Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Staff: working on a fix] "Flickr Pro account – payment problem"
Latest: 14 hours ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 3 days ago

Current Discussion

My 3 first photos disappeared from my stream some 15 minutes ago!!
Latest: 63 minutes ago
malfunction selection window
Latest: 68 minutes ago
Need for a new account
Latest: 2 hours ago
Recent Activity
Missing group admins
Double Billed on Pro Subscription
posting limits
Latest: 3 hours ago
Flickr Pro Subscription charged twice
Latest: 4 hours ago
FlickrIdeas offline?
Latest: 5 hours ago
Bad Panda constantly
Abrupt "Your Flickr Pro account has been cancelled – account past due"
Galleries: Can you reorganize the order of galleries?
Latest: 15 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Yahoo Image Search Displaying Friends & Family Photos

smcgee PRO says:

I read today that Yahoo Image Search is starting to incorporate Flickr photos. To test this feature, I searched for a relative's name, and a photo of me, marked friends-and-family only, shows up on page one of the Yahoo Image Search results.

When I click on the thumbnail, if I'm logged in to flickr, I see the full-size image. If I'm logged out of flickr, I'm asked for my password.

I think, however, that even the thumbnails of private photos should not be indexed by Yahoo Image Search.

ETA: Staff, I can send you a link, but I'd rather not post the example here.
Posted at 4:17PM, 26 June 2007 PDT ( permalink )
SilentObserver (staff) edited this topic ages ago.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 122 replies in Yahoo Image Search Displaying Friends & Family Photos)
view photos

Linus Gelber PRO says:

Confirmed. I just did a search on a friend's screen name - the bulk of her photos are nudes which are kept at various restricted levels - and the Friends & Family level photos come up and are visible by me; her private photos - completely private - appear in thumbnails, although I can't access the Flickr page. ("Ooops! You don't have permission," etc.) I assume this is because my account settings are letting me see the yellow-level tags but not the red ones, as it would be in a normal login.

However, all shots, including private ones, are showing up as thumbnails in the search.
Posted ages ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Flickr Staff

George says:

Thanks smcgee & Linus - you're right, it shouldn't be working this way. I'll chase this up straight away.

view photos

smcgee PRO says:

I have approximately 4000 pictures of family and friends that are now accessible to the world (in thumbnail size at least), which I assumed would be protected by marking them friends-and-family. I hope this can be addressed by staff quickly.

view photos

smcgee PRO says:

And they did. Thanks, George.

view photos

Diogo Caldas says:

Hi! exactly the same is happening to me, all my kids photos on the yahoo image search are shown, even if they are just for family. can that be solved? this is very serious. and it does not go along with the terms of service that flickr proposes. let me know what you can do. thanks

view photos

Flickr Staff

George says:

Just for a little background - Flickr sends the Yahoo! search index an enormous list of images that should be excluded from the image search index each day. The list contains information like, 'that photo isn't public anymore, remove it from the index' or ' that photo's been deleted, remove it from the index'.

We think we've isolated the problem you're seeing to a few days in late May, when the machine that serves those feeds crashed. Firstly, that means that the problem is fairly isolated, though certainly not the way it should be. We're working to generate a fresh list of images that need to be removed from the index.

I've just spoken to the Yahoo! peeps in Bangalore, who will be able to give us more detail soon. I'm afraid I can't provide a precise timeframe for the final resolution just yet.

In the meantime, though people may be able to see an oldish public thumbnail (from May) on Yahoo! Image search, when they get to Flickr, authentication rules will apply, so if photos are private now they will be unavailable.

view photos

Flickr Staff

George says:

Good morning. The update is, we've run that fresh feed of Flickr images that should be excluded from the Yahoo! Image Search index. We've tested all the cases we know about, and everything seems to be working as intended - that is, private thumbnails from Flickr no longer show up in Image Search.

That said, we don't have very many actual test cases, so we need to spend more time creating some and then testing them.

So, even though we're pretty confident running the new feed has worked, we're not calling that 100% just yet. We'll continue to test until we feel more certain. I'll let you know.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

I found one of mine that is completely private (nothing special about it)

[edit by eric: the link here was broken and breaking the page layout; can you try to post it again?]

why this one and what are the dates in may that are effected?
Eric (staff) edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

_greer_ says:

from George above:

"Flickr sends the Yahoo! search index an enormous list of images that should be excluded from the image search index each day."

I'm not privy to the details of Flickr's complex architecture (nor would I understand it anyway), but this seems to be the opposite of the correct way to do it.

From a security standpoint, I think all pictures should be excluded from the search by default. And only those photos with explicit instructions to be public should actually end up in Yahoo image search. At least that way, the system would err on the side of privacy if servers crash or whatever.

Maybe the burden of doing it my suggested way is too great, but the way it is working now doesn't seem very reliable.

view photos

Charley Lhasa says:

I have a Family-only image that shows up.

Also, private images and images that were previously deleted.
Charley Lhasa edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

How many private photos were visable in the yahoo image search before the recent "fix"?

I would really like a completely honest answer when one is available. I'm willing to wait. I don't want the question to be brushed off with a vague answer alluding the the huge volumes of images on the site.

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather PRO says:

Ther-esa, Thanks for the link. Specifics are helpful.

Charley Lhasa, Can you share an example with us? Either in the forum or via Help by Email -- the more info we have, the better we can stomp out this bug.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Eric PRO says:

@_greer_: I think you are misunderstanding. To get into Y search results in the first place, photos do need to be public. But when a public photo is then later made private, or other changes are made which should keep it out of those results, we send that information over daily.

view photos

Katie Scully says:

Will using the "Hide your photos from public searches" option allow users to opt out of the Yahoo image search?

Thanks!

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

about the broken link: if you go to yahoo image search and enter ther-esa it the the one on the top right of the page (kid with doll) . When I try to open in now I get sent to the yahoo sign in page even if I am already signed in. This was not the case earlier today.

view photos

Lú_ PRO says:

Is the access SafeSearch only as well?

view photos

Charley Lhasa says:

Thanks heather -- I only did two searches, and these were the results:

Family image:
images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A9gnMiKljIJGqv...

Previously deleted images:
images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A9gnMij0h4JGvm...

view photos

benrobertsabq PRO says:

Are all Public images from Flickr automatically included in Y! Image Search?

Is there a way to opt out?
Are there other Y! feeds which Flickr public images may be included in that we don't know about?

Only asking here because the other thread was redirected... www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/44449/

view photos

Flickr Staff

Eric PRO says:

benrobertsabq: you can "hide your photos from public searches" here: flickr.com/account?tab=privacy

That will not affect searches that are scoped to your account, but it will keep your photos form appearing in global searches like Y! Image Search.

[edit: to clarify: it will take 24-36 hours for your photos to be removed from Y! image search if you choose to hide your photos from public search; it is not immediate.]
Eric (staff) edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

helpful receipt says:

Seems Flickr should be a legit, formal 1.0 release before integrating so tightly into Yahoo!.

Yahoo! Photos was at least a full release, now they're jumping in here where this kind of stuff still happens? Into a "Gamma" release?

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather PRO says:

Ther-esa and Charley Lhasa, Can you give me an idea of when you changed your privacy setting from public to private / deleted your photos?

view photos

Linus Gelber PRO says:

The photos I mentioned yesterday are now gone from the Yahoo search, which is as it should be. The search term I used (which George knows) had returned hundreds - was it thousands? - of hits, and now comes up with twenty-odd shots, all public.

Just FYI, as a follow-up.

view photos

Flickr Staff

heather PRO says:

Lú_, Only "safe" public photos.

The issue arose for photos that had their privacy setting changed by a Flickr member.

As George previously mentioned, hardware failure in late May led to a small number (I don't have a figure) weren't flagged as having their status changed and removed from the index. We think that this issue has been resolved.

It would be helpful to know from those who still see their private photos listed when they changed the status of their photos to determine if this is part of the same issue.

Eric includes a URL for those people who would like to opt out of API search related activities like Yahoo! Image Search.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

My photos are and have been hidden on third party search. Before I made the bulk of them private they were hidden on "site wide searches of flickr" note that it says nothing about yahoo- it specifically identifies the flickr site After I made them private I may have changed that so that the few that were in group s could be found by group members via tag search of the groop pool.

What is it about the word Private that Yahoo doesn't understand? I am not being flip, this issue has come up with not only the well known privacy abuses of chinese citizens but also that privacy bug that left open the yahoo mail of anyone who signed into flickr between August 2005 and January 2007. ("signing out of flickr does not sign you out of yahoo mail" - there is a thread in this forum for anyone who wants to check)

view photos

Charley Lhasa says:

I believe the "den" photo was previously set as "Friends and Family," and changed to "Family" 2-4 weeks ago. To the best of my knowledge, this has never been a public photo. There were photos in the same set with similar tags that were uploaded at the same time, and had permissions changed at the same time, but do not seem to show up in the Yahoo image search.

The other photos were deleted approximately 4 weeks ago.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

I did not have that photo public in May.

How can you be so positive that the issue only arose for people who changed their privacy setting? You've only been investigating the problem for a few hours. If in fact that is the case then it is the best case scenario for Flickr with the least damage. It is certainly what what one would want to believe. I would want to believe it too, but I've seen these damage control responses sweep major problems under the carpet enough here that the company has not earned enough of my trust for me to believe that you can be certain after a few hours that the availability of private photos was a small problem for a short period of time and now resolved.

I would still like the problem to be thoroughly investigated and an honest answer given to members whose privacy has been compromised. As I said, I'm willing to wait.

Thank you.

edit for spelling
teh resa edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

George says:

I would still like the problem to be thourally invesigated...

Hi Ther-esa - as I said above, even though we're fairly sure we've contained and fixed the problem, we'll be continuing to thoroughly investigate the issue until we're 100% certain. The additional reports that have come in this morning are very helpful in this regard.

...and an honest answer given to members whose privacy has been compromised.

I hope that you can see that staff participation, acknowledgement and action on this issue is part of our "honest answer".

How can you be so positive that the issue only arose for people who changed their privacy setting?

Because when you change your privacy setting from public to not-public, we send that information through to the Yahoo! Image Search index to "let it know" that that photo needs to be removed from searches on Yahoo!.

Otherwise, we make sure that only safe, public photos show up, with the additional check that the photo owner hasn't opted out, the option that Eric described above

[edit - added last sentence]

view photos

limone says:

George, I just found an example where private (marked family only during upload already) photos still show up as thumbnails - I just sent you a mail with details.

edit: the pictures were uploaded in April, and one of them was deleted in April already, the others a few days ago.
limone edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Charley Lhasa says:

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something, but none of my photos that I mentioned above were ever public.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

George: thanks for the response. I am in no hurry. I don't see why that picture was the only one of my private pictures with the same tag that turned up in the image search. Many were made private at the same time. Why that one? I believe it was made private first in January. It had been public in December. Were there others that were visible in Yahoo image search yesterday? How exactly was it partially fixed in the last several hours (in layman's terms, please)? By your logic anything that was ever public was available in the image search unless it was marked unsafe and not available on the Flickrsite wide searches. I have to assume this unless you know otherwise which ones and how many were visible.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

The example I gave was an image that was once public. Was this example the one that you (flickr staff) used to base the conclusion that it only applies to images that were once public? If so, I would say that is a small sample and would amount to jumping to assume the best case/minimum damage conclusion as I described in a post above. Other people here are reporting that their photos were never public but I'm feeling as if the responsibility is being passed onto me for ever having it public. If I am wrong, and you have a larger sample then just my one image to base your conclusions on, then apologies for that. If not, then how was it possible to be so sure it was a minor problem confined to people who changed their privacy settings? This assumption does nothing to get to the root of the problem and seems to brush off the concerns of people who might not have ever had the photo set to public.. If the intent is just to calm people down then it does not acopmplish that objective either.

In case staff is offended somehow by these questions, I just want to make it clear I am addressing my concerns to staff in their role as representatives of yahoo/flickr and it is not personal. The trust has to be earned with hard answers and not with soothing words.

view photos

~Cath G~ says:

This private image is showing up
images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A9gnMiRosIJGKs...

Made private on 30th or 31st May 2007

view photos

Flickr Staff

George says:

Cronkley: Thank you.

Linus Gelber: Thanks for following up.

Ther-esa: If so, I would say that is a small sample and would amount to jumping to assume the best case/minimum damage conclusion as I described in a post above. Other people here are reporting that their photos were never public...

I haven't actually said we're considering the problem is solved, in fact, I pointed out that we're testing as many cases as we can for a much broader sweep than the cases reported here.

...but I'm feeling as if the responsibility is being passed onto me for ever having it public.

I'm sorry you drew that conclusion - that's certainly not what I was trying to communicate. It's just that that was a precondition for this particular bug, and certainly not your fault.

If I am wrong, and you have a larger sample then just my one image to base your conclusions on, then apologies for that.

Yep, we're continuing to test with more cases. We're certainly not considering this case closed until we're 100% sure it's fixed.

view photos

Barbara Rich says:

I have just emailed you with several instances of pictures that have only ever been marked 'friends and family' which are still appearing as thumbnails on a Yahoo Images search. They are totally innocuous pictures of friends and family, but I chose to limit their publication in order to respect the privacy of my family and friends, and flickr/yahoo has no right to publish them to all the world in this fashion. I am concerned about this, not satisfied with your published response here, and I think that your investigation into this problem needs to continue until it has been fully resolved. I am grateful to the OP for bringing this issue to public attention in the forum.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

Thanks for the responses. I do not want to keep staff tied up in this thread instead of finding the root of the problem and reporting those details to us.

My reasons for thinking you concluded that the problem was confined to public photos changed to private was this response:

Heather: The issue arose for photos that had their privacy setting changed by a Flickr member.

As George previously mentioned, hardware failure in late May led to a small number (I don't have a figure) weren't flagged as having their status changed and removed from the index. We think that this issue has been resolved.

And George's answer quoting me:

"(me): How can you be so positive that the issue only arose for people who changed their privacy setting?

George: "Because when you change your privacy setting from public to not-public, we send that information through to the Yahoo! Image Search index to "let it know" that that photo needs to be removed from searches on Yahoo!.

Otherwise, we make sure that only safe, public photos show up, with the additional check that the photo owner hasn't opted out, the option that Eric described above

some of eric's answers also seemed to emphasize the angle of it having been made public first. Anyway, as long as we can find out which ones and how many were available in image search and for how long....that would go a long way to re-establishing some trust.

view photos

Flickr Staff

George says:

Thanks Barbara - we got your report.

view photos

Frizzworld says:

I'm sorry if this has been asked somewhere else, I didn't even realize until now that Yahoo was doing this, but can we have an opt out of Yahoo Image Search option? Thx.

view photos

Brenda Anderson PRO says:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/44351/249961/

view photos

Frizzworld says:

OK, now I've checked google too and not only are some of my pics on there, but some of my favorites and pictures I've made comments on too- I'd really like a way of opting out of anything other than flickr users seeing pics and info. Is this possible?

view photos

Frizzworld says:

Thanks Brenda.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

about that link: I had my photos hidden from 3rd party searches and yet the private photo was visible on yahoo image search. I did not have the "hide from site wide searches" option selected but they were private so it wasn't necessary. Site wide is flickr not yahoo. I had some private photos in groups so I still wanted those to be searchable within the group.

view photos

opting out of anything other than flickr users seeing pics and info. Is this possible? .

Not really. Google gets those things by crawling the website. You can't prevent a non-Flickr user from seeing your public favorites or your comments, so there's not really anyway to prevent Google from seeing them too.

*edited my cut/paste error :) *

view photos

_greer_ says:

@ Eric: Oh, that makes much more sense. Thank you for explaining how it works.

view photos

Charley Lhasa says:

Yay! All fixed! Thank you for taking care of it so quickly!!

view photos

Ρanayotis says:

From the FAQ:

What if I don't want everyone to see my photos?

That's not a problem. Every photo has its own privacy settings. You can make a photo available to everyone (that's public, and includes people visiting the site who aren't Flickr members); make it visible only to your friends, your family, or both your friends and family; or keep it completely private.

Bear in mind that you can always see every image in your own photostream.

You can set a default privacy setting for every photo you upload here.

As of April 20, 2007, changing the privacy level of any photo ("public" --> "friends", or "friends" --> "family") will change the image file name. This ensures that any photo truly becomes private.

Please note that this will "break" any photo that has been blogged elsewhere as the image file will nave a new URL.

I think it would be fair from your part to update this answer with the truth.

First, to let people know that if for some reason the static url of a private photo is revealed then the photo will be always accessible by anyone that has this URL. (This would be possible if someone submits a private photo in a group and then removes it for example. This wouldn't guarantee that this photo will not be visible and "copyable!" by someone that was smart enough to copy the static URL when it was in the group pool).
And one could also imagine "smart" crawlers that try to guess all possible private photos' static URLs ... you cannot prevent this I guess ...

And second, of course, to inform people that it CAN happen that some of their private photos could be accessible through yahoo search to the whole Internet ... maybe in rare occasions but it CAN happen.

The answer you give I think (I am sure) is misleading!
Ρanayotis edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

My photo ( the one that I sent the link to) was removed quickly also, thanks. I am still waiting for the answer re how many private photos were visible before this thread was started and repairs were made. According to the other reports there were photos in the search that had never been public, so how were the privacy options compromised? Once staff get to the root of the problem then please let us know the facts, otherwise it is left open to wild speculation, trust in the site is further damaged, soapbox experts start answering, etc. I am less interested in why privacy was compromised as I am in how it was compromised and how many were exposed in the image search.

thanks.

view photos

Ρanayotis says:

Just to stress that your answer in the FAQ is misleading even if we don't consider this unbelievable case of private photos' exposure ... it is very immature from your part not to explain to people the dangers of sharing their photos in the Internet even if they mark them "private".

"Privacy?" ... "That's not a problem." ... it is almost funny this answer ...
Ρanayotis edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

striatic PRO says:

"so there's not really anyway to prevent Google from seeing them too."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robots_Exclusion_Standard

view photos

benrobertsabq PRO says:

@Eric - Belated thanks for the API explanation!

view photos

markrpasinski@yahoo.com says:

Why the Heck didn't I get an email directly from Yahoo! or is it Verizon/Yahoo! ?
on this change?
I am sooo steamed.
I had to go in and change all the view properties for my 1000+ images of our 2+ year building project.
This is absolute nonsense on both Flickr, AND Yahoo!, aka Verizon/Yahoo! 's part!
And I still cannot find access to my Yahoo photos.
Maybe it is late and I just lost the link?
Searching using *Yahoo Search* certainly does not lead to 'My Yahoo Photos', even when signed into both Yahoo! AND Verizon-Yahoo!
Sign me, Disgruntled

view photos

AndrewNZ PRO says:

Ther-esa, thanks for the heads-up on this.

I tend to agree with what you have written - staff are not addressing the question of how photos that were marked private or friends/family only from the second they were uploaded ended up being available on Y image search. They also have not explained how they failed to communicate what is effectively a change in the terms of service to people in advance of it happening. It seems to me that flickr has fundamentally dropped the ball in terms of understanding that honest communication is at the root of avoiding problems in the first place.

For a company that everybody lauds as the epitome of 'Web 2.0' they really don't seem to get that flickr users feel a sense of ownership over this site, since it is they that create the value that Y is busy exploiting.

view photos

Ρanayotis says:

hmmm ... it seems they are still searching and counting ... when you reach 1million (private photos exposed) it is ok ... you can stop :-)

view photos

AndrewNZ PRO says:

So.... could the staff let us know if there is an ETA on the substantive answer from flickr on this issue?

Thanks.

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

It is obviously not on the same level of priority for staff responses as this thread:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/44259/

view photos

Federico Quirós says:

Hi I have the same problem, my pictures show up in yahoo image search, even I set in privacy to hide for 3rd party aplications.
As I understand the other option is to hide them for site wide (flickr) and I don´t want them hidden there.
Specifically if you search for "Areco Ganges" 3 of my pictures turn up.
Please correct this, I´m testin flickr as my place online for pictures but I don´t want people outside flicker to acces them, not even thumbnails.
I hope I get a quick and satisfactoy answer.
Thanks

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

So what is the source of the problem and for how long were they exposed? Why were photos that were never public also included in the yahoo image search?

view photos

AndrewNZ PRO says:

*coughs*

view photos

helpful receipt says:

Has Flickr moved this bug report into the fixed pile?

George said 2 weeks ago it wasn't...and then...

...nothing...

view photos

AndrewNZ PRO says:

Mmm...maybe it's not a high enough priority? Or maybe it's one of those Y! imposed things that aren't going to get fixed and they're embarrassed to have to admit? I'm hoping that I'm wrong, but the longer we are without a clear answer on this from flickr staff, the more one's suspicions are aroused...

view photos

Flickr Staff

George says:

"Has Flickr moved this bug report into the fixed pile?"

Whoops! I'm really sorry I didn't respond in here sooner :/

Last time I came by I said "We're certainly not considering this case closed until we're 100% sure it's fixed."

When I wrote that we were pretty sure that everything was resolved, and that the work we had done with the Yahoo! Image Search team fixed the problem. We've put a couple of new processes in place to ensure that the search index is as "fresh" as we can make it, and are also running an additional weekly mass-update as a failsafe.

I haven't heard any more reports of problems in the couple of weeks since the initial reports, so, I'll bump up my certainty that this is resolved to 99.9% :)

"They also have not explained how they failed to communicate what is effectively a change in the terms of service to people in advance of it happening."

It wasn't a change in the terms of service. It was a bug that the team acknowledged publically and very soon after the first report. It was (99.9%) resolved very quickly.

Please, rest assured that we take your privacy very seriously.

"It seems to me that flickr has fundamentally dropped the ball in terms of understanding that honest communication is at the root of avoiding problems in the first place."

Wow. Really? It's a real shame you feel like that, Andrew. From where I sit, I've done nothing but try to communicate honestly about this bug from the moment I stepped in to this thread.

[edit: changed 99% to 99.9%]

view photos

ther-esa says:

Thanks that clears up a few things. But some of us just want to know why pictures that were originally marked private made their way into the image search. How does this happen? in layman's terms? How long were they visable for?

view photos

ther-esa says:

Its not so much about criicizing the flickr team as it is about being a more skeptical and informed consumer.

.. Can't be informed without information

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

Isn't this the scoop for that? www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/44351/249280/

It's not that layman, but it seems to lay it out pretty well. And I don't know if it changed, but did it stay just the thumbnails that got into the search, or did the actual images show up as well?

I think I can see why it can happen, even as a bug. They can't completely exclude private images from searches, since "private" isn't really private; it's you choosing who gets to see your images. Usually that means friends/and/or/family. So they get to see these images in search results, thus the images have to be somehow included in the search system. I think.

view photos

ther-esa says:

I am asking for factual information from staff.

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

but.. but. What about that link? Isn't George staff enough?

view photos

Redwood9 says:

How about google image search? If these files are available int he Yahoo search, they must be available in Google search. And since Google is a competitor, i wonder if they respond to requests so quikcly. Also, wouldn't they still be available in the search engine cache?

view photos

Google only gets the images by trawling through the web. If the photos were once public, then yes, they could show in google image search until such time as it refreshes that particular search (or however it works).

Yahoo image search, though, is given a feed to update the photos, so it will be much quicker.

view photos

ther-esa says:

George: I still don't understand how images that were never marked public got into the yahoo image search. I'm also concerned about the volume and number of those that did so that I can accurately gage how likely it is to happen again - based on my own judgement and comfort levels weighed against those facts.

George says: I've just spoken to the Yahoo! peeps in Bangalore, who will be able to give us more detail soon. Since that was three weeks ago, what kind of details are known now?

view photos

Has anyone actually sent a Help by Email to George with examples of photos that were ALWAYS private but yet showed up in Yahoo image search? All the ones I saw at the time (of mine) had been public at one time even though they were private now.

Based on what George said, it sounds like it was only 'once public but now private' photos that were affected.

view photos

ther-esa says:

Brenda, about the google thing...it doesn't concern me but I have seen many of the deleted photos of other members in the google search. Of course they were public once and blogged all over the place. I'm wondering if it would be more effective to replace or rotate the photo rather than delete it? I understand that now, if you replace it the blogged photo appears as blank. I don't know how soon that goes into effect after the replacement.

view photos

Flickr Staff

George says:

ther-esa said "The example I gave was an image that was once public. Was this example the one that you (flickr staff) used to base the conclusion that it only applies to images that were once public?"

No. It just reinforced the bug. That's the way our updates to the search index work: if any photo changes it's state from public to private, the search index needs to remove it. That glitch we reported happened over a few days in May because the index wasn't updated with that information (but has been many times since then). If an image is private and always has been, it never enters the index in the first place.

The updates we run (both daily, and now with a new weekly double-banger) just clear out images that need to be realised as no longer public.

view photos

ther-esa says:

George: Thanks for your response. I understood how the image search bug worked in relation to photos that were once public then made private. My concerns were about the reports in this thread about pictures that were never public and showed up in the search anyway. Here is a link to one:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/44351/#reply250107
another:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/44351/#reply250227

I believe the original poster of the thread also reports photos that were always at a family/friend level and never public. So my question is, like I said several times already, related to images that were never supposed to be in the index in the first place (because they were never public). How did those get in? How many? If it is known how they got in then it must be known how long they were in. Its true I didn't find any of mine in there but I discovered this thread shortly after you first investigated it and removed some from the index.

Maybe I am missing something but I am just asking to see how many were removed from the index that didn't belong and most importantly, how many were removed that did not belong there in the first place? The second question concerns me in case any of mine that were always private were in the index and removed by the time I discovered this thread. You probably won't be able to tell me if mine were among them but if we know roughly how many we can get an idea of the risk.

Thanks.

view photos

photofixation says:

is it rectified .. I guess no ..

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

photofixation: according to all of this in here that I've read, the problem was limited to a very small period of time in May, and fixed then. Ther-esa's trying to get a handle on how widespread the "reveal" was, so this is all followup. The initial bug/leak was plugged some time ago.

view photos

limone says:

@The Searcher:

No, the incident was not limited to the very small period of time in May:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/44351/250099/

Some of my photos were affected too, some from April, some from June, and all of them never had been public and were already deleted but visible in Y! image search. Staff reacted quickly upon notification, though, and removed them. But without this thread I would not even have known about the problem.

view photos

ther-esa says:

The Searcher: do not put words in my mouth. My comments here are directed to staff re my own problems and those reported by others on an issue that that has come up on my own stream re my own photos.

view photos

ther-esa says:

And again addressing staff: I have a complaint also about the searcher, as I have been trying to ignore his constant attempts to drag me into a flamewar I haven't blocked him but I did warn him not to flickrmail me again. My comments here have been directed at staff and have not been inflametory. I do not wish any interaction with The Searcher, or to have to block anyone.

I feel that the lack of communication is causing users to attack others in the abscence or responses from staff. It is not good for the general trust or ambiance of the site.

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

ther-esa: I'm not sure what your issue is, but I received no such warning from you, after several flickr mails from you, concerning issues that were off-topic to the forum at issue at that time.

My response here is in no way an attempt to berate or goad you or do anything other than follow this forum thread. Your responses in here are a valid interest on your part that I don't believe I was trying to hinder or otherwise belittle. I'm sorry you have a problem with me personally, but these forums are meant to be a place for everyone, staff and users, to publicly address specific topical issues. I have zero interest in baiting you, angering you, or really even noticing you at all. Any intent you perceive from me to affect you in any way, I promise you is imaginary and unintentional.

If you have any further issues with me personally, as opposed to my opinions in the forums, I recommend you take them up with me directly, block me, or use "report abuse" to let Flickr know. It doesn't serve this thread in any way, however. I apologize for your perceived grief.

view photos

ther-esa says:

The last flickrmail I sent you AND I HAVE THE EVIDENCE I told you to leave me alone as you initiated this abuse by contacting me in the first place re SOMETHING THAT WAS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. THAT IS ABUSE. THAT IS HARRASSMENT.

My questions here are directed to staff: I feel that the lack of communication on some issues is creating a negative atmosphere. Also I don't understand why some people are allowed to post inflammetory responses to every thread while others seem to be prevented from posting to the forum for such behavior.

view photos

ther-esa says:

If staff are encouraging these kind of unsolicited interactions from users without involvement in the problem it simply makes people more upset more likely to find other problems and the issue of trust begins to deteriorate.

Obviously I am directing my questions to staff or others who are not hostile as I have had no interest in a flamewar and have been avoiding interacting with the above person since I answered his last flickrmail. Yet it doesn't seem to matter where i post to this and that it is not directed at him or anyone in particular I do not wish to have my questions responded to by this person.

view photos

ther-esa says:

so do we have any information about the private/never made public photos yet?
ther-esa edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

ther-esa says:

I've made a screengrab of the thread here and if you see the tone of my comments from the beginning, note who responded and how....you can see how it has deteriorated and why

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

This is very out of left field and disturbing to me. Please contact staff and give them any contacts/emails from me and evidence that you feel you have. I feel I must do the same, because your behavior is in this situation bizarre and your public mis characterizations of me shouldn't stand as "true" simply because you're saying them so loudly.

[PS: I certainly won't delete or alter any of my comments in here or any other threads past or present, and I think a screengrab of this one will definitely help illustrate my confusion to your sudden anguish.]

view photos

helpful receipt says:

Let's lose the off-topic postings...

view photos

Flickr Staff

George says:

Hey! Calm down, you two! Jeez!

(I'm going to lock this temporarily so you can take a step away from the keyboard for a while. I'll ask my friends here for their thoughts on a useful answer, despite the fact that we're considering the bug resolved.)

view photos

Flickr Staff

SilentObserver PRO says:

Ther﹣esa
I’m a Flickr developer responsible for integration with Yahoo! Images Search.
I will try to answer your questions.
Before making the integration public we tested it for long time.
During our tests we’ve found a bug when some private photos were able to slip into YIS index.
We fixed this bug and cleaned up private images from the index, but unfortunately after public release we found that index cleanup was not 100% successful.
At that moment we had two options: fix the problem ASAP loosing some data or try to evaluate how many photos are affected and fix it later. We decided that the quickest fix would be our best option.
In result we’ve lost all information about how many private photos we’ve indexed at moment of the release and how many of them were actually delivered as part of the search results.
We have some guestimates but with very high probability they are incorrect, so it doesn’t make sense to make them public.

view photos

loupiote (Old Skool) pro PRO says:

looks like all flickr photos have been removed from the yahoo image search index (or is that just an impression?).

view photos

Looks that way to me too. Last I checked there were 1000s of photos matching "curiouskiwi" and now there are only a handful.

view photos

yes, and now that the flickr photos have all been (temporarily) removed from the yahoo image search, i can find a lot of my photos that have been "lifted" from frickr and posted on various other websites and blogs.

view photos

The Searcher PRO says:

yes. the internet is a terrible, lawless land.

[might be nice if they restore Flickr images in search, to have some sort of exclusion function, so policing the web for theft could be easier. For those thieves too lazy to rename images, at least.]

view photos

with google you can add -site:flickr.com to not list any result on the flickr.com domain.

i don't know if yahoo has some equivalent way.

view photos

Flickr Staff

SilentObserver PRO says:

loupiote (Old Skool)

I'm asking IS guys to clarify the situation.

UPDATE: It looks like IS have technical problems in one of the datacenters, they are looking into the issue...
SilentObserver (staff) edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

wow, SilentObserver, your buddy icon is really spooky :)

thanks!

view photos

teh resa PRO says:

...two options: fix the problem ASAP loosing some data or try to evaluate how many photos are affected and fix it later. We decided that the quickest fix would be our best option.

Silent Observer (or other staff): I guess if you only had two options then that was the best choice. Thanks for the clarification.
I'm assuming that if you know how it happened (with the pre-integration bug) then it can't happen again if and when public flickr photos are restored to the yahoo image search.

view photos

enchanted home says:

I just saw the blog post and checked it out ... it doesn't have sort by interestingness :)

Flickr Search > Yahoo Search

Five points for Flickr.

view photos

Flickr Staff

George says:

Ther-esa: Yes, we believe the issue is resolved.

view photos

PrettyProblem says:

Two days ago I selected to hide my photos from searches on 3rd party sites - which I thought included yahoo, but my pictures are still coming up when I do searches.

Am I doing something wrong? Did I misunderstand? How do I fix it so that they won't show up in a yahoo search?

view photos

@MadeIn1984

i think Yahoo is the same as Flickr, and it is not considered to be a 3rd-party site.

you should "Hide your photos from site-wide searches on flickr.com" if you want them hidden from the yahoo image search.

see www.flickr.com/account/prefs/optout/?from=privacy

view photos

FlyButtafly PRO says:

Madeln - hiding from 3rd party searches means hiding it from tag searches for tools which use the API. Search engines will still be able to find it, as long as it's public, no matter if it's google, Yahoo, or the like.

view photos

true, but yahoo is special: it is directly interfaced with the flickr index.

so if you hide the photos from public searches, it will have less chances to appear "prominently" in the yahoo image search results.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 122 replies in Yahoo Image Search Displaying Friends & Family Photos)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads