Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Update on the new photo experience
Latest: 37 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Search improvements
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Official Thread] Using a Yahoo username and password to sign in to Flickr
Latest: 5 hours ago
[Official Topic] New m.flickr.com Photo page
Latest: 10 hours ago
[Official Thread] Using Flickr over a secure (SSL) connection
Latest: 21 hours ago
[Official Thread] Take a survey to help us improve Flickr groups
Latest: 24 hours ago
[Official Thread] Update to creative commons attribution on the new photo page
Latest: 5 days ago

Current Discussion

Not able to download my videos!
Latest: 3 minutes ago
Group Pool
Latest: 9 minutes ago
Can't access one of my Flickr accounts
Latest: 35 minutes ago
[confirmed bug] no way to report SPAM comments on my OWN photos (no "Report Abuse" in the "..." menu)
Latest: 46 minutes ago
i keep getting this photo has timed out when i try and load it?
Latest: 48 minutes ago
Missing about 3000++ images (had almost 7000...now below 4000!!)
Latest: 2 hours ago
[BUG] Normal words/numbers in photo description become unwanted links
Download video
[ Uploadr acknowledged ] Bugs? Uploader and Forum
Flickr account deactivated
Please help me upload my video to Flickr!
Latest: 4 hours ago
Stupid Buddy Icon
Latest: 4 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Topic] Video on Flickr -- Feedback

Flickr Staff

heather says:

If you were wondering when "soon" was, it's now. You can read the announcement in FlickrBlog.

Our pro members can upload video of up to 90 seconds into their photostream. If you've feedback, this topic's for you (if you need help, head over to this topic).

The video FAQs are a great place to start for more info.

April 10th, 2:25 PDT: Please see our response to frequent feedback in this topic.

April 12th, 2:42 PDT: More staff comment here.

April 14th, 3ish PDT: And more here.

April 17th, 12:04 PDT: And here.

April 18th, 8:20 PDT: And.
Posted at 6:02PM, 8 April 2008 PDT ( permalink )
Eric (staff) edited this topic 73 months ago.

1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 48 49
(801 to 900 of 4,905 replies in [Official Topic] Video on Flickr -- Feedback)
view photos

Orbmiser says:

what's wrong with threads?

Ever try and get all your posts in threads? Can't be done you get a smattering of posts. And zero recent. Just did a search in groups on my name and most recent was March 31st. How is that helpful to me.
Posted 73 months ago. ( permalink )
Orbmiser edited this topic 73 months ago.

view photos

sterestherster says:

@eyexist: what about photo.net?

view photos

taubinphoto says:

500+ signatures saying photographers don't want this.... 6 pages and going... I know it may be a minority of total users but, hopefully Flickr will take note....

www.flickr.com/groups/675051@N25/discuss/7215760445350390...

view photos

Greg Easton Photography says:

I found a nice one that was a pay site that came out to about $4 a month. I have the link at home and I'm at work though.

For now, JPG.com is a good place for real photographers to showcase their stuff. Not ideal and not like Flickr, but then in a few months Flickr won't be like Flickr either.

view photos

CrackedButter says:

Webshots is not another!

But there is also www.Lightstalkers.org
CrackedButter edited this topic 73 months ago.

view photos

andyscamera says:

If I want to watch videos of someone's cat/baby/Jackass reenactments, I'll go to youtube

Sorry to point this out, but there are over 9000 photos of cats dancing on flickr right now: flickr.com/search/?q=cats dancing&w=all. I've never looked at them, and I won't look at videos of cats dancing when they're uploaded. There probably will be a large percentage of boring or stupid videos, just as there is a large percentage of boring photos on flickr, and I still won't look at any of them.

Perhaps I'm alone in this, but I look at my contacts' streams because they're good photographers, and I like looking at what they create. I think it unlikely that any of them are going to suddenly start uploading an unending series of cat or skateboarder-breaking-their-leg videos. If they start posting stuff I don't like, whether photos or videos, I'll take them off my contact list, just as I always have.

view photos

Looks good, thanks.

view photos

ColleenM says:

Join Webshots

Comment, bookmark and upload photos and videos for FREE! Sign up today!.

view photos

majomo-photography says:

www.flickr.com/groups/flickr-forum/discuss/72157604449966...

we are here too. saying no to the whole thing.

view photos

Ugh.

Where have all the photographer sites gone?

view photos

zyrcster says:

andyscamera Perhaps I'm alone in this, but I look at my contacts' streams because they're good photographers, and I like looking at what they create. I think it unlikely that any of them are going to suddenly start uploading an unending series of cat or skateboarder-breaking-their-leg videos. If they start posting stuff I don't like, whether photos or videos, I'll take them off my contact list, just as I always have.

You're not alone, and your argument is why I simply don't get the hysteria.

If you start seeing groups or your contacts overrun with stupid videos that you don't want to see, you can quit the group or drop someone as a contact.

As you say, just as you always have.

It's just another content type, after all.

view photos

< brian > says:

please take videos off of flickr

start another site for videos only

this will be the ultimate demise of flickr

flickr was for photographers, now we'll be looking at
videos of kids birthday partys, pets doing oh so cute things, and a bunch of morons crushing beer cans on their heads.

[sarcasm]oh ya.. thats what I paid for [/sarcasm]

view photos

laura.bell says:

Say it ain't so !

What's next - music downloads ? e-books ?

Flickr isn't Amazon, and we're all grateful for that. Why on earth do they think they need to be a one-stop shop ?

Please - move the video to a sister site, where folks who want video can view video !

view photos

Just a thought for Flickr staff to ponder.

Starbucks recently STOPPED selling all that extraneous food because the quality of the COFFEE (the reason people go to Starbucks in the first place) began to suffer.

view photos

ColleenM says:

..brian "now we'll be looking at
videos of kids birthday partys, pets doing oh so cute things, and a bunch of morons crushing beer cans on their heads."

Well, we already have still shots of those things, and Flickr hasn't been destroyed.

view photos

striatic says:

'Where have all the photographer sites gone?'

i think most realized that a lot of people have video capable cameras, and that alienating these people doesn't make sense unless you're looking to create an SLRs only club.

view photos

Jef Poskanzer says:

I don't care if there's video on flickr, I just don't want to see it. I see a lot of people in this topic expressing the same feeling, and asking for an upgrade to the content filter settings. And so far Heather has not acknowleged this request. In fact I think she has actually been weaseling around the request, saying things like 'you can filter out videos using advanced search'. Pah.

I and others like me want to NOT SEE VIDEO, ANYWHERE. Not in group pools, not in 'comments you've made', not in 'from your friends', not in explore, and not in search. The people who are into video are welcome to it. Please don't force it on the rest of us. Upgrade content filters NOW.

view photos

illinichick357 says:

zyrcster Waking up to a few invites to "no video" Flickr groups has soured me against my anti-video contacts, as I am sure my video uploads have soured them against having me as a contact.

I am not happy about video on Flickr. But I'm not joining any lynch mob no video groups. And while I want the option to not have to see it on my contacts photos/video, I will still probably visit my contacts videos every once in a while. I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt for now and keep hopes that it will somehow enhance my experience and allow me and my contacts new ways to share what is going on in our lives. Just be ready for lots of videos of "the Kid" when I finally decide to post more than the one I already have. ;-) Oh and I'm not going to go and drop my contacts just because they upload videos. I made them contacts because I liked their photos and I enjoyed their conversation, if they upload video isn't going to change that I like them.

I would like however, for staff to answer the question that has been asked multiple times...is the team going to be looking into adding filtering features for video?
illinichick357 edited this topic 73 months ago.

view photos

_[deleted]_ says:

"all this, so you don't have to look at a few thumbnails with triangles on them."

No. All this so I don't have to look at a few thumbnails with boobs, penises, or Sharpie art, OR triangles in them. Allow users to decide which of these to filter out, and I'm cool.

view photos

ColleenM says:

Greg the Bunny Hates Flickr Video!

And they started selling cheap ordinary coffee, because limiting themselves to coffee aficianados was losing business for them.

view photos

Not only don't I want to SEE it, I don't want my annual fee to go towards supporting it, fixing it, streamlining it, etc... Especially when there are still so many OTHER parts of Flickr that still aren't great.

view photos

striatic says:

'All this so I don't have to look at a few thumbnails with boobs, penises, or Sharpie art, OR triangles in them'

photo thumbnails also have boobs, penises and sharpie art.

view photos

tavopp says:

Update
The "we say No to videos on flickr"
just reached 5000 members

view photos

Brock says:

I can see how people want a totally video free experience - but I also see how some of these people may come around if they find that it doesn't go quite as 'youtube' as they suspect. Removing the entire experience will mean they never realise how good it could be.

Regardless, I'd like to see a definitive staff post somewhere saying something along the lines of "We didn't do all this work to turn it off in a few days if you complain enough. We're sorry you don't like it, but it's here to stay. How about you give it a chance". All these petitions seem a bit silly to me. It's not as if Flickr have taken this decision lightly, or didn't know that some wouldn't like it.

view photos

CrackedButter says:

@striatic, I have a video capable camera and mobilephone but I don't post my captures here as do many other people. Why don't you realise you're in the vocal minority here and stop trying to convince us otherwise that this is acceptable when it isn't.

view photos

majomo-photography says:

the team answer precious few questions, welcome to flickr/flubr/youtube.

view photos

frogmuseum2 says:

Good heavens. Flickr has been dying -- or about to suffer a horrible end -- ever since it opened its doors. Yikes!

How many times have these statements been seen:

"I'm quitting flickr!"
"Does anyone know of a real photo-sharing site?!"
"I'm not gonna renew my pro account!"
"I was gonna purchase a pro account but not now!"
"This (insert notion here) is a terrible idea!"
"Unacceptable, flickr! I'm leaving! Who's with me!"
"Sign the petition!"
"This (insert notion here) will destroy this site!"

~ and yet -- flickr is still here (fact), growing (fact), and getting better (my own opinion -- not asking anyone else to share it).

view photos

Chris Dion says:

I am highly displeased with this. I will probably NOT renew my account when it expires.

view photos

zyrcster says:

Update:

I've just received an invite to a video group created by a non-beta tester! :)

Yay!

view photos

eyexist says:

*eSThER* thanks!
I never really looked closely at photonet - I will now.

view photos

Ivan Keung says:

This is such a bad idea.

You are just blurring the character of Flickr. Come on Flickr is about PHOTOGRAPHY!!!

I really feel sorry for those paid users.

view photos

striatic says:

'@striatic, I have a video capable camera and mobilephone but I don't post my captures here as do many other people. Why don't you realise you're in the vocal minority here and stop trying to convince us otherwise that this is acceptable when it isn't.'

vocal minority of what?

do you truly think this thread is representative of flickr as a whole?

i assure you that since flickr video launched, far, far more people have uploaded videos than have lodged complaints about it.

view photos

CrackedButter says:

@frogmuseum2. What prey tell do you expect people to do instead? I do believe my complaint was original since it isn't in your list.

"I never got a pro account because I expected this"! :-)

view photos

Orbmiser says:

Brock It's not as if Flickr have taken this decision lightly, or didn't know that some wouldn't like it.

Yep and didn't bother asking first from their paying customer's either.

view photos

dbthayer says:

Waking up to a few invites to "no video" Flickr groups has soured me against my anti-video contacts, as I am sure my video uploads have soured them against having me as a contact.

zyrcster:

unfortunately, looks like that's the way it's headed.
flickr certainly knew that this was going to be an emotional issue, and could have provided filters to make video more palatable to those of us who don't want to be affected by it.
yet instead they chose to stick videos in our faces (our contacts list, our groups, and even explore).
accepting that video is here to stay, flickr simply blew the implementation.
is effective filtering of videos such an unreasonable request?

view photos

gavin_ian_campbell says:

Im all for video!
I have used flickr for 3-4 years now(as a pro member) and I welcome this new feature.

view photos

Kiro Melamorsicata says:

Only 90 seconds? I pay 25$/y for 90 seconds?? YouTube is free and offer me 10 minutes and you only 90 seconds???

Oh my God, it's maddness

view photos

Brock says:

I have a video capable camera and mobilephone but I don't post my captures here as do many other people.

You couldn't until last night. What's your point?

As with most things that happen after any sizeable change, it is usually a very vocal minority that complain. The anti video group has 5000 or so members.

Woop.

Do some maths on percentage of users that amounts to. Even if they left as a result, it's still a tiny drop in the bucket for Flickr's coffers. I wonder how many videos have been uploaded (and by how many users) in the time since teh launch?

Staff?

view photos

CrackedButter says:

@striatic, as in you're the vocal minority defending the video function. There's you, 2 staff members and the odd bod now and again chiping in.

view photos

zyrcster says:

illinichick357 I would like however, for staff to answer the question that has been asked multiple times...is the team going to be looking into adding filtering features for video?

I hope that staff addresses this question, too, for your sake.

I myself like the integration. Videos come off my camera as AVIs and get plopped into the same folder as the stills by my camera. Plus, some of my video compliment the photos in my sets. If you don't want to play them, you don't have to click the triangle. But if video were segregated from my photo sets, you might just occasionally lose out on a good moment.

The fact is, there's a lot of content I never want to see on Flickr, like HDR. I would love to visit my home town's group pool and never see HDR, but my neighbors here all seem to be HDR freaks. So, I skip those thumbnails and view the photos in the pool that have more merit based on the thumbnail.

So, you can do the same with video you see in a pool: ignore it, and go to the next page to find some photos you do like.

view photos

Brock says:

Yep and didn't bother asking first from their paying customer's either.

There have been MANY discussions about the issue for many years. They DO know what a representative selection of users feel.

view photos

ozoni11 says:

I will stick with flickr. I hate the idea of videos on this site. I have looked at a few and thought they were dreadful. Even if there are great videos, I piad to be a member of a photography site. I will stick with flickr and ignore all videos and hope the powers that be set up a separate site for videos. Then again, I prefer vinyl over CD's.

view photos

Alexandros_ says:

Heather, I would definitely appreciate if we could have more control over videos. Wouldn’t it be possible to add a new filter that could block videos all together? On a previous post you mentioned that filters are now enhanced but myself I haven’t seen any difference. Also when it comes to GROUPS I would really appreciate if I could MODERATE / LIMIT VIDEOS only.

view photos

frogmuseum2 says:

oops, sorry -- missed yours! ;-)

view photos

zyrcster says:

Alexandros_ Also when it comes to GROUPS I would really appreciate if I could MODERATE / LIMIT VIDEOS only.

Group admins can right now set their pools to deny video content. The feature you want already exists.
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/70140/

view photos

CrackedButter says:

@Brock my point was in response to Striatic's about needing 1 site and not 2 to manage digital content.

view photos

Walwyn says:

The "we say No to videos on flickr"
just reached 5000 members

So just another 14,000,000 more to go then.

view photos

Orbmiser says:

As with most things that happen after any sizeable change, it is usually a very vocal minority that complain. The anti video group has 5000 or so members.

That is in only what 10-12 hours? You don't think it will go much far beyond that? Talk about trying to downplay the No Video crowd before they even get started?

view photos

illinichick357 says:

I hope that staff addresses this question, too, for your sake.

Me too, I feel like it's being ignored and I'm tired of asking.

striatic I do love the carousel. ;-)
illinichick357 edited this topic 73 months ago.

view photos

CrackedButter says:

@orb9220, even if it was a million they wouldn't care. It here to stay I'm afraid.

view photos

striatic says:

'@striatic, as in you're the vocal minority defending the video function. There's you, 2 staff members and the odd bod now and again chiping in.'

and i'm telling you, far more people have uploaded videos than have complained about it or joined any "protest" group.

i'm afraid it may be you who is the vocal minority.

just because thousands of other people happily uploading video can't be bothered to defend a feature they know is here for good, doesn't mean they don't exist or that video on flickr is without support.

i'd guess most people would look at this as yet another silly flickr protest.

we've seen plenty of those over the years, haven't we?

view photos

zyrcster says:

It here to stay I'm afraid.

Indeed, it is.

view photos

sadandbeautiful (Sarah) says:

I am really amused by how much upset this is causing! I just don't think Flickr allowing video is going to change the experience so much unless we choose for it to do so. You can set your search to exclude videos. You can pretend they aren't there, just like I do with the porn (well, sometimes. LOL).

Right now I just think it is kinda fun to see little glimpses of people I have 'known' for a long time now...seeing them talk/move is a little treat!

There are going to be people who are exceptional and show us what one can do with video...be incredibly creative and artistic.

The videos on Flickr will run the gamut, just as the photos do. Some are here to share birthday party pics and snapshots; nothing more. Some are here to create art. And most people fall in between those two. We choose our contacts to follow based on where we like them on that spectrum.

We can do the same with those who upload videos. :-)

This doesn't have to be a big deal unless you want it to be. This is the INTERNET, people. Enjoy the ride.

view photos

RubyMae says:

andyscamera I choose my contacts, too, for the quality and content of the photographs. But guess what, they are posting videos of cats, dogs, them walking down the street, and what have you. I haven't checked out all the videos, but the dozen or so that I've seen (from my contacts) so far are exactly of the quality that you find on YouTube. The fact that it's limited to 90 seconds actually seems to lower the quality of the video, not increase it.

view photos

Orbmiser says:

I forgot Brock said "They DO know what a representative selection of users feel. "

So then why did they start this thread then? They just wanted pats for adding video and weren't really concerned if we actually wanted it?

view photos

tlspelce says:

Disappointing. Really. Just my 2 cents.

view photos

Maciej - landscape.lu says:

Bad bad bad idea. Despite having paid again for pro account I will look for some other sites. Hope that Google will use the situation to create a real photo system simmilar to what Flickr was ... Sure it might sound like a slight provocation but ...

view photos

ⓅⒶⓎⓅⒶⓊⓁ says:

Oh yes. This is just the thing to send Yahoo stock price down to the cellar. Microsoft will rejoice. And we'll end up with something far, far worse.
I made this crap!
Enjoy
flickr.com/photos/paypaul/2400411143/

view photos

Juan Pablo Aragon says:

Flickr is now slow because of videos......
I think this is a bad idea, maybe it could be the end of Flickr.....
I hope all will be ok.....come on !!

you tube=video
FLICKR=PHOTOGRAPHY

view photos

Angele. says:

I hope some miracle happens and video ends up on a sister site.
Amazing to me that up until last night I proudly told people they could see my photos on Flickr. I don't think I'm going to feel so proud about that anymore.
I won't be leaving Flickr anytime soon because I just don't know where to go & because I have really enjoyed Flickr & Flickr friends so much. I would love to see a mass migration to a photo only site. Is there such a place? I've only read the comments through page 6 and will go back to read the rest after this post.

view photos

touchingthelight says:

zrcster: So, you can do the same with video you see in a pool: ignore it, and go to the next page to find some photos you do like.

I agree; I could do this for video, as I do for photos that are of no interest to me. But I would suggest that video is a separate medium, not simply a variation in photographic technique or subject matter. Therefore, I reiterate my request for appropriate filtering options, because that would allow everyone to enjoy flickr as they please.

view photos

Jean Knowles says:

Why, oh why didn't Flickr create a sister site that people could opt into, instead of foisting video on everyone? FlickrVideo might have made a lot of people happy. Video on Flickr has made a lot of people very unhappy. This could have been a very positive move, not one that's polarizing Flickr members!

view photos

striatic says:

The anti video group has 5000 or so members.

and flickr has millions of active members.

5000 is indeed a lot of people, but flickr gets thousands of photos uploaded per minute!

i mean, just to put things into perspective regarding the number of people actively using flickr, versus the number organizing protests and such.
striatic edited this topic 73 months ago.

view photos

Mark Zuid says:

Question
All these videos can be played without opening the actual page....
If you play one from it's thumbnail in a group pool or from the Explore page, does that count as a view? or do you have to play it from it's own page for it to count as a view?

view photos

_[deleted]_ says:

"photo thumbnails also have boobs, penises and sharpie art. "

And I can elect to block porn or art. Not videos. Precisely my point.
_[deleted]_ edited this topic 73 months ago.

view photos

ⓅⒶⓎⓅⒶⓊⓁ says:

I'm seriously thinking of Deviant Art. It's only $5 more a year. But I still think flickr has the best "interface" for photo/art sharing and social interaction. All the others are just myspace imitators. I never had much success or interest in the convoluted and impersonal way myspace allows you to interact with other members.

view photos

barnabywasson says:

Dear Heather (and Flickrits),

What sets Flickr apart is the energized community creating and building knowledge around still images through metatagging, favs, flickr interestings, 3rd party tools, and group discussions (and much, much, much more).

Some of of these structures can translate to moving images (video) but not all. It feels like progress for progress sake. YouTube will never be Flickr...it's a shame that Flickr feels it needs to enter into the market dominated by YouTube and like.

I am committed to stay in Flickr due to the strong community of pro photographers I am proud to call my own. Yet, I still felt compelled to state for the record that this development seems to pull away from the central media format/mission Flickr has become known for...the building of a world community around the creation, exchange, and collaboration of still images. Keep doing what you do best...further expand the world of still images...not moving images.

Humbly,
-barnaby

P.S. The new and improved Admin tools rock! As does the newly raised photo size restriction of 20 MB/photo. Thank you!

view photos

swisskiltbear says:

5000 is indeed a lot of people, but flickr gets 10,000 photos uploaded per second!
Actually it's more like between 3,500 and 4,500 a minute, not second.

view photos

ⓅⒶⓎⓅⒶⓊⓁ says:

Oh and I don't like seeing in the floating indicator on firefox tabs "Photos and Videos from PayPaul(Leader Of the WW Tribe)
Yuck!

view photos

::ml|baxley:: says:

NO video. bad idea!

view photos

Jef Poskanzer says:

Greg the Bunny Hates Flickr Video! Pro User says:
>Not only don't I want to SEE it, I don't want my annual fee to go
>towards supporting it, fixing it, streamlining it, etc...

If that's really how you feel then you have to leave. Bye!

However I'm confident that nearly everyone who is saying "NO VIDEO" would be perfectly happy with an upgraded content filter that resulted in no *apparent* video for *them*. Most people are not fascists and don't care about controlling what others do, they just want to control what happens to themselves.

Filters now please.

view photos

thechrisproject says:

I'm very solidly against the video feature. I hate that my stream says "Photo and Videos from".

view photos

Scott Kasper Photography says:

Wow...check out all of the sentiment against this!!!! I too am opposed to video on Flickr....at least the Flickr that we currently know and usually love. While I acknowledge that many people use Flickr as a depository for their snapshots, many of us are here to improve our art. We are photographers! I also acknowledge that videography is an art....but give them their own space and don't muddy our waters!

That said, I would not be opposed if Flickr were to set it up in a way that maintained these two media separately. One could have a Video Stream and a Photo Stream.

There have recently been significant problems with Flickr that took quite some time to resolve and I hope that the addition of this new stuff will not have a negative impact on the service for which I pay!

view photos

Alexandros_ says:

Zyrcster I am talking about the "review submissions" option. What I would like is to review videos only and let photos to show up immediately. I don't want to deny videos :)

view photos

striatic says:

'Actually it's more like between 3,500 and 4,500 a minute, not second. '

yes i corrected that, but the point stands.

every 60 or so seconds, more photos are uploaded than there are members of the protest group.

just to put things into perspective.
striatic edited this topic 73 months ago.

view photos

RubyMae says:

I've checked my homepage and my photostream and it still says "photos" not "photos and videos." Where are people seeing the new wording?

view photos

Brock says:

So then why did they start this thread then? They just wanted pats for adding video and weren't really concerned if we actually wanted it?

They know that every time they introduce something, there is a requirement for users to talk about it. There is also ALWAYS a selection (of differing sizes) bitching about the change.

And so goes teh world.

It doesn't mean they are saying "is it ok if we implement video, users?".

Also, anyone that judges video on the content uploaded in the first month (never mind the first 12 hours) is really not being realistic. People will upload any old crap they have lying around just to play with the feature (me included). It's better to judge it after the novelty wears off, and people start using the feature properly that a judgement is a better idea.

As I said (somewhere else, I think) the initial rush of account usage is rarely representative of the eventual quality of the stream of a user, so I imagine the first rush of video will follow the same pattern.

view photos

Kurt Manley says:

videos should stay on you tube NOT flickr

view photos

DetroitDerek Photography ( ALL RIGHTS RESERVED ) says:

In the meantime it will be that much harder to get shots into Explore, as explore is now comprised of the most "interesting" pictures AND video. Great..... yes I understand not to put all your hopes,etc into Explore, but there are some of us who actually get excited when we rarely get a picture in there.

Has the input of videos onto Youtube increased or decreased in the last 2 years? My understanding is it has increased. So why would it decrease here?

view photos

drewsaunders says:

Passions are running high in this long thread.

I'm in the wait-and-see camp.

One thing I am looking forward to is short "how to" videos posted by photographers I admire. A "how I took this shot" would be great for those of us who use Flickr to learn how to be better photographers ourselves.

Yes, there will be crappy videos, but truth be told, there are a lot of crappy pictures on flickr. The joy is finding the photographers you like; the same will go for videographers.

view photos

gin girl jen says:

why are people so adverse to change and technology? First film, now digital. first b/w then color, silent movies now video on a phone. I don't shoot videos since I'm still learning photography but I'm not against it.

Yes Flickr should have mentioned video options before implementing it. Looks like we can filter them out/in of searches, away from groups or contact lists etc. It is an Option! not forced.

As long as content is kept under control I'm ok with it. I don't want video automatically starting or put into comments. That will make Flickr too busy/noisy and hiccup for sure.

view photos

nayansthankiya.com says:

I think the 90sec limit should be rethought, I've been doing audio slide shows for some time and most are 2+ minutes which is really necessary to be able to tell a story.

www.nayansthankiya,com/audioslideshow.html

view photos

Nerboo says:

Uhhh...if you can filter then show me where you find such an option.

view photos

zyrcster says:

Mark & The Zebra If you play one from it's thumbnail in a group pool or from the Explore page, does that count as a view? or do you have to play it from it's own page for it to count as a view?

Views only count if you actually visit the page. Repeated viewings on the page do not count as multiple views unless you refresh the page. So, it's the visit to the page that counts, not hitting the play button.

view photos

Wolfywhispers says:

@ Striatic "i assure you that since flickr video launched, far, far more people have uploaded videos than have lodged complaints about it.
"
True 'nuff because with the Yahoo-user injection the core flickr user is vastly outnumbered now. Reality is Flickr was a means to an end for Yahoo to compete against rival Google's Youtube(good luck with that). Hopefully the Flickrverse will still meet the needs of Photographers out there. As for all the fuss, come on, seriously, nobody saw this coming?

view photos

Yeah, how can I make it so I just can't see them? Hmm? Where's that option? Where's the "I want to see Flickr the way it always was and totally ignore the YouTube-ization of Flickr" button?

view photos

Toni F. says:

No videos on Flickr, please. Why don't you start a separate sister site for videos instead?

view photos

vincentJOHNSON says:

WOW!

A whole minute and 30 seconds of video!

WOW!

I guess I can finally put that video of my wedding vows online now. To bad it will have to be a 3 part series.

I can see a five minute cap, but seriously, there are prescription drug commercial longer than a minute thirty seconds.

view photos

zyrcster says:

Alexandros_ Makes sense -- that's not a bad idea, either. :)

view photos

Then go to Youtube.

view photos

consumkind says:

keep videos away from flickr!

maybe youtube is introducing photos sooner or later?
and mcdonalds is introducing healthy salads? oh, they already did!

view photos

ColleenM says:

"there are prescription drug commercial longer than a minute thirty seconds. "

Thank goodness they won't be able to be posted here!

view photos

ⓅⒶⓎⓅⒶⓊⓁ says:

Videos are ending up on Explore. That's grossly unfair! End the Devils agreement made with people who were Nipsa'd. Art should be allowed on Explore as well.

view photos

kevwil says:

I appreciate the bump in photo sizes, that is a welcome change, but videos don't belong here. Yahoo! should have forked Flickr (Vidr?) for a video-only clone of Flickr rather than pollute Flickr with video.

view photos

rim light says:

If I want to see videos and photos I can go to Ipernity...

view photos

Richard Carter says:

A total disaster. Every new feature added to Flickr these days seems to be a step in the wrong direction. You're diluting the brand, chaps: Flickr = photos. You are ruining one of the best sites on the internet.

view photos

Mark Zuid says:

zyrcster Views only count if you actually visit the page.
Thank god.. At least I can sleep easy knowing that I didn't boost the stupid woman trying to shove her cat in the fridge's score

view photos

sohvimus says:

dbthayer said: is effective filtering of videos such an unreasonable request?

In my opinion it is not.

I want to be able to not to see even those tiny thumbnails with a triangle in them, no matter how much I can "ignore" them now. If I can exclude, as a default personal profile setting, screenshots (which in my opinion are much closer to photographs in terms of "type of content" than videos, because both screenshots and photos are still images) from my search results when searching photographs, hence decreasing the amount of search results (and result pages), I should be able to the same with videos. I shouldn't have to always go to "advanced search" to be able to exclude videos from the search results.

view photos

carljohnson says:

I totally hate the idea of video here. If I wanted to look at people's stupid videos, there are plenty of sites for that. I don't like video, have never made video, and have no interest in video. Nevertheless, since it's here and you're not likely going to go back, I'm glad that at least it's only for pros. If the site starts getting bogged down by nonpaying members, it's really the end for me.

It would be very nice to add "Videos" to the categories you don't want to see, like "illustrations" are.

Can't wait 'til the first unbidden porn videos show up in my groups and comment streams.

view photos

fofurasfelinas says:

I just HATE having videos on flickr.
Flickr is a place for PHOTOS.
We pay for a photo service, if I want to see videos, I go to youtube.

I think Flickr is getting heavier everyday, and videos are going to make the connection busier.

Maybe some new cool photo site will appear... as Flickr beated fotolog, maybe something new can beat flickr too...

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 48 49
(801 to 900 of 4,905 replies in [Official Topic] Video on Flickr -- Feedback)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads