Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

Hey there, Flickr Pro, nice to see you again!
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Official Thread] New version of Flickr's embed code
Latest: 10 hours ago
Flickr/Yahoo login issues.
Latest: 30 hours ago

Current Discussion

[Official Thread] Updates on tags
Latest: 12 minutes ago
Pictures uploaded not showing on Camera Roll
Latest: 14 minutes ago
Issue with sharing
Latest: 22 minutes ago
Login with old ovi.com account
Latest: 25 minutes ago
Flickr Bulk Uploadr is not working properly
Latest: 27 minutes ago
A troubles with flickr support
Latest: 56 minutes ago
Album View: 'Justified' view preference does not stick when going from page to page!
Latest: 2 hours ago
ipad
***[STILL A BUG FOR SOME USERS]*** Album sharing incorrectly states safe content is restricted
I really dislike the new layout
Where are the photos I have uploaded privately on my photostream?
iCloud has done it for years, why can’t Flickr (down-sync)
Latest: 4 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Acknowledged issue-should be fixed] tags added recently are not picked up by searches?

Henk van der Eijk PRO says:

Hi, I looked to see if this was already reported, but didn't find anything.

Something that used to work, doesn't seem to do so anymore. I've noticed this since 12 hours (the morning of December 27, CET), but maybe it started 1 or 2 days earlier. Didn't have this problem last Friday.

It seems that when I add tags to other people's photos they show up in a tag search (which is a good thing, meaning clerical errors are ruled out?).
But if I want to make that into a slideshow, it only gives me the photo which already had that tag before X-mas weekend.

In the given example the tag was added by me to all photos. The same goes for other photos I have tagged: previously tagged photo(s) show up, the ones tagged today do not.
I haven't uploaded photos myself, so could not test whether it does work in that case.

I hope this is a glitch that can be solved?

Thanks, HvdE

[Edited title to better reflect issue.]

Staff Update Mar 14 2011:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157625560721827/7215762...

Staff Update Feb 22 2011:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157625560721827/7215762...

Staff Update Jan 06 2011: There are hardware and software issues affecting the search function in Flickr. Our operations team is aware of these problems and working on them. This will probably be an issue for few more weeks. We understand how important it is to make your work available in searches and it is important to us as well.

Staff Update Dec 30 2010: There is an issue with search that is causing some lag and inconsistent results in search. Because of this you may not see some images when doing searches, tag searches, or when using the API search.

We don't have an ETA but unfortunately from the investigation we have done it looks like this may continue at least through the weekend and maybe longer. We also want it to be resolved as soon as possible to and we're doing everything we can to make that happen. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Posted at 1:24PM, 27 December 2010 PDT ( permalink )
eMiLy @_@ (staff) edited this topic 53 months ago.

← prev 1 2 3 4
(1 to 100 of 314 replies in [Acknowledged issue-should be fixed] tags added recently are not picked up by searches?)
view photos

Just bumping this in the hope that somebody can help and/or picks this up. A day later the problem is still there.
Posted 56 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

A few small specifications:

1. the problem also exists with tags made by the user who made the photo (owner).

2. the problem also exists with tags added before X-mas weekend (2010).

But:

3. one photo with tags (from the photo's owner), that is added to a group last Sunday, DOES turn up in a slideshow that already existed in that group. More photos by the same user, with the same tag and added at the same time, do not show up in the slidehow.

So it seems the problem is not easy to recreate / solve.

view photos

IrenicRhonda says:

If you have a quick search of the forum over the last week or two you will see that the search function is flaky for several people in many different situations.

With regard to to other people's tags not working, do make sure they are not new unreviewed accounts

Accounts enter the review queue when 5 public photos have been uploaded. Then it takes on average 3-4 working days

Until then photos do not return in tag searches or API calls nor be seen in groups by non members (or signed out members).

Here is the FAQ with all the detail

view photos

Thanks @IrenicRhonda, it could well be a search-function problem, somehow missed those issues.

To clarify: the photo's that do not appear in the slideshow have tags that are both mine and other people's. When I delete the [show/]-part of the url, the photos show up nicely in the tag page.

So it is just the slideshow not picking them up.

(edited to add 'have tags that', to be clear)

view photos

The account-aspect is interesting but doesn't seem to be the problem.

The 3 accounts I have noticed this with are old (2005, 2007, 2008). But they are all free accounts, which me made do a further check:
Additions to the group made last week by people with free accounts, do show up in the slideshows.

A further test with photos of my own results in the same: they show up in the tag page, not in the slideshow.

Which leaves me to think that it might well be a search issue;
- that concerns some tagged photos not to show up in the slideshow;
- while those same photos appear in the tag page;
- that concerns photos added (to this group) since December 26, 2010.

- that has nothing to do with account status.

It started Sunday, I hope it ends when the search issues are tackled.
Thanks again for your input!

view photos

IrenicRhonda says:

Yes I'm sure it's connected to the Search issues others are having

view photos

Salíadarunavuelta says:

Hello,

I have the very same problem: I own a pro account. I upload photos to my flickr account with tags using the Uploadr. I check them as a registered user and they are there. If I check them as an anonymous user, I can see the tags in the tag cloud, but if I try to access the pictures tagged, the list is empty. Same thing with the slideshow or when I try to show them in my blog using the API. Again, this only is a problem when I check them as an anonymous user.

Look at this:

www.flickr.com/photos/saliadarunavuelta/tags/puket
www.flickr.com/photos/saliadarunavuelta/tags/puket/show
See? empty.

And now notice that if you see my tag cloud, the tag "puket" is there.
www.flickr.com/photos/saliadarunavuelta/tags/puket/show

Again, the photo set is visible if I visit this links with my account. This problem is solved usually within 24/48 hours, wich I find way too much for a payed service.

view photos

Salíadarunavuelta says:

BTW, this problem has been forever around, I've written several times to tech support (Spanish) and all they do is reply back with useless copy-paste blahblah.

view photos

NCPR PRO says:

Same here.

flickr.photos.search has been unreliable at best.

At present we have several photos that appear in search queries at flickr.com, as well as when using the API for flickr.photos.getInfo and flickr.people.getPublicPhotos queries. But when we do a flickr.photos.search query, any photos we've posted with the tag we are searching for since December 23rd are not returned by the API.

We've seen smaller scale versions of this problem before, when we waited a day for photos to show up in the API tag search. But never this bad for this long.

view photos

Salíadarunavuelta says:

This kills me. I rely on the API for all my blog galleries.

view photos

Flickr Staff

eMiLy @_@ says:

Hi Folks,

I am checking with our ops team now and will report back when there is any updates about this matter.

view photos

NCPR PRO says:

Since this thread has been redirected, I'll repost my test links from the old thread here just to be helpful:

As a test, try this query with your own api key (I've not used our API key on purpose)
api.flickr.com/services/rest/?method=flickr.photos.search...

Compare to this query:
api.flickr.com/services/rest/?method=flickr.people.getPub...

The latter query brings forth all the most recent images with the "ncprpotd" tag, but the former does not. Why?

view photos

Mattias E Johnsson PRO says:

Chiming in to this thread by saying something like all the above. Search is flaky, no matter if it's done through the API or flickr.com web interface. Not all images with a certain tag within a group are always returned from a search.

view photos

Flickr Staff

eMiLy @_@ says:

Hi folks,

We're aware that searching has been pretty lousy lately, and we're doing ongoing work to improve performance and reliability in searches.

We apologize for any inconvenience until we've fully resolved the issue.

Thanks!

view photos

storingdenhaag says:

Thanks for your reply Emily. I hope this gets fixed soon, since I use Flickr to post photos on our student exhibition website and half of them are photo-less at the moment.

Perhaps this is useful to know, for debugging:
If I use the Api Explorer tool, the search result seems to be way better with 'Sign call as [username] with full permissions?' AND when searching filtered on my account ID.

view photos

OurEmma PRO says:

+1 for this causing a whole world of pain. API is the main reason for using flickr.

view photos

danlehman says:

Is it possible this problem is causing RSS feeds for tags to not update?

view photos

Salíadarunavuelta says:

I think it has to do with the way tag content is shown to authenticated users or not. If I see my rss feeds, searches, slideshows or I use the API to list tags and I am loged in, no problem. But if I do the same thing unautheticated, I see no results for 24/48 hours.

view photos

danlehman says:

Thanks Salíadarunavuelta - that'll explain why my latest pics don't appear in my RSS reader. Problem is, my blogging service only picks up items less than 2 days old.

Talk about your catch 22s!

view photos

personne.de.chandigarh PRO says:

I was redirected from over there.
I have observed that though I do get a slideshow with a recently added tag, I can't hyperlink the tag search slideshow URL.

view photos

Scottish Rose says:

Just to point out (as mentioned here www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157625573464797/ with examples), this issue doesn't just affect 'new' photos (less than 48 hours on Flickr), there are photos in our group that haven't been picked up for most of this month.

Also, when I checked the photos in the API Explorer, it didn't matter whether I was authenticated or anonymous - they still didn't get picked up.

Third point - it's not *all* photos that aren't getting picked up, just some, which implies to me maybe problems with a few of your servers rather than all? That's why I gave examples, to see if you might isolate it.

Having said that, in the last 24hrs, only 2 new photos have been picked up by my script, and there are many more photos than that which have been tagged correctly (maybe 20, maybe more). So the problem seems to be worse just lately.

view photos

storingdenhaag says:

Well .. I'm back to semi-static pages :( .. need the site to be online with all material this weekend ..

view photos

Disney Dan PRO says:

We have our own website, and it uses the flickr API... and of course nothing is being picked up at all, so we have a blank website pretty much right now :((((
None of my pictures that are tagged correctly from my recent uploads are searchable at all. Not very helpful!!!!

view photos

Salíadarunavuelta says:

Bumping for justice

view photos

Disney Dan PRO says:

Still nothing...

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

When this topic was first posted, I wasn't experiencing any of the problems listed above... I tried to reproduce the issue and couldn't.

Today, though, newly uploaded images aren't appearing in any tag searches, unless I'm logged in as myself.

Example:
www.flickr.com/photos/saintseminole/5306886828/

This image was uploaded a few hours ago. When I click on the tag winky pirate (for example), that image *does* show on the resulting page (for me only).

It is publicly searchable (or so it says), public, and "safe."

If I visit that same page when not signed in, or signed in to another account, that image does not show up.

EDIT:

It also does not show up when searching full text for winkypirate, either in my photostream or "everyone's images."

view photos

storingdenhaag says:

@disney dan - since december 23rd ..

view photos

MuellerClan says:

I am having a similar problem with not having my pics show up in the RSS feed. This was also discussed in this discontinued thread: www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/40920/

I have tried making sure the content type is set to photo, but the pics still don't show up if you subscribe to the feed for some new tags I created. The feeds have the 1969 date on them and don't show any pics assigned to them. The latest picture my previous tags show is from 12/25, but nothing I uploaded and tagged today. Can anyone help with this bug?

view photos

Graphіe (Myriam) PRO says:

@Wil C. Fry - It sounds like indexing for the search functionalities stopped working at a certain point yesterday (Dec. 29). I perform a full text search for Istanbul pictures every day. I also post Istanbul pictures every day. I can find the pictures I posted on and before Dec. 28, but not the one I posted on Dec. 29-30. There are actually very few Istanbul pictures posted on Dec 29th showing up in the search results, and none posted today, which is clearly abnormal.
Graphіe (Myriam) edited this topic 56 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard PRO says:

Hi all,

We're still taking a look at this and apologize about the trouble.

view photos

Mattias E Johnsson PRO says:

@Graphie - I've seen problems on and off since atleast October/November

view photos

jronaldlee says:

@Mattias - the stuff really hit the fan this time around within the last week. I would consider the past couple of months to be intermittently broken - and the last week to be fully broken.

view photos

Graphіe (Myriam) PRO says:

@Mattias - Yep, it has been on and off for the last few months, but as jronaldlee said, it is now totally broken, as in kaput! Well, the search functionality itself works. I can confirm it because I saved a lot of search queries for pictures posted in 2008 and 2009 and they still return what they should return. The current problem is with indexing of newly posted pictures.

view photos

Salíadarunavuelta says:

@Mattias this is correct, it has been like that for months.
@wcf Yes, unless logged as myself, correct.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

Graphіe
I'm aware. :-)

I read & comment in the help forum every day. My post was just to supply new information for staff looking at the bug. :-)

view photos

Scottish Rose says:

As @Mattias says, we've seen (and I've reported) problems during October and then again in November, which did appear to get fixed. This time it's gone on for longer :-(

view photos

sparkleshots (trying to catch up) says:

I noticed photos uploaded from the 29th December does not appear when I search my own photostream. Right now it is still happening.

view photos

wytten says:

I have a pro account and the slideshow link works when I'm logged in but doesn't when I'm not. The photos are public. You should fix this. Or do you offer refunds in these situations?

view photos

jrgcombr says:

tags are not working on my new photos if I´m not logged on.

view photos

thejunglecamp says:

Something very similar with my case. www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157625710737304/
Thank you everyone for responding there, the thread is closed now.

I hope the issue would resolve soon if it's applicable to everyone.

view photos

Martin LaBar (going on hiatus) PRO says:

I note that a search throughout Flickr for "lovely" produces the same results it did a day or so ago. Normally, there are several photos tagged or described as lovely every hour.

view photos

Princess Monster High says:

im new i was here for two days and added lots of pictures of monster high and i have tags description and my pictures are safe and i try to search them but they dont show up someone plz help me quick

view photos

Scottish Rose says:

I just ran my script again this morning, and there's been a minor improvement:
- 4 of the previously missing photos (missing since earlier in the month) are now being picked up
- a further 13 correctly-tagged photos have been picked up

There are still 16 older photos which are correctly tagged but not picked up, plus goodness knows how many new ones.

Admins - if you've done a partial fix, or a fix on one server, it looks like it's working?

view photos

Salíadarunavuelta says:

I reported this bug several times to Spanish tech support and their answer was a useless copy-paste. I still cannot see the photographs I tagged a few days ago. Bumping.

view photos

Ⓑⓔⓐ PRO says:

@Salíadarunavuelta, en el foro en español tienes suerte si te responden.....

view photos

Disney Dan PRO says:

Still cannot search new items. My website is kinda looking a bit boring without my photos being picked up!!...

view photos

personne.de.chandigarh PRO says:

And, the hyperlink to the URL of tag-search result slideshow still does not work even after the period of 24/48 hours that you had mentioned.

view photos

jparepir says:

I have the same problem with some of my groups. I posted a couple of pictures that can only be seen if you are logged in and if you are a member of the group. I have checked out their settings and everything seems to be ok.
jparepir edited this topic 56 months ago.

view photos

Salíadarunavuelta says:

I will bump this as it is relevant to my interests

view photos

Sofi Lundin says:

Grrrrrr is all I can say! Incredibly irritating! None of my tagged pics appear in the search! Please solve this issue at the earliest!

view photos

jronaldlee says:

Giving this another bump as it has been 24 hours since an official Flickr reply. Lot of pro accounts here looking for help.

view photos

kitby PRO says:

jronaldlee:

See the staff update in the original post. I'm sure they'll provide more information when they have it.

view photos

Chad Podoski PRO says:

Seeing same problem with my iPad app Flickpad, which uses search extensively. Lots of new photos not showing up.

view photos

Dan Pancamo PRO says:

Glad Im not the only one having this issue... Maybe there needs to be a status page someplace showing all the current know issues!

view photos

giveawayboy PRO says:

I'm glad to know this as well. Currently none of my new images are searchable by tag. I am glad Flickr is working to get this resolved. Thanks Flickr team.

view photos

Salíadarunavuelta says:

Yeah, tx Flickr :)
(bumping)

view photos

jasohill PRO says:

Thanks for working on this flickr. You guys are awesome.

view photos

Have been offline for a few days and am glad to see the issue has been picked up and worked at.
Thanks for the staff update!

(Oh: and have a great 2011, y'all!)

view photos

Salíadarunavuelta says:

We know you can do it, Flickr!
(bump)

view photos

Serkiz Oleg PRO says:

Hello!Help to make please my photos visible in the general search after I have removed and has reloaded a photo three months ago they are not indexed any more in the general search?

view photos

Steven connolly says:

i cant find pictures of mine in search too??

view photos

john irving - PRO says:

Hi, i'm having the same problem for the fourth time, i'going for the GUinness record!!!!!!
I don't see my photos in the search for "toronto".
Considering today , are 4 days of brownout.
What's damn is happened to Flickr???
Never seen this disguise before.

view photos

Martin LaBar (going on hiatus) PRO says:

Well, the problem seems to have been fixed. Thanks, Flickr!

view photos

Scottish Rose says:

Are you sure?

view photos

Teng Fong Lin says:

I just checked and my photos still don't show up when I search for them. The problem's been going on for about 2 weeks or so (a number of them do show up after about 4 days) and I have written to Flickr. I thought i was the only one experiencing the problem because the answer I got was for me to read the FAQ page which I would have already done. Hope the problem can be resolved soon.

view photos

Serkiz Oleg PRO says:

At me the photo four months do not appear in search from the moment of when I was registered, the status of an account safe in what there can be a problem?

view photos

Salíadarunavuelta says:

@MartinLaBar: It is not fixed at all.
@TengFongLin: It happened the same to me: I wrote to Flickr several times and all I got was a copypaste.

view photos

giveawayboy PRO says:

Thanks eMiLy @ @

view photos

giveawayboy PRO says:

I'm glad Flickr is trying to solve this. It's one of the biggest reasons I put my pictures here instead of elsewhere. I will keep checking this string for progress. Thanks Flickr.

view photos

Abiola_Lapite PRO says:

As of right now I can confirm that this problem continues to exist, so whatever fix has been applied, it obviously isn't working for everyone.

view photos

tacomamama says:

I have been looking specifically for New Year's Eve photos (First Night photos in particular) and can confirm that I'm getting almost nothing. Newly created tags of "2011" also return no results at all.

view photos

Salíadarunavuelta says:

terrible, terrible

view photos

wbb4 PRO says:

Another bump for waiting for a resolution to this for at least a week.

view photos

Carbon Arc PRO says:

Permit me to add my voice to the chorus...nothing I've posted since 12/28/2010 shows up in tag or full-text searches.
Carbon Arc edited this topic 56 months ago.

view photos

jmscws says:

My personal website utilises the API search (by tag) to dynamically update the lead image on the homepage to my most recently uploaded image tagged with a special tag, so sadly it has been stuck with the same photo for quite a few days now -- even removing the target keyword from the image doesn't cause flickr to return an older image with the same tag. The tag to image mapping database appears to have been frozen in time!

view photos

solennial says:

same for me

view photos

Salíadarunavuelta says:

Bump, Flickr.

view photos

stephanvanopstal says:

Same issue here. Searching for tags using the api search method does not work anymore. For me the issues started on December 25. Please fix it!

view photos

MichaelMoweryMedia PRO says:

Flickr, love your service. Having the same issue. Bump.

view photos

danegre says:

Same issue here.

view photos

tacomamama says:

Dear Flickr: I say this because I love you. If I didn't care, I would just quietly let you be teh suxors.

I understand that you are working on this issue. Please, for the benefit of everyone who uses your service, indicate in some fashion on search and tag results pages that there is a problem with the results, and that you are working on it. This has been going on for days and some warning to users is warranted.

view photos

P Shooter PRO says:

Well.. glad to hear that it's not just me.

view photos

john irving - PRO says:

Resolved??? what problem is solved?
I still don't see my photos!!!!!5 days!

view photos

IrenicRhonda says:

Staff have written in the OP

We don't have an ETA but unfortunately from the investigation we have done it looks like this may continue at least through the weekend and maybe longer. We also want it to be resolved as soon as possible to and we're doing everything we can to make that happen. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Nowhere does it say resolved

view photos

Quoc-Huy says:

I have some photos submitted to a group pool for a competition with the requirement to put two tags A and B.
When I search for A on my stream it lists all pictures correctly.
When I search for B on my stream it lists all pictures correctly.
When I search for A and B on my stream only few pictures are showing up.
When I search for B on the group pool, only few pictures are showing up (the one from A and B search).
No tested for A in group pool cuz A is used by everyone.

view photos

jronaldlee says:

@tacomamama wins a prize for the most eloquent call for help.
jronaldlee edited this topic 56 months ago.

view photos

aaweiland says:

my website also depends on this functionality. without it my website is blank

view photos

solennial says:

Should me send email's to support?

view photos

Brenda Anderson PRO says:

Sending an email won't help. Zack (staff) has already acknowledged the problem and sending an email will just waste time.

view photos

sniderscion PRO says:

I am also having this problem. New images do not show up in searches by tags or otherwise. The odd thing is that a contact of mine who shot the same event (The Toronto Polar Bear Dip) is not experiencing this issue.
It would be great to see this resolved soon.

view photos

Salíadarunavuelta says:

@solennial: All the emails I have sent to spanish-speaking support have been useless, they just answer back with a copy-paste message telling me to make the photos public, and s***t like that. You may try to write them, but I don't think it will help to solve the issue.

view photos

Jaymi Heimbuch says:

For several days now I can get a few photos with a new tag to show up when I search for the tag with the "my photostream" filter, but not when I search in the "everyone's photos" filter. The point is, I know the tags exist and they should show up under any filters. I think it's about time this problem is fixed!

I run a website that is dependent on tags functioning correctly - if Flickr isn't getting its tags to update, then my website effectively shuts down. There's no reason for a site as big and popular as Flickr to have issues getting new tags to immediately turn up in searches.
Jaymi Heimbuch edited this topic 56 months ago.

view photos

pmcclay PRO says:

@Jaymi: Ironic, with a smile. I suspect you nailed it. Flickr's "issues getting new tags to immediately turn up in searches" may owe much to their "as big and popular as Flickr" rep. Consider - how many people just got a new camera and/or "the gift of Flickr" and a festive occasion for snapshot snap snapping and promised twelve people that they would post all to Flickr? Minimizing update latency for large search indexes during heavy update activity keeps lots of smart people busy all over the wide world of IT. If the Flickr folk had capacity for a 10x spike in updates and saw a 14x spike post Christmas (where commercially observed), or an 8x spike plus some otherwise tolerable wrinkle, then they'd have a problem that might look like what contributors to this thread describe and no better answer than "we're still taking a look at this and apologize about the trouble".

Shrug. Just sayin'.

...and doing my part - having a little extra time here I've pushed up >1k photos over the past few days. And I too expect immediate index update. (+1 the suggestion to give notice re current delays)

Maybe this has broken whatever used to mostly work badly enough that whatever they're taking days to do will aggressively resolve whatever caused the lesser flakiness reported for recent months that wasn't bad enough to warrant busting index update for long enough to really fix.

Shrug. You sill readin'? Time to find something else to do for a while...

Happy 2011 to all.

view photos

Salíadarunavuelta says:

I do not agree, this bug has been rolling for months. I consider it a Flickr non documented feature. It's not seasonal.

view photos

cpt_comet PRO says:

This is really annoying! C'mon Flickr!

view photos

Coanri/Rita PRO says:

The tags are not working in my group The Monthly Scavenger Hunt! Members have to add the tags with each items. When I check them it says there is no tag!!! I know the tag is correct and added!! How long does it take Flickr to solve this problem ????

view photos

john irving - PRO says:

I don't know if the problem is for the Tags or anything else, i just know this is the 6th day of no showing !!!

view photos

egcc PRO says:

It seems like pot-luck whether some tags show ot not in searches. That may be down to which server (farm ?) hosts a particular image.

Also there seems to be a problem handling a dash (-) symbol within a tag ?

view photos

uwekulick PRO says:

Dear Flickr

please fix this!

soon!

view photos

Salíadarunavuelta says:

Bump

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2 3 4
(1 to 100 of 314 replies in [Acknowledged issue-should be fixed] tags added recently are not picked up by searches?)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads