Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

Flickr grandfathered Pro subscriptions
Latest: 49 minutes ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 2 days ago

Current Discussion

No upload possible from smartphone
Latest: 12 minutes ago
trying to contact a photographer
Latest: 15 minutes ago
How do you adjust your default location?
Latest: 58 minutes ago
Flickr timing out when uploading from Lightroom Classic CC
Latest: 66 minutes ago
emails re activity on my account
Latest: 2 hours ago
You cannot delete
My "Favorites" star button doesn't seem to work
Many photos not showing up in my Photostream
Accessing flickrmail
Latest: 3 hours ago
How to upload to Flickr
Sort these problems out please.
Bug in taken date interval search (time shift)
Latest: 5 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Topic] Edit your photos on Flickr with Picnik!

Flickr Staff

heather PRO says:

This topic's for you if you'd like to provide feedback regarding the Picnik/Flickr integration, but really, if you have questions about using Picnik itself, please visit Picnik's official Flickr group, Picnikers.

Flickr FAQs are here.
Picnik FAQs are here.

Picnik? On Flickr? Edit your photos, you say?
Check out this post on FlickrBlog for more info.
Posted at 4:16PM, 4 December 2007 PDT ( permalink )
heather (staff) edited this topic ages ago.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 149 replies in [Official Topic] Edit your photos on Flickr with Picnik!)
view photos

iansand PRO says:

Well that worked rather well. Excellent plan.
Posted ages ago. ( permalink )

view photos

enchanted home says:

I'm seeing spinning Flash (?) cogwheels of slowness with nothing coming up at the moment. (update: it finally ended with a Whoops! Was Not Able To Retrieve Your PIcture).

latest Firefox, OS X (version = not Leopard)

Hosting this on the picnix infrastructure seeing traffic is presumably huge here may not have been the best plan?

I'll stick with Lightroom for everything, but I just wanted to check it out.

Another nice feature might be to disable the edit button if we disable Pixnix. Why waste screen real estate for buttons that do not do anything? Just gets cluttery that way. I understand why the button is there for those that do not yet know about the feature, but am still a bit careful about what API keys I grant write access to. (Security being compromised at any of them would be very very bad -- this is why it seems like it would be better if Flickr hosted this feature themselves)

view photos

Walwyn PRO says:

Will it still fuxor the URLs

view photos

enchanted home says:

Fair point -- Editing a photo shouldn't mangle the URL like changing it's privacy settings does.

That breaks blogging a good bit if you upload a photo and now decide to make it black and white, etc.

view photos

buckedchuck says:

Hello - we're tracking the cogwheel\slowness issue now. Will update when we have more information.

- Charlie, Picnik.com

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin PRO says:

It does change the URL to the file, like standard replacement of the photo does now. (In essence, this also replaces the image.)

view photos

peteshep PRO says:

A Flickr Picnik!
Just to say that, although I have PS, how effective and straightforward the new Flickr Edit by Picnik is! A valuable link and enhancement for many! :-)
Enjoying.

view photos

Flickr Staff

George says:

Yee har! Thanks peteshep :)

view photos

kkalyan says:

Simple & Sweet, Thanks !

view photos

brainwidth says:

Great, so even though I'm a Pro Flickr member, I don't have access to the premium editing tools. Does that make me a semi-pro? Frustrating.

view photos

iansand PRO says:

brainwidth Did you click on the "Edit Photo" button in the row of icons above your photo?

view photos

brainwidth says:

iansand: yes, but go to the create tab of the picnik interface. a number of those features are "premium" picknik features.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Dunstan PRO says:

brainwidth: "even though I'm a Pro Flickr member, I don't have access to the premium editing tools"

Our Picnik integration is just a handy way of connecting the two sites. If you want access to Picnik's premium features you would have to upgrade to Picnik Preminum (just as if you were using picnik.com as a stand-alone site).

But you'd pay Picnik, not us.

[Edited for clarity, hopefully.]
Dunstan (staff) edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Silly Luis says:

Fine! I guess ex-Y! Photoers will be a bit happier.
Now, to wait for the translations of the FAQ :-)

view photos

Flickr Staff

hitherto says:

lucamar: FAQ translations should be there in all languages now.

view photos

Jenn ♥ says:

I've been staring at the cog wheels for a few minutes now, but the actual process of fixing red-eye was QUICK. I hope this works out well, because it seems like a great addition to Flickr! :)

view photos

myfear says:

Wow. Great toy. Here are my first thougts (take it as feedback please):
1) Nice interface but not too smoothly integrated. Looks and feels weired because of the different interface using methods.
2) IE7 and Flash 9 (9,0,47,0) is very slow ... (> 1 Minute to load the interface) Maybe a better loader would help ...
3) I personaly would highly appreciate if you could hide everything I can not use. It is not shure on the first hand, what the premium things are all about (reading helps, for shure .. but I am talking about first impressions). What about an flickr rebate? For me the $25 are far off. There are many low- or no-cost things out there.

view photos

rocurti says:

All of the most interesting aspects of Picnick are Premium features. However, it makes no sense to me to pay an annual fee to use a program, when I can buy a much better one (Photoshop Elements for example) for a one-time price and then use it for years. Not to mention the many excellent free programs available on the internet, such as IrfanView.

view photos

Dr. Keats PRO says:

There have been a great many Forum threads from users who want a means of editing images after they've been uploaded to Flickr - this is the solution.

Yes, you can use a graphics program on your own computer (that's usually pointed out pretty quickly in the aforementioned threads!) - but not everyone has or even wants one...

view photos

♥ shhexy corin ♥ PRO says:

Neat.

The page title that appears in a tab is a bit nonsensical
/nerd

view photos

Oliver Beattie PRO says:

Hey, love the integration.

I've been using Picnik for quite a while now anyway, so this only makes it easier. I've always wondered though -- why is the image resolution always reduced (for me anyway) to 74% of the original size?

view photos

Dr. Keats PRO says:

Mine's reduced to 83%. Perhaps the level of reduction is dependent on which action you're performing? I'm boosting contrast...

view photos

guido waldenmeier says:

What have you done flickr staff ?
JESUS ;)
now i must look at millions of xmas cards in the next few weeks on flickr ;)

view photos

Azchael PRO says:

good idea, but premium features for 25$ per year... hmmm I would prefer an integrated solution in the flickr pro account or even better: a flickr pro account modell with options. So that one time I subscribe to Flickr Pro I get a page with options for other premium services attached, such as Picnik....

view photos

Stevekin PRO says:

_mpd_ Don't forget you can save a copy instead of replacing if you wish to retain links to the original. Just link to the edited version from the original :)

view photos

Chrisser PRO says:

How does somebody link to the edited version of the original that somebody has uploaded from their own computer providing it is one of theirs originally?

And I see when loading Picnik that sometimes you see phrases like Warming breezes, Floating kites, and Applying sunscreens.

Also, for any creation made and not replacing any photo I've uploaded originally, in addition to saving those creations on my computer, can I send them in private e-mails to those not on Flickr?

view photos

enchanted home says:

"Don't forget you can save a copy instead of replacing if you wish to retain links to the original. Just link to the edited version from the original :)"

Basically, I want to do the opposite. Replace an existing photo without having to edit the blog posting. I'm hosting the blog, it just saves me a couple of clicks to fix things in Wordpress (which I frequently forget to do).

Not a big deal though, really.

view photos

jpdoyle PRO says:

This is a great development. I was already fond of Picnik - my only criticism is how it often downsizes the edited photo to 83% of the source size when saving it back to Flickr.

view photos

Flickr Staff

hitherto says:

oBeattie, Dr Keats, jpdoyle: Regarding the image size reduction, we did actually put a note in the FAQ, just here.

Basically, the largest image size which Picnik can output is 2800x2800.

From what I understand, this is a current limitation of Flash's image handling, so it's not something we can immediately fix, but we're hoping that the limitation will go away in the future.

Chrisser: Photos edited using the integration are just like any of your other images on Flickr, so you can save your image to your machine, create a Guest Pass for others to view it, or use any of the other ways you'd normally use to share it with others.

The "warming breezes" etc. messages are part of Picnik's pre-loading screen which should show up whenever you open the feature, but... currently don't. I'm looking into why that's happening.

view photos

fluttering button says:

Fantastic new feature. Many thanks for this addition! A big smile on the face of this Photoshop Dummy! :D

Bravo Flickr!

view photos

Zarazz says:

Nice addition. Hopefully it will get a bit faster when the newness wears off.

view photos

Grant H says:

'Premium' features? If this is a partnership and I'm spending my money on a Flickr Pro account, I don't expect to have to dish out more money.

I'm sure people can argue that these are extra features and therefore require the extra cost, but come on...

view photos

Walwyn PRO says:

I'm sure people can argue that these are extra features and therefore require the extra cost, but come on...

If I wanted to advance edit a photo I wouldn't be doing it online, I'd be using a desktop app. Could be useful for minor tweaks but as it still kills the URL there is no real advantage over doing it on your own machine.

view photos

werewegian PRO says:

Still it's quite nice for a quick fix. I'm sure a lot of people not editing before upload will be very happy.

view photos

metroblossom PRO says:

Is "Replace Photo" consequently gone? I don't see it. Have you moved it somewhere else? I absolutely need this function. Thanks.

EDIT: It looks like it's back now.

view photos

Chrisser PRO says:

Thanks, Simon. I just decided to save each creation on my computer and tried using regular e-mail to send one of the creations to a friend not on Flickr and it worked.

view photos

eτi says:

The new button redirects me to a site where I have to pay to fully use it. Not a good idea.
Whether it's Picnik or something else, it should be free at least for Flickr Pro members - now the button is just an ad in disguise.

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather PRO says:

.eti, really? There's a variety of free photo edit options.

What's the link that you land on when you click "edit photo"?

view photos

eτi says:

Well, picnik.com. Tried it out a few weeks ago when it wasn't linked to Flickr and got disappointed after five minutes because even simple effects like dropshadows must be paid for.

I thought it would be better now it's inside Flickr - either we wouldn't see the paid things or we would get them included.

But as it is now, it's just an incentive to spend 25 dollars more.

And I now have so many buttons that they're on two rows (because I have an extra one called Instant Zoom)

Never mind, I now used the RIP add-on for Firefox to get rid of the superfluous buttons (Qoop and Picnik), that appears to work. (edit: Not all the time. Trying Adblock)
eτi edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Poplanta PRO says:

This is great - easy to use and I will be upgrading for the extras!! Thanks I had been using ArcSoft on my system which is cool but this will be easier! Thanks!!! Eric - Nice surprise since the last few months there had not been many annoucments - this was a good one!

view photos

abiding snails says:

The collaboration between Flickr and Picnik was a great idea and a very nice surprise.

I will enjoy using Picnik for quick fixes.

Thank you!

view photos

Chrisser PRO says:

Will other holidays, such as New Year's Day, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter and Thanksgiving Day also have free graphics, borders and fonts? I am hoping so, because I don't want to pay for the Premium services.

view photos

Flickr Staff

George says:

You'll need to ask Picnik that, Chrisser :)

view photos

Kim Taylor Hull PRO says:

I gave it test run.. no errors, no slowness worked like a charm.

view photos

Sodabowski says:

Doesn't work here... I have the oh-so-cute Flickr animated logo, but nothing happens.
OS X 10.4.9 and Safari.

view photos

KeithMokris says:

I think its a great idea. I think the main use I have with Picnik is to watermark photos as soon as they're uploaded. It would be cool if you could save simple settings for watermarks so they're always available. It would be great if the interface were more customizable so we don't need to see all the stupid symbols and graphics that have to reason to be near photos.

view photos

peteshep PRO says:

Keith: Yes., but: I'm no expert, however, thanks to Bright-hat Brenda I notice that at the Flickr Picnik you can easily Create>Shapes, under Photo Licenses there's a copyright © symbol you can add, size, reposition, Fade, colour etc. (You could also easily add initials and date).

view photos

present cactus says:

Chrisser - we love doing festive shapes and fonts for holidays. Count on lots of great new stuff going forward.

Working with Sodabowski offline re: Safari issue. Will post result once we've figured it out.

- Charlie, Picnik.com

view photos

Chrisser PRO says:

Thanks, George from the staff and thanks, Charlie from Picnik.com, for the info. :-)

BTW, nice icon, Heather from the staff. :-)

view photos

Brenda Anderson PRO says:

I don't know if this is a Flickr or a Picnik problem.

Using Mac OSX 10.5.1 with Safari 3.0.4, when my photo pops up in Picnik after clicking Edit Photo, I get this message:

www.flickr.com says:
Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?

You have unsaved changes.

Click OK to continue, or click Cancel to stay on this page.

If I click OK, it takes me back to Flickr.
If I click Cancel, it stays in the Picnik interface.

I don't know why the error message pops up.

view photos

V@n PRO says:

Well, I would imagine that merely opening the file has changed that copy of it.

OK abandons those changes, and Cancel returns you to a place where you can Save and/or actively do some editing.

I have no interest in trying this feature to tell for sure, but that agrees with how I've seen other software behave.

view photos

Yes, but that pop up only happens on Safari, not on Firefox. Maybe it's a Safari "problem" then.

I use FF normally, so I'm not too bothered.

view photos

Flickr Staff

hitherto says:

Brenda: Hmm. I thought we'd squashed that bug, but perhaps not.

Just opening the image will never change the copy of it on your Flickr account - we (and Picnik) don't do anything to your photos unless you actually choose a "Save" option.

We'll make sure this Safari niggle is removed tomorrow...

view photos

Thanks hitherto. :)

view photos

V@n PRO says:

It doesn't sound like a bug. It sounds like a design decision. Bugs are unintentional problems.

Flickr's sugar-coating lately seems too thick.

view photos

BigBean PRO says:

this is a fun and easy new feature.
Cool integration, flickr peeps!

One thought- when you get to the 'do you want to replace your photo on flickr' stage, a little (red and bold?) warning about the possible implications of the replacement would be good.

Replacement has some repercussions that many people don't realise...

view photos

Flickr Staff

Dunstan PRO says:

Brenda Anderson: "Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?"

I have that problem too, so it is on the fix list.

And van swearingen, it's not a feature, it's a bug. Something in Safari cancels the Picnik window when it loads, as though you yourself had clicked "Cancel".

We just need to track down what's going on there.

view photos

Flickr Staff

hitherto says:

Okay, we've tracked down what the errant Safari behaviour is.

We're working with Picnik now to come up with a fix.

view photos

Alaina's PhotoPhile says:

I love you.

view photos

Sandi - (Very Busy Lady!) PRO says:

If I use it for nothing else but the borders..............I am happy!!!

view photos

www.robinryan.ca says:

shame that the only thing i'm interested in, the borders, are unavailable. shouldnt pro users get free access to this? just saying, since we already pay for flickr.

view photos

robinryan wrote

he borders, are unavailable.
If you look closely, you'll see that the border function is included in the free version.

view photos

gbaku PRO says:

Sounds like a great feature! Unfortunately, all I get are blue and red spheres circling one another endlessly. I'm running mac OS 10.3.9.

view photos

gbaku PRO says:

I changed the browser from Opera to Firefox and it worked fine.

view photos

Bug report with Tags: (after testing this other forum post)

If you have any commas inside your tags, then Picnik uses it as a delimiter and runs everything on either side of the comma together. Also, if your tags are long, there seems to be a maximum total length that gets posted back to Flickr.

Example:

The (testing) tags on the photo are:

Dock

And on Picnik, that translates to this:

Dock

And when you hit save, the new photo on Flickr has:

Dock

(run together and truncated)

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin PRO says:

Yep, perfect example of that, thanks!

view photos

heehee.

Nice Christmas icon, Kevin.

Very dapper.

view photos

Wayne Lam (Ramius) PRO says:

I have problem with the "Text" feature!

If I use flickr's English interface, I'm not allowed to type Chinese characters inside the "Type here and click Add to place text" edit box.

If I change flickr's interface to Chinese, then I can add Text in Chinese, but it won't show correctly.

view photos

gary-cheong says:

I suddenly have problems when I click the Edit Photo button on Flickr. It brings me to Picnik but the page stops loading. It was working last week but now it's not. I'm using IE 7 browser.

I can edit photos if I sign on directly to Picnik and pull up my Flickr photos from there.

Anyone else having ths problem?

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather PRO says:

If I use flickr's English interface, I'm not allowed to type Chinese characters inside the "Type here and click Add to place text" edit box.

Wayne Lam (Ramius), That sounds like a Flash issue within Picnik... Could you please pass that info back to the team in their Group:

www.flickr.com/groups/picnikers

gary-cheong, I'll see if we can replicate that at this end.

view photos

present cactus says:

Wayne Lam (Ramius) - we're aware of the issue with Chinese (also Korean, btw). Supporting the fonts for the Text feature for both languages is not yet implemented, but should be in the near future.

Gary-cheong - not able to repro here, can I ask you to Force Refresh Picnik by pressing Ctrl+F5. Next step is to go Tools:Options: and Delete Files.

- Charlie, Picnik.com

view photos

Flickr Staff

hitherto says:

Brenda: thanks for the example on that tag bug. Should help hugely in getting a speedy resolution.

view photos

madcache says:

handy::: i'm in process of 'longliveladydell'. before i dump files from my gracefully aging pc 2 the newborn, i've had 2 upload fotos almost 'straight from the bottle'; just 2 get the job done. picnik helps w minor/necessary corrections. sofarsogood.

view photos

gary-cheong says:

buckedchuckpro... I've tried the refresh, then Tools, Options, Delete Files. Still does not work. I've Put both Flickr and Picnik in IE's Trusted Zone and that didn't work either.

view photos

present cactus says:

Working with gary-cheong offline, will post results here if helpful once we sort it.

Charlie, Picnik.com

view photos

lol-ita says:

I haven't been able to use the edit function at all. I've given Picnik permission to access my account, but when I click Edit Photo, I just get those two aqua & pink flickr spheres rotating ad infinitum. I let this go on for up to 30 mins., nothing. I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Mac OS 10.4.11.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm trying it on private photos, because I don't want to post the photo publicly till I edit it... could this be the problem?

view photos

present cactus says:

Working with lol-ita offline...

- Charlie, Picnik.com

view photos

slowernet says:

I know that this makes me a grinch, and that it's not a feature I'd have much call for anyway, but I do want to say that it is sort of irritating to me that in "Create" > "Shapes", there are 5 or 6 explicitly Christmas-related free shape sets, and none pertaining to any other traditions or holidays.

Otherwise, nice job on the integration to both teams.
slowernet edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

ThunderRoadPictures says:

Not sure if these are being addressed?

1) When a pic is rotated in Picnik the rotate setting is not retained when it's copied back to Flickr. Looks like all other setting are retain though.
2) Batch editing? Is this available?

view photos

More to rotate issue:

If i rote it in Flickr then use Piccnik to edit , Flickr loses the rotation setting.

If I open it in Picnik and rotate it there, when it is imported back to Flickr the rotate settings are lost.

view photos

Singne says:

I have the exact same problem as lol-ita, above. Have tried many times, both Firefox and Safari. My computer is also Mac OS 10.4.11
(but my photos aren't private so I know that's not the problem.)

view photos

I think the rotating thing is because Flickr doesn't actually rotate your image when you use the interface to do so. It just rotates how it is displayed. Presumably the same thing happens with Picnik?

view photos

Chrisser PRO says:

I am glad Dunstan Orchard says there is going to be a look into the part about the Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page? problem, which also shows up when you clear your browser's cache and reload/refresh the screen when Picnik is taking a long time to download the photo you are editing to either save as another image or to replace the original image.

view photos

Hi shhexy...if i rotate it in Picnik it still loses the setting and Flickr displays it wrong. I've also had it flip the picture upside down when going back into Flickr.

view photos

buckedchuck says:

ThunderRoadPictures, Shhexycorin - we're looking at the rotate issue.

Chrisser - we've got a fix for the Nav Away issue, will be deployed soon.

Singne - haven't heard back from lol-ita on the Safari issue. I'll get you similar things to try offline and we'll see if yours clears up.

- Charlie, Picnik.com

view photos

ColleenM says:

A friend was having trouble getting to Picnik using Safari.

First we had to download and install the most current version of Java

Then we had to navigate back to the front page of Picnik and download the latest Flash Player version from that page.

view photos

cute nest says:

i've been having the same problem ...also running Mac O S X (not Leopard) and using FireFox....

experienced the same using Safari.

o..O
cute nest edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Thanks buckedchuck !a

view photos

Is there a batch edit option? If not, is it forthcoming?

view photos

present cactus says:

I suggested Singne uninstall current Flash Player and install the very latest from Adobe and sounds like that fixed the issue. This may not be the solution for everyone having Mac OS\Safari issues, but is a good\easy place to start. Here's the 2 links for others interested in trying...

Please uninstall first: kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_141...

Then go here to reinstall the latest: www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

Thanks - Charlie, Picnik.com

view photos

present cactus says:

ThunderRoadPictures - currently no batch edit option, but a very highly requested feature. We're looking at it!

Thanks - Charlie, Picnik.com

view photos

rain-b says:

If I click the 'edit photo' option above any of my photos all I get is two dots in the middle of the screen for ages until I give up waiting.

view photos

zyrcster PRO says:

rain-b Make sure you have the latest Flash version installed on your system.

view photos

Chrisser PRO says:

Oh, and my absolute favourite part of the Picnik site is the Vignette, or darkening of photo edges. I usually do the Vignette effect twice on photos already on Flickr before choosing the option to upload a new image, along with linking the original photo used to make the modification as part of the description. And Picnik's Vignette is much easier and better than Photoshop for me. :-)

view photos

Joe Shlabotnik PRO says:

When I'm at home on Mac OS 10.4.11, I have the same problem that others have noted:

"I haven't been able to use the edit function at all. I've given Picnik permission to access my account, but when I click Edit Photo, I just get those two aqua & pink flickr spheres rotating ad infinitum. I let this go on for up to 30 mins., nothing. I'm running Firefox 2.0.0.11 on Mac OS 10.4.11."

This is the same problem Mac OS 10.4.11 users have with the new Flickr Uploadr, by the way.

view photos

Joe Shlabotnik PRO says:

Picnik does work for me on a Linux machine - it's nice and easy to use, but I have a major problem with it...

I have photos with 2480 x 3296 resolution. When I use Picnik to remove red-eye, the photos then get saved as 2106 x 2800 resolution! I just happened to notice this after editing a bunch of photos :-(

In other words, Picnik shrinks my photos without telling me. After testing this again, I am sure that Picnik does not let me know that it's going to do this. This is not very nice. Why is it shrinking my photos and how can I get it to stop?

view photos

Silly Luis says:

This must be a joke:

Maldicin!

I don't mind that the message appears (I'm sure it has something to do with my network connection) but, c'mon! Can't you find a better translator? :-P

view photos

Joe Shlabotnik wrote

Why is it shrinking my photos and how can I get it to stop?
I think it's a limit of the Flash application. Picnik can only handle up to 2800x2800, so if your image is wider than that, it will be shrunk. It is mentioned in the FAQ, but the FAQ does say it will ask you first ... I'm pretty sure that it doesn't, though. :(

view photos

Joe Shlabotnik PRO says:

Yeah, it totally didn't ask me. :-(

Well, if that's the case, and it's not going to change, then I'm afraid I can't use Picnik anymore for my newest photos. What a shame.

view photos

steveler says:

@lucamar:

Can you tell us what's wrong with the translation? We'll forward it on to Picnik's translation team. Unfortunately, we don't have any native Spanish speakers here at Picnik.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 149 replies in [Official Topic] Edit your photos on Flickr with Picnik!)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads