Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here
Latest: 43 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Flickr downtime on May 22 and site issues since then. (PLEASE REPLY HERE)
Latest: 3 hours ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 6 hours ago
[Official Thread] A new way to stay informed about site performance issues.
Latest: 11 hours ago
[investigating, staff reply] Stats, Statistics, Lost Views!
Latest: 34 hours ago
Thank you Flickr tech people!
Latest: 10 days ago
[Official Thread] Scheduled downtime on May 22, plus more updates on speed & stability
Latest: 2 weeks ago

Current Discussion

Explore
Latest: 20 minutes ago
How can i sell pictures through Flickr?
Latest: 82 minutes ago
Cannot upload
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Flickr Migration] I can not set new password/ step 2 in Migration procedure
Latest: 4 hours ago
Searching tags on my own photos results in significant number of missing images
Is FLICKR trying to discourage use???
First account disapeared and now my username has changed
Latest: 5 hours ago
How to downgrade from Pro to Free
Latest: 6 hours ago
How do you get Flickr to review your Account?
Latest: 7 hours ago
Login issue with new account
Latest: 8 hours ago
Goodbye Flickr.
A mysterious place with no name
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Topic] PayPal is back! (please see staff update)

Flickr Staff

heather says:

PayPal was rolled back into Yahoo! Wallet in the wee hours of the night (yay!). Thanks for everyones patience in the last few months.

This topic is for you if you have difficulty with the new implementation. In some cases we may direct you to contact billing support in Help by Email.

-------

STAFF UPDATES

6/5/08: If you are having trouble paying with PayPal please see this update for suggestions

11/30/07: Early reports lead me to believe that we've resolved the issue of members not being able to pay when they have sufficient funds in their PayPal account or ELV. Woot!

Previous updates:
11/29/07: Good news: It looks like that there's going to be a deploy of a few translation tweaks and a bug fix for the adequate funds/PayPal & ELV issue tonight.

11/26/07 -- If you're having difficulty, please see my request for information below.
Posted at 6:24AM, 21 November 2007 PDT ( permalink )
Zack Sheppard (staff) edited this topic ages ago.

← prev 1 2 3
(1 to 100 of 256 replies in [Official Topic] PayPal is back! (please see staff update))
view photos

The English Bohemian says:

Yeah, I have problems with it! D: As per my last comment, it keeps asking to add a card, no matter that I tell it I want paypal. When i click to pay via paypal i get 'please add a card to continue purchasing.'

Don't have a credit card, never did. Is this because I'm in Australia? It won't accept my debit card because we don't have verification numbers. But really, all I should need is my email, yes?

Looking forward to sorting this out, I reeeally need a pro account! :)
Posted ages ago. ( permalink )

view photos

abaco8888 says:

I thought the deal here was that with PP you didn't need a CC, I thought they took on line checks?? Have I been waiting around for this, and it's just another CC payment option?

view photos

righteous train says:

I just went through the proccess, didn't get very far when they stopped me until I put in a CC? What gives??

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather says:

abaco8888, i purchased a gift account this morning via PayPal this morning via PayPal without any difficulty. Have you tried to bu via PayPal?

Gecko88 and Robes of Earth, so that I understand, you go to walled, select additional payment methods, check PayPal and then when you're bounced over to PayPal, you get a message that you need to add a credit card to complete the transaction? Do you have existing PayPal accounts or do you have to create a new one?

view photos

that's the jist of it yes. I have an existing paypal account, even when i sign into it when instructed I still get the credit card request.

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather says:

Robes, OK, let me run this by the peeps here. We didn't run into this during our extensive testing.

view photos

Pixel Wrangler says:

FWIW, I have experienced this "condition" on other e-commerce sites with a PayPal option.

I use a particular site almost daily, and pay via credit card. They added a "PayPal option" -- which I tried, once, (to use up an existing balance).

The process took me to the PayPal site, where I logged in, but was greeted with a "PayPal message" that essentially said I couldn't use my PayPal account features for this particular transaction ... I could only use PayPal to pay via credit card.

Essentially it was only offering a different (credit) card-merchant solution.

view photos

darkthirty says:

I paid twice in the past without a CC. I thought the whole point of this was to allow those of us without plastic to do that again?!?!?

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather says:

darkthirty, I bought a gift account this morning without a cc. PayPal only -- so it does work as expected.

It looks like there may be some policy around certain kinds of PayPal accounts that we've yet to determine and figure out why.

view photos

Farruska says:

same here, just tested and with my pre-existing Paypal account it asks me to add a credit card to be able to perform the buy-an-account transaction......
some additional info:
my paypal account was never used with a CC and never had a CC associated to it and is connected to my bank account with Giropay.
I'm in Germany

oh and btw, how does one remove a payment method from the checkout page ? there's only the option to add new payment methods but none to remove existing ones...

(edit for additional info and question)
Farruska edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

busb says:

Same as Farruska but I'm in the UK but my a/c has been extended still further so I'll not worry (yet!)

Regards

view photos

AustinTX says:

Mine simply failed:

Flickr Pro Account Purchase
We are unable to process your PayPal request. Please try again later.

The later was in a big pink box with a red X at the front.

view photos

AustinTX says:

Well, I tried it again and it worked, so it must have just been a temporary issue. But the process is confusing. You have to add Paypal, then go all the way back to Flickr and start your payment process again.

That works, but I would suggest a link to actually paying on the confirmation page that Paypal has been added as a method.

At any rate, here is one account extended with Paypal (although the terms of service say a whole lot about giving Yahoo the right to name your firstborn and similar conditions, kind of upsetting).
AustinTX edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

bazzadarambler says:

Paypal works! Hallelujah!

view photos

You're a lucky one bazzadarambler. Still doesn't work for me. ) :

At this stage I'm saying it's because I have an Australian account. It's a verified one, and I don't see how it should be different than any other account. I have all the other typical features. But it's not working.

view photos

PaulCabby says:

Same here. I've waited for the paypal payment option because my bank gave me a crappy card which most places don't accept. Apart from paypal (because it accepts direct debit) :(

view photos

Dr. Keats says:

Robes - I'm in Australia, too, and I use PayPal all the time, including for the purchase of several gifted Flickr Pro accounts. All these are funded from my bank balance, not a credit card or debit card (although I do have a credit card as back-up funding source).

Never had a problem....

I notice from your post in the earlier thread, that your bank account is linked to your PayPal account - I see absolutely no reason why it won't let you draw funds from that.

Sounds suspiciously like a bug - and given the extended wait for PayPal to come back, one which needs sorting ASAFP!.
Dr. Keats edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

SaraAmberOZ says:

Hi Robes and Dr. Keats.

I am in Australia to and hope to update my Pro and buy one for a friend and been waiting for PayPal to come back. My account doesn't run out until the 10th Dec. Think I will wait and see if any bugs around before trying to pay. I haven't used PayPal before but dont want to use my cards.

Guess I had better just watch and read and see what happens.

view photos

I've been waiting to get a pro account since....June. I was so excited to finally be able to get one via Paypal, and now it won't work! So close yet so far! >_<

I'm going to have to resort to getting a friend to buy one with his credit card and just giving him the money if this isn't resolved by tonight- I want to upload more photos!

view photos

Dr. Keats says:

Robes - check your Inbox....

view photos

Hans Monasso says:

Here from Holland, same problems too. When choosing Paypal, it asks for a creditcard and I cannot continue. I will now try to buy a giftcertificate but as the problem is in the Paypal section I dont think it will work.

Checked it: same problem. I logged into paypal the direct way and this works ok and I can check my account. Via Flickr/Yahoo the problems stay. My account ends 1 dec. so I am in bit of a hurry.
Hans Monasso edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Just letting the team know, I now have a paid account! Yay! But it was a gift from a kind-hearted gentleman- so there is still a problem with the system, as Hans Monsasso pointed out. Here's hoping it's fixed before I need to renew!

view photos

lakim says:

Hi, my account was extended so I can use the Paypal- payment, but now it doesn't work without cc. I use my Paypal- account often to pay without cc, but for some reason it doesn't work with my flickr/yahoo- account.
I have a German Paypal- account, and it normaly offers the possibility to pay without cc.

So now I have 3 days left to extend, but still no possibility to pay for it!

view photos

PaulCabby says:

Hmm lets hope its fixed soooooonish! :P i need a pro account ;_;

view photos

Mifeng' says:

Having the same problem~

i want to buy a pro account, too :)

view photos

julimond1960 says:

Me too from Germany and paypal without credit card doesn't run. :-((

view photos

listenitsmorning says:

i'm from singapore and i've never had any problem with paypal :x but when i tried to pay for a pro account using paypal it only asked me to add a new credit/debit card, which kind of defeats the purpose of using paypal.

i tried adding paypal as a payment method on yahoo wallet but it just STILL asked me to add a new credit/debit card :/

i looked around on this thread and on the old thread and there's something about changing the source of funding...? but i couldn't find it :( help, anybody?

view photos

grey battle says:

Paypal still says that Flickr recieved the money for the pro account:

e-mail from paypal: (translated by google into english)

Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 14:58:55 +0000
To: simply_me77@hotmail.de
Subject: RE: Send payment (RIB: C276-L004-T11084-S111-W00L000) (KMM2353014I96L0KM)

Dear Mrs. Asia Al Haffar,

Thank you for your inquiry to PayPal. My name is Sara Bauer, and I
Look forward to you regarding your request help.

In your e-mail to ask you, what happened with the payment to paypal@flickr.com.

Mrs. Al Haffar, after viewing your PayPal account, I discovered
That the amount of $ 24.95 USD on 3 July 2007.

"Finished" means that the recipient has received your payment.

I hope I could help you, and wish you a
Beautiful day.

Sincerely,
Sara Bauer

PayPal conflict resolution department, a eBay-Unternehmen

Copyright © 1999-2007 PayPal. All rights reserved.
PayPal (Europe) S.à rl & Cie SCA
Société en Commandite par Actions

Registered head office: 22-24 Boulevard Royal,
5ème étage, L-2449 Luxembourg, Luxembourg RCS B 118 349

Now I really wonder where my money has gone?!?
I wish Flickr could have a look for it again!!!

view photos

clumsy stocking says:

Oh, it seems Paypal didn't work as good as it was working before :-(

I just tried to buy a flickr gift vertificate with paypal and unfortunately its not possible to pay instantely as it was possible before the paypal was shut down the first time.

I'ts quite disappointing :-( as I was expecting it will work as good as before where the pro account was updated INSTANTELY after the payment... Now it just says:

>FlickrHQ has received your order for $24.95 worth of Pro Account >goodness, BUT, we are still processing your transaction. We're not >exactly sure when your payment will go through, so we'll send you >an email when your transaction is complete.

I hope it will go through soon.

view photos

clumsy stocking says:

Gift Code now there :):D Yeah :)

view photos

Farruska says:

Andreas how were you even able to pay with paypal ?
I've tried again, and I still get the "To complete your purchase, please add a new credit card or debit card." message with my paypal (account verified) +german CMZB account ?

view photos

clumsy stocking says:

Somewhere there was a small link next to the credit card input that was bring me to my paypal and then it ask me to accept that yahoo will have access to my paypal to collect the money themselves. So I think its integrated in yahoo wallet, all yahoo wallet payments will deducted then automatically from paypal without authorizing it at all.

Maybe you just didn't see the small link. If its different for you, then I don't know as paypal itself didn't ask for Credit card it just was yahoo, but this could be bypassed with the small paypal link that was on the right side next to the credit card input form.

view photos

PaulCabby says:

i get that. but then it brings me to a page where i log into paypal. then it tells me too add another credit/debit card :/

view photos

zany loaf says:

same here, after having followed the pp link from wallet and having properly logged into my paypal account, it keeps telling me to add a card ... the url is paypal ok....

paypal didn't ever ask me for cards in any other shops (since i don't have any). why does it if i login from yahoo wallet?

view photos

Miles S. says:

Same problem here :(

view photos

Farruska says:

exactely as PaulCabby described.... , whenn trying to add Paypal as payment method on Y!wallet and after being redirected to the Paypal login page (inside Yahoo frame), I get the "to complete the purchase, please add a new credit card or debit card" with no chance to do otherwise.

view photos

Su℮ ❥ says:

Just extended account!

So glad paypal is back and worked !

xD

view photos

momcat14c says:

Heather:

Oh, for God's sake!! I am so aggravated right now!! I DON"T HAVE A CREDIT CARD, so I have been waiting for paypal to come back, and now I STILL can't pay thru paypal because it wants me to add a credit card!

What the heck was the point of all of us waiting for waiting for paypal to come back, if we have to pay with a card we don't have??

I checked the pages very carefully, and I didn't see the link that Andreas said was on his page.
momcat14c edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

lakim says:

Hey! Tomorrow my account expires.
Please reply to this problem in some manner.

view photos

Bear in Mind says:

HI, I'm having a payment problem too. I log in to Paypal, but they ask me to add No. of CC. WHY?

view photos

Hans Monasso says:

This is starting to get dramatic. Only a few days left. Must look around for something else if this isn't fixed properly and quickly. Where is the staff reaction on this problem?

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather says:

SaraAmberOZ, It would be helpful if you did try to pay now. That would give us more info if the bug is more regional or if it's specific to certain kinds of PayPal accounts.

Otherwise, I've gone through the topic and gifted pro to those having difficulty.

We're collecting info regarding those having issues and sharing with Wallet developers. I don't expect any resolution this weekend given that it's one of the biggest holidays for those in the US (Thanksgiving).

I will provide updates as I have info to share.

Thanks for everyone's patiences.

view photos

PaulCabby says:

cheers heather :)

hope you guys fix it soon :)

view photos

Miles S. says:

Thanks for the update Heather and happy holidays. If it helps at all I live in the UK and am having this problem.

view photos

lakim says:

Thanks for the Update.

view photos

dsbaars says:

Thank you very very much! I really wanted a Flickr Pro account but I didn't have a credit card, luckily PayPal allows other payment options than just credit cards so now I could buy me one.

view photos

cteresa says:

I was taking a look, and so far I was directed to the paypal site but then on was directed to having to click on
"I authorize Yahoo, Inc. to use the available funding sources in my PayPal account based on PayPal's default preferences for future payments. PayPal will not share my financial information with this merchant.
How does it work?"

The How Does it work link is not particularly helpful, and no, I got no intention to give yahoo any permits to use the funding sources for "future payments"! That is the vaguest wording ever! I, and only I, would like to be the one deciding how to use my paypal sources for any future payments. I am sorry, this completely put me off, and I am not even interested in a pro account anymore. I managed all these months without one, can manage a bit more till I cool off about this or the authorization requirement gets changed.

view photos

Yatzi says:

I second that, cteresa

view photos

Bear in Mind says:

HI Heather,

Thank you for extending my accout! I hope that you can resolve the problem quickly. Happy Holidays.

view photos

phunkdust says:

Also getting the "add a credit card to continue transaction" problem. Was pretty excited when I saw paypal was back, hopefully the bug can be figured out. Fortunately I've got a bit left on my subscription.

view photos

Vieira says:

heather replied me:

why can't people from Brazil have Y! Wallet?
That would be a question for the Brazilian authorities.

Well what about the portuguese-speaking people outside Brazil that only registered on Y!.br to have it in their mother tongue? How is the people from the other 7 portuguese speaking countries and those brazilians living outside Brazil paying?

Last time I checked, I had to have an address in Brazil in order to pay. I'd never have guessed it would be hard to send money to a business. Is there anyway I can move my Yahoo! account from their brazilian headquarters?

view photos

Our Tobias says:

OKay great. So I go to renew my pro account ... and it's also asking me to add a credit card or debit card. Well the only ones I *have* are already added!

I can't add what I do not have. This really bites. :(

And now my pro account is gone.

view photos

Farruska says:

actually I'm good for several months now so I'm not particularly stressed over this paypal bug. I'm willing tough to give any further useful information other than the ones I already gave in order to help you guys (staff) sort this thing out.
But

cteresa does raise a pretty good question the Staff should clarify

also:

how does one *remove* a payment method from Y!wallet? If I'm to use Paypal (when it works properly of course), I do not wish that my CC information remains on y!wallet and vice-versa. So how do I remove a payment method ?? sorry can't seem to find any visible function for that, therefore I ask.

view photos

Elwyn / Elwynsattic says:

Paypal should be a separate entity from Yahoo--I've never seen anything about Yahoo or Yahoo wallet when I log into paypal. If you don't already have a paypal account it is fairly straightforward to set one up--I've been using a paypal account for years on ebay and I think I paid for my flickr account through paypal. When I set up paypal I registered a bank account and a credit card as a backup.

view photos

SaraAmberOZ says:

Heather

I tried to pay by paypal as you requested. I already have an account with them. However, when I went through the procedure it only came up with Credit Card information. I dont use them I need it to go to my bank account.

Also need urgently to buy a Pro Account for a friend as discussed earlier. My account runs out on the 10th Dec.

Your advice please .

Sara

view photos

Long Zheng says:

Another PayPal Australia user here and I too get the credit card message when checking out with PayPal just after login.

My account expires in 5 days (Dec 2) so I hope this problem gets resolved before it expires.

view photos

halbtuerke says:

I have the same problem here. My Pro account expires tomorrow and when trying to upgrade my account via Paypal it asks me to provide a credit card but I don't have one. Would be nice if someone could fix this issue.

Thanks in advance

view photos

Jim Skea says:

Still no Paypal here in Brazil.

The gift account page gives me Visa and Mastercard as the only options =o(

Before when I paid with Paypal, the amount came up in dollars. Now the gift page quotes the price in Brazilian currency, so it looks as if the payment method has been completely changed and the previous way of payment simply is no longer available.

view photos

Jim Skea says:

And, since we used to be able to use Paypal here in Brazil for years to pay for our Flickr accounts, this can't be down to currency transaction legislation.

view photos

Jim Skea says:

Crazy though it seems, it looks as if the only way around this is going to be
1) open up a new Yahoo! account without the .com.br extension
2) create a new Flickr account linked to that Yahoo! account
3) use Paypal via the new account to buy the gift (and gift my first account when the time comes)

view photos

stmeg says:

I'm from Germany and I've got the same issue:

clicked PayPal ->redirected to PayPal -> getting message to add a CC.

No chance to buy using my normal bank account assigned to paypal.

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather says:

Request for further info for those having difficulty

I just want to confirm that you have sufficient existing funds in your PayPal acount to cover the pro payment.

Current thinking: There may be an issue around sufficient vs. insufficient available funds in the PayPal account. If your PayPal account would be required to pull from your bank account, this might be an issue for "instant payment" status.

Could those who have sufficient funds (ie the full amount to cover $24.95 USD) in their PayPal account please identify themselves? We can then do further research.

If you don't have sufficient funds, you could try pulling the full amount into your PayPal account and then try to purchase pro. Granted, this isn't how PayPal functions elsewhere online, but we're trying to pin down exactly where the issue is coming from.

Thanks for your patience.

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather says:

Jim Skea, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, but post International launch, Brazil comes under their own payment guidelines. We will not be offering PayPal for Brazil.

view photos

stmeg says:

Hello Heather,

I'm from Germany and I will try your idea to "transfer the money from my bank to my paypal account".
Will write back if it works!

view photos

Jim Skea says:

heather, no it wasn't clear because you suggested exactly the opposite here!

I must say I'm more than a little annoyed that, after such a long wait, we in Brazil have effectively been cold-shouldered by Flickr. This place just isn't feeling as welcoming as it used to.

view photos

grey battle says:

And what is with the money I already send on 3rd of July to Flickr via Paypal, which Paypal insures beeing recieved by Flickr?
Still didn´t get an extension for my Account for that.
Paypal surely wont say "recieved" if still pending...don´t you think so?!?

view photos

Chris Funderburg says:

Has anyone gotten this to work from the UK yet? I've been waiting months on end for this to get fixed and it still asks for a credit card.

heather: Im trying to buy two years and have more than enough on paypal to cover it.

view photos

Jim Skea says:

As a matter of interest, can anyone tell me whether the process I outlined here might work?

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

اسيا / me_bellybutton wrote

And what is with the money I already send on 3rd of July to Flickr via Paypal,
Hmm, paypal was not an option for payment back on July. How exactly did you send it?

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather says:

Brazil have effectively been cold-shouldered by Flickr

I don't mean to pick nits, but it's that Brazil has very strict guidelines around money hence the change post International launch.

I was responding to the second statement regarding gifts:

Will Paypal work for buying gift accounts from 20/11?

I'm sorry that my statement was misleading. That was never my intention.

As a matter of interest, can anyone tell me whether the process I outlined here might work?

Theoretically, yes.

And what is with the money I already send on 3rd of July to Flickr via Paypal, which Paypal insures beeing recieved by Flickr?

We were not accepting payments by PayPal from June 12 to November 21. If you sent the money, then you must have sent it directly to an email address. What was that email address?

view photos

Jim Skea says:

Heather, I repeat my statement that, until the "International Launch" (and what a misnomer that has turned out to be) I had no problems paying with Paypal. Since the "internationalisation" of Flickr, I've had nothing but problems. It's funny that those "very strict guidelines around money" seemed to arise exactly on the same day that Flickr went "international", but didn't exist beforehand, and I hope you can understand why I feel marginalised by all this and why I'm just a bit miffed.

view photos

Jim Skea says:

I hope you can also understand why I've been very embarrassed at having to explain why I can't purchase a gift account to someone for whom I said I'd do that.

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather says:

Heather, I repeat my statement that, until the "International Launch" (and what a misnomer that has turned out to be) I had no problems paying with Paypal. Since the "internationalisation" of Flickr, I've had nothing but problems. It's funny that those "very strict guidelines around money" seemed to arise exactly on the same day that Flickr went "international", but didn't exist beforehand, and I hope you can understand why I feel marginalised by all this and why I'm just a bit miffed

I completely understand that you're miffed and it doesn't make sense.

Prior to International, we were all under US Y! Terms of Service and payments. Post international, we're "localized" in certain countries. When that happens, you need to follow the laws of those countries which has led to a variety of adventures, which in your case is how Brazil protects their citizens when it comes to payments, etc.

I hope you can also understand why I've been very embarrassed at having to explain why I can't purchase a gift account to someone for whom I said I'd do that.

Please check your FlickrMail.

All, please rest assured that we're working through the various hiccups that we've encountered.

view photos

Long Zheng says:

@heather: I have much more than sufficient money in my PayPal account for the $24.95 subscription in both US dollars and AU dollars which is my primary currency. And also if it helps, my account type is an Australian Verified Premier PayPal account.

view photos

Hans Monasso says:

@Heather. I had no dollars on my account, only euro's but after converting euro's to dollars still no success. So, enough dollars on my paypal but not able to pay.

view photos

Dr. Keats says:

Quite bizarre - a funds balance in a PayPal account should work best of all. A linked bank account should also be fine....

The problem's gotta be on PayPal's end somewhere; it seems to have decided that Flickr accounts must be funded from credit card only...

view photos

Farruska says:

Heather, answering your request, I'm one of the ones not able to go through with paypal at this point and yup, more than enough dinero in my account directly linked to PP. Another aspect: verified address.

Dr. Keats, Itaken from yahoo's own "how to integrate paypal on your business" been so well written, I'd go more for a little bug in the implementation side rather than for a 3rd party application to decide anything particularly for a given client ;)

view photos

eτi says:

My impression is that Paypal is an American business that works fine in the US (I gather that their banks don't allow direct money transfers as European banks do, so companies like Paypal could step in) but in the rest of the world using a creditcard might be a wiser option...

Of course the decision in itself to bring Paypal back is great for those who can use it.

view photos

Farruska says:

hm... .eti , not sure you're on the absolute right track, at least as a general view of Paypal, I use my german PP account in ebay for example, not just european ebay (.de, co.uk) but also non-european (.com, .jp) with buyers from those countries and so far no problem in paying with PP with direct link to my german bank account...

(is sorry to bring the ebay example but is really the most comparable)

view photos

Chris Funderburg says:

I don't think the problem is related to Paypal or Flickr directly. If you go to wallet.yahoo.com directly and try to connect your paypal account to it, it asks for a credit card.

I've just about given up on Flickr getting this fixed. Maybe I'll be able to have a proper account again in a year or so when they finally realize how anti-international Yahoo Wallet is...

view photos

Vieira says:

heather wrote

Prior to International, we were all under US Y! Terms of Service and payments. Post international, we're "localized" in certain countries. When that happens, you need to follow the laws of those countries which has led to a variety of adventures, which in your case is how Brazil protects their citizens when it comes to payments, etc.

Can someone address the issue of those who are using Yahoo Brasil just because of the language and are not really living in Brazil?

I do have friends in Brazil I can ask to pay the account for me, but having to do this way is just unacceptable. Even though, I urge you to look at the payment website we users of Yahoo Brasil are redirected to when we try to pay. There's no Privacy policy, no Terms of service, no nothing. It does look like phishing.

I have shopped on the net in Brazil while I was living there and the amount of information this BrasPag is requiring for a credit card operation is just not normal. Without a clear, legal binding privacy policy, it just smells bad. There's a big market for illegal identity trade in Brazil (the world?) and I don't trust such a website to collect my data. Needless to say I wouldn't ask a friend to do it either.

Flickr payment system (by Vieira)

I'm sure there are other options for Yahoo. MercadoPago, for instance, is a kind of brazilian Paypal and is used and trusted by a large userbase. But it could be any relatively well known service with a clear Privacy policy and means to be contacted in case anything goes bad. (There's not even a contact link!)

view photos

Pixel Wrangler says:

heather - as a follow-on to my earlier post, I think I once used an e-commerce site that had it's own card merchant account, and also allowed users (customers) the option of using PayPal ... and PayPal "worked as it was supposed to".

I know that I had to authorize/allow/authenticate (?) PayPal to allow that particular e-commerce site to call the PayPal API, and that "PayPal API Authorization" remained in effect until I revoked it on the PayPal site.

I don't presume that you and your team don't know all this stuff ... I'm simply trying to pass along my experiences with e-commerce sites that take credit cards themselves, as well as offering PayPal, and try to distinguish between those that work "the way PayPal *is supposed* to -- and those that "don't".

view photos

listenitsmorning says:

if it helps, i'm from singapore and i do have enough money to extend a pro flickr account.

view photos

Chris Funderburg says:

Ok, I found the solution. sort of. Buy a gift code from ebay! I found 1 seller in Vietnam who was offering two year gift certificates for $34. That ended up being £16 here in the uk which was so cheap I almost fell over! ;-)
Chris Funderburg edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Dr. Keats says:

Hmmmm.. let's see - the Gift codes would have been purchased via the seller's Flickr account, yeah? Then on-sold each time?

Sounds like "commercial use" of his Flickr account to me. That's why you're not seeing others doing it on eBay - it's against Flickr rules, and the accounts in question will be deleted the second they come to notice...

view photos

Chris Funderburg says:

Interesting. I read Flickr's rules. It only mention's the *seller's* account being deleted. There doesn't appear to be any restriction for the receiver.
Time will tell I guess.

You're also assuming he's buying them. His page only stated that he got them as a gift and doesn't want them as he doesn't use Flickr. Still possibly breaks the resale rule but if he's not the original purchaser you're in a gray area.

view photos

Jim Skea says:

Please check your FlickrMail.

@heather: Thanks for the help!

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather says:

Thanks for all your excellent feedback. I'll share this with the team.

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather says:

Ok, I found the solution. sort of. Buy a gift code from ebay! I found 1 seller in Vietnam who was offering two year gift certificates for $34. That ended up being £16 here in the uk which was so cheap I almost fell over! ;-)

bocan_2005, Only bad news I'm afraid. We're doing research and the purchases made by the individual were done so under fraudulent terms with what appear to be stolen credit cards.

Buying something that appears to be too good to be true on eBay is likely just that. We're doing a full review of all of those transactions. It's very likely that in the clean up, you're going to lose your two years of pro.

If you paid that member via PayPal, you should be able to file an abuse report with them.

[edit -- emboldened the important bit]
heather (staff) edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

grey battle says:

but I asked Flickr and they told me to send via paypal as I did before!!!! That´s why I did!!!!!

view photos

grey battle says:

paypal@flickr.com as recommended by a woman of flickr staff.....damn it that i didn´t keep her e-mail to me.

view photos

halbtuerke says:

So now my Pro account expired and I have no chance of upgrading it again. ;-(

view photos

Vieira says:

@staff/heather: I'm one of the customers from Y! Brasil and I just noticed Use a different Yahoo! ID for this Flickr account on my account page. I used it, created a Y! ID on Y! Germany (where I'm living) and things seemed better.

I got the option to pay through Paypal. Clicked on it, logged into my verified German Paypal account just to find a screen asking me to add a credit card. I have seen this before when shopping on a website that somehow only accepted Paypal payments funded through credit cards.

Is this how it is supposed to be on Flickr? Are you accepting credit card funded Paypal payments only? I'm asking because I supposed you wouldn't go through the hassle of setting Paypal up with Wallet just to offer the exact same means of payment.

Any hope of fixing this before my pro ends on Dec 9th?

view photos

teefaye says:

What the hell....I was excited about paypal coming back but why do you have to have your credit card linked to your paypal in order to pay for pro??? I have money in paypal. What is the problem???

My pro account expires Nov 30/07 arrrghhhhh...

view photos

Chris Funderburg says:

heather: Typical. Just my luck.

Easy come. Easy go. :-|

view photos

teefaye says:

I'm rather ticked off right now and would really appreciate an answer from the Flickr team.

We've been waiting all these months for paypal to return, yet it's the same thing like it was before...STILL asking for a credit card or debit card. I don't want my paypal linked to my CC.

I DO have money in my paypal account to pay for my subscription yet it just asked for a damn CC when I try to purchase another yr of pro. Arrrggghhhh.....................................................................................................

view photos

phunkdust says:

Is anyone reading the thread before they post?

If you are being prompted to add a CREDIT CARD Flickr already knows about this problem thats occuring for some people. (Myself included)

Just sit back, relax, read the thread, follow the advice of the staff, and see if the situation can be rectified.

If your account is about to EXPIRE or HAS EXPIRED don't panic, you haven't lost any of your photos or sets, and they'll be back as soon as you can subscribe again.

view photos

Dr. Keats says:

Actually, in recent months, it's become standard that virtually no-one reads threads before posting in them....

bocan_2005 - check your Inbox...

view photos

romorosso says:

WHY WEREN'T PEOPLE WHO HAD BAD GIFT CODES NOTIFIED BEFORE LOSING PRO!!!!! I had to go hunting through these forums to find any information about this ebay scam business and why I'm no longer pro. Some kind of consideration would probably be in order here! I'm sorry someone's credit card got ripped, but I got ripped, too. Now I have to go fight ebay and paypal with nothing more than your forum post here. I'm so mad about this lack of notification I'm thinking I may just say forget flickr and find a different place to host my photos. Thanks for nothing.

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

On the face of it, it seems a bit unfair... but Flickr/yahoo is a business, and it seems that when you redeem a Flickr Gift Code, you are required to tick a box that says you've read and understand the Gift Terms, specifically:

A Flickr Gift is intended for use as a gift or promotion to an individual. Flickr Gifts are non-transferable, and resale of a Flickr Gift or use for unauthorized advertising, marketing, sweepstakes or other promotional purposes is strictly prohibited. You may not permit any other person to use a Flickr Gift or any unused balance that was issued to you. You agree that Yahoo has the right to suspend or terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of Flickr Gifts obtained or used under any of the preceding circumstances. [emphasis mine]

So, yeah, I feel bad that you got ripped off, but at the same time, didn't you think it a bit suspicious that someone was selling Flickr gift codes, and that that might be against the rules?

But yes, I think it would have been better if Flickr had sent you a Flickrmail explaining why your Pro account had suddenly expired... rather than leave you wondering what happened.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2 3
(1 to 100 of 256 replies in [Official Topic] PayPal is back! (please see staff update))
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads