Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

Change to Limit of "Groups a Photo Can Be Submitted To"
Latest: 5 minutes ago
Group Settings Update to Ignore Photo Posting Limits
Latest: 58 minutes ago
[Official thread] New commercial use section of Flickr Community Guidelines
Latest: 10 hours ago
[Fixing - staff response] Very slow and many pandas today
Latest: 13 hours ago
[Official Thread] Login issues? Try this.
Latest: 15 hours ago
[fixing - staff response] "this photo is no longer available"
Latest: 31 hours ago

Current Discussion

Profile hidden/not searchable
Latest: 68 seconds ago
Free follow-up programme for PicMonkey?
Latest: 81 seconds ago
[Official Thread] Introducing the Flickr Camera Roll (Beta)
Latest: 24 minutes ago
Unwanted tags
Latest: 56 minutes ago
Impossibile to fave or comment
Latest: 89 minutes ago
Links a Free member can post?
Latest: 2 hours ago
Leaving groups (in bulk) in a single photo
Latest: 2 hours ago
About tab - Profile section
Latest: 3 hours ago
Moderate pics not seen from Photostream page
Latest: 3 hours ago
BUG or BOGUS? Invites do not count toward group total
Latest: 4 hours ago
[BUG] For Pro users, you will be able to submit a photo to up to 60 groups.
( Question ) If I delete Flickr App on my Ipad , will it delete my photos on Flickr ?? Please help
More...

Search the Help Forum

Attribution for kids

bookminder PRO says:

I tried to find a way to contact flickr management but could not see how to do that so I am posting here. Forgive me if I err.

I work with high school students and find that they are very confused about how to attribute correctly. Have the people at flickr ever considered posting a simple page with specific examples so that kids can easily tell how they should attribute photos they use?

If anyone knows how to contact the good people at flickr directly please let me know.

Thanks!
Posted at 3:56PM, 26 September 2007 PST ( permalink )

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

Erm, if people are using photos from flickr, they need to contact the respective photo-owners to find out how they want to be attributed.
Posted ages ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Kyudos PRO says:

This is not a simple task, since attribution depends on the kind of copyright or creative commons license and the use of the image (is it journalistic fair use for example).

view photos

Walwyn PRO says:

There isn't a standard way. Each photographer may have there own requirements. For myself one can simply use my user name on flickr as that is the name that they are posted under. Others may want to be attributed by their real name. In the case of CC images you can look here for some guidance.
creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/deed.en_GB

NOTE the CC clause of making clear the terms of the license.

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

If it's a CC-license, there's no need to directly contact a photographer (That's the point of the CC license). However if the photographer leaves no specific instructions for how they wish to be attributed, then the CC license terms require simply doing the best you can. Flickr handle, name if it's available, etc.

It's the photographer's responsibility to spell that out if they choose such a license,

view photos

Silly Luis says:

In case you want to know how to contact Flickr still, there's a "Help by email" link in the foot of every page of the site.

But Flickr will tell you the same that all these people above :-)

view photos

Civilized Explorer PRO says:

Have the people at flickr ever considered posting a simple page with specific examples so that kids can easily tell how they should attribute photos they use?

I like the way Scott Beale handles it at Laughing Squid:
www.flickr.com/photos/laughingsquid/

view photos

bookminder PRO says:

Thanks for all the great replies. This gives me a much better idea of how to advise students. They will, of course, only be using Creative Commons works. I am showing them how to use the new photo search Behold and click on the "and are free to use box".
photo.beholdsearch.com/

view photos

werewegian PRO says:

Well I just did a search on Behold for all pictures tagged Glasgow, and found All Rights Reserved photographs. Even when I click the "commercially" button. That doesn't seem right to me.

view photos

alexei_322 PRO says:

Hi, bookminder and werewegian, thanks for the feedback on Behold. I work on this search engine. werewegian, i checked the photographs you mention against my index, it appears that quite a few people have changed from creative commons back to all rights reserved. Behold updates its index every so often and these changes have not all been reflected. Thanks for pointing this out! I will fix this with more frequent updates shortly.

P.S. I do wonder what the implications are of releasing something as creative commons and then re-licensing it as all rights reserved.

view photos

Brenda Anderson PRO says:

If a photo is Creative Commons, and someone then uses it under that license, then the license cannot be revoked for that usage. But future uses are no longer covered by the license.

view photos

> I do wonder what the implications are of releasing something
> as creative commons and then re-licensing it as all rights reserved.

See wiki.creativecommons.org/FAQ#What_if_I_change_my_mind.3F

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

Image licenses can be changed at any time at the will of the photographer. The license can't be revoked for someone who's currently licensing the image. However as a search engine, you're not actually "using" the images under the license (as long as you stick to thumbnail results and don't display the actual larger images.) Since you're pointing people to the actual image on Flickr, it would probably be good for your service to keep your search results as updated as possible.

If a person goes to that photo that's now "all rights reserved" and tries to use it by saying that Behold said it was free to use, I don't think anyone's in trouble but it does lead to confusion and maybe an erosion in the usefulness of your search engine.

view photos

bookminder PRO says:

OK so the CC says:
Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
My question is where does the author specify what they want in the attribution? Sorry if I seem a little dense here but I am trying to view this through the eyes of a kid who's been told they have to follow the guidelines. How do they find out what the author requires re: attribution?

view photos

Brenda Anderson PRO says:

First, look in the description of the photo to see if the photographer has mentioned anything there. Then look at the profile page for the photographer and see if anything is mentioned there.

If no mention of attribution, then it seems to be commonly accepted that the attribution would be a link back to the photo page on Flickr with a credit to the person's Flickr name.

view photos

Silly Luis says:

If the person's real name is in the profile you may use that too.

view photos

alexei_322 PRO says:

Hi, just a quick update on Behold. It now frequently checks for license changes, so finding free content should be a lot more reliable. werewegian, Brenda Anderson, Civilized Explorer and The Searcher -- thank you for your valuable feedback.

view photos

> My question is where does the author specify what they
> want in the attribution?

I like the way Scott Beale handles it at Laughing Squid:
www.flickr.com/photos/laughingsquid/

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads