Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Using a Yahoo username and password to sign in to Flickr
Latest: 9 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Update on the new photo experience
Latest: 34 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Detailed explanation of new features in Flickr 3.0 apps
Latest: 62 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Take a survey to help us improve Flickr groups
Latest: 11 hours ago
[Official Thread] Providing feedback on Flickr 3.0 for iOS and Android
Latest: 6 days ago

Current Discussion

What`s wrong with Explore
Latest: 6 minutes ago
Where is my archive in the name of graham forbes?
Latest: 7 minutes ago
"Also In" Navigation changed?
Latest: 21 minutes ago
Technical - Key Word Ideas Tab
Latest: 26 minutes ago
[bug?] Oops! An issue occured while loading. Please refresh the page
Latest: 32 minutes ago
strange firefox error message
Oops! An issue occured (SIC) while loading. Please refresh the page.
Setting defaults for sharing options?
Latest: 40 minutes ago
Bug: Unable to Get Embed Code for Tiny Photos, Why?
Latest: 44 minutes ago
How the hell do you access Groups in mobile app?
Latest: 48 minutes ago
Editing Gallery Description
Latest: 64 minutes ago
How to logout from the new flickr mail
Latest: 87 minutes ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Topic] New Search Bugs

Flickr Staff

heather says:

If you encounter weirdness, oddities, issues, bugs, etc., with the new Flickr Search then this Help Forum Topic is for you*.

Please give us as many details as you can, including the URL of the search where you encountered the issue and what you expected to see, but didn't.

*Feedback? We're taking that over in a separate Help Forum Topic over here.
Posted at 10:00AM, 4 August 2009 PDT ( permalink )
Zack Sheppard (staff) edited this topic 57 months ago.

view photos

picsbymac says:

Re-running some searches I did for beta testing...this bug is still occurring:

- search contacts for 'cat' www.flickr.com/search/?q=cat&w=contacts&ss=1
- result page (at least the first one) shows results only from my contacts - good
- select slideshow www.flickr.com/search/show/?q=cat&w=contacts&z=m&... and see cats from everyone (not my contacts) - not what I expect to see

edited to add second search string
Posted 57 months ago. ( permalink )
picsbymac edited this topic 57 months ago.

view photos

Tom (hmm a rosa tint) says:

psst: the link on the blog post to the pie fails :(
www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=rhubarb+pie&m=text

we demand rhubarb pie!

view photos

Flickr Staff

shanan says:

We're going to change the link so that it works whether you have safesearch on or off. My mistake for using a non-inclusive link :-(

view photos

picsbymac says:

Another one.

I ran a search in groups for a word I knew had been used in a specific group.

1. search all groups' discussions for spezify - query returned no results
www.flickr.com/search/groups/?s=rep&w=all&q=spezify

2. searched the specific group for spezify - and the word was found
www.flickr.com/search/groups/?s=rep&w=81474450@N00&am...

Knowing the word/discussion existed, I expected to be able to see results from the first search.

view photos

ian g says:

When i run a search in Firefox the first page works fine. The second page or any thereafter goes to load and never finishes.

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

picsbymac wrote

I expected to be able to see results from the first search.
Utata's discussions are only visible to members of the group, so you won't find results in the 'search all groups' because that query doesn't take into account which groups you belong to (at least, that's how I always thought it worked).

view photos

clickykbd says:

Sorry, moved to feedback
clickykbd edited this topic 57 months ago.

view photos

clickykbd says:

Also moved to feedback

view photos

picsbymac says:

Brenda said

"Utata's discussions are only visible to members of the group, so you won't find results in the 'search all groups' because that query doesn't take into account which groups you belong to (at least, that's how I always thought it worked)."

I can see that maybe it wouldn't show up at all if I weren't a member, but I am and therefore for search to really be useful I expect to see all my groups (regardless of their visibility to non-members), included in the first query versus me searching one by one.

view photos

clickykbd says:

Since I don't think we could do that, even with the old search, perhaps the improvement is more of a Search Feedback or FlickrIdea?

view photos

clickykbd says:

Under the general header "search"... in the dropdown.... "For A Location" seems to not fire appropriate JS to do anything anymore?

XP SP3 Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.12) Gecko/2009070611 Firefox/3.0.12

clarification, only true when you have not typed anything in the input box

when you do, it works but the two menus overlap during the refine your location hits step

view photos

picsbymac says:

@clickykbd, if staff says group discussion searches, in this latest search iteration, aren't intended to work the way I expect them to, then I'll add the comment to the appropriate thread.

I did try looking for FAQs related to the search function to see what I could expect and came up dry. In beta a few of us reported that searches of group discussions for known text strings were not producing the expected results, so I can't tell if my query today is the same thing or not, if Brenda's point is correct for this example.

view photos

spyguy999 says:

FYI, I'm using Firefox 3 (View:small, recent)

I like to search by opening each page of results in a new tab. This works fine until the 67th page for some reason. When I try to open the next results in new tabs (68th page,69,70, etc.) it says there are no results. Which is false because if I instead click the "Next" button on the 67th page, there's a 68th page of results and so on. Weird.

So from page 68-101, I can only browse the results by clicking Next and can't open them in new tabs. But after page 101, there are no results at all, just a white screen. I don't know if this is the new cutoff page (I think it was page 167 in the old version) or what.

view photos

clickykbd says:

I hit this problem too... although I reproduced it by skipping around a bit and eventually page 98 in the "kitty" search failed for me
www.flickr.com/search/?q=kitty&w=all#page=98

If i incremented the number in the URL, page 99 worked fine, but 98 fails regardless of how I attempt to arrive to it.

view photos

clickykbd says:

In the "places" extra content sidebar... i'm seeing what appears to be an extraneous backslash in the place URLs. It's not breaking the URLs, but just thought I'd mention it.

Example:
www.flickr.com/places//United+States/New+York/New+York

As opposed to NY how I see it on a geotagged photo page:
www.flickr.com/places/United States/New York/New York/South Side/

The URL encoding seems to be subtly different, though not broken (treatment of whitespace in names)

Also the culprit attempting to paste the second one into this post it would seem. I prefer the "+" for whitespace everywhere I guess, for that reason?

view photos

Flickr Staff

pkingDesign says:

spyguy999 and clickykbd: It sounds like we have a bug related to accessing high number search pages directly versus accessing them via the Next button. I've passed that along to our crack engineering squad (Kellan and the original Phil) and they're looking into it. Thanks for letting us know!

clickykbd: Regarding the places URLs, I'm going to pass along that feedback. We're going to work on fixes for the other issue you raised (see here: www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/102088/#reply665542) and those URLs may also be wonky.

Thanks for the bug reports, please let us know if you see something else!

view photos

Official VH1 says:

i had about 4000 hits the other day and now im down to about 45 hits a day. what happened? i can't find any of my photos in the search. according to my stats i used to find all my pix in the yahoo image search and google image search. now NONE of them are showing up :(

sad face. how do i fix this? thanks!

view photos

ColleenM says:

Look on this page, at "Your Safety Level"
What does that sentence say? Does it include the word NIPSA?

view photos

Official VH1 says:

Hmm., yes it says "Your account has been reviewed as safe and NIPSA by Flickr staff. "

On my flickr page it says I've had "13,194 views" but on my stats page it says "111,539" total views.

view photos

ColleenM says:

If your account is NIPSA, your pictures will not be found in searches.

You will have to contact Flickr staff to find out why your account has been reviewed as NIPSA. Then you will know what you need to do to fix it.

view photos

Official VH1 says:

Ohhh ok thank you thank you.

view photos

ⓅⒶⓎⓅⒶⓊⓁ says:

I'm not sure if this belongs here or not but the Help Forum search is screwy.
Sample search for...guess what? Explore
www.flickr.com/search/forum/?q=Explore&s=act

What I'm getting are topics posted in other languages. Why should I be even seeing those in topics search if my Forum is set to English?

view photos

ant.photos says:

If you go to www.flickr.com/creativecommons/ then click 'See more' next to one of the licence types (to arrive at e.g. this page www.flickr.com/creativecommons/by-nd-2.0/) then do a search, the search results page does not indicate that you have the 'Creative Commons-licensed content' filter in place

view photos

Caro's Lines says:

I'm just not finding the things on my stream that ought to come up!

For instance:

looking for mouse on
www.flickr.com/photos/caroslines/

www.flickr.com/search/?q=mouse&w=93382027@N00

but not producing:

www.flickr.com/photos/caroslines/3311273207/

which can, strangely be found by searching for wood mouse.

view photos

austenhaines says:

Just worked for me caro's lines.

Maybe just a bit of lag in the system? try again. Should work fine.

:-)

view photos

Flickr Staff

pkingDesign says:

Hi _Ant_ - good catch on the Creative Commons search filters. We are properly handling all of the different CC options available from Advanced Search, but none of the ones originating from /creativecommons are being covered. We'll be fixing that soon, thanks!

view photos

Disney Dan says:

Can't get past page six on no matter what search I make...
This still isn't any better than the last "new version" of the previous weeks.

view photos

elementalPaul says:

- this is the same "new version". Well mostly, with the exception of any tweaks that have been made in the past fortnight or so.

I can get past page 6 without any difficulty.

view photos

ℓαℓαℓovie says:

Hmmm I posted this in the feedback section, but perhaps it belongs here?

This may be addressed elsewhere, but I previously had my search filters set to safe, no nudity please (I browse at work!), but today my searches were turning up all sorts of nakedness. Do I need to re-set my search preferences?

As a follow-up, I double checked my search settings--

Search settings SafeSearch: On
Content type: Photos / Videos

So then I suppose I am reporting nudity even with safesearch on. Please fix that!

view photos

ColleenM says:

lalalovie I am reporting nudity even with safesearch on. Please fix that!

They can only fix that if you actually report the images that are not flagged correctly. Use the Report Abuse link at the bottom of every Flickr page.

Go to the photopage for the image.
Click the Report Abuse link
Send the report.

view photos

ℓαℓαℓovie says:

Thanks ColleenM. The issue seems to be resolved. I did report a few images but I tried doing a search again with the same terms and did not turn up any nude images under safe mode.

view photos

Dexell1827 says:

When searching "golden retriever" ( www.flickr.com/search/?q=GOLDEN+RETRIEVER&s=rec ), the right-side boxes for related Groups and Photographers don't always load. The Tag Clusters box does load.

Usually, refreshing the page will set everything right. Today, however, even refreshing the page doesn't fix it.
Dexell1827 edited this topic 57 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

pkingDesign says:

Hi Dexell1827 - What you're describing is an expected behavior designed to ensure that the main part of the page, the photos, load as quickly as possible. Some times it takes a little bit longer for us (the Flickr servers) to put together the data for tag clusters, photographers, etc. and we don't want to hold up displaying the photos that you were searching for. When there's a delay we simply skip the related information on the right side of the page and show your results, thus keeping things moving quickly.

We'd much rather show you both your results and some related info, so we're going to keep tuning things. Speed and accuracy will continue to be the main priorities, but getting the related content in there is important.

Also, I love Golden Retrievers so thanks for that link! :)

view photos

Remko van Dokkum says:

i have a photo with the description ''multiple monitor''.

if i search my personal photostream full text.
i find my photo searching on the text ''multiple monitor''
and i do not find my photo using the text ''monitor multiple''
entered in the seach field without the quotation marks.

that is not fare. / useless.

fix that please.

greets from Amsterdam

Remko van Dokkum.

view photos

Flickr Staff

-Jérôme- says:

Remko van Dokkum:
www.flickr.com/search/?q=monitor multiple&w=24034951@N00
and
www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w=24034951@N00&q=mult...
return the photo in question just fine.
Which search is not working for you?

view photos

jpenneba says:

I noticed no. of views in my pototstream don't match when image is loaded form a set. I suppose because no one loaded my set, but that seams like an easy fix.

view photos

picsbymac says:

@jpenneba, did you mean to add your comment to this thread?.

view photos

jpenneba says:

"f you encounter weirdness, oddities, issues, bugs, etc."

Sorry picsbymac I was responding this this.

view photos

♥ shhexy corin ♥ says:

There are no results when you do a tag search, sorted by interestingness, for "bonsai"

www.flickr.com/search/?q=bonsai&s=int&ss=2&m=...

view photos

♥ shhexy corin ♥ says:

There are no results when you do a tag search, sorted by interestingness, for "bonsai"

www.flickr.com/search/?q=bonsai&s=int&ss=2&m=...

view photos

ColleenM says:

♥ shhexycorin ♥

I get 49,453 results using 'bonsai'
www.flickr.com/search/?q=bonsai&m=tags

view photos

♥ shhexy corin ♥ says:

I do too now... earlier there were none. I checked it several times.

odd

view photos

♥ shhexy corin ♥ says:

If I am on the search page, I enter my search term, press my tab key, I get taken to the home page

:(

view photos

Tim Engstrom says:

I enter the name of a user in a group, and it says there are no results. Preposterous! Is there no way to see all of a single user's posts to a single group?
Posted 56 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

ColleenM says:

Tim Engstrom

Yes, but not the way you are doing it.

First you need the Flickr ID for the user ( xxxxxx@N0x )
Go to the first page of the group pool.
At the bottom, if the user is not among the top five contributors, click any one of the contributors.
When the new page loads, replace that user's ID with the ID of the person you are interested in. Reload the page.

You will now see all the images added to that group pool by that user.
Posted 56 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Paul L Dineen says:

> spyguy999 and clickykbd: It sounds like we have a bug related to accessing high number search pages directly versus accessing them via the Next button.

I see this problem (on 12 Oct 09) for only 6 pages of results. As I just posted at www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/109123/ before discovering this string ...

---

Subject: "black hole: search results page 3 (of 6) has no results"

This consistently happens:

1. search everyone's uploads for: RegensteinLibrary -graffiti

2. Currently, 6 pages of results are returned.

3. From the bottom of the search pages you can jump to any of the search result pages and see its items found -- except for page 3!

4. page 3 always gives the "(red X) We couldn't find anything matching your search" message. That makes no sense, since pages 4 thru 6 show results.

---

Added note:
5. I can get to page 3 via "Next", just not via direct "3".

Posted 55 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

kiwi_kirsch says:

hey! i LOVE the new search.

it only winds me up sometimes.

in one guesswhere group, we have a highscore running, supplied with links to the tag searches for everyone just for a quick check and/or my manual updates of the highscore.

why do those links sometimes mess around that much?

these minutes, my own highcore tagsearch is just giving varying results between 559 and 583.. there's 561, 565, 573, 569 and everything you can imagine being counted, everytime i simply refresh the serach results. sometimes, i can see a page 25 full f results, sometimes i can click on page 25 but it won't show any results, i'm rather asked to check spellings, sometimes, results do only list up 24 pages. how is that?

in case anyone else is wondering how i get those high numbers, well it's because there's lots of stuff marked as private in that guesswherehamburg pool, non-members won't see that if test clicking on that link. but: does anyone else see those varying numbers of search results with every refresh or is it only me?

view photos

kiwi_kirsch says:

oh for the record: most of the time, these search results give me stable numbers and i can properly go through the numbers for a highscore update! the issue like right in this moment is only occuring every now and then - it's only every few times of trying to update that i get this mess. what are those databanks doing in those times?

view photos

kiwi_kirsch says:

hmm.. weird. did flickr people fix it or is it ok again by good luck?

anyway. right now, it's giving me correct and steady numbers again.

view photos

Dave Gorman says:

Tried using search to find one of my own photos... and was told that there were no results even though I know there are 30+ photos in my stream with that word in the tags and titles. ("Owl" if you're curious. It also fails to find anything in my photostream containing "clown")

Tried using another term and it returned all the results I'd expect.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads