Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[INVESTIGATING] Thumbnails of 35 of my images are not appearing
Latest: 43 minutes ago
[Investigating] My icon is missing
Latest: 80 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Official thread] Upload-by-email is no longer supported
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Official Thread] Stats on Mobile Removed
Latest: 4 hours ago
[Official Thread] Updates on speed & stability so far
Latest: 5 hours ago
[Official Thread] Flickr partners with Pixsy to fight image theft
Latest: 27 hours ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 32 hours ago
[Official Thread] (Updated 2019.03.20) Temporary Video Downtime
Latest: 3 days ago

Current Discussion

FLICKR APP on ios
Latest: 2 minutes ago
What is going on Explore now?
Latest: 38 minutes ago
Zip Downloads - Not Working
Latest: 81 minutes ago
Error upload FILE TIMED OUT
Download of large albums fails
Drag and drop to a map is broken (can't set geolocation using the Map)
Flickriver no longer works for me
Why won’t my photos delete or remove from my album?
AnalogExif suddenly only shows camera type on Photo page - no lens, no other Exif data
Picture suddenly broken/not appearing
Banned from groups I don't belong to
Uploads Timing Out Error - Which part is timing out?
More...

Search the Help Forum

flickr vs facebook

Redwood9 says:

Quick question: it seems to me that facebook photo outperforms flickr in terms of speed of photo load, and the fact the the photos on facebook are about 1.5x larger at preview.

facebook also has excellent privacy controls (you can control it so your photos are only available to friends or limited friends.

it seems facebook's standard larger shots (about 800px) load at 1.4 seconds, while it can take flickr shots as long as 2.5 - 3 seconds to load at a smaller px.

Any ideas why the performance difference.

(don't get me wrong here... I'm flickr lover!! it's just that i would like the see the pictures load faster. )
Posted at 4:14PM, 14 July 2007 PDT ( permalink )

view photos

Thundercloud says:

More than likely it's to do with your proximity to the servers i'd say. If you're located much closer to a server hosting facebook than you are to a flickr site, then indeed this would make facebook seem a lot quicker at loading photos.

I mean, if you were downloading something in America, where would you expect it to be faster from, Los Angeles or Sydney? That's the kind of thing i'm talking about.
Posted ages ago. ( permalink )

view photos

teotwawki says:

My flickr photos are available on facebook via the flickr API. I've only bothered to upload one photo directly onto facebook - it's not really comparing like for like but I don't think facebook is ever going to be the first choice destination for photo sharing in the same way that flickr is.

view photos

Thundercloud says:

You'd be wrong there unfortunately facebook is apparently by far the #1 site for uploading images according to some statistics places.

view photos

The Searcher says:

"by far"?

You happen to have those "some statistics places" handy?

Otherwise yer just making stuff up.

Besides, anyplace can host photos. How does Facebook compare to the photo sharing concept (as opposed to isolated galleries), to tag searches, to having half a billion images available to view, to the group pools and contacts and favorites and organization?

If your only concern is how fast someplace "uploads" your photos, or how quick a limited-sized version of your image appears on your screen, then gee, it sounds like Facebook is for you!

view photos

Thundercloud says:

Wow you're certainly defensive aren't you. Almost aggressively so.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook

"In June 2007[3] it was ranked between top 10–20 web sites, and was the number one site for photos in the United States, ahead of public sites such as Flickr, with over 8.5 million photos uploaded daily."

Okay perhaps I misread, maybe number one means the best, not necessarily the most used, but you never know. Not exactly a statistics place, but hey I read it somewhere.

Of course, I prefer using Flickr and not just because I paid for a pro account :D All my friends ask me why I don't upload to facebook and tag everyone and blah blah blah. Facebook may offer unlimited storage, but afaik it doesn't actually allow the full sized pictures on, it resizes them after a certain point, so it fails pretty badly.

view photos

jumanjijuice says:

Good thread. Telll me more. I have the Flickr pro account, but my friend wants me on facebook. I can't learn too many more interfaces, brain full.

view photos

Dancing Deer Photography says:

Does Facebook have groups?

view photos

control.cancel says:

Facebook is a whole different thing. It may have photos and whatnot, but it's not a "photo sharing site", so there really isn't much comparison.

I'm about as interested in Facebook as I am in Myspace, which is to say, less than zero.

view photos

Dancing Deer Photography says:

I agree, I prefer to stay with Flickr.

view photos

The Searcher says:

thundercloud: not meaning to be defensive, just bored of people making proclamations without backing them up. Thanks for a reference example. Of course wikipedia is where anyone can contribute to the entries, so I wouldn't call it a "source", but I can at least see where you're getting the info from.

But as others have already said, Facebook is just different, and not focused on photo sharing. Just like Flickr isn't focused on profile networking. This whole thing is a bit like comparing helicopters to racecars.

Little concerned with stories like this. Even then, I had no idea Facebook was designed and CEO'd by a 23 year old. That alone makes it pretty impressive.

view photos

delightful toe says:

Facebook is a totally different type of site than Flickr. I was a Facebook member for 6 months and Facebook's photo section does not compare at all too Flickr. As for the claim that you can upload photos quicker to Facebook than you can to Flickr, get real! Facebook uses java script to upload your photos that I found really slow.

Another point against Facebook, not that it is a terrible site, is if you made a person a friend on Facebook that you didn't know, would you get a response from that person? The answer is NO! Facebook is for getting in touch with long lost friends, classmates and relatives. It is NOT meant to be a photo sharing website.

The reason I quit Facebook, is because it is getting really annoying. All these applications that are starting to make it as annoying as Myspace.

view photos

robust powder says:

The Searcher,

I've read the info about facebook being the #1 photo site a few times in the newspapers.

I went looking for an article on the newspapers I read but couldn't find one.

I did find this though which is amusing.

www.smh.com.au/news/WORLD/Popular-website-rejects-Gay-sur...

view photos

Redwood9 says:

Hi All,
Yes, I know I've read the data on Facebook having the most pictures many, many times. Sorry, I'm not going to search for the articles now but they're out there.

I truly believe Flickr is the best photo sharing site. It's this community that makes it all work. Facebook can't come close to Flickr in that regards.

However, I will say that I duplicate post to Facebook because that is where all my friends are. They comment on my photos and I comment back. It's a real blast! They're checking Faceobok 1-2hrs a day so they're always aware of my most recent post. My pics automatically show up on their facebook homepage.

I like Flickr because of the groups and friends that I make online. But for me at least, real life friends are looking at my photos on Facebook.

Long live Flickr! (And let's get some video capabiltiy ASAP!.)

view photos

Chrisser says:

With Facebook, you can have only sixty photos per album (not photosets, as in the case with Flickr), and the maximum file size for upload for Facebook is five megabytes. Photosets in Flickr can have unlimited photos for those with Pro accounts. Those with free Flickr accounts can either have the maximum of three photosets combining to the most recent 200 uploads or just one photoset holding the 200 most recent uploads. And you can start and join groups in Facebook like you can with Flickr, but I prefer to be part of groups in Flickr. Also, if you have joined Facebook and some of your friends are in the same area as yourself, you can even opt to join a network, which is not for me.

And unlike Flickr that now requires you to have a Yahoo! ID to sign in, you can use any e-mail address for your login for Facebook.

view photos

Kuhio Lee says:

Facebook and Flickr are two very different sites. Flickr is a community of photographers, while facebook is an overall general network community. Flickr keeps it's focus narrow, and that's great when it comes being a photographer; all the topics are on photography.

I would like to see a Flickr badge that would direct people to my Flickr page, though. They have on for the blogs.

view photos

Stevekin says:

You kinda get the impression that Facebook's 'creator' may just win the
case against him.
Which means we can breath a sigh of relief, now that the prospect of any percentage of the 39 million users descending on Flickr may not happen ;-)
Stevekin edited this topic ages ago.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads