Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Detailed explanation of new features in Flickr 3.0 apps
Latest: 3 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Update on the new photo experience
Latest: 38 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Take a survey to help us improve Flickr groups
Latest: 4 hours ago
[Official Thread] Using a Yahoo username and password to sign in to Flickr
Latest: 6 hours ago
[Official Thread] Providing feedback on Flickr 3.0 for iOS and Android
Latest: 4 days ago
[Official Thread] Using Flickr over a secure (SSL) connection
Latest: 5 days ago

Current Discussion

Bug, font issue, or special characters?
Latest: 3 minutes ago
Down load my pictures
Latest: 15 minutes ago
how do I add a flickr photo in the description box,,, as opposed to adding just the link
Latest: 54 minutes ago
chat
Latest: 56 minutes ago
Missing about 3000++ images (had almost 7000...now below 4000!!)
Latest: 72 minutes ago
Thousands of views from unknown source in 24h?
Latest: 80 minutes ago
how do people find me on flicker?
Latest: 87 minutes ago
[BUG] Two types of Albums in the Italian version
Latest: 2 hours ago
Titles gone?
Out of office enquiry
doesn't accept "dune" as tag
Bug? Getting "Contact Limit Reached" error when non-reciprocal contacts are fewer than 3000
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Topic] Video on Flickr -- Feedback

Flickr Staff

heather says:

If you were wondering when "soon" was, it's now. You can read the announcement in FlickrBlog.

Our pro members can upload video of up to 90 seconds into their photostream. If you've feedback, this topic's for you (if you need help, head over to this topic).

The video FAQs are a great place to start for more info.

April 10th, 2:25 PDT: Please see our response to frequent feedback in this topic.

April 12th, 2:42 PDT: More staff comment here.

April 14th, 3ish PDT: And more here.

April 17th, 12:04 PDT: And here.

April 18th, 8:20 PDT: And.
Posted at 6:02PM, 8 April 2008 PDT ( permalink )
Eric (staff) edited this topic 73 months ago.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 48 49
(601 to 700 of 4,905 replies in [Official Topic] Video on Flickr -- Feedback)
view photos

Alfie | Japanorama says:

So lets hope that Microsoft buys Yahoo then, as Windows clearly also follows that model:

My Photos
My Documents
My Videos

And Amen to that Vieira. The very point I have been trying to get across all day.
Posted 73 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

swisskiltbear says:

@Alfie

Exactly!

view photos

Big Sumo says:

In the minority here I suspect (haven't read all the feedback).... I like Flickr Videos!

I am one of the masses who would not consider themselves a 'photographer' but rather an 'enthusiast'. I love photos/images and what they can do on a person seeing a wonderful image. I have a great passion for photos/images in education and the potential it has for teaching and learning in this ever increasing digital realm. I love it!

However, sometimes a single image is not enough to convey the full 'story'. Otherwise going to the movies would be a very short experience! I love the ability in one site to share those extras bits, that enable my friends and family to see the whole 'picture' of an experience I want to share with them. The majority of what I will be sharing 95%+ will be photos, not video. Otherwise I would be a Youtube user and not a Flickrite!

Ultimately. everyone will choose, to use or not to use. Just because Flickr Video is there it doesn't mean you have to use it! But because it IS I now have a choice that suits me.

I'm up for renewal of my pro account again soon.... I'll be back!!!!

Well done Flickr!

BTW the point of my feedback is that I'd like to add video into comments fields. The embed code doesn't work. Can you add that to the dev list.... please? Cheers!

view photos

frogmuseum2 says:

A lot of my contacts have already started uploading videos. It's no big deal -- to me. I like it. It has no affect on how I enjoy flickr, except to make the experience a bit richer and more interesting.

view photos

Vieira says:

Fred Jackson ( Free Tibet ) wrote

!541: YouTube evolved. Do you want Flickr to do the same?
Some of Striatics arguments I can understand but it still comes back to what is wrong with the Yahoo Video Site?

Yahoo has a Video Site? This changes everything! Shoo, video!

view photos

CrackedButter says:

@Alfie In Japan. Touche

view photos

TravisBallard says:

feel free to use the image

view photos

Moon_son says:

no video pleaaaaseee!!
you're ruinin' flickr!

view photos

firdaus omar says:

striatic :obviously we don't need to be a statistician to understand the sentiments that have been expressed here.

at least, if the flickr team wishes to pursue the video add on futher for what ever reasons, it should lend an ear to what flickr user has expressed. Maybe providing options/tailor the experience to photos/photo+video according to the user's preference.

view photos

Juan Pablo Aragon says:

Sorry, but i'm angry for this last news.......
I think this is a really bad move for Flickr, why video ??? there's a lot of sites that you can put video.......Please !! This is a photo site !!!
Put your video on youtube or others......

NO VIDEO ON FLICKR
NO VIDEO ON FLICKR
NO VIDEO ON FLICKR
NO VIDEO ON FLICKR
NO VIDEO ON FLICKR
NO VIDEO ON FLICKR
NO VIDEO ON FLICKR

view photos

Farruska says:

omg please don't introduce the video on comments feature... it's bad as it is when people decide to those emensly stupid annoying as hell glitter gis and animations, let along if the are allowed to put videos as comments! !!!

view photos

Alfie | Japanorama says:

It's still there guys..
www.flickr.com/help/general/#1

" What is Flickr?

Flickr is the best way to store, sort, search and share your photos online. Flickr helps you organize that huge mass of photos you have and offers a way for you and your friends and family to tell stories about them."

view photos

Mark Hewitt says:

@swisskiltbear

Well personally I use flickr to document events in my life, holidays, birthdays, whatever. During those occasions I will usually take many photographs and perhaps a couple of short video clips.

Prior to this change I had to keep the video clips seperate from the photographs, and why? They are depicting the same event so why not have them in the same set folder.

view photos

Greg Easton Photography says:

When will I be able to upload the My Documents folder to Flickr so I can make all my old articles available to the world in their original .doc format?

view photos

striatic says:

'I don't think its change people are fearing, its the similarity with youtube everybody is fearing.'

it is only similar to youtube in the most basic sense that both host video.

i mean you could also say that flickr is like "hot or not" because both allow for the sharing of photos.

youtube is probably more similar to flickr than flickr is to hot or not, but there are profound differences.

the 90 second limit on flickr, coupled with the fact that only pro accounts can currently upload, is the most profound difference.

the bulk of youtube content, and the heart of the site, is commercial content which easily exceeds 90 seconds, and only exists on youtube because it can be uploaded there for free.

even the most basic "web cam rants" that make up most of the rest of the content generally exceed 2 minutes in length. the vast majority of youtube content can't even be uploaded to flickr, for these reasons .. so i'm puzzled by how you think flickr could become some kind of "mirror youtube" .. it just isn't possible if you think about it for more than .. i dunno, 90 seconds?

'Well other cameras that take both photos and videos (My DSLR doesn't) put videos and photos in different folders on the PC'

huh? every camera with video capabilities that i have ever owned puts the video and photos in the same folder.

view photos

Why? Because this is a PHOTO site.

view photos

TravisBallard says:

Alfie in Japan wrote

It's still there guys..
www.flickr.com/help/general/#1

" What is Flickr?

Flickr is the best way to store, sort, search and share your photos online. Flickr helps you organize that huge mass of photos you have and offers a way for you and your friends and family to tell stories about them."

no, that's what flickr was.

view photos

Alfie | Japanorama says:

@Mark.... Flickr Video, Flickr: surely Yahoo are brainy enough to make one interface, two pots of content. Opt out or in. Up to the user. I am a photographer. I dont want video. My opinion counts as much as yours.

@Travis: my point entirely. Possibly a little loophole for a refund there?
Alfie | Japanorama edited this topic 73 months ago.

view photos

judwal says:

YouTube for videos and Flickr for photos...please.... Let's leave it that way!

view photos

ebbandphlow says:

Good job on running off paying customers
I wont be renewing my account
Thanks

view photos

striatic says:

tavis ballard, i find the graphic you posted, which is wide enough to break flickr's layout and force horizontal scrolling, far more more obnoxious than any video you can refuse to click.
striatic edited this topic 73 months ago.

view photos

Mark Hewitt says:

@Alfie

Well I agree there. I see no reason why all tastes cannot be catered for and have a video on / video off switch.

The fact is that video is here now, and it's not going to be removed!

view photos

If it's breaking the layout for you, then it's high time for you to switch to 1024 x 768 because it looks fine to me.

view photos

Alfie | Japanorama says:

Striatic: no one at Flickr has answered any of my repeated calls to ban images from comments, to prevent people posting invites and other crap that are bigger than my photos. That would have been a nice upgrade. Text only invitations.

view photos

Fred Jackson ( Free Tibet ) says:

Does anyone really think that Flickr will hold itself to only 90 seconds of video, come on Stri even you know better than that.
Oh and by the way other photo sites have been destroyed by video.

view photos

originalmulli (naomi) says:

I'm devasted that flickr are even remotely approaching the ghastly chaos of trash that is YouTube, just to compete with Google. But I have no doubt that the opinions of hundreds and thousands of flickr members will be completely ignored on this. I really am gutted.

This could be the thing that breaks my flickr addiction at last, so maybe I should actually be grateful. But I've got so much from this community. This makes me very sad.

view photos

Alfie | Japanorama says:

Everyone here who likes video is already screaming for more than 90secs. But apparently they arent vying to be YouTube if the blog I read from one of the managers is to be believed. Video was in the plan from the very start, pre-Yahoo.

view photos

Mark Hewitt says:

@Alfie:
Wrong. I like the addition of video. But I think it going longer than 90 seconds would be a Bad Thing.

view photos

Alfie | Japanorama says:

Most people I have read who like video then Mark, sorry.

view photos

The Lens Mount says:

I would prefer video be limited to creating slideshows cleverly put to music or something rather than just video. 90s is obviously not enough time for that desirable A/V purpose. I understand the goal of limiting flickr video to 90s for the purpose of maintaining a Photography focus. In light of that spirit I would extend the ability to create slideshows of uploaded images put to music rather than supporting pure video.

Obviously I would dread exploring only to find similar stuff to YouTube. It doesn't seem like the site's focussed was really considered.

Without having a perfect understanding of how the video ties in to photos for the sake of photos, I think video would have been best left out.

view photos

TravisBallard says:

striatic wrote

tavis ballard, i find the graphic you posted, which is wide enough to break flickr's layout and force horizontal scrolling, far more more obnoxious than any video you can refuse to click.

then dont view it. that's what you keep telling us about the videos. haagen-daas!

view photos

Trăndă says:

Oh and by the way other photo sites have been destroyed by video.

Hell, i've seen photography websites destroyed by photographs, let alone video :-D

view photos

Big Sumo says:

I agree Mark H! 90 seconds is plenty for me! I can't stand Youtube personally...other than just viewing videos from time to time. I wouldn't dream of using it seriously. Doesn't suit me at all.

Then again I am only one little paying pro member!

And BTW.... LOL !!!!! re below (I'm sure your referring to some of mine!!)

"Hell, i've seen photography websites destroyed by photographs, let alone video :-D "
Big Sumo edited this topic 73 months ago.

view photos

_[deleted]_ says:

golly. the participants of this thread represent "the majority of flickr users"?

you're a statistician, i take it?

So the non-participants to this thread represent a for-video "silent majority"?

You're a Republican spinner, I take it?

More seriously: I'm dead set against video. Of the things missing from Flickr, I don't think that was #1. Yet, I don't really give a flying bokeh as long as my dollars give me some basic "rights", if you will - such as choice. And no, having the "freedom" to not click on a video is not enough.

As mentioned by several others, give us a filter, and voilà. That's all we ask, and surely that need should have been easily foreseen and should easily be implemented.

view photos

swisskiltbear says:

@striatic

There are plenty of cameras and phones that put the photos into e.g. "My Documents\My Pictures\whatever camera\whatever subfolder" and videos into "My Documents\My Videos\whatever camera\whatever subfolder".

It may come as a shock to you, but just because you haven't used one doesn't mean they're not around and quite commonplace.

You just can't have anyone else be right for once, can you?

view photos

Badger Badger Studios says:

Just to add my two-penneth-worth, in case Flickr starts to listen to feedback from it's paying members - I am against this additional video functionality and feel that based on the fact that Flickr is built on still photography, a different site entirely should have been launched to host this additional medium.
Cheers.

view photos

birdyboo says:

Thanks Flickr! This feature worked first time and flawlessly for me. Easy and fast. I don't do much video but sometimes a little motion adds so much to the story. It's great to be able to put it here along with the photos from the shoot..

view photos

JPaul23 says:

I do not want peoples cheesy home videos posted in comments. I hope this choice is available as an option, I don't see it mentioned in the FAQ.
Also I see that if you upload video that isn't yours, you get a warning. Why are video uploaders afforded this luxury when photo uploaders aren't?

view photos

Juan Pablo Aragon says:

"Flickr is the best way to store, sort, search and share your PHOTOS online. Flickr helps you organize that huge mass of photos you have and offers a way for you and your friends and family to tell stories about them."

NO VIDEO ON FLICKR

"video for youtube, photos for flickr. Please leave it that way !!!" (thanks judwal)

view photos

striatic says:

'If it's breaking the layout for you, then it's high time for you to switch to 1024 x 768 because it looks fine to me.'

flickr's layout is designed to operate at 800px wide, which is sensible and lets people run flickr stuff in a smaller window, or 1024x768 with a sidebar.

the wide "protest" image breaks that layout.

'Does anyone really think that Flickr will hold itself to only 90 seconds of video, come on Stri even you know better than that.'

actually i'm pretty convinced they'll keep the limit, and that even if they don't, it'll only be extended for "pro" users - which will again prevent flickr from hosting youtube like content, because unlike youtube people will have to pay to post.

view photos

Big Sumo says:

"As mentioned by several others, give us a filter, and voilà. "

Hear hear! eight59cc! Best of both worlds. Would suit you, would suit me!!

Add that to the Dev List please!

view photos

Ogun Ferraille (bkryzz) says:

No video on flickr

[bunch more of this removed]
heather (staff) edited this topic 73 months ago.

view photos

r12a says:

Since I've been taking short 'moving photos' of places I've been for some time, in order to briefly capture sounds and things that don't fit well in the photo format,but I always struggled to find a way of integrating them with my photos of the same place, I'm delighted to see this, and especially to see it positioned as 'long photos'.

It's great that everything integrates with the photos, in a nice clean look&feel, and none of the aggressive clutter of other video-only interfaces. Allowing the videos to run in smaller sizes in the photo stream is also very good.

I'm really impressed by the quality - much better than other video-only sites I've tried !

It's a bit of a pain that the video has to download again every time you change a page, rather than just being read from the cache.

But on the whole, this is great. Thanks.
r12a edited this topic 73 months ago.

view photos

Farruska says:

truly unnecessary . you're not helping.

view photos

striatic says:

'It may come as a shock to you, but just because you haven't used one doesn't mean they're not around and quite commonplace.

You just can't have anyone else be right for once, can you?'

i've owned 3 cameras [with video, that is] from 3 different manufacturers on 2 different operating systems. not one has ever put the videos and photos into different folders.

i'm not saying such cameras are non-existent, but that certainly isn't standard behaviour. for one, it assumes a folder structure that isn't present in all operating systems.

view photos

TravisBallard says:

Farruska wrote

truly unnecessary . you're not helping.

agreed. as much as i am against this sh!t, that was a bit overboard.

view photos

co2co3 says:

Support uploading FLVs!!

view photos

hrw worcester says:

So, it seems few people are entirely happy. The pro-video people are upset the videos are "too short" at 90 seconds. The anti-video people are unhappy about videos on Flickr in general.

Wouldn't a sister site the the resources dedicated to allowing longer videos - and ideally with the option to integrate the two by user (so a link on the "so-and-so's photostream" to "so-and-so's videostream on videor" or whatever) - have kept both sides happy?

You can't please all the people all the time, but this seems to be making very few people truly satisfied.

view photos

Dr. Keats says:

Hopefully, a Staff member will delete that nonsense... or the poster will have the sense to edit most of it out...

view photos

Trăndă says:

Someone please remove ogun's comment.

view photos

swisskiltbear says:

@striatic

Windows XP Pro SP2, My old Canon did that and my Nokia Phone does it, provided I use the manufacturers transfer software.

view photos

striatic says:

'So, it seems few people are entirely happy. The pro-video people are upset the videos are "too short" at 90 seconds. '

huh. just on this page:

'I agree Mark H! 90 seconds is plenty for me! I can't stand Youtube personally'

'I like the addition of video. But I think it going longer than 90 seconds would be a Bad Thing.'

''I'm delighted to see this, and especially to see it positioned as 'long photos'. '

don't try to tell the "pro video people" what they're for.

view photos

Orbmiser says:

Well for all the people supporting Flickr Video may I ask if it matters that:

Flickr staff have been promising fixes for regular flickr on improving the search,threads,comments and were saying real soon now or we are working on it.

But the whole time they were Lying to Us? working instead on Video rollout. And that doesn't concern you because now you got your video?

And it doesn't concern you that your video's may have a detrimental impact on the server's which are already being taxed on a regular basis and staff resources so they now have to deal with video issues that effect the experience of the non-video user's getting to their photo's?

And you have no concerns that the No. 1 photo sharing site will not turn into another MySpace type social site?

I guess I read the flickr community all wrong on this?

view photos

So what is so bad about Yahoo!Video that Flickr has to be invaded.
Could it be that it isn't been supported enough to earn Yahoos megabucks?

view photos

Mark Hewitt says:

Personally I use flickr as a storage space for my photos and now videos. I couldn't care less about social networking etc.

view photos

Alfie | Japanorama says:

Good for you Mark.

Precisely Orb. My money was taken and used for something else. All the suggestions peopleincluding me have made for how to improve this site for what it said it did have been ignored.

Money back please.

view photos

striatic says:

'So what is so bad about Yahoo!Video that Flickr has to be invaded.'

produced, edited content, coupled with a lot of professionally produced content isn't the same as a way to share videos captured along side photos.

different sites with different focus.

view photos

Mark Hewitt says:

Is flickr providing less now then it did when you paid your money?

view photos

CrackedButter says:

How you use it will not be a reflection on how others will use it Mark.

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather says:

I've removed the big image and the multiples of the "no video" comment.

You're welcome to discuss video on Flickr, but please keep it civil, image free and how about "succinct" (ie not repeating "no video on flickr" 100 times in one post on a new line).

Good morning! I'm here -- just reading the comments that have accumulated from when I crashed at 11.

[edit "repetition crap" --> "not repeating 'no video on flickr' 100 times in one post on a new line"]
heather (staff) edited this topic 73 months ago.

view photos

·júbilo·haku· says:

NO VIDEO

Flickr is for photo

make a new page!

view photos

Alfie | Japanorama says:

Reptition crap? Thanks staff.

Welcome to your day, Thanks for mine.

view photos

CrackedButter says:

@Striatic. Striatic said: "different sites with different focus".

Yeah I agree, it makes sense to put short videos on a photo sharing website instead of a video website.

Your comment is going to be intrepretated in so many different many dude.

@ Heather Just read a few comments, I think page 7 represents itself quite well, don't waste your time reading the first 6 pages because what you could be doing instead is removing the video functionality.
CrackedButter edited this topic 73 months ago.

view photos

Khaled A.K says:

I'm totally against the Idea ...

view photos

Nerboo says:

What a horrid decision.

view photos

Mark Hewitt says:

"Down with this sort of thing"

"Careful now"

:-p

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather says:

ie, "No video on Flickr" repeated 100 times on a new line. I think that's unnecessary.

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather says:

Travis, Thanks, that's better.

view photos

Trăndă says:

Welcome to your day, Thanks for mine.

She meant the people posting "no video" over and over again. Not taking the staff's side, but it's a good thing that they cleaned up the thread.

view photos

striatic says:

'Your comment is going to be intrepretated in some many different many dude.'

flickr's focus is sharing media created with digital cameras.

that isn't a particularly broad focus.

video is created alongside the photos on most of those cameras.

"short, flickr like digital camera clips" are not created along-side the kind of content that yahoo videos is geared toward.

view photos

MrHaich says:

OK. not that i have been with flickr long but i am a paying guest so i will have my say.... Im my opinion, the video's thing needs to go...it will undoubtly become another y0utube, has little content actually worth watching and full of derogative and abusive comments....i thought better of flickr to be honest...a little disappointed i suppose!... Please ditch it......Thanks for listening..... :)

Oh and is it me or is flickr becoming quieter of late? (note to self take better pictures)
MrHaich edited this topic 73 months ago.

view photos

By your logic, will only videos created with my digital camera be allowed to be uploaded or can I upload 90 second CGI videos created entirely in the computer?

view photos

- Ronski - says:

I absolutely hate this idea.

Please please reconsider, flickr has (& should be) a photography site, please don't make it a lame youTube clone. Unfortunately I'd just paid up for another 2 years on this site if I'd known about it I certainly would not have signed up again.

Very very disappointed.

view photos

frogmuseum2 says:

It was strange to wake up to video on flickr this morning -- I mean from my contacts -- but it was also great. I do not notice any 'disturbance' in the flickr matrix because of the introduction of video. No, it's not exactly the same flickr -- it's better, in my wee, insignificant opinion.

Now to work on some stop-motion...

view photos

Aandix / Adnan Asllani says:

Flickr like youtube?

No please!!! No Video on Flickr!!!!

view photos

striatic says:

'By your logic, will only videos created with my digital camera be allowed to be uploaded or can I upload 90 second CGI videos created entirely in the computer?'

no that's not my logic.

there's a difference between "focus" and "what's allowed".

for example, flickr's focus isn't sharing drawings, but they can be uploaded here.

i imagine you'll see "90 second CGI videos" posted to flickr in the same way you see screenshots posted to flickr.

view photos

Farruska says:

"Oh and is it me or is flickr becoming quieter of late?" it's not you, I've noticed it too.

view photos

touchingthelight says:

So that's why my sets are now full of "things". No, I'm a photographer ...
I joined flickr for its dedication to photography; there are other dedicated video sites. I would much prefer that flickr did not accept video, and like others I would like to see continued dedicated investment to improving the photography experience here, not diluting it.

But at the very least I want to see a feature that allows me to exclude it from being visible in groups or searches, as I can for artwork etc.
touchingthelight edited this topic 73 months ago.

view photos

Farruska says:

why do you say the focus is digital photograph ? (just trying to follow your logic)
Farruska edited this topic 73 months ago.

view photos

simon & bryony* says:

I didn't spend time and money on flickr to support video clips. This is photography, not f__king 'you tube'!

Fond Regards - Simon.

view photos

william c hutton jr says:

1. I HATE Yahoo

2. How can I set my account up so I never see a stream where there's vido content,

3. Did I mention I HATE Yahoo?
william c hutton jr edited this topic 73 months ago.

view photos

Alfie | Japanorama says:

Striatic: "flickr's focus is sharing media created with digital cameras. that isn't a particularly broad focus. video is created alongside the photos on most of those cameras."

Most pupular cameras according to Flickr's camera finder:

1. Canon Digital Rebel XTi: no video
2. Canon Digital Rebel XT: no video
3. Nikon D80: no video
4. Nikon D50: no video
5. Dikon D40: no video

view photos

oktoberNIGHT says:

I am disappointed with this decision to incorporate video into Flickr, since I know that my user experience here is created by photos. If I have to navigate around videos, click past them, or even mentally filter them out as I'm looking at a page -- that's spam that's decreasing the value of my user experience.

I don't really expect that Flickr will be removing the video functionality, despite the fact that many users are unhappy about it, because they've already invested the time and money into it....
So, that being said, I think from this point forward, they need to invest a LOT of development time into making photos and videos separate for those who want it.

Doesn't Flickr have any analysts on staff?

view photos

TravisBallard says:

Alfie in Japan wrote

Striatic: "flickr's focus is sharing media created with digital cameras. that isn't a particularly broad focus. video is created alongside the photos on most of those cameras."

Most pupular cameras according to Flickr's camera finder:

1. Canon Digital Rebel XTi: no video
2. Canon Digital Rebel XT: no video
3. Nikon D80: no video
4. Nikon D50: no video
5. Dikon D40: no video

great point alfie.

view photos

placenamehere says:

wow. that's all have to say about the 7 pages of bitching and moaning i read through. wow.

Anywho, back on topic i think, can I make a REQUEST?

I'd love to see some STATIC / preview image embedding options along side the video embedding options. This would facilitate the ability to participate in group threads ["Best NYC Video of the Week"] with more then just a link to the image, have something useful in a group description, or just generally be able to better link to your video in places on flickr and participate in the ways we've learned to participate on Flickr with static images -- without having to just allow video embedding code in these "Some HTML is OK" text boxes.

view photos

Alfie | Japanorama says:

And the camera finder was broke for a while and didnt even register the D300, which loads of people have here - including me - which has no video either.

Bitching and moaning? Just putting our opinions over on a service we all pay money for.

view photos

Mark Hewitt says:

So what? flickrs focus will remain on photographs. Should the rest of us not be able to upload short video clips because YOU don't want people to? hmmm

BTW, It's not like I'm uploading hundreds of them. I've got about 4 years worth of stuff on my flickr account and theres only about 12 videos in total.

view photos

Farruska says:

ok, you answered my question :D
so Striatic is also a statistician.

view photos

striatic says:

doublepost

view photos

striatic says:

'Most pupular cameras according to Flickr's camera finder:'

there are fewer DSLR types than point and shoot camera types.

thus, they have higher "per model" numbers.

however, there are still many more point and shoot photos on flickr than DSLR photos.

conduct a random sample from "recent photos" and you discover the truth.

view photos

ColleenM says:

Alfie in Japan

But those cameras aren't creating the billions of photos being uploaded by all the snapshooters.

I think if you added up all the point and shoot cameras, versus the professional cameras, you'd find the professional equipment was numerically overwhelmed by the family snapshot equipment.

view photos

sevennine says:

I don't have any problem with video on Flickr if (and only if) you give me the ability to choose between viewing contacts' videos and photos. I have no interest in videos, I'm only interested in photos. I don't like opening up my contacts' new uploads and automatically having videos start playing.

view photos

illinichick357 says:

I really hope Yahoo provided you all with donuts this morning Heather!!! And drinks last night. What are the possibilities for adjusting the filtering system, giving folks the opportunity to "opt" out of seeing video if they don't want to on their contacts photos, etc...Or allowing to only see friends/family etc.?

view photos

Striatic, you're answer is my argument.

different sites with different focus.

So why can we not have that?

view photos

beebo wallace says:

I like this video thingy mcbob Flickr introduced ... so far.

Kudos!

2 suggestions:
I'm sure they've been mentioned but I am not reading all the posts

I would like a way to filter, search and sort different media types.
It's too hard to find video right now.

I would like to be able to embed video into threads.
maybe comments too
beebo wallace edited this topic 73 months ago.

view photos

My apologies for seeming argumentative Striatic but you are one of the few people attempting a defence.

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather says:

I was an early alpha tester and member of the community before I joined the team.

When the team first came down from Vancouver in June, I wanted to throttle Stewart. Video on Flickr! The horror!. But then Derek gave me a small digital camera that enabled me to capture video and I was hooked.

What I've always loved about Flickr is the elasticity that enables all of our members to create the experience that they desire. I feel that the way that we've brought video into the Flickrverse will go a long way into ensuring that all of our members can share the moments of their life that their choosing to, be they still or moving.

If you're not into video, that's totally cool. If you are, then you have a shiny new tool in your toolbox.

Seeing stuff like "Flickr is about photography" feels strangely limiting.

{still on my first cup of tea}

view photos

Mark Hewitt says:

@sevennine
They don't "automatically.. start playing", they are displayed as thumbnails.

view photos

Pauline A Yates Photography says:

Apart from Yahoo bods wanting a slice of the 'YouTube' pie and using Flickr to do it (come on - that's what this boils down to), I don't see how the inclusion of video adds to Flickr.

Surely the easiest way to share film footage with a family member is to burn it to DVD and send it to them. Or is that not what is required here? Is it that Yahoo are indeed going after the 'reality TV' generation, mind numbing, brain rotting drivel that is found on social networking sites.

Please remove this 'new feature' Flickr - it is not required and not wanted.

@ Heather - I too have a digital video camera, however I have no urge to upload my son's rugby matches, neighbourhood BBQ's or anything else caught on it.
Pauline A Yates Photography edited this topic 73 months ago.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 48 49
(601 to 700 of 4,905 replies in [Official Topic] Video on Flickr -- Feedback)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads