Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Using a Yahoo username and password to sign in to Flickr
Latest: 7 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Update on the new photo experience
Latest: 6 hours ago
[Official Thread] Detailed explanation of new features in Flickr 3.0 apps
Latest: 8 hours ago
[Official Thread] Take a survey to help us improve Flickr groups
Latest: 20 hours ago
[Official Thread] Providing feedback on Flickr 3.0 for iOS and Android
Latest: 7 days ago

Current Discussion

Merging Accounts.
Latest: 13 minutes ago
my flickr page has changed
Latest: 44 minutes ago
Group Codes
Latest: 53 minutes ago
Difficulties accessing an old Flickr account.
Latest: 56 minutes ago
How do I transfer photos from some else's account?
Latest: 58 minutes ago
Google sign-in not working... error
Latest: 70 minutes ago
no information at all on pictures this morning
Latest: 82 minutes ago
Guest Pass missing/no longer working - viewers have NO download options even for Public photos
Latest: 89 minutes ago
Actual resolution for Photobook pages
Latest: 2 hours ago
[bug] clear example of search exclude invert/fail (Was: Search changes advanced search?
Maps
How to batch remove photos from the auto sync (auto upload) set?
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Topic] Photo Session!

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard says:

Hello Flickrverse,

We have just launched Photo Session which lets you flip through photos with friends in other places in real time. For more info on what Photo Session is check out our Photo Session FAQs. There also more information on our blog about this new feature.

If you have any problem, feedback or questions about Photo Session let us know here! :)

Update Dec 8, 2011: We've added accessibility improvements and increased the initial time a Photo Session is live for from 24 hours to 72. Read more…

Update: Nov 18, 2011: We've now added support for Internet Explorer 9 and Photo Session is available in all 10 Flickr languages

Update: Nov 8, 2011: We've updated photosession with new brush sizes and a button to clear the current drawing.

Update: Feb, 2011: As we noted in the Flickr Blog a little earlier this year, Photo Session will be discontinued towards the end of March. The feature had been developed as a technology showcase, but has not seen the user adoption we were hoping for. The feature will be turned-off by March 20, but we will continue to use the technology in other parts of Flickr.
Posted at 2:02PM, 20 June 2011 PDT ( permalink )
pkingDesign (staff) edited this topic 27 months ago.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 106 replies in [Official Topic] Photo Session!)
view photos

IrenicRhonda says:

Umm? Your FAQ link leads back here?
Posted 31 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Flickr Staff

Ross says:

IrenicRhonda: Thanks! Zack's fixed it.

view photos

IrenicRhonda says:

Ta, but now I can't find the link to the demo within the FAQ?

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

FAQ says "Here's a little demo…" but there's no demo. The next FAQ says "Image" but there's no image. :-)

view photos

sathyanittur says:

testing

view photos

RubyMae says:

I see the demo image in the FAQ.

view photos

RubyMae says:

(It's very bizarre that the OP is dated 5:02 PM June 20, for a feature just launched today...I do remember seeing "ghost" official topics around the same time)

view photos

IrenicRhonda says:

Demo is there now.

It's obviously taken this long to iron out the bugs (because there aren't any, are there?)

view photos

Redfishingboat (Mick O) says:

Thanks for the cool new feature! Just want to take a moment to remember Photophlow.and give some props :) I hope this is very successful.

view photos

...Steve says:

The pen nib on the pen tool is way too thick and makes the tool as useful as a crayon.

view photos

RubyMae says:

Crayons can be very useful.

view photos

jakerome says:

I can only see part of the chat window, and can't see the part where I'm supposed to type actual text.

Running Firefox & Safari on LION, via some possibly flaky Southwest Air WiFi.

Only a few hours to solve this problem...

view photos

Flickr Staff

Ross says:

jakerome: Thanks for the report. Can you post a screenshot?

view photos

Todd Klassy says:

I love the new Photo Sessions feature. However, it contains a bug (perhaps deliberately).

As it works now, an owner can not change the default size of the images to their native resolution. In other words, Photo Session, like Slide Show, "embiggens" the images, which is an extreme, visceral annoyance of mine.

As photographers, we never want to show a photograph above and beyond its native resolution. It becomes pixelated and it is very bush league. Why on Earth does Flickr prevent us (the customer and owner of the photographs) from being able set a Photo Session or Slide Show to only show images at their native resolution?

I'm hoping there is some way I can get an answer to this question, and I am also hoping there is some way I can convince Flickr that this is wrong in both the case of your new Photo Session product AND the existing Slide Show product.

I love Flickr, but because of this one quirk I am one Flickr customer who will now never use Photo Session (sadly)...unless Flickr gives me the ability to show images ONLY in their native resolution.

I hope you can help.

view photos

davе says:

feedback: when i zoom into a photo it doesn't use the highest resolution version. it just zooms in on the 1024 pixel copy and goes pixelated. which kinda defeats the point in the zoom from my perspective.

also there's no clear way i can see to erase scribbles.

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

So, I created a photo session for one of my sets. I was going to then send a message to someone about joining it later, so I copied the URL. Unfortunately, I got distracted by something else and didn't get to send my message before my clipboard got overwritten.

How do I get the URL of my existing session? Are they listed somewhere in a "currently active session" list that I can find?

and here's a hypothetical...

Let's say I start a session and a few friends join. I have to step away so I close my browser. Later, I turn on my iPad and want to join the existing session where my friends are. How do I find it?

view photos

jakerome says:

Screenshot:

Screen Shot 2011-09-28 at 5.17.10 PM

That's on Mac Lion Firefox 6 via Southwest Air WiFi. Same deal on Chrome & Safari.

view photos

Neil Fitzgerald says:

Does it only show public photos from sets?

view photos

Flickr Staff

eMiLy @_@ says:

Hello Brenda,

Currently, there isn't a list/history of photo session urls. But we’re looking into ways to make it more better and we will pass this idea to the development team.

Hello Neil,

Yes, it only show public photos.

view photos

Todd Klassy says:

Hi Emily. Do you have an answer for my issue?

view photos

jakerome says:

Gotta say I'm not happy about the solution offered here to allow 3rd party cookies, www.flickr.com/help/sharing/#38300240 . Most browsers allow blocking 3rd party cookies w/ exceptions on a case-by-case basis. There are lots of great reasons to block 3rd party cookies. The #1 reason is that I really have no interest in Facebook tracking essentially every website I visit with a "like" button.

Hope you can update that so that you help Flickr customers enjoy sessions without ceding the privacy of their web browsing.

view photos

chloe & ivan says:

dave mentioned what is my very first question,
can you erase the scribbles?

view photos

RubyMae says:

Bug (similar to Jake's): I clicked on the arrow to expand the black chat/guest list box and then could not unexpand it, which meant it covered 50% of the photo I was supposed to be viewing. Also, the small text window at the bottom didn't scroll to keep up with my typing, so I was often typing blindly. I didn't see any "post" button so I just hit the enter key, which worked but not everyone will figure that out.

Couldn't figure out how to erase crayon scribbles after making them.

WindowsXP, FF 6.0.2

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

click the drawing button to erase it (that turns drawing off and erases anything that you did)

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

The unexpand thing is a click/drag back to the corner control... I was expecting it to be a one-click button thing.

view photos

davе says:

but it all comes back if you want to start drawing again.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

"Also, the small text window at the bottom didn't scroll to keep up with my typing, so I was often typing blindly"

I saw that too. If you type more than X number of characters, you're typing off the edge of the screen.

"I clicked on the arrow to expand the black chat/guest list box and then could not unexpand it, which meant it covered 50% of the photo I was supposed to be viewing"

When I expanded the chat box, it was a drag-and-drop expansion (no click to expand that I could see). It dragged to the size I wanted, and then the same for smallifying it.

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

turn off drawing, move to the next photo, move back, turn drawing back on. it should be blank (it is for me)

view photos

kukkurovaca says:

That's a really silly way to handle erasure. There should be a "delete drawings" button, and preferably also an eraser tool.

Also, there's an icon that I think pretty much universally means "settings," except here it opens an info-and-links panel where you can't change any settings.

And yeah, the text entry box is...not ideal. : )

view photos

5cats.org says:

Can you record and archive a photosession ?
I can imagine setting up and conducting a photosession, then later replay that whole session -- scribbles, comments and all.

view photos

kukkurovaca says:

And...now it's persistently kicking me out.

view photos

Monsignor Klaatu says:

this needs to work with galleries as well
Also, group streams should have this functions.

and it is persistently kicking me out too, you guys should check for people who have not signed out for a long time and this

5cats is well, if you guys advance the art, you could save it as emails to users that want it and then they could play it in their email or make it as a vid from their email and then save it back to flickr, something liek that

view photos

Monsignor Klaatu says:

I am using safari and it seems to me, safari causes log outs with the session, check it out

view photos

Engineer J says:

Testing it now feature by feature. I would like some transparency control for chat window. Long chats cover a lot of photo.
Also can chat window minimize itself when i need to flip a picture using right side button?
Pressing the /? Key doesnt do anything. I assume there arent any keyboard shortcuts for photo session page :(
Engineer J edited this topic 31 months ago.

view photos

Éothain says:

It looks very cool...thank you very much:)

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

Based on the name "Photo Session", it makes sense that it only shows photos and not videos, but, if that's the case, there should be better messaging if you Start a Photo Session via the Share menu on a set that contains only videos.

The session started ( photosession.flickr.com/s/roweuac ) and then this flashed on the screen:

Screen shot 2011-09-29 at 7.43.02 PM

Maybe it's a special case, but perhaps there should be some indication that if a set contains videos and photos, that only the photos will be shown; and that if a set contains no photos, that the session can't be created.

view photos

Stijn Swinnen (www.stijnswinnen.be) says:

Very nice tool, I can think of many reasons how I could use this.

Though there are maybe some additional tools missing which could make the experience more 'rich' and better:

- adjust the size of the drawing tool
- add webcam and sound integration (only for the host or for all?), could be helpful for small group live casts.
- better transparency for chat window (or show necessary shortcuts)
- let each guest use one color for drawing and show that next to their names, so you know who is drawing what

view photos

gabriele.colabruno says:

Very Cool!

view photos

stefanolista says:

Moderation please. Anyone can do anything. It's really frustrating :)

view photos

Kusoma - LMEF says:

It needs to have a "Close Photo Session" link under the tools/preferences gear icon. I know it's as simple as closing my browser tab...but I still spent some time looking for the little "X" icon to close the session.

Great job overall, though!

view photos

Alessandro Casagli says:

save/delete the drawings and sizable brushes please.

view photos

WuaKuang says:

Bold Font is hard to read.

view photos

Femto Photography says:

it's me or the pictures quality in the photo session viewver is not very good ? (a little pixelated)

édit: it's for the pictures where the maximum size is : 1024 x 698, if I have an image bigger than that, the quality is good
Femto Photography edited this topic 31 months ago.

view photos

BigGuy4U2011 says:

Will it ever be available for members with private, restricted photos to use ? But I see you have a lot of kinks to work out first. Us with private, restricted photos cant even turn it on to test even with safe photos in our stream. Thanks it sounds like a promising feature.

view photos

BeccaG says:

The brush size is way too big. Please make it smaller or so that the user can select from a few different sizes.

When typing the in text box I can see the first few words and everything else just disappears off the side of the browser so you can't see it (using the newest firefox on mac IOS 10.6.8).

I was in a session the other day with 2 other people and we kept getting kicked out of the session.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard says:

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. Keep them coming.

Good find on the error Brenda, I'll file a bug. :)

view photos

ErcanY. says:

For better discussion on Photography, EXIF info should be included. It's generally great for now.

view photos

ErcanY. says:

Second point: I have created the session, I have no problem but my guest lose the connection frequently

view photos

justjimwilldo says:

Not happy with having to accept third party cookies.

Keep getting logged out and in on the chat server.

Brush line too thick, as mentioned.

Chat in put window needs to scroll or expand, as mentioned.

Otherwise looks good for these early days. The 3rd party cookies is a deal breaker for me though.

view photos

Christopher Haugh says:

Hi,

Quick question... How do I remove something I drew on a photo? I tried ctrl-z which didn't work and was unable to see any menu options.

I'm using Internet Explorer 9 on Windows 7 64 bit.

Chris

view photos

chipple says:

Sounds like a lot of fun!

At first glance, I thought it would be nice to be able to jump to a certain point in the set. I have a set of 600+ photos that might take a few separate sessions to go through.

view photos

Anish Palekar says:

There should be a scroll bar of pics at the bottom, and easy way to go to the first pic...

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

How do I remove something I drew on a photo?
Go to the next photo then go back. That resets the drawing.

view photos

Daniel Kulinski says:

looks goooooooood :)
1. It should be a notification that someone wrote a message - something like FB. tab to show information.
2. could use a history of changes in the photo - those drawn.
Daniel Kulinski edited this topic 31 months ago.

view photos

accesorio18 says:

good idea anish

view photos

xordiet1979 says:

It could be nice to show all the photos of the album in the bottom and let jump to any photo.

view photos

xordiet1979 says:

Sorry for my poor english, but I've doubts with clossing the session.
It's any way to close the session? If one users close the browser it take a long time to show the message that he's gone.
If everybody closes it session, the link is still alive? I had created a session and everyone had gone, after that I've gone to the album and tried to open a session with the same album, and it genered a new link (a new photosession) but I typed the old one and it was still working. It's possible to use allways the same link/session? or destroy the old one to avoid multiples photosessions of the same album.

view photos

munira_zen says:

The quality of display is great but the pics display is just to big. Could you frame it where the pics is in the middle not at the back of the info bar? Its a bit annoying.

view photos

Lst1984 says:

Hey!

It looks like a cool idea, it might be very useful to piss our friends off by showing them more and more pictures all the time.
But, is there any chance that we can have the background in white (maybe you can create an option to change the background color or something)??
My pics really look bad with the black background because I frame them to look cooler matching the plain white of flickr´s normal background color.
Example: flic.kr/pp/jikcdvs (this is the photosession) and
www.flickr.com/photos/lst1984/ (this is the normal photostream look)

Thanks!

view photos

MabelAmber® ***Pluto5339*** Queen of Streetshots says:

Spam from jhjdhsauynk reported

view photos

Sean Palmer says:

I'm not to keen on the upscaling, a great idea and works very well though, thanks

view photos

Tibor 1 says:

is there a way to have the link you can send to invite others have the option of showing public photos only OR friends/family? (much like the current guest pass options are set up). Currently, I can seem to only share public photos via the Photo Session.

view photos

marcy23 says:

Cool,Photo Session

view photos

Helix Wang (SBG) says:

Can you sharpen the pencil some more, the lines are too thick. :-)

view photos

trilli bagus says:

PhotoSession looks cool, but still don't get the drawing thing. I've wrote something red on my pic and luckily it disappeared on my photostream, but is still on on PS. I need to check out the chat thing.

view photos

sardar farooq karim chairman world human rights or says:

sardar farooq karim chairman world human rights orgnization

view photos

bsheets says:

I have been unable to start a photo session yet. I always get this error, "There was a problem creating a Photo Session. Please ensure that you're connected to the internet and then reload the page." I've tried both Chrome and Safari on my Mac using OS X 10.7.2

view photos

Silent_Soliloquy says:

Love this application, I will be looking intently on your improvements! Great idea and execution! The drawing feature should have a line thickness edit, this would be a great tool in a classroom setting for compositional analasis and cross examination. I can see a professional interest if purchasing prints at the push of a button is possible, then this could be a portfolio shopping application.
Posted 30 months ago. ( permalink )
Silent_Soliloquy edited this topic 30 months ago.

view photos

منتجع الكناري - الطائف says:

HI

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

athiwat_kai's two-week old spam reported.

view photos

fotos_stiebe says:

Nice idea. We should be able to temporary allow private photos access on it.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard says:

Hi all,

Just wanted to update you here. A few days ago we updated Photo Session with 2 new features:

* New brush sizes
* A button to clear the current drawings

Enjoy!

view photos

loupiote (Old Skool) pro says:

is that the flickr version of Google+ "Hangouts"?

view photos

Paradis Photographis says:

How do you get out of PS? I started a session but then just wanted to get back to my stream.
Also the ability to see non-public photos would be good, too.

view photos

Christine T. says:

Comments: I just found this feature, and I love it! I think the interactive feature is literally sharing your photos with friends, where either you or your friends are holding the photos and flipping through each one.

Feedback: Drawing directly on the images would be a little glitchy and laggy. Drawings would sometimes partially disappear, then reappear, or they would partially disappear without reappearing again.

The feature also seems to be a little laggy, with or without drawings on the photos. The lag would increase with the amount of drawings. Users could also "fight for control" with the navigation.

Suggestions: It'd be nice to have an individual undo button instead of clearing the entire drawing layer. Maybe each user could be drawing on their own editable layer? A "save" feature for drawings on photos would be fantastic!

Looking forward to seeing further updates :)
Posted 29 months ago. ( permalink )
Christine T. edited this topic 29 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Zack Sheppard says:

Hi all! Thanks for the feedback. We have a couple updates to Photo Session today.

The time a Photo Session is live for has been increased from 24 to 72 hours. (with the option to extend it if you're still using it as always).

We've also made some accessibility enhancements. There is improved keyboard support to enable operation of Photo Session using keyboard exclusively and improved support for screen readers with automatic announcement of incoming chat messages, slide changes and important status messages.
Posted 29 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

itssocAto says:

buenisimo! :D pero esta en marcha o solo es de prueba? porque me dice que es una vista previa
Posted 28 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

itssocAto
Google Translate:

buenisimo! : D but this is only up or test? because I say it's a preview

Photo Session is a new feature on Flickr. (It was new in June 2011, anyway.) It's not a test or preview.

view photos

Bertron8 says:

[Well, that's too bad]
Bertron8 edited this topic 28 months ago.

view photos

Bertron8 says:

[Oh well, it's still great]
Bertron8 edited this topic 28 months ago.

view photos

jane_sanders says:

As a recent Flickr blog states Photo Session will be turned off in March, Flickr won't be developing it further.

view photos

ernstkers says:

Bad news for you. From the Flickr blog:
Photo Session is a feature that offered a real-time way to share photos with other people in a browser, with no additional apps to install. The feature had been developed as a technology showcase, but has not seen the user adoption we were hoping for. The feature will be turned-off by March 20, but we will continue to use the technology in other parts of Flickr.

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

[never mind]

view photos

RubyMae says:

I think the official staff post up top should be updated to reflect the information from the flickr blog.

view photos

Prefi says:

The word "Super". Thanks and best wishes
Posted 27 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Si lo sientes dilo, Si lo dices demuestralo. says:

flic.kr/pp/adwhynh

view photos

Cristale MODE says:

bonsoir a tous

view photos

dinesh_valke says:

Thank you very much, genius team at flickr.

view photos

M'sheArt2 says:

Cool!

Now if I could only upload my photos in my real time...

view photos

Ngo Quang Ha says:

it's nice..

however, if there is a function to select photo randomly (not sequential as this test) from photostream then it's much nicer.

view photos

10dier says:

HI,
Congrats, it's very nice idea.
However, I really think you should add this button to erase the latest drawing, without deleting ALL the drawings we just did. All Photo/Drawing iPhone apps got this, it shouldn't be too difficult to do it.
Cheers all : )
Posted 26 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

10dier

However, I really think you should add this button

I doubt Flickr is still developing this tool, which they've said will be discontinued soon. From the staff post at top:

"Update: Feb, 2011: As we noted in the Flickr Blog a little earlier this year, Photo Session will be discontinued towards the end of March."

view photos

letuancs says:

goog

view photos

Patrick Costello says:

Might help if that post said Feb 2012 :-)

view photos

Nirjhor Nandonik says:

Awesomeness!

view photos

kmacgray says:

Awesomeness!

What is? The feature itself, or the fact that Flickr is dumping it? : )

view photos

jane_sanders says:

Spam from flayawaynow reported.

view photos

whirrdz says:

I just learned about this feature this morning -- started to use it, found it interesting & now learn not to bother with it because it's being dumped. How odd. Perhaps it wasn't adopted by many users because few actually KNEW it existed? I don't check this help forum, nor the blog unless the site actually is having a bout of hiccups, or is down... it was only on a whim that I even noticed that there was a new app today. I remember when flickr used to announce these sorts of updates & changes at the top of our photostream/home page when we'd log on & I'd reckon that might have helped other members think to give this a whirl in preview.

view photos

Mike (AlienZen) says:

Someone shared info on this app on their photo stream today, and I see it is a year old, and being decomissioned.
This is the first I ever heard of it.
No wonder it never got the user adoption you were hoping for. Nobody I know has ever even heard of it.

view photos

moment23stockholm says:

Pls, make Photo Session available again!
Wanted this for a long time and found out to late…

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 106 replies in [Official Topic] Photo Session!)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads