Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] May Flickr Wishlist and A Staff Introduction!
Latest: 70 minutes ago
[Official thread] Meet the Flickr team [Updated May 20 - Meet Liz Hall!]
Latest: 4 days ago
[Official Thread] Updates to the group admin pending queue and group admin pages
Latest: 3 weeks ago
[Official] Flickr requesting that some Pro subscribers update their subscription information
Latest: 4 weeks ago

Current Discussion

New ... Alpha in comments.
Latest: 11 minutes ago
Emoji
Latest: 26 minutes ago
Mobile issue
Latest: 38 minutes ago
streetmap new
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Investigating] Bug/Issue with moving blue dots on the map
getting Bad Pandas, also seeing API unstable
Map display
Latest: 4 hours ago
[Investigating] Edit portrait pictures: fail
Latest: 4 hours ago
Our Group has a monitered queue and we no longer have the arrow to return to the pending file.
Latest: 6 hours ago
Uploading to groupx very slow
Latest: 7 hours ago
Not receiving any notifications
Latest: 8 hours ago
Punctuation (or formatting) problem?
Latest: 13 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Search not working for devanagari tags

आलोक says:

Search does not work for devanagari tags.
For example, see the tags in this tag cloud. Now, copy paste any one of these devanagari tags and try to search, say संयुक्तराज्य - and search displays no photos even though they are public and the account is marked safe.

Forum search indicates that this is a known issue. Is anyone working on resolving this?
Posted at 3:37AM, 23 July 2007 PDT ( permalink )

view photos

आलोक says:

hm, it's been, like 12 hours since I raised this bug. What kind of SLAs govern the resolution of this kind of a bug?
Posted ages ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Michael Smith says:

Are you sure this is a bug? I wasn't aware that Devanagari was supported.

view photos

आलोक says:

Excuse me! But are you saying that supporting devanagari tags does not imply being able to search on them? Why have tags when you can't search on them?

view photos

Michael Smith says:

I'm saying I don't know whether they are supported. Do you know?

view photos

आलोक says:

hm, ok. I understand that flickr is committed to unicode and therefore supports utf-8 string search. So by definition, the devanagari strings should also be supported as long as they are utf-8, which is the case here.

It shouldn't be difficult to fix this issue if chinese utf-8 characters are already working properly - but this needs to be confirmed by staff or users that use chinese tags.

view photos

Flickr Staff

mebooyou says:

आलोक - Sorry at the moment we do not support devangari strings. This is due to our current search indexer and I actually consider it a bug. We will be migrating to a new version in late September that will fix this issue as well as many other tag issues we have. Sorry for the inconvience and all your current tags will be searchable after we migrate.

view photos

Flickr Staff

mebooyou says:

Oh, maybe I should mention we also have CJK issues at the moment(chinese japanese and korean). Again, as far as tags are concerned these should be fixed. However, there will still be some stemming issues for full text search as stemming is a very tricky and complicated issue.

view photos

आलोक says:

ignore this post please
आलोक edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

आलोक says:

late September

Great to hear this. I'll check back on 01/Oct/2007. Setting a reminder on my calendar. :)

May I know when you would be planning to fix full text search as well?

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads