Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

Hey there, Flickr Pro, nice to see you again!
Latest: 3 minutes ago
[Official Thread] New version of Flickr's embed code
Latest: 12 hours ago
Flickr/Yahoo login issues.
Latest: 32 hours ago

Current Discussion

***[STILL A BUG FOR SOME USERS]*** Album sharing incorrectly states safe content is restricted
Latest: 18 minutes ago
ipad
Latest: 28 minutes ago
iCloud has done it for years, why can’t Flickr (down-sync)
Latest: 34 minutes ago
Album View: 'Justified' view preference does not stick when going from page to page!
Latest: 37 minutes ago
Banner Problems - dark cast, cannot move image, sometimes highly magnified
Latest: 42 minutes ago
A troubles with flickr support
Latest: 48 minutes ago
Issue with sharing
Latest: 54 minutes ago
Problem getting image code in windows 10
Latest: 70 minutes ago
Flickr tour and moving photos from iPhone 5 to Flickr or to Laptop
Latest: 88 minutes ago
Flickr, please put an end to the mass spam-followers!
Latest: 2 hours ago
New Stats
[Official Thread] Updates on tags
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Topic] Signing up for Flickr with Google - Feedback (Kudos | Gripes)

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Howdy Flickrverse!

Starting today, you’ll be able to use a Google account to sign-up for a new Flickr account!

Read all about it in the blog post and these FAQs.

This topic is for your feedback about using a Google account (OpenID) to create a new Flickr account.

If you see problems or bugs with this feature, please instead post to the Official Bug topic.

Thanks!
Posted at 1:17PM, 28 October 2010 PDT ( permalink )
zyrcster (staff) edited this topic 58 months ago.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 125 replies in [Official Topic] Signing up for Flickr with Google - Feedback (Kudos | Gripes))
view photos

elkue says:

I'd like to be the first to say : AWESOME. It's nice to know that not everyone will have to suffer the indignity of having a yahoo account. (sorry if I misread what the new changes actually mean.. which I now think I did).

BTW, the blog post on this topic has link to the forums which doesn't actually go anywhere.

NEXT UP : The option to use GOOGLE MAPS instead of the miserable Yahoo Maps for photo mapping.
Posted 58 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

IrenicRhonda says:

Hate the new "people you may know" - but love this idea. So Gripes in the other thread, but kudos here

As I don't want to open yet another account it's difficult to check for bugs

view photos

Brenda Anderson PRO says:

Cris, any word on when/if existing accounts will be able to switch to an OpenID login?

view photos

Яick Harris PRO says:

just thought I'd pre-empt and summarize the anticipated complaints.

<sarcasm>
• Site is becoming google|facebook|youtube
• flickr didn't ask my permission to implement this update
• This update that you forced down my throat and caused me all sorts of personal issues breaks my greasemonkey scripts
• It causes some obscure, esoteric privacy issue
• It does not conform to my interpretation of usability (after all I've been designing sites like flickr, like forever)
• I'm taking my business to smugmug|ipernity|zooomr
• not really active on flickr since last update, but will come here to complain about new update (but won't be active on flickr until next update)
</sarcasm>

[edited to point out sarcasm tag]
Яick Harris edited this topic 58 months ago.

view photos

MabelAmber® ***Pluto5339*** Queen of Streetshots PRO says:

Good idea!

EDIT: referring to above above.

view photos

mike3k says:

I second the request to be able to switch existing accounts to Google login. I'd LOVE to be able to ditch my Yahoo account and use Google only.

Or at least be able to add a Google account to an existing Flickr account.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard PRO says:

any word on when/if existing accounts will be able to switch to an OpenID login?

We don't discuss features that aren't released to the public so I can't give a definitive yes or no, but we know it's a feature a lot of people would be interested in and are looking into it.

view photos

Megharah says:

FANTASTIC!!!

good riddance Yahoo mail!!!!
Megharah edited this topic 57 months ago.

view photos

@jevit3x says:

jipiieeh!

view photos

Mike Wood Photography says:

This is certainly a development I will follow. Though I do find it interesting that all the so called old school Flickr folks like myself who were forced to get Yahoo logins instead of what we had before - like my Gmail - will now go back to essentially to using them again at some point soon. :)

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard PRO says:

[post deleted and moved because it was for the thread on the other feature we launched this week.]
Zack Sheppard (staff) edited this topic 58 months ago.

view photos

Megharah says:

wrong thread darling?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard PRO says:

haha whoops!! Thx Shooting★Star :)

view photos

dopiaza PRO says:

That's two consecutive [Official Topic]s that I have to say "I like this" to.

view photos

lol-ita PRO says:

yes, wrong thread, but finally we get the right answer. Zack, I hope that flickr will rethink this decision. It's extremely important to those of us on the other thread to have this finer control. Thanks.

view photos

'ju:femaiz PRO says:

Good move team!

Will get my sister to try this out.

view photos

The Ewan PRO says:

I like it, it's good, but why lock it down to particular OpenID providers?

view photos

moved to ipernity.com/stargazer95050 says:

Something with the cookies seems to have screwed up the function on the photopage -- other areas don't seem to be affected.
Details in the other group : www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157625261778602/7215762...

view photos

photobakers says:

+1 for letting existing users migrate their login from yahoo to an OpenID (read: Google) account.

view photos

QuattroBerlin says:

I can´t upload - they hack into my desktop during the process...
Whenever we listen to a local radio station (Berlin, Germany), they can follow our logins, etc. - our privacy is gone.

view photos

Somehow I don't think that's related to this new feature?

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

I really like this idea.

Of course, until it works for existing accounts, I can't comment on how well it was implemented, or whether it even works.

But a really good idea. It was long-requested in the Flickr Ideas group.

I'm glad to (finally) see one of those good ideas be implemented.

(I'll be happy to test it out as soon as it works with existing accounts.)

view photos

Sean Molin Photography PRO says:

My biggest complaint about Flickr has always been the Yahoo part of it.

I don't like or use Yahoo for anything else, and I've always found the integration to be less than optimal... especially if multiple users use the same browser window, the are unnecessary steps involved in logging out and then logging in as another user.

So +1 for OpenID/Google for existing accounts.

view photos

ryanne { trimmed reality } PRO says:

agree with many above:
as a paying member since 2004, i was forced to use yahooa nd now not even an option to merge my google account? while non-paying new members can do so?

view photos

'ju:femaiz PRO says:

Sister achieved goal easily. Cheers.

view photos

theotherlinh PRO says:

FINALLY. However, as noted.... I've been paying for a while, why can't I switch to my google account log in as well? Or alternatively, get wordpress on board.

view photos

@assortex says:

is there a way that I can link my google account to my flickr?

view photos

タ"ニエルさん - Danielsan says:

Call me an idiot but I don't care, why when I sign in now it's opening up a new window then it goes to Flickr??? I don't particularly like it!!

@Sean Molin: Totally agree with you there!!!

God Bless... :-)

view photos

simdude2u says:

Will it link my panoramio account to flickr?

view photos

bάd pίxεl says:

at last! :D
i wanted this since i've joined flickr!
i'd love to transfer my flickr account to my google account though. i never use my yahoo one anyway.

view photos

seadawg_360 says:

the following was posted just now on the other thread where I thought it was the latest change....

...all these changes make Flickr so much more enjoyable each time a new one is sprung on us.... NOT!!!

view photos

kreep PRO says:

+1 for letting existing users migrate their login from yahoo to an Google account

view photos

Suprandr PRO says:

+1 for letting existing users migrate their login from yahoo to a Google account

view photos

Richard Holden says:

...all these changes make Flickr so much more enjoyable each time a new one is sprung on us.... NOT!!!

This comment makes even less sense here than it does in the other thread. Exactly how does people being able to sign up with their Google account make Flickr less enjoyable for you?

I think this is a great change. I've known people who I've failed to persuade to sign up for Flickr because they didn't want a Yahoo! account for whatever reason. So I reckon this lowers the barrier to entry considerably.

view photos

seadawg_360 says:

glad you enjoy the changes, keep enjoying....

view photos

♥ Ana's Place ♥ says:

This one i like it ♥ great!!!

view photos

myokyawhtun says:

I am using Flickr for BlackBerry.

[Yahoo ID]
[Password] ...

I can't login with Google account which I used for signup ... I couldn't use [flickr permanent ID] either ...

How do I login?

view photos

Daniel Kokott says:

very cool indeed!

view photos

evilnick PRO says:

Nice. about 4 years too late, but nice :)

view photos

timtak PRO says:

I would like to sign in with Youtube. Similar account. Alas google would not let me amalgamate my gmail account with my youtube account so I have two gmails, one of which i never use. I would like to stay logged into my old gmail, flickr and youtube.

And this might help to drive a rift between Youtube and Google while bringing the former over to flicrk (yahoo).

There are already quite a few google-caused problems over at Yahoo, I believe, such as the way that langauges refuse to stick on the YouTube sight due to the way that Google insists on using Ip address based location to tamper with the language setting.

view photos

emaildelmax says:

I'd love to use my Google Account to sign-in into Flickr. I hope this feature will be available soon even for non-new flicker accounts like mine. At least for the Flickr-pro subscribers.

view photos

Arthur78 says:

Good move for Flickr.

One of my biggest gripes with Flickr is the "closedness" of it, which makes sharing my photos with non Flickr users a nuisance: Having to explain that they need a Yahoo account/Flickr username, then giving them detailed instructions on how to edit their settings to view Restricted content. Which often ends up with them losing interest.

view photos

alecstylephotography.com says:

I hate the new drop down log-in for Flickr.

1Password doesn't recognize it so I have to manually type in my user name and password.

Prefer the old log-in.

view photos

phlewte says:

what's so bad about this change? seriously? sure, maybe the implementation needs a few tweaks yet, but how is making it easier for more people to join flickr a bad thing?

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

Oh hey - thanks for changing the login behaviour! LOVE not losing my place when I log in.

view photos

jeffs4653 PRO says:

Now integrate Google Maps instead of the pathetic ones you use now, and THAT will be something to cheer about.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

I almost *never* sign out, but I was happy to see this morning that when I sign in, I'm taken to the page I was most recently viewing. This is a greatly improved behavior.

(Also, the popup login box loads much more quickly than the previous login page.)

Kudos for that. :-)

view photos

Flickr Staff

protohiro PRO says:

- I use 1password, seems to work just fine for me? You can also right click and get to the 1password menu as well.

view photos

Tar.Digital says:

Got a bug trying to submit my google account. The only message I get is this:

Sorry, there was an error. Please sign in again with the same account or a different one.

view photos

johmily says:

Yeah this feature is somewhat useless to those of us who are already heavy users. You guys had us switch accounts from flickr to yahoo, I know you can get it set up for existing users to move to their google logins.

view photos

Tiril & Kevin PRO says:

[edit: moved to bug post]

view photos

Sorbus sapiens PRO says:

Definitely an interesting first step - like others, I look forward to future developments of this, including ability to link an OpenID to an existing flickr account, and a move to a proper OpenID login box rather than the hard-coded Google link.

Then I'll be able to log in by typing in my personal website URL, "delegated" to a stand-alone OpenID site (neither Google nor Yahoo! IDs can be properly delegated to, unfortunately).

view photos

JarekCichy says:

Today, every time I open my Flickr page a "Sign in with your Google account" message pops up. Well, I don't have Goggle account and I don't want to have it. I was already forced to open a Yahoo account. I understand this new feature is helpful to many, it is useless for me.
Is there a way to disable this message ?

view photos

Andreas. PRO says:

Good feature but quite useless for the millions of flickr users already there. I would like to see if we can megre our existing flickr account to the google account, maybe even associate 2 ids, the old yahoo id and the openID to the account so you can choose, which one you want to use for login. It would make things a lot more easier.

view photos

jenniferbeinhacker.com PRO says:

i read the faq and the postings here.
i am a tad confused...do i have to make the switch or can i leave my sign in with yahoo for my flickr as is??

view photos

The Ewan PRO says:

You don't have to change anything, and indeed, at the moment it's not possible to switch your existing login to a Google account even if you wanted to; this is just for new sign-ups.

Short version - your existing account will carry on working as it is now.

view photos

Μαρκ Παπαγιάννη PRO says:

When I try to sign up with a Google account I get this message (after entering google id, password and selecting a valid screen name) Sorry, there was an error. Please sign in again with the same account or a different one. Tried with various browsers - get same message.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

I don't see any cause for complaint. Seems like a feature for new members who want to use Yahoo services without signing up for a yahoo account and would rather use google.

I assume they still have to agree to the yahoo Terms

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Hi maxander2000,

For problems with this feature, please do see the Official bug topic here:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157625261778602/

Meanwhile, I'll contact you via email for some additional info to resolve your problem. Thanks!

view photos

free.options100 says:

It is good thing that it is now available also in Gmail.

view photos

The Shane H says:

+1 for letting existing users migrate their login from yahoo to a Google account

view photos

apexviews says:

It seems to work ok in firefox and remember my login but not in IE or on my Mac under Safari

view photos

kitby PRO says:

+1 for being able to associate a Google account with my existing Flickr account, instead of the current Yahoo! account (which I don't otherwise use). I've got enough online accounts as it is.

view photos

kitby PRO says:

It's excellent that signing into Flickr keeps you on the page you were viewing.

However, I'm not a fan of the login window appearing in a popup window. I still associate popup windows with annoying advertisements and help text—neither of which is similar to a login prompt.

view photos

Wil C. Fry PRO says:

"However, I'm not a fan of the login window appearing in a popup window"

This reminds me... Several sites where I log in actually use a type of popup that's not actually a popup. Not being a programmer, I'm not sure of the proper term, but it's a layer on top of the page I'm viewing (similar to when you click on the map module on a photopage and it overlays the page).

Something like that actually would be more perfect-looking for Flickr: 1) Click sign in, 2) sign in layer appears in my same window, 3) I sign in, 4) layer disappears, but page remains the same.

view photos

phoneymanflickr says:

God I hate that popup login window. Popups suck, have always sucked, and will continue to suck for as long as there are windows.

Pierre

view photos

kitby PRO says:

Wil C. Fry said:

Something like that actually would be more perfect-looking for Flickr: 1) Click sign in, 2) sign in layer appears in my same window, 3) I sign in, 4) layer disappears, but page remains the same.
The advantage of using a separate page for the login prompt is that it's more likely to be obvious (equivalently: easier to check) that everything is using HTTPS.

(EDIT: This point would be rendered moot if all of Flickr always used HTTPS.)
kitby edited this topic 58 months ago.

view photos

How does using a Google ID for an account impact on any country-specific Safe search restrictions? Does it mean that the safesearch restrictions won't be applied because there is no Yahoo ID?
Posted 57 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Hi Brenda,

Yes, accounts that sign up with Google IDs are subject to the same country specific Safe Search restrictions as those that signed up with Yahoo IDs.

view photos

When you have time, can you please update this FAQ?
www.flickr.com/help/filters/#249
Note: If your Yahoo! ID is based in Singapore, Hong Kong, India, Korea or with Maktoob.com you will only be able to view safe content based on your local Terms of Service (this means you won’t be able to turn SafeSearch off). If your Yahoo! ID is based in Germany you are not able to view restricted content due to your local Terms of Service.

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Thanks, Brenda!

view photos

tindeoopa PRO says:

+1 for changing/transferring/switching between Yahoo! and Google login, and vise versa, while still accessing the same Flickr account.

view photos

the.other.other.linh says:

thank you for doing this. and I away the day I can migrate my yahoo login to my google account.

view photos

solarbikedz says:

would flickr allow people with google login linking to facebook anytime soon?

view photos

6thdeluna says:

Was wondering the same thing as solarbikedz, as to whether the sharing/extending options for Facebook will be introduced for gmail login accounts, or whether it will be possible to associate two emails (both yahoo and gmail) to a single Flickr account, and allow for Facebook connection that way.

view photos

aparmley PRO says:

I personally would like to ditch my yahoo account credentials in favor of using my google account. Can we make this happen?

view photos

conditionals says:

Eagerly awaiting the ability to migrate my flickr account to my google/OpenID account. That would be amazing!
Posted 56 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

javYliz says:

please please please add the possibility to move from yahoo to google? please?
+1!

view photos

joe.barnett says:

+1 please let us associate a Google Account with our existing Flickr account. We can already switch Flickr accounts between Yahoo ID's, it would be great to be able to switch over to Google. OpenID and single sign on is a nice dream

view photos

Steef V says:

+1 for letting existing users migrate their login from yahoo to an Google account

view photos

Mark Essler says:

+1 for the migration to Google account for an existing Flickr account.......

view photos

goldenratio says:

+1

view photos

Opspin PRO says:

view photos

Miss Twilight PRO says:

view photos

Cuadros en Relieve says:

view photos

account moved says:

view photos

olivier-duval PRO says:

view photos

jeevs PRO says:

view photos

Keith Achorn says:

+1 for letting existing users migrate their login from yahoo to an Google account. And although I know this is terribly unlikely in the near future, it would be perfect if Flickr migrated over to Google Maps as well.

view photos

qbubbles says:

view photos

4dam! says:

I ONLY have a Yahoo account for Flickr so add me to the list of people who'dd like to be able to transfer their Flickr account to Google.

view photos

alfpang PRO says:

yes, google > yahoo. (but I don't mind being able to associate one w the other and keep both)

view photos

WildxBill says:

view photos

foto-joe PRO says:

Please let existing users link in with their Google account!

view photos

ccheviron says:

+1 for letting existing users change to using a google account.... come on guys!

view photos

Sprogz says:

Note to Flickr staff: LOOK how many posters here are PRO accounts. That is, fee paying Flickr members, who are asking the reasonable request to allow them to use their Google account instead of their Yahoo! account to login to Flickr.

Typically it seems users use Yahoo! solely to login to Flickr and nothing else. You simply can't force users to use Yahoo accounts in the hope they'll want to use the other Yahoo! service; the old adage "you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink" springs to mind.

I doubt these users would want to think their voice isn't being heard?

+1 for letting existing users (pro or otherwise) migrate their login from Yahoo to an Google account. Please.

view photos

lxwilson says:

+ Sprogz I dont use my yahoo account anymore due to spam mails and forcing me to abandon it. So I am using google which is working well for me at the moment. But this means I have to delete my Flickr account now and set up a new one just to store the same photos I had before on there.

Urgh :( I am not really going to do that. I will just delete my Flickr account and use facebook now. Tired of these cat and mouse games.

view photos

v.tus says:

view photos

n1cklawr3nc3 says:

I've just started using flickr, and signed in using my google id.

Now, I discover that if I want my flickr photos to go to my facebook, it needs to go through yahoo updates.

Is there a way of changing my sign in details for flickr so that I sign in using yahoo instead of google?

view photos

AlexCampagna says:

Switch account to Google sign in: Me Wants!
Posted 55 months ago. ( permalink )

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 125 replies in [Official Topic] Signing up for Flickr with Google - Feedback (Kudos | Gripes))
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads