Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Update on the new photo experience
Latest: 35 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Search improvements
Latest: 63 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Take a survey to help us improve Flickr groups
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Official Thread] Using a Yahoo username and password to sign in to Flickr
Latest: 34 hours ago
[Official Topic] New m.flickr.com Photo page
Latest: 2 days ago
[Official Thread] Using Flickr over a secure (SSL) connection
Latest: 2 days ago
[Official Thread] Update to creative commons attribution on the new photo page
Latest: 4 days ago

Current Discussion

cant upload photo
Latest: 5 minutes ago
Strange Referrers
Latest: 73 minutes ago
Copying photos
Google, Bing, etc photo search
BB Code
flickr stats - plummeted!
getting URL to post image on a photo forum
[confirmed bug] search for machine-tags not working anymore
Latest: 3 hours ago
Embed Slideshow in New Photo Experience
Latest: 4 hours ago
Missing about 3000++ images (had almost 7000...now below 4000!!)
Having to refavor favorites?
[Official Thread] Welcome back HTML Embeds! Goodbye to some sharing options.
More...

Search the Help Forum

Cookies login problem with Mozilla Firefox

Germán Vogel says:

Im logging in to Flickr from Iran, and in spite of never having logged out, now Im getting this message,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your registration was successful.

However, we couldn't log you in automatically because it looks like you don't have cookies enabled.

* Clear your existing Flickr cookies

* Check that your cookies are actually enabled (Click here for instructions on how to enable your cookies.)

* If you've done both of these things, and restarted your browser, and tried to log in and it's still not working, please contact us.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have my cookies enabled and have tried everything it says but nothing works so Im resorting to asking for some help explicitly. I have no clue of what could be wrong here, and Im wondering if it has to do with Iran no longer being in Yahoo's countries list.
Posted at 2:42PM, 18 December 2007 PDT ( permalink )

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard says:

Hello Germán,

Can you give us a little more info on exactly when you are seeing this? The exact URL of the page you start on and the page the error occurs on would help. Also, are you entering your password and then get this error or are you not even able to enter it?
Posted 77 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

monsieurpotts says:

I had this same problem the entire time I was in China this summer. It only happened when I was using the flock browser, but not when using firefox on the same machine.

I got this error after logging into flickr and entering my password. Fortunately, now that I'm back home in Seattle, I don't have this problem.

view photos

Cybergabi says:

Same here. I am trying to log in from Germany. No probs with IE, but this exact message comes on Firefox. I have tried with 2.0.0.10 and 2.0.0.11, but both versions fail. I have killed all cookies and also all the cookie blocks, and have put the settings to "accept all cookies", but it's still prevailing. Please help - I need my Greasemonkey stuff to work...

This is what I do:
Go to flickr.com
Enter my username + PW
Get redirected to www.flickr.com/register_cookies.gne

No matter how often I delete the cookies.

I did have issues today with the "new" icon too. It didn't work, no matter how many new comments I had or how many new postings to my groups. That's why I logged off Flickr in the first place and killed all existing cookies. And then I wasn't able to log back in.

I think it may have something to do with that adtracker of ivwbox which you seem to have installed in Germany since you have the ad on the login page. These things heavily depend on cookies and frequently interfere with Firefox.

view photos

Cybergabi says:

This is the message I get:

Ooops Alright

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin says:

Thank you for the extra detail, we've given a heads up to the developers to have a look at these.

view photos

Cybergabi says:

Quick update: Your developers seem to have changed something in the cookies. Now there are more cookies which request to be allowed during the login process - but even when I grant permission to all of them, it's still not working.

It may also have to do something with the change in the "Datenschutzerklärung" (privacy declaration) on the German login page. I always get directed to the German login page automatically when I type flickr.com - when I try to log in there, it says (in red):

"Bitte beachten Sie unsere aktualisierte Datenschutzerklärung, die Sie durch den Anmeldevorgang akzeptieren."

("Please notice our updated privacy declaration which you accept by your log-in.")

Nothing like that is displayed on the English login page - and this has never been displayed before in Germany either.
Cybergabi edited this topic 77 months ago.

view photos

sakura love says:

same here. I can not log in

view photos

sewage says:

Yeah, I can't log in either. I'm using Firefox with Access Flickr! 1.71 and am trying to connect from China. It started maybe a couple of days ago.

view photos

sewage says:

I meant to add - I can log in using Firefox with Access Flickr disabled but not with it enabled. The problem with it is that I can't view most of the old photos on this site.

view photos

nilie3p says:

Still a problem accessing from China!

I'm now logged in via Internet Explorer but cannot view my pics. This was the reason why i've switched to Mozilla Firefox ...

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin says:

Hey there- so, we haven't really changed anything over here, but we do think this has to do with logging in through proxies or using tools or Firefox extensions that do. We've had several reports of this via email as well.

view photos

Germán Vogel says:

Dear Zack Sheppard and others who have replied,

Im awfully sorry for the delay, and grateful for your fast reply at the same time.

I get this error right after inserting my username and password, so Im taken to the www.flickr.com/register_cookies.gne cookies error page automatically after trying to log in.

Are they working on it or is there something we can do?

Many thanks,
Germán

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard says:

Germán, please check out Kevin's post above. Check to see if you have any extensions or proxies that you are using to access Flickr. You also might want to contact your ISP to see if there is something going on there.

view photos

geyaya says:

I have the same problem as sewage's.

I am connecting from China using Firefox with Access Flickr!1.71. (BTW, it's a plug-in to bypass the flickr filter in China). I can log in with Access Flickr disabled but not with it enabled. But I can't view my old photos when it is disabled.

view photos

sewage says:

It seemed to be working fine on my Mac with Firefox and Access Flickr! 1.71 but not on my PC with Firefox and Access Flickr! 1.71as I reported earlier.

view photos

scribeoflight says:

When I use Flickr Access, as I'm in China... it won't let me log-in...

If I don't install FA... it will let me log in... If I install Access Flickr while logged in... Can you guess what happens?

It won't let me log out!

I have to manually delete the cookies in Firefox, and then (naturally) the session expires...

Interesting... Didn't start happening until... Yesterday. So something must have happened quite recently to change the... equilibrium.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin says:

We're communicating with Hamed over some new Access Firefox changes to handle this. In short, we *did* change something very slightly that caused this tool to break, but it was to fix something that was actually not right before. (And not all the developers were aware of the change, so apologies that we had the wrong information earlier, that nothing was different. :)

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

Thanks Kevin for informing me about this thread.
Three days ago I received the first email reporting this problem, so I checked it and found a very small change in the way that Flickr sends cookies.
So I immediately wrote a new version for extension, and sent it to Mozilla site, which unfortunately is not reviewed and accepted yet. (I think they are busy with launching Firefox 3)
You can manually download it here:
Link removed, because Mozilla at last approved the new version!

(Right click the link above, and select "save as", then save it to your desktop. When finished, drag and drop the saved file into an open Firefox window, and restart your Firefox)

@geyaya: Can you send me link of one of those old photos that you cannot see? You can send it to me via Flickr mail, or via posting it here. (I won't periodically check this thread)

Edit:: Link removed, because Mozilla at last approved the new version!
Hamed Saber edited this topic 77 months ago.

view photos

sewage says:

Awesome, it works. Thanks Hamed.

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

And for friends who can access Flickr after disabling the extension:
May I ask why are you using this extension? This extension is made for those who banned from accessing Flickr by governmental firewalls, and limits you who have a free access to the site!
In addition, this extension forces you to connect to some "aka" servers which are the best servers for Iran region, and might decrease your connection speed.
You can simply uninstall this extension, if you can access Flickr while it's disabled!

view photos

sewage says:

We can still access the Flickr site but only see the newest images that were uploaded. All the older pictures were unavailable.

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@sewage: More info please!
Give me link of the page that you can't see its image. And country that you're connecting from.

view photos

...Mimii... says:

i love you, hamed saber... 1.8 it works.

view photos

cutEe <3 says:

thanX alot
i was having this cookie problem but thanks to Hamed saber
i can log in again ^.^

view photos

scribeoflight says:

Hamed, in China, when I don't install your plug-in, I can generally view very recent images, but can't view older images... And also can never view user-icons... It seems to be about two or three weeks of newer images that are fine...

So, in China, the Flickr Access helps me view the site in its entirety...

Does this make any sense?

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@scribeoflight: Thank you, yes it makes sense.
But is there anybody who uses the "Access Flickr!" extension and can't see some old photos?

view photos

»» ǗǎỄ ҚŋļĝђŦ «« says:

thanx Hamed Saber for ur co-operating with us ur such a kind man ^_^
»» ǗǎỄ ҚŋļĝђŦ «« edited this topic 77 months ago.

view photos

* Honest * says:

Hamed Saber you are OFFICIALLY my flickr HERO.
THANK YOU SO MUCH... You saved my creative Life.

-*Honest* from Dubai

view photos

bentleylu says:

I would like to thank you too.
You really are the HERO!!!!

view photos

sakura love says:

me too.. All the images before Oct 4 can not be seen..

edit: sorry, now I can see it..

view photos

becklectic says:

We in China salute you, Hamed Saber!!!!

I checked some of the very first photos I uploaded to flickr and have no problems accessing them using Access Flickr.

Thanks

view photos

Shawna:) says:

HI HAMED!
The other day I was having the Cookies problems and I followed your instructions and it worked. However the problem has occured again and I can't fix it now. Any more advice? :)

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@joegirl4evr: Check you add-ons window and tell me what's the version of "Access Flickr!" extension you use?

view photos

Aditya.Vanshika says:

Dear hamed / Kevin,
I live in Dubai where FLICKR is banned and not accessible from public network. To access Flickr website "Access Flickr" only way which allows me to connect to flickr website from my home.
MY flickr has started working now.

i appreciate efforts done in this directions. Many Many Thanks for the solving this problem.

Merry Christmas. Happy New Year in advance.

Bharat

view photos

AlaNooD says:

it works. Thanks Hamed.

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

The new version (1.8) is now public and approved by Mozilla guys, so it will be updated automatically for those who didn't use this way (downloading from my site).

And for you, who downloaded it from the link I provided above (saber.ir/...), I strongly recommend you to reinstall it from Mozilla site at this address:
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4286

This are exactly the same files, but if you reinstall it from Mozilla, you will automatically get future updates.

view photos

Cybergabi says:

Hamed Saber wrote:

And for friends who can access Flickr after disabling the extension:
May I ask why are you using this extension? This extension is made for those who banned from accessing Flickr by governmental firewalls, and limits you who have a free access to the site!
In addition, this extension forces you to connect to some "aka" servers which are the best servers for Iran region, and might decrease your connection speed.
You can simply uninstall this extension, if you can access Flickr while it's disabled!

Hamed, strangely, this happens in Germany from time to time too... and I find your script very useful in these cases. That's why I have it installed all the time. But it's good to know that the problem had to do with the interaction of Flickr cookies and your script. In case something like this comes up again, I can now just deactivate it and check whether it works again.

Thanks again for all your effort. This is one of the most wonderful tools on the Web...
Posted 76 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

Thanks for the info Cybergabi, and you're welcome

view photos

Forestsong78 says:

I works here in China. Before I got this link by google, I guess it may be due to your addon:) And I'm right:)

Thanks for your update the it now works.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads