Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[fixing- staff response] spam comment / mentioned you in a photo
Latest: 5 hours ago
[Official Thread] Login issues? Try this.
Latest: 26 hours ago
[staff response] Unable to post comments
Latest: 6 days ago

Current Discussion

How do I change an email when it has been deleted
Latest: 72 minutes ago
Flickr logo, social media icons apppearing on blog embed photos
Latest: 73 minutes ago
Profile not appearing in searches
Latest: 2 hours ago
Android App not auto uploading photos
How to start a new topic in discussions in Flickr groups
Flickr mail email notifications not working
Latest: 4 hours ago
Statistics not working
missing the "safe search" settings
Tags
Latest: 8 hours ago
Abandoned group
Latest: 9 hours ago
My pictures are suddenly not publicly viewable
Latest: 9 hours ago
What exactly IS a collection mosaic? Where is it seen?
Latest: 10 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Flickr photos being joined to advertising -- without consent

Dave Ward Photography says:

This...

wii.yahoo.com/

...is not acceptable, now or ever!

It needs to be discontinued immediately, and nothing of this sort must ever be attempted again by Yahoo! or any of its "partners."

---------------------------

STAFF UPDATE:

"Update! I have spoken with the team working on wii.yahoo.com and they are going to be changing the site to only use images with appropriately licensed Creative Commons photos effective very soon. " -- mroth (here)

"A few points which I hope will help clarify... -- Stewart (here)
Posted at 2:30PM, 31 January 2007 PST ( permalink )
heather (staff) edited this topic ages ago.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5
(1 to 100 of 415 replies in Flickr photos being joined to advertising -- without consent)
view photos

freakyv says:

Are Yahoo! allowed to do it under the privacy policy? I doubt it.
Posted ages ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Brikwall says:

I checked one of the photos and it is listed as "All Rights Reserved"

I think this goes against what Heather said in another thread, that the Flickr TOS granting rights to Flickr/Yahoo is only so that Flickr can upload and publish one's photos to Flickr itself.
Brikwall edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Bruno Meunier says:

This is outrageous. If only they respected the author's copyrights with some scripting, but no. Yahoo!™ owes me money now.

Digg it:
www.digg.com/business_finance/OUTRAGEOUS_Yahoo_t_STEALS_c...
Bruno Meunier edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Mr Omar Brown says:

All my pictures have been taged with wii

view photos

Quiplash! says:

This is WRONG.

So our copyright/Creative Commons settings on our photos no longer mean ANYTHING?

view photos

katrientje says:

*sighs

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

From the Flickr API Terms of Use:

Comply with any requirements or restrictions imposed on usage of the photos by their respective owners. Remember, Flickr doesn't own the images - Flickr users do. Although the Flickr APIs can be used to provide you with access to Flickr user photos, neither Flickr's provision of the Flickr APIs to you nor your use of the Flickr APIs override the photo owners' requirements and restrictions, which may include "all rights reserved" notices (attached to each photo by default when uploaded to Flickr), Creative Commons licenses or other terms and conditions that may be agreed upon between you and the owners. In ALL cases, you are solely responsible for making use of Flickr photos in compliance with the photo owners' requirements or restrictions. If you use Flickr photos for a commercial purpose, the photos must be marked with a Creative Commons license that allows for such use, unless otherwise agreed upon between you and the owner. You can read more about this here: www.creativecommons.org or www.flickr.com/creativecommons.

Perhaps someone would like to explain in what way Yahoo's use of images in this new "brand" thing is noncommercial?

view photos

@pagis: hahaha! That's brilliant! I'm going to do that right away.

Meanwhile, everybody please use the report abuse link to report Yahoo!'s abuse of our legal licenses. What they are doing is clearly a violation of copyright law, and therefore is illegal.

view photos

Chris Pederick says:

Hehe - the first photo now in the list on wii.yahoo.com page is this one:

www.flickr.com/photos/43222994@N00/375907627/

With the first comment being:

"Yahoo theives!"

Oh dear - certainly not going to try and defend Yahoo! on this one!

view photos

anniemack PRO says:

Awesome.

view photos

afkatws says:

I praise the sort of investigation that has given rise to this being discovered. I too agree that this is abhorent and the sheer bare-faced arrogance of Yahoo to think they could get awaywith this leaves me dumbfounded. I hope every one of the 25,000 people whose pics are tagged with Wii will now take action against this.

view photos

afkatws says:

Might I also add that a civil disobedience action might be a good idea and as many people as possible should tage their pics with 'wii' so as to render that illegal advertising useless.

view photos

noonespillow says:

So how much junk are they going to drop on us today? January 31, 2007 shall surely go down in infamy.

Change login, steal our copyrighted work for commercial uses..what's next?!

view photos

Pete Ashton says:

You do realise that anyone, anywhere on any site can set up a Flickr badge that displays thumbnails of photos tagged with "wii" or anything else for that matter? And that they can style it in whatever manner they chose, even leaving out the Flickr logo? How is this different?

view photos

dotsandspaces PRO says:

how dare your use my photos to sell products and services...go away, leave me alone, I do not want to be part of your "branded universe".

don't you get it? this is wrong.

view photos

podiluska says:

Don't tag everything. Just the ones that their paymasters wouldn't want to see on that page....

view photos

katrientje says:

also added wii tags to some of my images :)

on a seriouse note: this is just [ enter you swearword of choice here] typical yahoo
katrientje edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

noonespillow says:

@Pete - When you set it up on a personal site, does that provide any revenue for you? (Probably not.) Whereas, how much do you want to bet that Yahoo is making off that sparkly Wii page?

view photos

Anybody, anywhere could also stab a stranger in the kidney. "Could do it" doesn't mean "won't have to face the consequences of breaking the law."

The combination of licenses (which have the weight of law behind them) and copyright laws protect our images against misuse. There is no question that Yahoo! is breaking the law here.

view photos

shadowbox says:

I really want to give flickr the benefit of the doubt here, hoping that this is just somebody's bad idea that somehow managed to escape from Yahoo's boardroom instead of being slapped down for its obvious boneheadedness.

But in case I'm wrong, I've tagged an image in my stream with wii. And I have included the following tags as well "I do not consent in any way shape or form having my images used on yahoo's wii website. Any said use is breaking copyright laws and of flickr's terms of use"

Let's see what happens.

view photos

Ben.Jenkinson says:

Apparently Yahoo are planning to make hundreds of mini-portal pages like the Wii one.

arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070131-8742.html

view photos

Bruno Meunier says:

Digg it:

view photos

TC says:

So whos terms are they any way.....???

It seems that FLickr's as shown by Lu above mis match Yahoo's....

So whos are to be used?

READ #9 AND #10

Sounds like most paying contracts to me, but I'm not getting Paid! I would think this is a slap in the face of working Pro photographers.

view photos

Just so nobody thinks I discovered this or am taking any credit for it, it was derek@antiquark who, at least, first brought it to my attention.

All 2,213 of my images are now tagged with "wii." I'll be watching for one of mine to turn up on that Yahoo! wii page. :-)

view photos

view-askew says:

There's a message board on the wii page where you can give feedback directly to Yahoo. One forum is called "wii site feedback". I've made a thread in it adressing the issue (borrowing some of the words you guys have used in this thread).

Most of you have Yahoo IDs now, so you can leave your comments in that forum as well.

messages.wii.yahoo.com/Message_Boards/forumview?bn=YGM-Wi...

view photos

Chris Pederick says:

Not that it's not interesting to see what happens if you tag random photos with wii, but I am pretty sure they will have some moderation queue to stop what they deem inappropriate images showing up on that page.

view photos

Quiplash! says:

I just posted this story to the existing digg.com post's comment threads. You know what to do.

digg.com/tech_news/Flickr_Users_Are_Mad_as_Hell_About_Tod...

view photos

Pete Ashton says:

@noonespillow

Where do you draw the line?

1) Nintendo start a Wii blog, rather like the Flickr blog or the Google blog, and in the sidebar they have a Flickr badge with 'wii' tagged photos.

2) Wired magazine start a Wii blog as part of their blog department and put a Flickr badge on it.

3) An independent blogger specialing in the Wii who makes a significant amount of money from AdSense puts the badge on his site.

4) A minor blogger who just about pays for his hosting via AdSense does it.

At the end of the day these are thumbnails, not photographs. Thumbnails from Flickr appear all over the bloody place thanks to the API and related goodies. Photographs that can actually be looked at only appear on Flickr (unless you've got the Blog button switched on).

And, finally, I think this is probably seen as advertising Flickr on the Wii page rather than the other way round.
Pete Ashton edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

afkatws says:

Hmmm.... with this rationale "Yahoo has loved to work with brand owners, but we've shown we don't need them to promote the content. We don't pay a license, we're tapping a community within Yahoo.""

view photos

derek@antiquark says:

Just to give proper credits, I got the Wii link from Eris23 in the Flick Off forum.

view photos

cybaea says:

The really interesting comment in the ArsTechnica article mentioned above by Ben.J is that Yahoo appears to be quoted as saying that they are deliberately taking Flickr pictures in order to avoid having to pay for content licenses.

The article with my emphasis:

In addition to presenting strong imagery and other unique media content, the Brand Universes will pull photos from Flickr tagged with that specific brand name, Yahoo Answers related to the brand, and user-generated bookmarks and links from Del.icio.us tagged with the brand, giving users the power to control parts of the site's content. Yahoo is not asking for input from marketers nor seeking licenses for the content, however, Broady told reporters. "We're doing what makes sense for the users," he said. "Yahoo has loved to work with brand owners, but we've shown we don't need them to promote the content. We don't pay a license, we're tapping a community within Yahoo."

So the reason for buying Flickr was so Y! could screw Nintendo??
cybaea edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

view-askew says:

Pete Ashton says
And, finally, I think this is probably seen as advertising Flickr on the Wii page rather than the other way round.

That's not how I would feel if my picture of my friend holding a recently purchased wii, with a CC Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, was found on the front page of that site.
view-askew edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

justwhisperz says:

ok well this doesnt involve any of my pics but this is disgraceful mmm.... and were are the staff responses?

view photos

Pete Ashton wrote:

Sure, they're doing us a favor by illegally misusing our copyrighted and usage-licensed photos. Let's all write a thank-you note, why don't we?

view photos

afkatws says:

"And, finally, I think this is probably seen as advertising Flickr on the Wii page rather than the other way round. "

Sorry but I can't agree Pete Ashton - this is flagrant abuse - pure and simple.

view photos

Civilized Explorer PRO says:

Paragraph 9 of the Yahoo Terms of Service says, in part

With respect to photos, graphics, audio or video you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Service other than Yahoo! Groups, the license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and publicly display such Content on the Service solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available.

Unfortunately, 'publicly accessible' is defined as "portions of Yahoo! Groups, Photos and Briefcase that are open to both members and visitors." I don't know how flickr figures into that.

I also don't know how the CC licenses figure in, if they are for non-commercial purposes. The photos appear to be there to promote Yahoo and its relationship to Wii. It definitely appears to me to be a commercial promotion of Nintendo's products.

I note also that the photos on wii.yahoo.com do not link back to the pages on which the photos reside, in violation of flickr's terms of service. I presume Yahoo overrides flickr.

I'm sure the flickr staff will drop by and soothe all ruffled feathers and explain how it's all alright.
Civilized Explorer edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Pete Ashton says:

Note to self: must... resist... getting... drawn.. into... pointless... debates... on... help... forums...

Night all.

view photos

Philippe and Angie PRO says:

I'm not bothered about the whole yahoo login issue etc etc.

But I don't understand fully how yahoo can use some of these photos on their brands / wii site. I would really appreciate the an explanation of how all rights reserved photos can turn up on an obviously commercial site like the wii site. Having the blog button turned on shouldn't apply because the wii site is not a blog, its commercial use. So yahoo/flickr really do owe flickr users a proper explanation.

If only to explain to ordinary simple users how to opt-in or opt-out. (and to demonstrate that the "old-flickr ethos" does in fact survive)

Philippe

view photos

quiddity says:

@DaveWard
I don't believe they'll use retroactively tagged images in that feed, only newly uploaded photos.
Similar to how the "Flick Off" group tried to get into (googlebomb) the "most popular" tag cloud when this all started.
www.flickr.com/groups/flick_off/
www.flickr.com/groups/flick_off/discuss/80372/

view photos

loupiote (Old Skool) pro PRO says:

it's probably just a bug, yahoo should check the copyrights of an image before using it for commercial purposes.

but this is nonetheless a serious violation of copyright. if i ever see any of my photos used commercially by yahoo, i'll hit screen-copy and call my lawyer, you can be sure of that.

view photos

view-askew says:

Pete Ashton says:
Note to self: must... resist... getting... drawn.. into... pointless... debates... on... help... forums...

Why is a debate around the use of copyrighted pictures pointless?

view photos

Eris23 [forever oldskool] says:

Staff, anyone?

view photos

i think they need to contact yahoo before giving an official answer, it will take some time.

view photos

Quiplash! says:

@loupiote:

God, I hope they don't have to wait 7-10 days like we do ;-)

view photos

afkatws says:

Hey methinks my civil disobedience suggestion (of tagging random pics with 'wii') is being taken up - as what was 23,000 under an hour ago is now over 29,000... and rising :-D

view photos

view-askew says:

Maybe it was just a clueless Yahoo site designer doing something s/he shouldn't have done.. I don't know. I don't think we should give Flickr flak for it though. It's Yahoo who needs to get the message.

view photos

Chris Pederick says:

I am pretty sure they will have some moderation queue to stop what they deem inappropriate images showing up on that page

Apparently I was wrong - this is now the first photo:

www.flickr.com/photos/39388095@N00/375946667

:)

view photos

bastian, see the comment at
www.flickr.com/forums/help/32752/#reply165395
It appears to be a policy of yahoo to use its user-generated content for promoting yahoo's "Brand Universe." "BU" is defined in the ars technica article.

view photos

Quiplash! says:

"We found 45,781 photos matching wii."

view photos

afkatws says:

Bastian surely that can't be true as this article:

arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070131-8742.html

states "In addition to presenting strong imagery and other unique media content, the Brand Universes will pull photos from Flickr tagged with that specific brand name, Yahoo Answers related to the brand, and user-generated bookmarks and links from Del.icio.us tagged with the brand, giving users the power to control parts of the site's content."

So shows premeditation and intent surely whilst disguising it as the user choosing to be involved instead of their pictures being used in contravention of their copyright?
afkatws edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Pete Ashton says:

Okay, I'll bite.

Has anyone actually understood what this page is?

First of all the disclaimer at the bottom reads "Yahoo! and this site are neither endorsed by nor affiliated with Nintendo. Product information source: Nintendo Wii Press Kit"

In other words Yahoo are not getting paid by Nintendo for this site.

Secondly, the logo at the top clearly marks it as part of Yahoo Games. Again, not an "advert"

Look at the other boxes. You've got a feed from Yahoo Answers, a feed for Delicious, a Yahoo Games news feed and down at the bottom a standard Yahoo sitemap.

In other words, this is an aggregation of stuff related to the Wii as found on Yahoo services. Including, since 2005, Flickr.

Again, this is not advertising. This is a page put together by Yahoo to say, effectively, "if you like the Wii there's a shedload of cool Wii stuff on Yahoo - follow these links for more."

Next you'll be complaining about your photos being used on the Flickr Blog without your permission...

view photos

> I am pretty sure they will have some moderation queue to stop what they deem inappropriate images showing up on that page

they probably do, but up-front from that they should filter out any photo that does not have a copyright allowing free commercial use.

clearly they forgot this "detail".

> In other words Yahoo are not getting paid by Nintendo for this site.

some people reported that they used some photos with ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. regardless of whether yahoo has any commercial business with nintendo, they should NOT use those photos - other than for the intended use (according to the yahoo TOS), i.e. on the flickr website.
loupiote (Old Skool) pro edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

afkatws says:

I've blogged about this .

view photos

Pete, it's a commercial site. That website is a Yahoo! corporate page. It is not an independent site, not a private user's site, and not a non-profit site. It is a commercially-created, commercially-owned, commercially-operated site.

That's not even questionable or debatable.

view photos

Chris Pederick says:

they should filter out any photo that does not have a copyright allowing free commercial use

Oh, no doubt - I'm not disagreeing with that.

I was originally saying that non-Wii photos would be unlikely to show up after we tagged random photos, but apparently I was wrong on that front anyway.

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

I think it's hilarious that the Yahoo Wii site showing Flickr shots, is showing a bunch of screenshots of Wii characters (Mii's?) As we all know, screenshots aren't considered photos, and against Flickr's use policies, and should be set to nipsa, and shouldn't be able to appear on the Yahoo Wii page. So it's like, wrong/squared.

So is it tacit approval by Yahoo of non-photo images being public on Flickr, or a rebuff, like if only your images were properly nipsa then we wouldn't have been able to steal them?

view photos

aqui-ali PRO says:

Every one of my 3054 images has the tags "nintendo" and "wii".

I encourage more of you to do the same...

view photos

afkatws says:

Pete - I think you are being too kind to Yahoo. They are exploiting the members of Flickr to help them do their job ie. tracking. They have not created that site in the name of altruism!

view photos

aqui-ali: i already added the wii tag to my 3000-or-so photos, just to make sure i'm part of the class action lawsuit against yahoo for breach of copyright.

view photos

afkatws says:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the no. of Wii tagged pics has now gone DOWN from 29,000 to 27,000! Something very odd going on there.

And loupiote - your smiley face avatar SO suits each of
your posts :-)

view photos

lynetter PRO says:

@Pete Ashton:

Flickr blog is different. It's part of the Flickr community. Yahoo might own Flickr but it sure as hell ain't part of the community.

I hadn't realised that my photos could potentially be used on *any* Yahoo site without requesting... Yahoo is clearly a commercial entity, all my photos are creative commons except for commercial purposes.

A big brand re-publishing one of my images on their site feels commercial to me. Otherwise, what's to stop any big brand... BBC, CNN, Fox, anyone taking stuff? If you're a media company then anything you do officially under your brand name is, in my opinion, commercial and thus I would expect prior permission to be asked.

Besides. That wii yahoo page has a big ad for Tesco on it (at least in the UK). Are you telling me they're running that ad out of the goodness of their hearts?
lynetter edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Bruno Meunier says:

Remember to digg this story to get the attention of other people.
Link:

view photos

Hi, Pete,

As the ars technica article says,

Yahoo is beginning to reveal its plans to create Brand Universes—vertical content portals that aim to attract large communities for a specific brand. ... The Brand Universes will be aimed at being a main media hub for users looking for information on their favorite brands. So far, Yahoo has announced that the Wii Brand Universe is already available and the company will continue with six more: "Harry Potter," Halo, The Sims, The Office, Lost, and Transformers. Yahoo plans to expand to 100 Brand Universes by the end of the year.

The goal is not to advertise whatever brand, but to advertise Yahoo. To get more eyeballs on Yahoo's pages. Look at the menu bar near the top of the page; Buyer's Guide, for example. This link takes you to a place to find a store near you - a Trusted Partner, in Yahoo Parlance. Notice also the Find it online links - There are ads on the page paid for by sponsors other than Nintendo. Follow the link to the message boards - more paid advertising.

Yahoo is generating eyeballs for its paid advertsing.

Note also the menu at the bottom of the pages - Yahoo games and Also on Yahoo. Follow those links for more ads, more revenue for yahoo.

You are correct that yahoo is not being paid by nintendo, nor is yahoo paying nintendo. I believe, though, that you are incorrect that this is not advertising. The goal is to generate user views of ads on all the pages - yahoo is selling its readers to the advertisers. That's how radios sell commercials, how newspapers sell ads - yahoo is doing it here.

view photos

> Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the no. of Wii tagged pics has now gone DOWN from 29,000 to 27,000! Something very odd going on there.

there are actually 40,530 photos (and counting) tagged with wii.

the numbers on this pages are apparently cached from earlier, and also as you see they change each time the page is reloaded. they are not the real numbers.

however the photos (with copyright not allowing that particular use by yahoo) are real.

view photos

afkatws says:

Lynetter - absolutely. That page is commercial through and through. And BBC have very tight guidelines for the repurposing of any of their footage that they relase for use in education. But they at least are up front about it all in their legalise small print.

view photos

aqui-ali PRO says:

view photos

afkatws says:

oh lol @ loupiote - was just wondering why the no. went DOWN.

view photos

davebushe PRO says:

Perhaps a slightly pessimistic view but everything else aside, that's the death of tags on Flickr.

If Yahoo launch 100 of these and people who feel (rightly or wrongly) their images are being stolen and start adding the brand tags to their photos.....

Boom!

view photos

that's why they now have a limit of 75 tags maximum!

view photos

afkatws says:

And some anti-wii images now appearing!

www.flickr.com/photos/drewbuddie/375971422/

view photos

podiluska says:

I don't think we should give Flickr flak for it though. It's Yahoo who needs to get the message.

Didn't you get the email this morning? They're all the same now.

view photos

I just spotted this one on the wii page (as was mentioned above). I clicked on it on the Yahoo! wii page to see the larger version... but the thumbnail doesn't link back to the image on Flickr. Any site that loads photos from flickr must link the image back to the original page on flickr. That's a great policy for both us and flickr. But Yahoo! is violating Flickr's own rules.

view photos

view-askew says:

Didn't you get the email this morning? They're all the same now.

I get your point, but that's still not the way I see it.

view photos

Pete Ashton says:

@Civilized Explorer

Hang on, you mean Yahoo is a commercial corporation that exists to make money? When did that happen?

That explains how they were able to buy Flickr and make sure it didn't go under, allowing the staff to continue to work and improve it. I'd always wondered how that happened.

This is not some utopian fantasy world. Flickr is not a self-sustainable commune. You are consumers of a Yahoo product and there's a trade off between the good and the evil.

Yes, this page exists to generate revenue for Yahoo. Yes, your photos are connected with that revenue generating operation. (Although they're not really photos. Personally I don't consider a 75x75px image to be an accurate representation of my work.)

When I use Flickr I know I'm sucking the corporate cock. This occasionally bothers me (such as when organising Flickrmeets and feeling like I'm some kind of "street team" wanker) but the trade off is, in my view, worth it. It's worth it a thousand fold.

Compared to the ethical compromises we make every day in this corporate-saturated world this is, by any definition, a non issue.

view photos

I just spotted this one on the wii page (as was mentioned above). I clicked on it on the Yahoo! wii page to see the larger version... but the thumbnail doesn't link back to the image on Flickr. Any site that loads photos from flickr must link the image back to the original page on flickr. That's a great policy for both us and flickr. But Yahoo! is violating Flickr's own rules.

that's correct - this way yahoo is not obligated to show the comments associated with the photo. clever!

another violation of the TOS, but does the TOS applies to yahoo? if they violate their own TOS, they just can change it so that they will be in compliance.

view photos

@ Pete Aston.

But here we're still able to vote with our feet...

view photos

Adam Lawrence says:

this is totally 10000% unacceptable and outrageous!
i've been enjoying the hell out of my last month or so here, went "pro" and everything.... but if my photos can be used by yahoo to give them 'content' for their pages without my consent.....
blood boiling.....
NOT "cool", and not legal.

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

uh, there's a good point up there. In the U.S. at least, the courts have ruled that displaying thumbnails, ala Google's image search, is considered "Fair Use" and not a copyright violation. So as long as Yahoo only displays thumbs, and they link to Flickr (they don't link directly, but the next deeper link seems to) then they may be on the side of the angels....

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

I am finding that the images click through to Flickr - at least the ones I checked did. They click through not from the front page but from the second page that that takes you to.

view photos

dewayne smith says:

I don't understand...

I go here: wii.yahoo.com/
Click on a picture and go here: wii.yahoo.com/photos
And then click on X picture and go to the picture page with all the information, i.e.: www.flickr.com/photos/51035606402@N01/375750145

I don't see how this is stealing photographs since they are linked to the original pictures...

view photos

> uh, there's a good point up there. In the U.S. at least, the courts have ruled that displaying thumbnails, ala Google's image search, is considered "Fair Use" and not a copyright violation.

i'm aware of that. so it might be their legal right to use any photos's thumbnails regardles of their copyright.

still, with all the bad blog echoes, that does not a have a good marketing effect, does it?

view photos

view-askew says:

Gotta love the "Yahoo is rotten to the core" picture on the front page though, lol. Wonder what the casual viewer looking for information on the wii is thinking when he sees these pictures, heh.

view photos

Pete Ashton says:

But here we're still able to vote with our feet

Then vote.

People have been bitching about this since the acquisition but they're still here for some reason. Get over it or go. Its a big internet.

view photos

Pete Ashton wrote:

You are consumers of a Yahoo product

Funny way to state it when, in fact, Yahoo! is consuming (using) our original, copyrighted content, not the reverse.

We are paying them for a service. And in return, they are misusing our copyrights images for commercial purposes.

Pete, what part of "all rights reserved" do you not understand?

view photos

hunter.mike says:

One more reason that I will no longer be a part of Flickr. This is in addition to the email I received the other day informing me that I am REQUIRED to have a Ya-Who-Do-You-Think-We-Care-About account if I want to continue using Flickr.

Nope, lots of other places provide the services of Flickr....that aren't Yahoo.

view photos

Adam Lawrence says:

i've put the following in the comment box of the first few examples i saw

your all rights reserved picture has been used without your consent as part of yahoo's wii.yahoo.com page

view photos

> Pete, what part of "all rights reserved" do you not understand?

but "all rights reserved" might not apply to use of thumbnails - so did the US courts rule recently in a case against google.

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

Whether or not thumbnails are "fair use" has gone both ways in the courts, and sometimes ended in a sort of stalement - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_10_v._Google_Inc

But that's got nothing to do with (apparent, to many of us) improper use of a Flickr API, based on the limitations of commercial use in the API Terms of Use.

view photos

airencracken says:

Dugg. Was on the front page, but mysteriously disappeared.
airencracken edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Rhettro Photography PRO says:

If you do add the Wii tags to your pics, don't forget to load them up with other tags like KFC, McDonalds, Sony Playstation etc

view photos

loupiote (Old Skool) wrote:

but "all rights reserved" might not apply to use of thumbnails - so did the US courts rule recently in a case against google.

To be "fair use", the copyrighted element being reproduced must be serving certain purposes; it must be presented for comment, criticism, education, or for non-commercial illustration. Yahoo!'s misuse of our copyrighted, all-rights-reserved images does not fall under any of those.

view photos

TC says:

This is Funny!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yahoo does care about Copyright! Must Read it!
TC edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Adam Lawrence says:

hey flickr staff,
it's time to pop in and say "hi, we're looking into this".

view photos

justwhisperz says:

this is terrible, but on the funny side the first page on yahoo has a pic that says "fuck you to the core" on it or something along those lines, so yahoos goona be in alot of trouble by ppl who have nothing to do with flickr but who might get "offended" lol :D
justwhisperz edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

SublimeImage says:

Is staff going to address this? Hello?!

view photos

@ Pete Ashton

Then vote

I already have. I do not merge my account with a yahoo id. But till the 15th of march i'm going to be a PITA where ever i can. Betrayed love, you know... :)

view photos

> yahoo has a pic that says "fuck you to the core"

no, it says "Yahoo! is rotten to the core" (i have it on my screen)

view photos

s0crates82 says:

I'm tagging ALL of my pics with Wii.

How dare they.

Anyone know any handy tools for dumping full-rez pics from your flickr account, so you can move to someplace else?

view photos

view-askew says:

Is staff going to address this? Hello?!

They will. Stewart is probably writing his reply right now. He said in the other thread he was going to address this issue.
view-askew edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

mroth PRO says:

Update! I have spoken with the team working on wii.yahoo.com and they are going to be changing the site to only use images with appropriately licensed Creative Commons photos effective very soon.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5
(1 to 100 of 415 replies in Flickr photos being joined to advertising -- without consent)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads