Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 18 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 3 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

Cookie consent form frozen
Latest: 32 minutes ago
To staff: Re: submitting a report under contact button - original goes missing
Latest: 4 hours ago
Faves
Latest: 7 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent activity - Can we have it back? Please???
Latest: 8 hours ago
Flickr Support?
Latest: 9 hours ago
Favourite lists
Latest: 9 hours ago
What will happen to my photos if something goes wrong on the day of the renewed subscription
Latest: 11 hours ago
Pictures not showing up today?
Latest: 11 hours ago
Underscore of pronouns in Flickr Mail
Latest: 28 hours ago
[solved]How can I stop this spam?
Latest: 29 hours ago
My Group Disappeared
Latest: 29 hours ago
Please, help! I'm not receiving any email notification about activity on my account.
Latest: 33 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

connecting to l.yimg.com

mikonT says:

Having a difficult time loading Flickr pages. I noticed that every time Firefox displays "connecting to l.yimg.com," the page takes a real long time to load (maybe a minute or more and sometimes it never loads). This just started for me. I have not changed anything about the way I interact with Flickr.

The trouble is intermittent.

I have not be able to find anything in these forums that deal specifically with this problem...at least that I could understand. Lots of older posts (2007, 08, 09) but this new for me.

I'm using Firefox 3.6.8 on an iMac running Snow Leopard. I have tried 2 different browsers, Firefox and Safari, having the same issues in both.

Can anyone be of some assistance?

Thanks!
Posted at 8:27AM, 3 August 2010 PST ( permalink )

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

yimg.com is Yahoo!'s image server. Your browser will connect to it just about any time you're on a Yahoo!-owned site like Flickr...

EDIT: I'm not having any trouble connecting to it. Are there certain pages where this hangs up, or is it on all pages?
Posted ages ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Hi mikonT,

That is the server that provides the javascript needed to run things on the site.

Sometimes clearing the cache and rebooting your networking equipment (modems/routers) can clear up flakiness to that server.

It might also be worthwhile to see if there's any loss or latency between you and that server, so can you enter this at the terminal and let us know the output?

ping -c 10 l.yimg.com

view photos

mikonT says:

@ Wil-- Thanks. It is intermittent and it hangs on all pages.

@ zyrcster-- Thank you. I will try entering that line in Terminal and report back. I will try rebooting my modem and AirPort after that.

view photos

mikonT says:

The ping did not show any troubles (at least as far as I could see), but then again all of the Flickr pages are loading fine now. Here is the summary of the Terminal test:

--- fo-anyycs-l.ay1.b.yahoodns.net ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 13.733/15.719/20.764/2.175 ms

I didn't want to post the entire test as it had an IP address listed and I didn't know how secure it would be to post such a thing.

I will try it again when I'm having the problem, meantime I will reset my modem and Airport. Maybe it will fix the issue??

I will report back. Thanks for helping me trouble shoot this.

m

view photos

~Rid©ully~ says:

mikonT You should be fine posting the full pathping - and from that Zyrcster should be able to see if there's a problem there.

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Thanks, the info we need is in the part that mikonT posted. We really only need it for when there is a problem, and it sounds like this is cleared up for you now?

view photos

~Rid©ully~ says:

Sorry Cris, I'll shut up now ;o)

view photos

mikonT says:

Thanks, ~Rid©ully~ & Cris. I hope there wont be any more problems but if there are I'll post here. Chris, will you please leave this thread open for a few days? Thank you.

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Sure, we leave topics open for a few weeks regardless, so if it happens again, you know where to find us. :)

view photos

~Rid©ully~ says:

mikonT as the thread doesn't need to be redirected and isn't in breach of any rules it'll be kept open for about a month by default. No worries :o)

Edit - Cris beat me to it.

mikonT Could you come back and let us know what the problem was?

view photos

bcg~art says:

having the same problem off and on today ( sometimes just will not load at all....) , never usually happens, this is unusual...
I have no idea what all that test language means so can't help you there.

view photos

t does wool says:

same here...it just continues and I've done all of your tricks...what's up?

view photos

bcg~art says:

still achingly mind numbingly slow. No other websites I access are doing this.

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Hi folks,

We'll ask the operations team to look into this, thanks.

view photos

wmgemax says:

NOW WHEN YOU TRY TO GET HELP!!!!! THEY CUT YOU OFF!!!
Whats GOIN ON HERE!!! WE PRO ACCOUNTS PAY!!! FOR THIS

view photos

wmgemax says:

AND THERE ARE NO ANSWERS TO WHY SO MANY THINGS DON'T WORK ??? REALLY BAD :((((((((((((((((( what happened???

view photos

mikonT says:

@ Chris-- So weird. Had a few moments where the connection to l.yimg.com took forever. I tried to ping in Terminal as it was happening. I don't know whether I was successful. Here is the summery:
--------------
10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0.0% packet loss round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 13.020/17.632/47.598/10.026 ms
---------------

The first ping has a time of 47.598. That seems to be longer than the rest, which are in the teens.

Does that help at all?

Thanks!

view photos

bcg~art says:

oh yes - - l.yimg is the server for my yahoo email account, too. no problem there. just flickr....

view photos

katiegab715 says:

I am having the same problem. Last week I updated to firefox 3.6.8
and it runs really slow.

view photos

tremendous name says:

Same problem here. I think it's flickr's problem or Yahoo. It just did the same to me using FF 3.6.8 AND Explorer 8. It's intermittent. I asked admins about it in a flickr mail and they directed me to the FAQ about dumping your cache, scripts loaded wonky or firewall blocking it, stuff like that. So in my browser I stopped all browsing history keeping, allowed cookies, deleted Grease Monkey, no help. Then tried this, using a portable Firefox 3.6.8 with nothing added to it, no extensions, runs from my flash drive, and had the exact same problems, pages won't load intermittently. And like I said using Explorer 8 is the same way. Intermittently it won't load flickr only, no other website has the problem for me. In fact every web site other than flickr is extremely fast even when I run searches on them. This happens any time of the day, midnight or noon and only in the last week or two. I don't think it is the browser doing it at all. If you see the note below, the browser we use are the "optimized" choice, FF 3.6. They say Explorer 8 is not yet "optimized" for flickr if you run Windows 7 which is what I have. But FireFox ought to be fine. Sometimes Explorer 8 works fine for me when FireFox 3.6.8 acts horrible with Flickr.

Here's a copy of the flickr mail, most of it, from the admins. They said I could write them again. Havn't yet.

QUOTE TO END

Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting Flickr Customer Care.

For information in this subject, please see our FAQ at:

www.flickr.com/help/website/#171

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply to this
email.

Thank you again for contacting us.
Regards,

John
Flickr Customer Care

To ensure a better browsing experience, upgrade to Internet Explorer 8
or Firefox, both optimized for Yahoo!

Download optimized IE8: bit.ly/9K5r1D

Download optimize Firefox: bit.ly/dyQBE9

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

My pages often load with all formatting stripped and
everything remaining is lined up on the left side in a
column.

It happens maybe half the time and all the time the pages
take ages to load. Way more than normal.

I have links to screen shots included:

www.flickr.com/photos/beginasyouare/4847296490/

www.flickr.com/photos/beginasyouare/4847296488/

Mike

Flash: Flash V:10.1.53 D:Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53
Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US;
rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8
tremendous name edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

tremendous name says:

I just sent the support staff a second email about this. Will post here anything good I can pass on.

view photos

sketchySteven says:

Are y'all using any Greasemonkey scripts? I'm having similar issues and wondered if the problem could be related to some of the GM scripts I use....

Have you cleared cookies, too?

view photos

bryankennedy says:

I've noticed this problem on Flickr as well. It's pretty much breaks the new design functionality. Many things aren't click-able b/c the JS won't load. Boo, graceful degradation.

However, I am suspecting that the yimg.com domain is getting blocked by my institutional content filter. Obviously, this ain't flickr's fault, but given the material that's on flickr I bet I'm not the only person who's experiencing this problem.

To be clear, my content filter is only blocking yimg.com not flickr itself....I think.

view photos

Shari DeAngelo says:

I've been having problems connecting to Flickr for 2 days. Sometimes it loads without the sylesheet, other times it hangs for more than a minute before loading.

It's happening on my Mac, my PC, my iphone (on or off wifi) as well as from an office not on my home network. Firefox, Safari and Chrome are all having the same issue.

I can safely say that Greasemonkey is not the culprit.

view photos

mikonT says:

My feeling is that your browser, plug-ins, add-ons, etc. are all fine. Clearing the cash or cookies won't help this at all. Earlier in this thread zyrcster indicated they were going to alert the operations team. I'm hanging out until I hear something. It should be posted here.

Meantime the problem, however annoying (and we all know how aggravating it is), is intermittent. It happens to be fine now.

I think Flickr knows they have an issue to fix, and I think they will get on it soon. Prove me right Flickr Folks!

view photos

tremendous name says:

It's Yahoo

I just went to this yahoo page
"Best Practices for Speeding Up Your Web Site"
developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html
Same problem.
Guess they didn't read their own web page.
tremendous name edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

mikonT says:

Just happened again. I ran this Terminal ping as it was happening:
-------------
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 13.456/15.705/20.186/2.167 ms
-------------

Hope it will help.

view photos

mikonT says:

Now it's getting really bad. So much so that I will have to stop using Flickr for now and walk away. That's frustrating!

Here is the ping info:
------------------
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 13.867/15.725/17.371/1.067 ms
-------------------

view photos

beqi says:

According to Rod Harris on Mac Forums, "it's not a security issue, it's a content filtering issue." Something called CFS appears to be a bottleneck for data packet interrogation vis-a-vis the header of HTML files. Yahoo seems to be less rigorous about this convention than others, hence the raft of problems people are reporting.

I have very little idea what it all means, though, except that I've been having all the same problems with files served from l.yimg.com (Mail, Flickr, Answers, Groups, etc. etc,), to the point where in FF or Safari I'll open a new window and read another website while waiting for Yahoo to load up.

view photos

mikonT says:

@ beqi-- Thanks, that what I normally do until a little while ago. I would do something else while I was waiting for the page to load, but it was happening every time I went back. I needed to have a continuous, uninterrupted flow of visuals for the piece I was working on. The energy was disrupted, so I walked away.

Let's hope it gets fixed soon!!
mikonT edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Shari DeAngelo says:

I hope it does too. I have become quite dependent on Flickr for information in groups I belong. Sadly, it's become unusable for me 80% of the time the past several days.

(Just wanted to say Hi Michael... It's been awhile! I'll be in your neck of the woods Sat for a wedding...)

view photos

r0sss says:

All Yahoo sites have been slow loading for me for about the past week. Anything Yahoo owns is slow: Flickr, Delicious.com, fantasy sports, etc, etc. Pretty annoying.

I haven't been able to find too much other info about it but found this thread googling a little.

Every other site I go to loads fast and normal.

Must be something going on with yahoo's servers.

view photos

mikonT says:

Indeed r0sss but do you think it will get fixed? Or maybe I should say WHEN do you think it will be fixed? It just took a Flickr page 1:48 to load!

view photos

Muffet says:

I came here wondering what the heck l.yimg.com was, because I too have noticed exceptionally long connection times. I have no greasemonkey scripts on this computer--a Mac--but I don't always get the dreaded "connecting to l.ying.com" message. However, I cannot get to certain members' photostreams; I couldn't access HELP by clicking on the HELP link; and in general this is making me very grumpy, because flickr is almost unusable at times. Other times it works just fine. This happens whenever they have major changes, but still....>grumpgrumpgrump<

view photos

bcgaden says:

I am having the exact same problem on a brand new out of the box mac book pro. www.yahoo.com will never fully load on any browser (Chrome, Firefox, or Safari) There were no add-ins installed on any of the browsers. In fact there are no other programs even installed yet.

All PC's in the house have no problems connecting to that page.

I have no problems connecting to other "sub" pages at yahoo. Like finance.yahoo.com, etc. It's only the main Yahoo page that refuses to load.

My only luck has been with Firefox and, like others, it will sometimes load after 2-3 mins and when it does it's missing the CSS style sheet and is unformatted. (along with the long pause on l.yimg.com)

view photos

The Other Other Plan says:

same here - i only have the problem with flickr, all other sites load fine

view photos

The Other Other Plan says:

plus - the problem happens for me with firefox, IE, Opera, Safari and Chrome

view photos

'ju:femaiz says:

@: if the problem is happening on all browsers, can you confirm that all computers connected to the same router/modem are suffering the same.

could you please provide the following:
- Connection details (I've read, both here and elsewhere, of a number of issues due to either firewall rules or connection types posing an issue). Also, seeing as though you have chrome, can you do the following:
- open chrome
- View -> Developer -> Javascript Console
- Enable Resource Tracking for this session only
- Load a flickr photo page

This will enable you to see the time loading of the page. You'll also be able to get access to the Console to show potential errors.

view photos

mikonT says:

I just wrote to Yahoo. I will post anything I find out.

view photos

sketchySteven says:

bump

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Hi there,

Please do refrain from bumping Forum topics unless there is new information to add.

If we have any updates, we'll be sure to post them here, thanks.

view photos

mikonT says:

Nothing from Yahoo yet (I really don't think there is going to be either). My feeling is they know there is a problem and are working to get it fixed, but there is nothing to report. The post above me seems to indicate that (at least I hope it does).

It would be nice, at least, if we could get some sort of confirmation that Yahoo is aware of the issue, don't you think? Are they aware they have had server problems??

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

I don't think it can be a server issue, or it would affect everybody. As far as I can see, every page access on Flickr references something on l.yimg.com. So my guess is some connectivity type problem. I've not had any problems getting through, but your path to the box will be different to mine:
Tracing route to fo-anyycs-l.ay1.b.yahoodns.net [77.238.187.39]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 3 ms 1 ms 1 ms www.routerlogin.com [192.168.0.1]
2 28 ms 28 ms 28 ms dr2.bllon.isp.sky.com [89.200.128.28]
3 28 ms 28 ms 27 ms vl192.ar8.bllon.isp.sky.com [89.200.133.96]
4 28 ms 36 ms 29 ms ge-1-1-0.pat1.the.yahoo.com [195.66.224.129]
5 29 ms 28 ms 29 ms te-8-1.bas-a1.uls.yahoo.com [66.196.65.5]
6 30 ms 32 ms 31 ms l1.ycs.vip.uls.yahoo.com [77.238.187.39]

view photos

IrenicRhonda says:

mikonT wrote

Nothing from Yahoo yet
I don't know what the expected response time from Yahoo would be. You said that you had written 22 hours ago. Flickr's expected response time is 3-5 working days so perhaps Yahoo's is similar and you need to wait a bit more?

view photos

mikonT says:

Perhaps. I would be much more patient if I KNEW Yahoo was aware of the problem and were working on it. I don't know that for sure. Do you know if they are?

view photos

mikonT says:

I don't know how to interpret the data you posted. I heard that there are a few other sites that are effected which rely on Yahoo servers. Please refer to the last post in this thread: www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157624671597304/

The issue may not be global but it is certainly effecting the Northeast U.S.

view photos

IrenicRhonda says:

I know nothing. It was just a suggestion that perhaps Yahoo's response time is similar to Flickr's. I just doubt there would be no response. A nonsense with no useful information Cut and Paste response - yes. But not no response at all

And I know it doesn't help address your issues at all but Flickr is zipping along for me faster than before the photopage upgrade. FF3.6.8 but in the UK (as is Patrick)

view photos

mikonT says:

I am pleased you & Patrick are not effected, but I can't help but wonder how patient you would be if you were where I am. Normally I am a very patient person...when I am sure there is action being taken.

As far as the Flickr response time..., sorry that's not good enough. I can't do anything about it, all I can do is say, it's not good enough for me. Life happens faster than that. 3 to 5 days is a joke.

Just a general rant. Please don't interpret it as being directed at you. :-) I'm really a positive person...impatient at times, but positive.

view photos

@: given your problem, can I get you to humour me. Can you tell me if this loads:

l.yimg.com/g/combo.gne?event/event-min.js&j/query-str...;

Also, could you tell us if any errors are being reported (Tools => Error console). Perhaps we can do some assisting given that a few of us have found some issues with connectivity between the browser and flickr before.

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

I was just showing my path to l.yimg.com. You can do a "tracert l.yimg.com" and see how similar/dissimilar your path is. It doesn't help except to demonstrate that the two of us are accessing the same server via different networks. I have no issues and you do. I'm not posting that to be smug, just to point out it is more likely a network issue than a server issue.

view photos

mikonT says:

It loads, but all I get is code (or something to that effect, I'm not a tech). The issue is, however, intermittent.

I get it. I will do as you suggest at the time of the problem and compare the results to yours. Thanks.

view photos

mikonT says:

Part 2 of your comment:

In looking at errors are being reported (Tools => Error console) which BTW I have never done, I have tons of errors beginning with "http://l.yimg.com..."
"Declaration dropped"
"Expected declaration but found '*'. Skipped to next declaration".

With that window open I am seeing errors with almost every keystroke!

I have no clue what it all means.
Thanks for trying to help.
mikonT edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

mikonT says:

I just tried your suggestion, because it hung again on "l.yimg.com". I am keying "tracert l.yimg.com" into Terminal but getting nothing. I am probably not putting the correct command in.

view photos

NSHabsfan4life says:

on a mac you need to use traceroute not tracert. Ive used traceroute -D -I and traceroute -I and found different delays at different segments. traceroute -I is easier to read and more like windows tracert

view photos

mikonT says:

Thanks for the help! I'll give it a shot. BTW I live in Flyerville...still want to help???? :-)

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Hey there folks,

Thanks for all the info and I'm sorry this is still an issue.

We are looking into the issue, so thanks for your patience.

mikonT, if at the terminal you could please enter the following,

nslookup l.yimg.com

Please also post the output here, that can help us determine if you're being sent to the closest YCS server (this is the server that provides the javascript and CSS for Flickr).

The traceroute is fine, too.

traceroute -I l.yimg.com

view photos

NSHabsfan4life says:

as an update i switched to trying the google chrome browser ( 5.0.375.125 ) / Mac os 10.6.4 and have no issues with latency whatsoever.

Browsers giving me grief were Firefox 3.6.8 and safari 5.0.1

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Thanks, Habsfan4life,

Actually, that does bring up a point about Firefox and their profiles. Sometimes a FF profile gets corrupted and needs to be rebuild. Info on that is here:
support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Basic+Troubleshooting#Make_a...

You could also just log into your computer as another account and set up a profile from scratch just to test if that makes browsing Flickr any speedier.

I realize that some are reporting trouble with l.yimg.com in Chrome, Safari, and IE also, but for those using Firefox, we would be interested to know if creating a new profile makes things work better.

view photos

mikonT says:

Again, it is intermittent, so keep an eye on it. Personally I have not tried Chrome but I know of some who did and eventually had the same issue.

I tried the traceroute command when the problem was NOT occurring (just to see what "traceroute" would yield). What came up as a location for most of the trace was a location real close to me, (I'm near Philly), but for a few there was a location listed that was down in Virginia.

I will continue to use Terminal and the traceroute command, and post the results here. Next time it will be during the hang.

view photos

mikonT says:

Okay it just hung and I was able to do a trace in Terminal.
Here's what came up:

1 10.0.1.1 (10.0.1.1) 0.592 ms 0.308 ms 0.268 ms
2 c-76-98-60-1.hsd1.pa.comcast.net (76.98.60.1) 8.202 ms 9.031 ms 9.168 ms
3 te-1-2-ur02.norristown.pa.panjde.comcast.net (68.86.193.61) 7.087 ms 8.743 ms 7.226 ms
4 68.85.158.33 (68.85.158.33) 9.667 ms 7.272 ms 7.014 ms
5 po-21-ar01.wallingford.pa.panjde.comcast.net (68.86.209.97) 8.133 ms 9.078 ms 9.430 ms
6 be-60-crs01.401nbroadst.pa.panjde.comcast.net (68.86.208.29) 12.537 ms 10.340 ms 11.967 ms
7 pos-0-0-0-0-cr01.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.90.9) 14.870 ms 14.199 ms 14.459 ms
8 pos-0-3-0-0-pe01.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net (68.86.86.142) 15.164 ms 13.820 ms 14.394 ms
9 as6453-pe01.ashburn.va.ibone.comcast.net (75.149.229.182) 14.226 ms * 16.241 ms
10 if-13-0-0-22.core3.aeq-ashburn.as6453.net (216.6.51.1) 14.583 ms
if-2-0-0-457.core3.aeq-ashburn.as6453.net (209.58.27.129) 13.200 ms
if-11-0-0-1669.core4.aeq-ashburn.as6453.net (216.6.42.109) 15.658 ms
11 64.86.85.38 (64.86.85.38) 13.597 ms 14.504 ms 14.351 ms
12 ae-6.pat1.dce.yahoo.com (216.115.102.172) 14.992 ms 16.370 ms 37.340 ms
13 te-8-1.bas1-1-edg.a4e.yahoo.com (216.115.96.92) 21.693 ms
te-9-4.bas2-1-edg.a4e.yahoo.com (216.115.96.16) 15.757 ms
te-9-4.bas1-1-edg.a4e.yahoo.com (216.115.96.102) 17.011 ms
14 * * *

I think the Ashburn, VA location could be suspect. I'll keep trying.

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Hey there, mikonT ,

Can you also do an nslookup to l.yimg.com? That can provide us the extra info we need.

nslookup l.yimg.com

host l.yimg.com will also work.

:)

view photos

mikonT says:

Sure will. When it hangs again. (which shouldn't be too long).

view photos

mikonT says:

Okay, here is what Terminal returned during a hang:

l.yimg.com canonical name = geoycs-l.gy1.b.yahoodns.net.
geoycs-l.gy1.b.yahoodns.net canonical name = fo-anyycs-l.ay1.b.yahoodns.net.
Name: fo-anyycs-l.ay1.b.yahoodns.net
Address: 98.137.80.49
Address: 98.137.80.32
Address: 98.137.80.34
Address: 98.137.80.50
Address: 98.137.80.33
Address: 98.137.80.31

Was this the additional data you were looking for?

view photos

mikonT says:

Here is another. It is hanging quite a bit now.

l.yimg.com canonical name = geoycs-l.gy1.b.yahoodns.net.
geoycs-l.gy1.b.yahoodns.net canonical name = fo-anyycs-l.ay1.b.yahoodns.net.
Address: 98.137.80.34
Address: 98.137.80.33
Address: 98.137.80.49
Address: 98.137.80.50
Address: 98.137.80.32
Address: 98.137.80.31

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Thanks!

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

One last thing, since you didn't include the full output of the ping command above, can you please just run

ping -c 10 l.yimg.com

but this time copy the full output, please, especially the beginning bit where it translates the name to the IP?

Thanks

view photos

mikonT says:

Got it.

Do I actually need to wait for it to hang or can I run the command anytime?

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Please run the command at any time. :)

view photos

mikonT says:

Here you go.

PING fo-anyycs-l.ay1.b.yahoodns.net (98.137.80.49): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 98.137.80.49: icmp_seq=0 ttl=53 time=14.221 ms
64 bytes from 98.137.80.49: icmp_seq=1 ttl=53 time=14.766 ms
64 bytes from 98.137.80.49: icmp_seq=2 ttl=53 time=13.796 ms
64 bytes from 98.137.80.49: icmp_seq=3 ttl=53 time=13.898 ms
64 bytes from 98.137.80.49: icmp_seq=4 ttl=53 time=16.361 ms
64 bytes from 98.137.80.49: icmp_seq=5 ttl=53 time=13.076 ms
64 bytes from 98.137.80.49: icmp_seq=6 ttl=53 time=14.600 ms
64 bytes from 98.137.80.49: icmp_seq=7 ttl=53 time=14.716 ms
64 bytes from 98.137.80.49: icmp_seq=8 ttl=53 time=15.146 ms
64 bytes from 98.137.80.49: icmp_seq=9 ttl=53 time=32.756 ms

round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 13.076/16.334/32.756/5.537 ms

view photos

Flickr Staff

eMiLy @_@ says:

Hi there,

Thank you for the info. We are able to narrow down the root cause of this problem and our engineer is looking into it.

view photos

My Baby Mia says:

If can help you:
Safary 4.0.5 FF2.0.2 works faster and better.
New FF as browser, it can't move, scroll, comments, need few minutes to open...

To be honest I didn't understand most of your discussion here.
My error console for java script show ok
only warnings for
1.yimg.com on FFbrowser

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

Emily - any clue how many people are affected by whatever issue you've identified? Could it be contributing to the number of complaints about slow page loads?
Patrick Costello edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

@: does this load ok:
l.yimg.com/g/combo.gne?event/event-min.js&j/query-str...;

Also FF2.0 has a number of "interesting" css implementations that are not standard. When viewing i did notice a fair bit of breakage.

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Hi Patrick,

It may be a contributing cause, certainly, since l.yimg.com hands out our javascript and CSS files. l.yimg.com is actually in a number of locations, and we're looking at a particular farm on the US east coast at this time.

However, there may be some issues with the length of the URLs in the javascript we use and some firewalls that members might be using, so for those whom the photo page seems slower, we're looking at a multi-pronged investimagation.

As we have updates, we'll be sure to post them. :)

view photos

mikonT says:

Great! I'll keep an eye on this thread. Thank you to the Flickr Staff for looking into this.

view photos

Shari DeAngelo says:

Hey just an FYI-- and this could be an isolated instance, but I'm loading the CSS just fine now.... It's the images that seem to be missing now. All image content is missing and has been for the better part of the day.

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

No images are stored on l.yimg.com

view photos

Shari DeAngelo says:

Data from us.bc.yahoo.com is what is not loading on my end.

[edited to add that it seems that farm2.static.flickr.com is not transferring data on my end]
Shari DeAngelo edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

eMiLy @_@ says:

Hi Shari,

Can you try these suggestions:

www.flickr.com/help/website/#171

view photos

mikonT says:

It's been 2 days and issue with l.yimg.com has not occurred. Of course I'm jinxing it now with this post but Flickr is running smooth. Hopefully it will continue. Thank you Flickr Staff, and all of those who have tried to help with the issue.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads