Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official thread] Meet the Flickr team [Updated May 20 - Meet Liz Hall!]
Latest: 2 days ago
[Official] Flickr requesting that some Pro subscribers update their subscription information
Latest: 5 weeks ago

Current Discussion

Emoji
Latest: 9 minutes ago
[Resolved] They're back!
Latest: 31 minutes ago
Can empji's be disabled by account?
Latest: 31 minutes ago
Two group problems - same issue?
Latest: 8 hours ago
Adding to Groups
Latest: 9 hours ago
[resolved] Home feeds gone
Latest: 10 hours ago
Is a Charity Music Video a Commercial Undertaking?
Latest: 11 hours ago
Video quality output on site/app
Latest: 13 hours ago
Scripted to engage with every person who becomes a contact
Latest: 13 hours ago
Downloading all my Flickr photos (Update)
Latest: 17 hours ago
problems over problems these days
Latest: 28 hours ago
[Resolved] Block List
Latest: 30 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Simple Chinese tags are unaccessible?

Xiening Dai says:

I am a flickr user from China. Most of my tags are in Simple Chinese. They did work fine in the past.

But recently, I find that all of my simple chinese tags are unaccessible. I can see them in my tag list. But when I click on one of them, Flickr tells me "You don't have any photos tagged with ****, but other people do." After I click on "but other people do", flickr says "There aren't any photos available to you tagged with ****."

Does anybody run into the same situation? (Especilly users who use non-english tags) I am really frustrated by this and hope it could be resolved as soon as possible.
Posted at 7:29PM, 26 November 2005 PDT ( permalink )
Xiening Dai edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

JIEXIN HUANG [2005] says:

Traditional Chinese tags don't work, too. However, some of these tags created before still work. It's strange...@@"
Posted ages ago. ( permalink )

view photos

megaversal says:

Same with Japanese for me, or tags with Japanese + English in the same tag. And yeah, some older tags work.

view photos

Xiening Dai says:

It seems to be a common issue for non-English tags (at least for tags contain double bytes characters). Mail was sent to Flickr help. Looking forward to the resolution...

view photos

Flickr Staff

Stewart says:

Sorry for the slow response here! It does look like this affects all double-byte tags. We're looking into this now.

In the meantime, if you really need to look up a particular photo, the full-text search still works.

view photos

RogerTse says:

hey Stewart , hurry up

view photos

megaversal says:

Stewart: is it possible, temporarily, to modify the search results page because of this?

Right now, if one clicks on a tag with DBCs, one receives the “UserX doesn't have any photos tagged with DBCS-tag but…”

Could you add a link like “try including titles & descriptions in your search” to make it easy to get around the problem, while a solution is being sought after.

I’ve been complaining (whining?) about the problem for a week, so I think that would be a nice quick fix, unless it would take a lot of work to do (incidentally, for a bug to only last a week or two, if it gets fixed, is definitely good overall in the software dev. world).

view photos

Xiening Dai says:

Ten days passed since my first post...How are thing going there? I think this bug affect all DBCS tags and should have a very high priority.

view photos

Flickr Staff

dathan says:

Levins Dai: we are still working on it. Try searching title and description to search for the tag. For some reason that works, but tags does not for double-byte chars.

view photos

(NEW ACCOUNT: peterwmdavis) says:

Sorry to nag but I reported this bug over a month ago: "Can't search for unicode tags" — I hope this gets resolved soon!

view photos

megaversal says:

Yeah, there have been numerous reports. I’m surprised that at least the “title and description” search finds the tags — is it still using an old engine while there’s a new engine specifically for searching tags?

view photos

galfn says:

The problems still exist......

view photos

fauzty says:

There are many photos in the 台南 clusters (0rz.net/920UI),
but There aren't any photos available to you tagged with "台南". (0rz.net/3c0Ul) :(

view photos

megaversal says:

Full text search fails as well this time.

view photos

galfn says:

nothing changed.......do something...ok?

view photos

Xiening Dai says:

I feel really disappointed. The bug reproduces for a couple of times, but never get really fixed in the past one month.

view photos

BBelief says:

They are going to lose a lot of pro customers, one by one...
This is really disappionting.

view photos

sololie says:

it also seems that tags with these characters will break the tags list... new tags don't show up in the list even if the new ones do NOT have special characters... this is a bit frustrating and confusing... but yeah at least you can search for the tags directly... ANY timeline on a fix for this one???

view photos

Flickr Staff

Stewart says:

sololie - do you have any examples? I can't understand what you're trying to say.

view photos

galfn says:

After more than two month, this bug still exist.

view photos

megaversal says:

I’ve found a related problem regarding the suggested full-text search alternative to searching for DBCS tags.

In my alltags list, I have some phantom tags (they were originally connected to pictures but I went to “Edit” and changed the tag to something else, even though that tag still remains).

I’m curious to see if any photos still have the old tag (which I edited to something else), but naturally, if I click on the tag (since it’s in Japanese), it tells me I don’t have any photos tagged with the tag in question since that’s still not working.

The suggestion is to go in and do a full-text search for the tag in question, but then that brings up pictures that don’t have the tag in them. How is the full-text search finding something that doesn’t exist in the title, description, or tag.

The other part of this relates to a discrepancy in the number of photos it says are tagged. In the alltags list, one of the phantom tags says 39 photos, but when I do a full-text search for the tag (that should no longer exist), only 10 photos are returned. Maybe the full-text search has some interesting DBCS bugs as well?

For reference, here is one of the phantom tags I’m talking about:

つしまみれのまり
flickr.com/photos/daveykun/tags/%e3%81%a4%e3%81%97%e3%81%...
www.flickr.com/photos/daveykun/search/text:%e3%81%a4%e3%8...

I realize that in a perfect world either everyone would speak one language and use one character set, or the programming language you’re using would automatically support all character sets out of the box, and that presumably the number of users using DBCS tags is probably a small percentage, but on a personal note, one of the big reasons I signed up for flickr was the internationalability of the thing — not many of the other photo hosting websites support foreign language character set stuff and even less support DBCS stuff — so it’s disappointing when things used to work and us DBCSers have been left waiting because of a presumably “better” search system.

view photos

Flickr Staff

mebooyou says:

Most of the cjk tag probelms should now be fixed. It may take a few days to propagate through the system. There are still some stemming and tokenization issues with cjk, but we have a plan to deal with these in the near future. Basically, we will turn stemming and tokenization off completely for tags.

view photos

आलोक says:

Same problem with devanagari tags. No results show up in tag search, nor in full text search (www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=%E0%A4%AD%E0%A4%BE%E0%... gives
We couldn't find any photos matching भारत. We give up!
)

I wouldn't be a pro customer next year until this is fixed by the time I'm up for renewal.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads