."

Kind of defeats the purpose for me... The whole reason I was requesting the ability to switch to a Google ID was so I wouldn't have to keep the Yahoo! account anymore...

"So if I'm on say a public machine somewhere, I now have to remember to log out of both Google and Yahoo before I leave that machine. Logging in is now a single step. But logging out is now three steps."

Looks like this is the case, which again defeats the purpose for me. Another reason I wanted to use a Google ID for this account was to make things easier; not harder...

Hopefully, they can fix this up soon.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard says:

RubyMae, I'll take a look at that FAQ as well.

Searcher
"So if I'm on say a public machine somewhere, I now have to remember to log out of both Google and Yahoo before I leave that machine."

The ability to login to Flickr via Facebook or Google uses OpenID. Flickr is still a separate service and just like any service you use OpenID to login to, you still have to log out separately. The advantage of OpenID is one less ID & password.

Christopher Chan, when you get to the sign in pop up, click "SIgn in as a different user."

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

Zack,

Can you just clarify.

If I go to a public computer and launch Flickr, and choose "sign in with Google" and then sign in.

When I sign out out of Flickr, I have to click "sign out" on Flickr, then I have to click "sign out of all Yahoo services as well" and then I have to open a new tab to my Google account and sign out of that as well?

So signing me out of Flickr doesn't sign me out of Google even though that's the only site I opened/signed into in the session?

And I am signed into Yahoo automatically, even though I never logged into Yahoo in the session?

view photos

The Searcher says:

"The ability to login to Flickr via Facebook or Google uses OpenID. Flickr is still a separate service and just like any service you use OpenID to login to, you still have to log out separately. "

yeah I get that, but unless you have the new account started fresh with the google login, that openid is logging me into Flickr, Google (I think), AND Yahoo. If it would log me OUT of all three when I log out of Flickr, that would be awesome. But right now on the surface, if I go to Flickr and choose to log in via Google, it feels from an average consumer point of view that I'm logging in to Flickr. JUST Flickr.

But I'm not. In the background I'm logging in to the "Yahoo Network" as well. And it's not really clear that I'm doing so. And I may be logging in to my Google Services too (I haven't checked that completely yet.)

You've created a security branch, basically, depending on whether or not users are new or old. For new users then yes as you describe it it's pretty simple and straightforward: Log in to Flickr, log out of Flickr, one step.

But for older users, it's Log in to Flickr, log out of Flickr, THEN ALSO log out of Yahoo, that you may not have been aware you logged in to in the first place.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

"just like any service you use OpenID to login to"

No, not quite like any other service. This one appears to sign the user into three things (as The Searcher says above).

If I sign in via Google, I'd expect to sign out of Flickr and Google, but not also out of Yahoo! (which I didn't sign into in the first place)...

view photos

Christopher Chan says:

Zack Thanks ! That worked sort of ... It says that I've successfully logged in using my Facebook account but it failed to link it up with my Yahoo account. It asked me to repeat the process, which I did, twice but I'm getting the same error message each time.

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

I think it would be clearer on the sign out screen if it said

"sign out of Google|Facebook as well?"

just like it says

"sign out of the Yahoo Network as well?"

But it's very confusing that it signs you into Yahoo even if you don't sign in with your Yahoo ID.

view photos

tarmo888 says:

It will confuse a lot of people, but it works even better than I thought, thanks Flickr.

It would be great to have an option to sign out from service you use to sign in - if possible.

view photos

RubyMae says:

Is there a protest group yet? :P

view photos

Flickr Staff

eMiLy @_@ says:

Hi Christopher,

Can you provide the exact steps taken that led to the problem you're experiencing and the full and exact text of any error messages you received to the official bug topic?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard says:

Ok, I think I see. So first a couple things to make sure we're all on the same page,

* For normal Yahoo! IDs, even before today's changes, when you login to Flickr you are logging into the Yahoo! network as well.

* The log out process hasn't changed. When you log out of Flickr, you aren't totally logged out of the Yahoo! network. This is the way it has been for Yahoo! IDs for a long time.

For any of the services that I know where you use login credentials from another site (ex. OpenID or Facebook Connect), using the credentials logs you into the other site as well, so you would have to logout at least 2x.

I see your point though about this making it 3 places you have to logout. We want to make it easy for people to logout of Flickr and Yahoo! if that's what they want which is why we have the 'logout of the Yahoo! network' link right there after you logout of Flickr. However, having you logout of Flickr and Yahoo! automatically in one click is something we are looking at for a future release.

view photos

kitby says:

Zack Sheppard said:

"Will there be an option to convert the account to a "google login only" as any new accounts that are created will be? "

There aren't currently plans for this. But if after you set it up you don't have to use the Yahoo! login. So, if that's how you use it, it basically is google login only anyway.
But there's a minor catch with that setup: I can't recycle the Yahoo! login and use it with an entirely new Flickr account, can I? It sounds like today's development allows for the following:

Starting point: Existing Flickr account Foo associated to a Yahoo! login Bar.

As of today, that can be turned into: Existing Flickr account Foo associated to a Yahoo! login Bar and a Google login Baz.

What I'd like to be able to do: Existing Flickr account Foo associated only with Google login Baz, so that I can setup up a new Flickr account SpiffyFoo and associate it with Yahoo! login Bar. This might sound odd or convoluted, but it makes some sense (in my opinion) if you treat some accounts as "primary" (e.g., Foo and Baz) and others as "secondary" (e.g., SpiffyFoo and Bar).

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

Zack,

I think the confusion (at least on my part) is that when I log into Flickr using my Google account, it is not clear at all that I am also logging into the Yahoo Network ...given that I never enter my yahoo id/ password into any screen.

So, when I signed out, I thought I could just ignore the "sign out of Yahoo as well?" link because I hadn't signed into yahoo.

Before today, yes, I always clicked that link to log me out of Yahoo too.

view photos

kitby says:

For those who already have a Flickr account (that's associated with a Yahoo! login), I don't think this FAQ makes it clear that the binding that's created is between the Yahoo! login and the Google login. My first thought was that the binding that would be created would be between the Flickr account and the Google account.

view photos

Christopher Chan says:

eMiLy @_@ Thanks. I've posted the information you requested in the other thread.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard says:

ktiby, you are right that a switch like that isn't possible. You may be able to unbind Google account Baz from Yahoo! ID Bar in the future. However, the ability to switch isn't there. I'm not sure if in the future you will be able to switch on all accounts. As you can see the whole idea of multiple logins, although useful, can be confusing. We need to determine if giving the ability to switch is making it even harder for people because they use it when they don't need to. It looks like it may. It is something we are investigating to make this as easy as possible in the future.

I'll take a look at that FAQ as well.

Good point Brenda. I'll bring this up with the team.

view photos

solennial says:

So yes or no - are we long time users going to get an option to switch to a google login?

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

you can start using a google login ... but you can't get rid of your Yahoo ID (even though you won't be using it to log in).

view photos

Marline0919 says:

Sign-in process:

I found it very easy to log in using my Google ID (to this account, which was started with a Yahoo! ID). Thanks for that.

Binding process:

It wasn't at all clear (until I came to this thread) that my Google ID and Yahoo! ID are now permanently bound together, as far as Flickr's concerned.

Transfer:

I'm still unclear on the ability to transfer to a different Yahoo! ID. This FAQ makes it sound like I'd still be able to transfer my Flickr account to a different Yahoo! ID.

Yet Zack (above) makes it sound like this wouldn't be possible...

view photos

SF Lіghts says:

Is there a protest group yet? :P

You do it.

view photos

derek@antiquark says:

Can I select specific flickr pictures to upload to facebook?

I.e., at my flickr picture page, I click on "Share This" then choose, "Share to Facebook" or something like that?

BTW, I've set up the account so it doesn't automatically upload pics to facebook, I'd like to choose which pics go to FB.

Thanks!

view photos

Big Guy 4 U says:

I'm confused, I created this Flickr account with my Google ID and Google is my primary e-mail....But now on my account page it says: You are signed in to Flickr via your Yahoo ID...Is this correct ??? I'm almost scared to sign out...any thoughts or is that correct ? I do have a yahoo account but do not use it in anyway for Flickr...

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

I just checked my other account (that I created with a google id) and it definitely says I'm signed in with Google.

If yours says you're signed in with yahoo, then maybe you are? You said you have a yahoo ID... is it possible that you actually had a flickr account with that ID and that's the one you are in now?

view photos

Big Guy 4 U says:

When I signed in this morning to Flickr, I used my google ID...I have not signed out yet...I checked this after your post above...I am signed in to yahoo too right now for my home page on a different tab and YIM... I hope it does not cause me trouble...

view photos

ColleenM says:

RubyMae

Why, yes! Thank you for asking

Flickreenos Against **Logging In**

view photos

Flickr Staff

pkingDesign says:

asked "Can I select specific flickr pictures to upload to facebook?"

Not yet, but sometime soon in the mysterious future you'll be able to share a link to specific photos via Facebook.

Thanks for the feedback so far folks, please keep it coming.

view photos

passing cloud>falling behind< says:

I reckon a great idia like they all link up one dosnt have to say switch from useing something in google to get into flickr by haveing to bring up yahoo likewise face book saves one whole lotta clicking... And time.... Cool if any/Either/ One of them was malefunctioning/= Draging ect also one can link aviary/And stumble and windows live .Its a net work customized terrffic.

view photos

emilytbm says:

Since this change, I can't seem to log in when I am using Google Chrome. Is this a bug?

ETA: I keep getting looped back to this error message no matter which option I choose farm6.static.flickr.com/5045/5374825876_75042c2a37.jpg
emilytbm edited this topic 40 months ago.

view photos

kitby says:

Zack Sheppard said:

As you can see the whole idea of multiple logins, although useful, can be confusing.
Very true.

Here's one model:
Yahoo ID → some particular Flickr account ← Google ID

The Flickr account exists as an independent entity. To it, you attach various means of logging into it. Here, you can log into the account either through Google or through Yahoo. Logging in through Google doesn't magically log you into Yahoo, and vice versa. Disassociating, say, the Yahoo ID from the Flickr account doesn't magically disassociate the Google ID along with it, and vice versa.

The actual/current model seems to be (someone correct me if I'm wrong):
Google ID → Yahoo ID → some particular Flickr account

The Flickr account exists only as an appendage of some Yahoo ID, and the only way to get to it is through that Yahoo ID. If you want to attach another set of login credentials to the Flickr account, you actually have to attach them to the Yahoo ID.

Personally, I find the former model simpler and the latter model more confusing. The original post for this thread and the one for the previous Google ID thread sound much more like the former model than the latter one. With the latter model, you have to explain that logging in through Google also logs you into a Yahoo! account, with everything that entails. The latter model seems more prone to accidental creation of new accounts, which the FAQ goes out of its way to warn you about (tiny arrow pointing to what you should do versus a huge cross-out over what to avoid).
kitby edited this topic 40 months ago.

view photos

FitnessSingles says:

I am looking to start a group for this site and am trying to display flicker pics of the site can someone lead me in the correct direction to do this? I am new here. Thanks.

[staff edit: removed a link]
pkingDesign (staff) edited this topic 40 months ago.

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

FitnessSingles Spamming official Help topics is a good way to ensure you won't be new here for long.

view photos

IrenicRhonda says:

I have Flickr pro included in my BT/Yahoo package. I need to sign in with my BT ID and at the top of my Account page it says "You are signed in to Flickr via your Yahoo ID (XXXXX@btinternet.com) You have a Pro account, at no cost as long as you keep your Yahoo! service".

In the FAQ it says "If you sign in to Flickr with a Yahoo! ID and you then delete your Yahoo! account, you will not be able to sign in to your Flickr account. In the future, this will delete your Flickr account as well,"

So if I change my ISP (from BT) in the future does that mean I will also lose my entire Flickr account? Over 15,000 photos in nearly 400 Sets? Though it is the comments and 4 years of interaction I would mainly lose.

view photos

sinnick says:

I think you guys have misunderstood why people were asking to log into their accounts using a Google ID.

It's not because we want to save on remembering passwords. Hell, I'm sure most people use the same password everywhere anyway. Plus, I leave myself logged in to Flickr most of the time anyway.

The reason I want to use Google to log into Flickr is so that I can finally, FINALLY, delete my Yahoo account. I want one less thing to manage online.

The fact that using Flickr forces me to maintain a Yahoo account is personally annoying to me. It is ONLY Flickr that keeps my Yahoo account around, I use none of Yahoo's other services.

The day Flickr forced us all to "merge" our Flickr accounts with our Yahoo accounts was a bad day indeed.

This change today, in my opinion, makes the whole login/logoff process a lot more confusing, and doesn't address the key concern.

*sigh*. Let me know when I can delete my Yahoo account, flickr! I love you, but I hate not being able to control the email addresses you store for me.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

"I think you guys have misunderstood why people were asking to log into their accounts using a Google ID... The reason I want to use Google to log into Flickr is so that I can finally, FINALLY, delete my Yahoo account."

+1

In fact, during all the request over the last several years for the ability to log in via Google, this was the reason most often mentioned.

view photos

kitby says:

Ditto what sinnick and Wil C. Fry said.

view photos

kitby says:

Continuing my musings

As far as I can tell "using a Google ID to sign up for a new Flickr account" is actually doing the following: You use the Google ID to create a new Yahoo! ID (which is tied to that Google ID). Then a new Flickr account is created and tied to that Yahoo! ID.

There's one problem with this: You're not told in any clear terms that you've magically created a Yahoo! ID in the process (an ID that's some unspeakable mess of hexadecimal, incidentally). It might be there in the fine print, somewhere, on some page that you have to click through, but seriously, you have to know that almost no one reads that sort of stuff.

In any event, there's now this Yahoo! ID with its own profile and settings—settings that someone might want to look at, because while there's next to no information in that account, there are still settings that someone might want to change to be more private. And I hope that the only way of logging into that Yahoo! ID is via the Google ID that it was initially tied to, because you're never told the password to that Yahoo! ID. That, in turn, makes it awfully difficult to use Yahoo!'s Account Deletion page because it asks for… the ID's associated password.

view photos

kkuphal says:

*sigh* I tried using both Facebook and Google methods and the Facebook fails with an error similar to the one posted above and after using Google I now appear to have two Yahoo IDs both using my gmail address only I can't do anything with the "new" one because I don't know/have a password for it so I can't terminate it or change the password. All I wanted was a slightly more convenient method for logging onto Flickr but now it appears I just have one more Yahoo account I don't want.

view photos

elementalPaul says:

Part of the problem is that it seems to be all easy to accidentally create a new Flickr account. Intuitively I'm thinking that I'm trying to log with my Google ID so why would I be asked for my Yahoo password?! The way I see it I've added my google email address to my account and verified it. All I should have to do to log in to my Flickr account after that is put in my google login details, otherwise I would just log in with my Yahoo details.

[cross posted from here]

My experience of creating a new Flickr account by accident put me right off signing in with anything other than my Yahoo login. I've nothing against Yahoo (the association with Flickr was already there when I signed up to Flickr) and have use Yahoo email since my original online email provider went subscription only but I was keen to try the new login process, not so keen now.

view photos

kitby says:

Flickr's sign out page should also include links to log you out of Google and Facebook. You can log into Flickr by logging into Yahoo!, and so the sign out page gives you the option of logging out of Yahoo!. The links for Google and Facebook should be there by analogy.

[edit: minor typo]
kitby edited this topic 40 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard says:

Marline0919, the link to swtch your account to a different ID isn't available for accounts that have Facebook/Google login setup. I updated the FAQ to reflect this.

Big Guy 4 U, If you have setup logging in through Google for your account and you were able to login than you are setup properly and you can login and out as needed. Even when you create an account with Google or Facebook, you are basically creating a Yahoo! account that will let you login to different Yahoo! services so there is an entry in the database for the ID. We have seen a couple cases where people are seeing this in their account page instead of the google or faceboon account they used to login. What shows doesn't affect how you login though. So you can still login with the google ID that you have working.

emilytbm, can you report that in the bugs thread? Thanks :)

view photos

uıɐɾ ʞ ʇɐɯɐs says:

Could Yahoo/Flickr support logging in with ANY arbitrary OpenID?

OpenID is not supposed to be about perpetuating walled gardens (e.g. Facebook, Google).

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

>using Flickr forces me to maintain a Yahoo account is personally annoying to me

This is what I struggle to understand. I created a Yahoo id many years ago. I don't use it for anything else, but I don't maintain it. There is no benefit to me of switching my login to Google or any other provider; it's just a string that I enter into the login field. It makes perfect sense to me that I should use a Yahoo login to access a Yahoo site like Flickr and a Google login to access my gmail.

view photos

kitby says:

Patrick Costello said:

It makes perfect sense to me that I should use a Yahoo login to access a Yahoo site like Flickr and a Google login to access my gmail.
Well, yes, except Flickr hardly brands itself as being yet another Yahoo! site. It's pretty easy, hanging around here, to forget that it's actually part of Yahoo!. There are no real links to the rest of the Yahoo! world. The only thing you might ever see is that tiny "from Yahoo!" attached to the logo, and after a while, its pretty easy to gloss over even that. To me at least, Flickr is its own thing, with an unexplained and seemingly pointless attachment to Yahoo! IDs.

The original post here doesn't even mention Yahoo!, apparently preferring to mention Flickr as if it was its own standalone thing. It really ought to say, "Starting today, you will be able to use a Facebook ID to create and log in to Yahoo!, and as a side-effect, you'll be able to create and log in to Flickr."

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

'It really ought to say, "Starting today, you will be able to use a Facebook ID to create and log in to Yahoo!, and as a side-effect, you'll be able to create and log in to Flickr." '

+1

"There is no benefit to me of switching my login to Google or any other provider"

But there is a benefit to some of us, or would be. The Yahoo! ID is yet another string of characters (and then the password) that I have to remember. (And change occasionally, for security reasons.) It's something I only have because of Flickr.

Until this Google/Facebook sign in was rolled out, some of us were holding out hope that we'd actually be able to sign in to Flickr using our Google IDs and then be able to ignore the YahooID or get rid of it altogether.

As it turns out, when the feature was unveiled, we're actually signing into Yahoo! using our Google IDs, and then into Flickr. Which creates yet another link to an account that I didn't want in the first place...

view photos

Gary Randall says:

It get's confusing as to what you're signed into or not when you have two gmail accounts a Yahoo account and a YouTube account, Facebook Account, Twitter account and etc. With the integrated sign in gmail and Flickr get confused as to who you are. I get confused as to which I'm signed into and then reset passwords and then it all goes down hill from there.

I would rather sign into what ever I might be using at the time and stay out of what I'm not using at the time. I would rather maintain control over my passwords. Maybe it's me, but when I used this feature I was unable to sign back in to my Flickr account because it had me confused with my other gmail account.

I'm still trying to get it all sorted back out again.

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

So if it was called a Flickr ID instead of a Yahoo ID, would it make more sense?

"I have to maintain this Flickr ID, that I never wanted, simply to login to Flickr. It's so unfair."

While we're at it, why can't we use our Google IDs to access our bank service or buy things from Amazon?

view photos

Kevin says:

Myself, I was hoping to use my sanrio.com customer account to login here. I don't know why they can't make that happen.

view photos

Bob Utke says:

The new login options are nice. I want to update my facebook with my flickr posts, but I can't do it through Yahoo Updates because I can't keep the same level of privacy. I block my flickr account from search engines because they are only pictures for family and friends. I restrict all of facebook to friends only. But if I post to facebook through yahoo updates it appears I have to let the Yahoo search engine index my pictures. I will continue to manually share my pictures to facebook through links, but it would be more convenient to share directly without exposing my data to public search. Wordpress allows a direct post to facebook. And, of course, flickr allows me to post directly into my wordpress blog. I don't see why I can't post directly into my facebook account.

view photos

Flickr Staff

protohiro says:

Kevin, that seems more like a product suggestion, the flickrideas group is probably a better place

view photos

Kevin says:

protohiro I posted that request years ago,but it hasn't been implemented.

Think, Flickr, think!

view photos

mendhak says:

Thanks for releasing this feature, it's stuff like this that keeps me coming back.

Thanks especially to Zack S for answering all the questions here patiently.

That is all.

view photos

Lloyd Irving says:

i dont know if someone has this problem as well, but this what i get when im trying to log in with facebook, what can i do?

You have signed into Yahoo! successfully. However the connection between your Facebook account and your Yahoo! account failed. To re-connect, please sign out and sign in with your Facebook account again.

view photos

kitby says:

Wil C. Fry said:

The Yahoo! ID is yet another string of characters (and then the password) that I have to remember. (And change occasionally, for security reasons.)
It's more than that, though. There's a whole associated profile, with its own automatic update/publishing settings, privacy settings, etc.

"Yahoo! rolls out something new profile-related. (Of course, I'll only know this if I actually pay attention to Yahoo! itself, because it's not as if Flickr's going to tell me about every little thing Yahoo! does.) Oh, fiddlesticks. Better go check my Yahoo! profile to make sure everything is still set to be private, like I want it. Oh, oops. It's not. Where are the settings that I need to change…"

Unless my memory is failing on me, that has actually happened to my Yahoo! ID before. And it's annoying, because that ID exists only to use Flickr and most, if not all, of the information in that Yahoo! ID has to be entered directly into Flickr anyway, so it's not as if having a Yahoo! ID somehow simplifies my experience on Flickr.

view photos

ther-esa says:

Is Kevin being funny? I can't tell.

view photos

little relax bear ♥ says:

I currently have a Yahoo Sign In for my Flickr account.
I want to link my Google ID so I can sign in with Google in the future.
I followed the directions in the FAQ (https://www.flickr.com/help/signin/#yesido) for people who ALREADY HAVE A FLICKR ACCOUNT:

I signed out of flickr
I clicked "sign in with google ID"
I input my google info

however, instead of getting the page where I can select I already have a YAHOO ID,

it brings me to the "create new flickr account" page!

I DO NOT want a new flickr account

I want to Associate my GOOGLE ID with my YAHOO FLICKR ID

HOW DO I DO THIS???
none of the comments explain this...has anyone else had the same issue?
thank you

view photos

RubyMae says:

I reckon he's being dead serious.

view photos

RubyMae says:

iloverelaxbear Did you read the FAQ about how to associate your google id with your yahoo id?

view photos

Wana55 says:

Gotcha! It works fine.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard says:

"Until this Google/Facebook sign in was rolled out, some of us were holding out hope that we'd actually be able to sign in to Flickr using our Google IDs and then be able to ignore the YahooID or get rid of it altogether."

Flickr is a part of Yahoo!. Just like Yahoo! Finance, Groups, and Mail are part of Yahoo! and you need a Yahoo! account. Just like Google Reader, Picasa, and Gmail are part of Google and you need a Google account. To login to Flickr you need a Yahoo! account.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

"To log in to Flickr you need a Yahoo! account."

Thank you for a straight answer.

view photos

8a5674fa689822a4cd8be64e84150781 says:

Hi Zack,

So, when I created this account using my google id, a Yahoo ID was also created.

I think you need to make that a bit clearer in the sign in process, because it means that the information I gave that created my new "yahoo profile" is now shareable via Yahoo according to the default privacy settings, if I'm understanding it properly. People might want to sign into their new Yahoo profile and update it accordingly, but if they don't know that a Yahoo ID was even created, they won't know to do that.

(oh, this is by the way, in my new account).

view photos

RubyMae says:

8a5674fa689822a4cd8be64e84150781 I like your new name and avatar. :)

view photos

Big Papppa says:

Ok i signed up with my facebook account which is great but now my iphone app wants a password and well, i dont have one... cant create one either cause i need to put in the old one there too...

what am i suppose to do to use the iphone app?

view photos

kevcallaway says:

Zack Sheppard says:

The point of this is so that people that would rather sign in through Google or Facebook instead of a Yahoo! ID can do that. As Searcher noted, one less password to remember.

After a Google or Facebook account is associated with a Yahoo! ID you can't disassociate it currently no. We hope to have that coming in the future but currently it isn't possible. We can manually do this for someone that accidentally setup logging in on the wrong account but that's the only time currently.

One other important note is that if you setup logging in through Goog/fb, do not delete your Yahoo! ID! You are binding your Facebook/Google login to the Yahoo! ID. So deleting the Yahoo! ID, deletes the ability to login through the other accounts as well.
---
Zack: I created my Flickr Pro account with a Gmail account that I do not want to use. I have not deleted the gmail account yet, but I plan to. Can I please change my Login to my FaceBook ID? I'm just trying to keep this as simple as possible. You said in your post that, could manually help someone to change if they signed up for Flickr using the wrong account. Thanks.
Posted 39 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

kevcallaway says:

@Zack Sheppard

I'm all set. All I needed to do was transfer from my google Login to another account. I don't need to bother you. Thanks.

view photos

vnz6890g3259768wvnz0erhvn59vz68trhvkinz598vnz90h9 says:

I have a big problem with the Flickr customer care regarding help by e-mail. 2 times now I requested to unbind THIS Google-login I'm writing now from from its current flickr account as I want to associate it with my main flickr account. 1st time I got a reply to delete my Account associated with this Google ID and the 2nd time they told me its NOT POSSIBLE to attach/switch an account from yahoo ID to google ID which is wrong as far as I understand you can have both IDs associated with you flickr account. But here in the Help Forum they said NOT to delete the account and to write to the customer care with help by e-mail. I did the procedure outlined here (https://www.flickr.com/help/signin/#9538181) to unbind the
google ID but the reaction of the help by e-mail request was not as expected, resulting in an unbinding of the google ID nor giving a reason why it cant be done if it cant be done (case Nr. 1713878).

So I request it here again, maybe the staff read the forums is more
aware of the problems then the help by e-mail staff :)

1. Unbind the google I'd associated with THIS account and then this account can be deleted. I cant delete myself as it was adviced not to do so if you want to unbind your google id.

2. As I dont want to keep this account, will the google ID be free'd AUTOMATICALLY upon deletion of this flickr account? Can I, after I deleted this account, bind this google ID, I'm using now for this account, be bound to my main Flickr Account?

Please excuse the ugly nickname, I'd just dont want to waste a good one by deleting this account so I changed it to some rubbish.

Thanks for your help
Andreas

view photos

laroyo says:

I have a problem sharing my photos from Flickr to Facebook. When I choose the "Sharing & Extending" tab in the Account information, and click on the 'Connect' button i get the following message:

"There was a problem connecting your account to Facebook. Please try again later." - and I keep getting this message now for 3 days.

Can somebody tell me how can I solve the problem, or what is the problem?

Thanks
Lora

view photos

kitby says:

From the perspective of a Flickr user, I can't help but wonder whether this screen (from this FAQ) should directly ask, "Are you trying to create a new Flickr account, or sign in to an existing one?" One question, two buttons. That's all.

Instinctually, I feel like that would be less prone to accidental creation of new accounts. It directly asks the user for the information that the system needs (in language that the user is probably already thinking of), rather than leaving it to the user to guess what to do and what it might accomplish.

I knew what do at that screen because I had read that FAQ before trying to bind a Google account to my existing Yahoo! ID and Flickr account. I'm not sure I would done the right thing had I not previously seen the FAQ.

view photos

SHOUT!!!! NNNNNTTTTT!!!! says:

Hi there. I have some problem that is using by GoogleID,
Before I try to use flickr app of iPhone, need to log in Google account by MobileSafari.so do that .but then I always fail.

After logging in at mobile safari(using by Google ID), some redirection seems run, and finally error has occure, because of missing api_key parameter(by green text). And I cant solve this phenomenon.

Can I get some resolution? pls help.

view photos

davidwalkerphoto says:

I accidentally created a new flickr account with my google id. What i meant to do was add the google id to login to my existing flickr account which has a yahoo id login.When i emailed customer service asking if they can unbind my google id from the accidentally created account, and put it on my correct flickr account (has a yahoo id) they told me its not possible. From reading these forums, this sounds incorrect. Who is right?

view photos

orangebanana123 says:

Try clicking "Sign Out" at the top right, so that you are signing OUT of Yahoo,

Then if you go back to Flickr.com and click sign in, it should be the regular sign in page and allow you to try and sign in with your Yahoo email.

I had mistyped my Yahoo ID the first time trying to login into Flickr, and then Flickr kept giving me a screen saying I was signed into Yahoo with my gmail account, and asking me to verify my gmail account, but then the next Flickr screen only had the option to create a NEW Yahoo account, just like others have mentioned. I just wanted to login into my existing Flickr account.

Every time I went back to the Flickr home page to try and login, it kept giving me this same 'verify' then 'create new' pages. But I finally figured out that signing out of Yahoo (because it had me logged in with my gmail account) got me back to the regular Flickr sign in page. Very confusing and frustrating not being able to just login - Flickr should fix this.

Hope this helps some of you.

view photos

RubyMae says:

Sorry, moved this to the bug thread, as I think that where I should have originally posted.
Posted 38 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Darren Broadhead says:

Can we swap yahoo id's to google ids yet? I want to decommission my yahoo Id pronto because I don't like the idea of having accounts everywhere. Further, I think that a login should be a login associating a google or yahoo as a method to sign in is a nice to have. Sites should never assume that they will permanent associate themselves with another site. There is something vaguely evading the main theme of privacy rules here withe introduction of this new concept. Users are agreeing to something without necessarily understanding the issues behind this. Yes I like the idea of ease of sign up. No that dies not give you the right to acces my contacts, view my wall, look up personal info that up to now only friends have access to nor permanently bind this permission forever. I need to be able to decouple and control access. When will we be able to decouple ids?

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

"Can we swap yahoo id's to google ids yet?"

Staff have said definitively that we *must* have a Yahoo! ID to use Flickr. Even accounts created with Google IDs and Facebook logins are creating a Yahoo! ID in the background.

EDIT:
Here's where Zack said it:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157625744349385/7215762...

view photos

kitby says:

"I need to be able to decouple and control access. When will we be able to decouple ids?"

You already can:

In most cases we will be able to unbind (that's what we call it) Facebook/Google from an account
You just have to send an email to staff.

view photos

Oh, No! It's Karol Jo!!! says:

I absolutely cannot connect my flickr account to my facebook account. I created my flickr account using Google ID and I'm SO upset about it. Since I created it using Google ID it NEVER keeps me logged in, it automatically logs me out (despite my yahoo settings saying to stay signed in for 2 weeks) every time I close my browser. Then it won't allow me to connect to facebook it just gives me an error. This is the 2nd flickr pro account I've bought in the last year so I feel like that's $50 wasted since I can't fully utilize all of the features and Flickr won't transfer my pro account to a new account if I make it using Yahoo ID. What can I do to fix this? I'm really disappointed.

view photos

thelmabowlen says:

I submitted a request for help on February 6 after I made a mistake in trying to connect my Google address. The person who first helped me said they had to escalate my case to engineers. Then someone else started replying to me saying I'd get a free month of PRO and that they were still trying to unbind my account.

It's March 22 and after sending another follow-up after not hearing back from this new person, Marcela, I finally get a reply saying my account shows that I have been able to log in.

Correct. But still not with my Google ID. Why would I make this up? Very frustrating and exasperating.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads