Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

Flickr grandfathered Pro subscriptions
Latest: 3 minutes ago
[FIXED] Nothing in feed only 'recommended' images?
Latest: 37 minutes ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 18 hours ago
[Official Thread] All new Flickr galleries
Latest: 4 days ago

Current Discussion

Stats - view counts.
Latest: 15 minutes ago
Where has Explore gone
Latest: 43 minutes ago
Missing information and options when using Firefox to view images
Latest: 87 minutes ago
SEARCH displays only some or none of my tagged photos in the "everybodie's photos" SEARCH RESULTS
Latest: 2 hours ago
Can I use these images on my website for an article ?
Latest: 5 hours ago
Photo is still visible via direct link even after removing it from photostream
Latest: 7 hours ago
Problems With Flickr Payment
Android Flickr App won't stop uploading
Does a previously uploaded private photo enter your feed to contacts at the time it is made public?
Latest: 8 hours ago
None of my images are showing?
Latest: 11 hours ago
Able to view my own images, but not anyone else's
Latest: 14 hours ago
We're having some trouble displaying your feed
Latest: 17 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

maps

timp37 PRO says:

i really enjoy the map feature and was wondering if that will be going away. i enjoy nearby nature photos and if the person maps it i can see where it was taken at. i was wondering if that feature is going away because i only see on my pictures the city where it was taken but you cant click on it.
Posted at 2:45PM, 25 March 2014 PDT ( permalink )

view photos

vip223 PRO says:

yes it's gone, yet another great feature that is no longer visible. why they persist with allowing us to geotag is beyond me when it's (now) pointless
Posted 56 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

timp37 PRO says:

vip223:

i hope they just didnt roll it completely out yet because that is one feature that i really love.

view photos

Ron Fisher PRO says:

I found it useful to see whereabouts in the world photographs were taken when geo-tagged. Why is this facility no longer available?

view photos

inafreeland says:

I really hope the absence of the photopage map is just an oversight and that it is re-added soon. Overall, I don't mind the new layout, but I can't think of why they would remove the map. Being the cartophile that I am, it's a major dealbreaker if it isn't added back in.

view photos

Ron Fisher PRO says:

I've found it !! Open one of your pictures and in the panel on the right are three little white dots. Click on these and up pops a menu; the third item down is 'Add Location'. Click on this and you'll get a message saying go to the Organizr. Do this and up comes the map!

Nothing like as easy as it was before of course.

And nothing to indicate on a picture whether it's been geo-tagged or not...

view photos

Jason Lupi PRO says:

To see maps - go to your photo stream top right - 3 dots - its first on the list.

view photos

sps1955 PRO says:

What Ron Fisher and Jason Lupi say is, of course, true, but (so far as I can tell) applies only to your own photos; it doesn't enable one to see the map location of somebody else's shot.

Staff posted on the feedback forum nearly six months ago, while the new photo page was in "beta", that a map was "definitely" planned: yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/224533-flickr-photo-page-beta/... . I don't know what's to be made of the fact that the page has now been released to English-language users without the map being implemented.

For the time being, you can escape to the "old" design by using the links at the bottom of this page to change the interface language, although I don't suppose that this work around will last for very long!

view photos

Dorsetdunk says:

if you scroll down the panel there is a map pin with the GEO location next to it that will give you excess to the map .
staff are working on it as there is conflict if you have EXIF hidden at present
you can add to map via the 3 dot menu ,
so looks as if maps will still be accessible but hidden on the page .

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339***Incognito PRO says:

Dorsetdunk:

I have not discovered any map pin on the New Photo Page in the panel.

I can click on "Add location" in the threedot menu on the PHoto page.
Then I get this message in a pop up window on the photo:

Add Location
We’re hard at work redesigning our brand new photo experience. For now, you can Add Location in Organizr.

I have enabled exif data, put photo on map but I'll be blown if I can see any "map pin" on the side panel.

The only place where I can access the map is under the threedot menu above the photostream.

view photos

Jason Lupi PRO says:

sps1955:

if you go to a members front page photostream - their map is there with all the images at the bottom and indications of where on the map.

There are no maps on individual images - been like that for ages.

view photos

Dorsetdunk says:

MabelAmber® ***Pluto5339*** Queen of Streetshots:

I have not discovered any map pin on the New Photo Page in the panel.

look below the line break beneath show EXIF
if the image is geotagged the pin and location will show there.
staff sent note to developers as a reminder yesterday
so I am assuming it will be worked on at some point

view photos

MabelAmber️®***Pluto5339***Incognito PRO says:

Dorsetdunk:

look below the line break beneath show EXIF

Auwuw, forgot to click on the little *i* --- gawd.

Thanks! All clear now.

view photos

pamelaadam PRO says:

sadly this no longer works with the geotagging system i use

view photos

Brian E Kushner PRO says:

I see the pin but you can't click on the location and bring up the map.

Here is an issue I have. When I add my backyard photos to a map the WRONG TOWN POPS UP. It has the next town over. Been like that for years. Before I could click on the wrong location and other locations nearby would pop up letting me pick my correct town. This is gone.

view photos

fewstingscorpio PRO says:

timp37:

I do too!

view photos

Meteorry PRO says:

I really hope the map function will be back. I have more than 10.000 photos on Flickr and most of them I put on a map. Putting photos on a map correctly takes -let's say- about 30 seconds. A bit of calculation means that I spent about 83 hours of my life putting photos on a map (my God!) here on Flickr. Hopefully not for nothing!

Please give us back this (great) option as soon as possible.

view photos

view[ ¤ ]finder PRO says:

I see the location but clicking on it does nothing. No map.

This is a dealbreaker for me. I could get used to the new layout but removing the geotagging map is a major blunder on behalf of Yahoo. The only thing keeping me with Flickr is the group discussions. If there's no announcement soon to put back the maps, I won't renew my pro account and I'll just check in once in a while to check the discussions.

If anyone is interested, 500px has the map feature. You have the option of seeing either DETAILS or LOCATION. Click on location, and a small map pops up showing where the photo was taken.

I've been trying out 500px for a while now and am extremely pleased with the community and the responsiveness of the designers to the users' ideas on how to improve it.

Check it out here www.500px.com

view photos

ill-fated argument says:

When I switch to another interface language, I can click on the location of a geotagged photo, and the localized map pops up. When I switch back to English, it doesn't work anymore. Clicking the icon next to the location doesn't do anything either.

Incidentally, I love the way flickr is clamoring for feedback. There are 50 pages of complaints (that's about 1,000 complaints so far) in Knowledge Base - Yahoo Feedback about the maps, and they are still "gathering feedback"! Why?

view photos

Emma Marie's Photos says:

Brian E Kushner:
This is a good point, and something I use often as well. Really hope they put this back!

view photos

Nicolas Mertens:

Right now the switch is only in the US. Changing your language allows the old interface but not for long.

view photos

Toby Garden PRO says:

Couldn't believe they get rid of this important geotag function - I want it back, please!!

view photos

adaptable afternoon PRO says:

Maps .. or lack thereof. Just one example again of Flickr rolling out an incomplete/buggy interface.

view photos

Ministry PRO says:

Brian E Kushner:

No, it's the English language version. I'm not in the USA.

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi PRO says:

view[ ¤ ]finder:

Check it out here www.500px.com

I'm on 500px too, and it does indeed do many things much better than Flickr does, but how do you like having all images cropped to squares in their version of *photostream?* To me, that is a major downfall - one that would definitely get Flickr users riled up bigtime if it were implemented here.

Not to mention, they have no groups at all....so on that front, it's really not an apples-to-apples comparison.

view photos

Darren LoPrinzi:

how do you like having all images cropped to squares in their version of *photostream?*
Well, at first i didn't like it, but I know why they did it; the creators have heavy backgrounds in design, and visually, it's better balanced. To maintain uniformity, all images are displayed on a page while allowing the largest possible view.

But the photographer in me believes they could do it better by keeping the same square space but filling it with an uncropped image. Unfortunately, that creates more empty space. Regardless, those who really object to it seem to be in the minority. Other design issues where there's been outspoken negative opinion have been quickly responded to with positive changes.
Not to mention, they have no groups at all
Yes, agreed. It's Flickr's one big advantage, which is why I'll likely stay with it, but trim back my photostream to just the minimum and not renew my pro account.

view photos

Ministry:

Correct. This is an issue only with English language Flickr accounts. Changing the language preference fixes the problem - at least until those languages are switched over too. I'm in Canada so I speak some French. Switching it to that language reverted my account back to what it looked like on March 24th.

So now I have the maps back ... at least for now.

For those who don't speak another language, switch to another one anyway. Anyone who's been with Flickr for a while knows all the navigation buttons anyway. Try German, Dutch or maybe Danish if you want a language that has the most similarity.

Edit: The language preferences are at the bottom of most Flickr pages.

view photos

Paradise Road says:

I can access the maps by going to the 3 dots - then it tells me to go to organiser, but when I add the location to the map it is not saved. indeed when I try to exit organiser it asks me if I'm sure i want to leave the page as there are unsaved changes - but no save button is visible?? I actually thought it saved your changed automatically.

so do Flickr read these pages or do i report a fault elsewhere?

or am I missing something?

thanks in advance for anyone who can help

view photos

Stu_Jo PRO says:

What kills me is how none of this seems to be addressed/picked up before they roll out their product. Anyway been reading about GM and the Cobalt? Thank God Yahoo isn't building cars.

view photos

janetfo747 ~ Dreaming of Africa PRO says:

I love the map - please give the option - with the new format! It is a real enchantment to the photo experience

thanks Jan

view photos

I just posted a picture. It has the wrong town, can't change it.

view photos

joshua_putnam PRO says:

For those who want the stable interface instead of the beta, but don't speak another language, changing browsers can help, too. IE9 still shows the stable interface instead of the beta, even in English. (Not the most elegant workaround, but more elegant than the beta page ;-)

view photos

joshua_putnam PRO says:

Brian E Kushner:

The ability to edit bad location names has come up repeatedly in the feedback page for the beta, no indication when or if they're planning to fix it, but they do know it's broken.

I do have to wonder what service they're using for location names, it seems so badly wrong even for well-mapped parts of the U.S.

view photos

ernstkers PRO says:

Brian E Kushner:

It has the wrong town

That's normal. The geographical knowledge of Flickr is very poor.

Brian E Kushner:
can't change it.

Two work arounds:
1) Change temporary to another language. The links to do that are on every page except the new photopage and the organizr.
2) In the url of the photopage is a unique number. This is the photo_id. Go to this page and narrow down via the childrens lists to find your location name. Take from that the woe_id number. Go to this page and put both photo_id and woe_id in the fields. Don't bother about the required foursquare_id. Click call method. The name of the location is now changed.

view photos

John Oram PRO says:

MabelAmber® ***Pluto5339*** Queen of Streetshots:

The map pin is next to the location name when provided. The problem is that you can not click through. The user needs to do that to edit the often incorrect place names. The dots are easy to put in the right place especially with satellite overlay but the names generated are frequently wildly wrong.

view photos

John Oram PRO says:

joshua_putnam:

Goodness knows how many times I have raised exactly this.

view photos

John Oram PRO says:

Brian E Kushner:

Exactamente - please add your voice to mine. I am shouting to be heard above the wind of change.

view photos

ernstkers PRO says:

joshua_putnam:

I do have to wonder what service they're using for location names

As far as I know it's own made, six years ago and never updated.

Some reverse engineering (guessing) let me believe that many maps were scanned, included a number which were already several centuries old. A text recognising program was used to harvest the names and these were dumped at random into the database that is used. There was no control if the names were spelled correct, still in use, connected to the correct long/lat or really indicated a location and not something else.

view photos

joshua_putnam PRO says:

ernstkers:

Followed your instructions, but receive an error, required argument missing.

The only blank argument is the required foursquare ID, and the place name has not been corrected for the photo.

view photos

j.miner PRO says:

There are three icons on the right of the displayed photo. "Info" (the circled i), "Also In", and "Tags".

The location is on the "Info" tab. However, as others have noted, the location is not clickable.

Hopefully Flickr will fix this.

view photos

ernstkers PRO says:

joshua_putnam:

I just tested it, still works for me. I can change location names with that method.

view photos

greg_guarino PRO says:

I fully expect that eventually, and without warning, the pictures themselves will disappear. It will be described as a "cleaner, uncluttered interface" and "wicked fast" too.

I simply cannot understand the mindset that removes functionality that still exists in the system. If I don't mind learning a few new words in French I can still find the location of some fascinating scene on a map - for a little while longer anyway - until they decide to inflict the newest awesomeness on the French as well.

It's still there, but they choose not to let us access it. Why?

view photos

Dorsetdunk says:

greg_guarino:

It's still there, but they choose not to let us access it. Why?

as i gather from past posts on this issue.....
there is a map pin and GPS location text below the break after show EXIF ,eventually that will give you access to the map ,staff fired off a note a couple of days ago to the developers as there was a conflict when exif is hidden so they are figuring out how to rework it

view photos

sps1955 PRO says:

Dorsetdunk:

there was a conflict when exif is hidden so they are figuring out how to rework it

I don't think that the non-availability of maps on individual photos in the NPE is confined to users who hide their exif. I do not hide mine but the location information and map pin, although they appear, still don't constitute a link to a map. It's somewhat ironic that, in the previous photo page design, the location was easy to see, but it was hard to spot that it was a link to a map; in the NPE, the location information is pretty hard to find, is marked with a map pin, but isn't a link ...

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

Dorsetdunk:

The conflict with EXIF data will still hide the location name. The map isn't linked from the page now regardless. (I'm still hoping it'll come back with some new map overhaul. IIRC, staff said they were working on maps. But I can't remember where I read that or when.)

view photos

Dorsetdunk says:

sps1955:

is marked with a map pin, but isn't a link

probably because its not fixed yet

view photos

LookaroundAnne PRO says:

When I try to use maps it does say they are working on this still, maps are important to me and I don't like the way it works in organiser. I seriously hope when it's sorted it works well and is easily visible. I'm switching between German and English at the moment, aviary also seems to be more consistently working while using German. I don't speak German but am coping, I speak little French and can't find aviary while in French.

view photos

ill-fated argument says:

If you are using Firefox and willing to add another add-on, you might be interested in this: www.flickr.com/groups/flickrhacks/discuss/72157642964427933/

view photos

amazingstoker PRO says:

So have just been trying to find out how to view maps with NPE and, if I understand this thread correctly Flickr have rolled out the NPE, created a dinky little map icon, but don't allow you to click the icon to see the map , arrrrrgh!

view photos

Stu_Jo PRO says:

I guess those of us who geotagged and enjoyed using the map were in the minority (or too old for Yahoo's demographic) - It kills me that the location of the photo is listed but you can't click on it to see it on the map anymore.
Posted 55 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

ColleenM says:

Stu_Jo:

That is coming back. See the staff thread about updates to the new page.

view photos

Meteorry PRO says:

ColleenM:

That's good news, can't wait.

Too bad the staff does not take any effort for a quick response to this topic.

view photos

Niko S90 PRO says:

If you want to see the map off a photo, just add ?map=1 to the end of the URL. Make sure it has the / in front of it. (should be there by default)
This the only way for me to view the map unless I use old way with ?details=1 behind the URL of a photostream.

view photos

sps1955 PRO says:

Niko S90:

If you want to see the map off a photo, just add ?map=1 to the end of the URL.

Does that work for you with the new photo page? I have just tried it with some of my photos (using Chrome 33 under Windows 7) and it doesn't do anything, I'm afraid, unless I switch the interface language to French so that I can view the previous photo page design - in which case the location information underneath the photo can be clicked to bring the map up anyway.

view photos

Niko S90 PRO says:

sps1955:

(using Chrome 33 under Windows 7) and it doesn't do anything,

I have look at one of your photos www.flickr.com/photos/40878011@N07/13464975385/?map=1 and it worked. I am using Opera 12.16 - Language = English.
The church is in Church Street, Little Shelford.

view photos

sps1955 PRO says:

Niko S90:

Thanks! I tried following your link but, as when I tried it before, I simply get the new style photo page without any map display. You obviously saw the map. But did you get it in conjunction with the new photo page with comments on the right against a dark background, roughly like this (the screenshot is a bit out of date, but the basic layout is still the same)?

flickr beta photo page with sidebar expanded 2013-11-24 by sps1955

view photos

Niko S90 PRO says:

sps1955:

But did you get it in conjunction with the new photo page with comments on the right against a dark background,

No, I have not seen that screen. I get the comments on the left, as it has been since May 2013, and the map gets displayed on top of it.
I did not even know that there was another change.
I hate dark a background, it is bad for the eyes. I even hate the new upload page and cannot look at it for than 2 two or three minutes. It really puts me off uploading. What is the point of it?
Each time I end up on a black website, I look for the three sixes.
(I have just paid for another year of pro.)

view photos

Niko S90 PRO says:

Hi sps1955, I just uploaded a screenshot.
This is what I get.
Capture

Can you still get the screen? www.flickr.com/photos/40878011@N07/?details=1

Try out the map from there.
It probably does not work either, but you never know.

view photos

sps1955 PRO says:

Niko S90:

Thanks very much for the additional information and for taking the trouble to do the screenshot. I haven't used the /?details=1 view of a photostream much lately - I tend now to go to fluidr when I want to browse through a photostream, set or group; I had forgotten that there's a link to the map under each geo-tagged photo. As you predicted, though, it doesn't take me to a display of the map any more - it generates the /?map=1 URL but what I see is the new-style photo page without a map.

Our different experiences are down to our different browsers, I think. Opera doesn't appear to be on Flickr's list of supported browsers ( help.yahoo.com/kb/flickr/SLN7452.html?impressions=true ) and, like older versions of IE and some others, evidently gives you the 2013 photo page design that, for me, was superseded about 10 days ago. Obviously the older version is best for you. Indeed, a lot of things are easier to do with that page (not only viewing a photo on a map) and the description and comments against a white ground are, as you say, less tiring to read, although I can see the aesthetic argument for a dark background throughout and I also admit that, looking at photos on a 1366x768 resolution laptop, I quite like having the comments to the right of the photo so that I can easily look from one to the other (but that seems to put me in a minority among the people who comment in this forum!)

Most of the workarounds that involve appending something to the URL still work for me because the old pages are still there, but sadly /?map=1 doesn't, I presume because it generates a pop up rather than a complete new page - and the new photo page just isn't set up to generate the pop up.

There are workarounds that will bring up the old photo page (including, evidently, using Opera!) although I don't know how long some of them will last and I wonder whether using an un-supported browser might have drawbacks elsewhere. Otherwise, I'll have to wait on the outcome of the somewhat gnomic statement that "We also know that displaying the photo on a map and adding location information is a large part of what makes Flickr. We will be bringing location tagging over time." ( official post at www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157643233968983/page7/ ).

view photos

Niko S90 PRO says:

sps1955:

Having the details on the right is actually not a bad idea if the background wasn't black. I know that Opera is no longer supported and I hope you are right about opera not liking the new look. Only time will tell.
I will never ever use Chrome, it's Google.
Tanks for the reply and good luck.
P.S. the screenshot has 15 views so far and it does not even have any tags.

view photos

sps1955 PRO says:

Niko S90:

good luck

Thank you!

view photos

ColetteSimonds PRO says:

Actually, the locations are not accurate. I posted 2 items this morning and placed them on the map. But the location indicated on the photo page is wrong and that's frustrating.

view photos

Well now if you click on Maps you still don't get the location, you only get a listing of other shots taken in the same place.
Still can't change location either.

What a mess.

view photos

Still not right.
Posted 54 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Jasperdo says:

Flickr user oledoe put together a mockup of how the map could be incorporated into the new photo page. It's a terrific idea. I hope Flickr is looking:

Mockup of how geotag info could be displayed on new photo page

view photos

sps1955 PRO says:

Jasperdo:

Flickr user oledoe put together a mockup of how the map could be incorporated into the new photo page. It's a terrific idea. I hope Flickr is looking

I agree!

view photos

Yes very nice. Still concerned how you can't edit the location when FLICKR gives you wrong town or location.

view photos

Meteorry PRO says:

Jasperdo:

Great idea. Would love to that.

view photos

fishhawk says:

The map view displays as usual in the organizer and a photo can be dragged to the desired location. A region text name is assigned to the locator pin. When you click on the locator pin, the map is not displayed. Instead a string of other images linked to the region text name displays. Please bring back the map view display. If I want to see other images from that particular region, I will search for them. I just want to see the map view.

view photos

histogram_man says:

I continue to geotag my pictures in the hope that it might be possible some day for others to see the locations if they are interested.

We got new camera icons which are of very limited value but we still can't have something back that was useful.

view photos

Jasperdo says:

histogram_man:

I'm doing the same. I feel foolish geotaging my photos now, when no one can see them on the map anymore. But I'm in hopes that it will be restored soon. I wish Flickr would at least tell us one way or the other if Maps will be returned to the photo page. I don't want to waste my time adding them to the map in the Organizr if it's pointless.

view photos

Dave Smith PRO says:

+1 to all of this!
The old-old-old Flickr layout used to include a mini-map at the side that zoomed is as you passed the mouse over it. I was sad enough when this vanished. Now you can't get to see a photo's location at all, it's really sad.

I'll certainly be looking in to some of these Firefox addons that hack it back, but that's not the whole point. Yes, I want to see where other people's amazing photos are taken, but I also want other people to see where mine are taken, and I don't have control over what addons their browser have! Please please please restore some way of seeing any person's geotagged photo on a map!
Posted 53 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

spelio PRO says:

inafreeland:

You can click on the location on an iPad and see the map.

But the map like on the old Flickr would be great to see again!

view photos

amazingstoker PRO says:

Dave Smith:

The old-old-old Flickr layout used to include a mini-map at the side [...] I was sad enough when this vanished.

Yep, me too. I really don't understand why Flickr just keep on stripping away the site functionality.

view photos

spelio PRO says:

The Yahoo Project Weather Group will not accept images unless they are geo-coded!!!

view photos

Marlis1 PRO says:

amazingstoker:

I really don't understand why Flickr just keep on stripping away the site functionality.

me neither,
but hey, we got camera icons, 2/3 of which are wrong. just awesome!
edit
Marlis1 edited this topic 53 months ago.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads