Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Flickr downtime on May 22 and site issues since then. (PLEASE REPLY HERE)
Latest: 3 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here
Latest: 76 minutes ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 7 hours ago
[Official Thread] A new way to stay informed about site performance issues.
Latest: 12 hours ago
[investigating, staff reply] Stats, Statistics, Lost Views!
Latest: 34 hours ago
Thank you Flickr tech people!
Latest: 10 days ago
[Official Thread] Scheduled downtime on May 22, plus more updates on speed & stability
Latest: 2 weeks ago

Current Discussion

Explore
Latest: 53 minutes ago
How can i sell pictures through Flickr?
Latest: 2 hours ago
Cannot upload
Latest: 4 hours ago
[Flickr Migration] I can not set new password/ step 2 in Migration procedure
Latest: 4 hours ago
Searching tags on my own photos results in significant number of missing images
Latest: 5 hours ago
Is FLICKR trying to discourage use???
First account disapeared and now my username has changed
How to downgrade from Pro to Free
Latest: 7 hours ago
How do you get Flickr to review your Account?
Latest: 8 hours ago
Login issue with new account
Latest: 8 hours ago
Goodbye Flickr.
Latest: 9 hours ago
A mysterious place with no name
Latest: 9 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[closed] New Payment Options

Dancing Deer Photography says:

Ok I see Flickr has done away with pay pal, I checked the new payment options, all credit cards,,, grrrrr. For those like me with no credit card how are we going to pay now?, I have plenty of time till my pro account expires, but I don't want to leave renewing to the last min, maybe later this summer. Does Flickr plan to give us non credit card holders a option, or are we going to be forced not to renew?

Letter to those who have posted in this thread:

I am staying with Flickr, as for the paypal thing I am going to buy one of those pre-paid credit card and use that, getting mad and deleteing your account is really not gonna do anything but hurt you as a member, that is like a child tossing a temper tantrum, your really not gonna teach anyone a lesson by doing this exspecialy if your a "free" account holder" there is thousands of new "free" accounts right behind you to fill your space, and deleteing a paid account is doing nothing but screwing your self out of money. As for the people in other countrys, you will have to wait for Flickr to give you a new option, it will come, just be patient, you might have to "deal" with downgrading to a free acount temparly, no big deal I am sure Flickr has heard us all in this issue, they are not out to screw thousands of paying customers, nor ruin it for the free accounts. They will fix this I am sure, its a business and its bad business to discriminate against those who don't have a credit cards, they know this. Be patient, Flickr will fix this.

-----

Current Update 11/21/07: PayPal is back!

-----

Previous Updates:

11/19/07: A quick update about the return of PayPal<

8/30/07: PayPal will return to on November 20, 2007.
More information is available here.

1) PayPal is coming back. The current failure rate is unnacceptable and we're working to iron the bugs out. Bugs being what they are, it's not like we can set a date and be done with it, but the team appreciates that PayPal is an important payment option for many.

2) We will be adding additional payment options in the future and are always looking at how we can make things easier for Flickr members around the globe. Given that this change is less than 6 hours old, your patience is appreciated :)

[Staff edit @ 3:34pm, 27 June 07: changed title from "payment concern" to "[Official Topic] New Payment Options"]
Posted at 10:06AM, 12 June 2007 PDT ( permalink )
heather (staff) edited this topic ages ago.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14
(1 to 100 of 1314 replies in [closed] New Payment Options)
view photos

clumsy stocking says:

i'm also very disappointed about this as paypal was the one and ONLY way I can pay online. As I also do not own a credit card as the fees for this are quite high for it here in germany and its in most cases of no use as we use electronic payment here with our own system called Maestro. Its a debit card system that also allows us to use ATM machines and other baning services along with calshless payment in nearly every shop in my country. So I'm not eager to own a credit card just to pay a few online services.

Very very very disappointhed by flickr regarding the cancelation of paypal. :-(

But the new flickr in Several languages is great :) I just hope I still can enjoy it more as I cannot extend or buy pro accounts anymore :-\
Posted ages ago. ( permalink )

view photos

crazyinthenight says:

I agree with Andreas. It is very common not to own a credit card at all over here. (There is virtually no benefit but then fairly high charges.)

So we "need" to see the paypal option coming back to flickr. Localisation is "nice to have", being able to pay for your membership is mandatory. ;-)

view photos

Farruska says:

good thing to see that more people share the same concern as I do. As Andreas, I do not own a credit card. I do not own since I moved to Germany because is of no use here. And all the necessary online payments I've done ever since have been through paypal .....

Localisation is a nice feature, will be useful to some people , a lot of people probably, but would a nice free feature be worth losing many pro accounts?

I hope Flickr takes a second though on this one and bring Paypal back.... hopefully soon enough ...

view photos

If they don't want to deal with pay pal any more at least give us a option to pay with a e check. I would hate lose my pro account and if I had to downgrade to free account I would be force to leave my beloved Flickr.

view photos

clumsy stocking says:

Same to me if I cannot repay my pro account or the one of a special friend too we are forced to move somewhere else :-\. E-check is also not possible for me. I only can pay via paypal, or bank transfer to a bank account located in the european union. All other would be of no use as the charges for this payment methods would exceed the actual fee for flickr for one year.

view photos

Farruska says:

wow... the paypal issue only concerns 4 people....

view photos

Lú_ says:

... wow... the paypal issue only concerns 4 people... out of all those who, in the last hour and a half, have read the Flickr news *and* found out what is included in the new payment options *and* have found the forums and posted about it. The thousands more without credit cards will show up later.

view photos

Farruska says:

a bit of sarcasm to bring up a subject never hurt anyone. got your attention.
I sure do hope the thousands (?) more say something about it while the subject is fresh and not just when the time comes they need to upgrade their account.

view photos

Mockney Rebel says:

It seems silly to limit the way customers can pay for your product. Paypal is a popular and trusted method of online payment for a lot of people.

view photos

Lú_ says:

a bit of sarcasm to bring up a subject never hurt anyone. got your attention.

Sarcasm doesn't travel so well online -- nobody can read your motives. Personally, I read the thread when there was just one post in it, two hours ago. It's not such an urgent issue that I expect staff response and promises within that sort of time frame -- changing payment systems is complex, especially when there are larger corporate issues at play, as I imagine there are here. I'm sure they'll get here.

view photos

Farruska says:

Lú, I am quite aware of the complexity of changing online payment systems, and the whole corporate issue. It has been my work for 6 years.
Flickr is entitled to change it's payment system. But when by this change, thousands (?) of people are from one moment to the other at risk of not being able to continue with their Pro Account, and limit present this matter is just as urgent as correcting grammar issues with the translations.
Flickr is still a business and Pro Accounts are still part of its revenue and possibly had a great deal to allow this multilingual service, including the revenue from ProAccounts that are as of today at danger of not being able to continue when expiration date comes.

view photos

Bree R says:

Do you have bank accounts with a debit card? You can use your debit card like a credit card anywhere these days.

view photos

Farruska says:

No Bree R, at least not with the German EC debit card (EC is not the Eurocard), nor with a Portuguese (BES) debit card .
Farruska edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

clumsy stocking says:

@ Bree R: Not here for pay flickr they ONLY offer Master, Visa, Discover and Amex cards. Our Cards here in germany are not from those brands nor they have the typical credit card number just the bank account number on it. I doubt if they work in the current payment system. So those debit cards are of no use when it comes to pay for flickr.

Since those cards are included in a bank account in germany for free without charge. Most people here only own this card and no credit cards, as credit cards cost quite a lot of fees each year. And not owning a credit card doesn't bring any disadvantage here in my country as nearly all shops and offices accept the debit(maestro or electronic cash) cards.

view photos

Lú_ says:

I'm not saying it's not serious. I'm saying that they probably aren't in a position to make a statement here about it that quickly.

view photos

Mister Phill says:

Paypal please.

view photos

I hope they address this soon, my pro account expires in feb, so no hurry yet, but I know there is others that are fixing to expire sooner then the end of this month.

view photos

Jim Skea says:

Me not like. I've everything set up for Paypal, it works very smoothly and I've no grumbles about the service.

If it's not broken, don't try to fix it.

view photos

teotwawki says:

Erm... you can still pay by paypal...

view photos

Jaydot says:

Paypal please!

I've been using Paypal for over five years, never had any problems, I'd hate to try and figure out another method of payment.

view photos

Lú_ says:

Erm... you can still pay by paypal...

I just went partway through the payment process looking for that option, but it wasn't there. Is it there in Europe but not in North America? (I'm in North America.)

view photos

Pacdog says:

oh where is the Flickr staff? (hiding?) speak up pls!!!!

view photos

The Searcher says:

teotwawki: how? I read thru the Yahoo Wallet stuff and they don't seem to include anything other than major credit cards and debit cards. Where's the paypal option?

view photos

clumsy stocking says:

Not really, I tried it now and it asks me to enter credit card details when try to add paypal to my yahoo wallet. Due to I'm not owning one I cannot use paypal with yahoo wallet. The option Paypal is there but not useable. I'm using paypal in prepaid-mode this isn't involving any credit card. I fill my Paypal account from time to time by bank-transfer and keep a certain prepaid amount in my paypal to use for pay for online services.

One reason I was choosing flickr to store my photos here were the ability to be able to use this Prepaid-Paypal without credit card system.

view photos

Jim Skea says:

Not seeing that option, teotwawki.

view photos

clumsy stocking says:

For me the paypal option appears if i go to my yahoo wallet options. Its all written in german. It just don't show when enter the "order pro account" procedure from within flickr.
As I visited my yahoo wallet Options i could see it but I can't bind my Paypalaccount to my yahoo wallet as it was requiteing credit card details, grrr :-\ :-(

view photos

The Searcher says:

So it's only effective if your Paypal uses a credit card, which is defeating the purpose of Paypal for all of the people here with no credit cards. So it's an option in text-name only.

view photos

Farruska says:

Teotwawki, do you have anything different other than
"You can pay by Visa, Mastercard, Amex or Discover." if you try to extend your account?

Lú, it can't be a Europe / America thing. I'm in Germany (Europe) and the option is not there anymore.

"Yahoo! Wallet accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express payment credit cards, plus debit cards with the Visa or MasterCard logo on them"

What seems is that Wallet allows to add Paypal as a method but is not processing Paypal payments. From this other forum concerning yahoo questions, someone added Paypal to Y!wallet as a payment method. The system allowed to add Paypal as an option but it does not process the payment order. A week ago this same person got the answer from Yahoo:
"I've just contacted Yahoo again. The answer i received:
We are not yet accepting PayPal as a form of payment (in his case for Mail Plus but that's irrelevant) currently."

@The Searcher , I believe you got that right :(

view photos

teotwawki says:

Jim Skea OK... I can add paypal payment as an option on Yahoo! Wallet. I don't see the option to pay by paypal on Flickr.
teotwawki edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

clumsy stocking says:

@Farruska, thanks for the information, its very useful! :)

view photos

Jim Skea says:

I just get the 4 credit cards named above, too.

I notice that when I go to the (Portuguese) help page it now tells me that payments are done through Braspag (?)

view photos

Farruska says:

Jim, Braspag is a company for internet payments from Brazil ;) The help page content is probably adapted to each country in the event of that country has a online payment regulatory entity/company

Andreas, you're welcome. just trying to help not to let this issue be forgotten over translation fixes...

view photos

Jim Skea says:

@Farruska: yup, but I don't recall them being used before when I paid via Paypal. Or perhaps it was transparent to me.

view photos

I Don't have a debit card, I prefer not to get one, may have to now.. grrrr

view photos

crazyinthenight says:

Best thing about paypal: they support "Giropay" and if your bank does too, one can sign up to Paypal in a minute and do real time acknowledged and guaranteed transfers instantly and without any delay. No credit card or prepaid account required, just your regular internet banking enabled bank account.

view photos

Violentz says:

Well, time to ask for other Flickr members with Credit Cards to buy Pro Accounts for people.

view photos

>>>>watches more begging groups form....

view photos

Farruska says:

Violentz , that seems hardly the solution for redrawing the only payment method for so many, and that is the main point not to forget here: not everybody owns a credit card, either per choice or driven from the country

PayPal operates in 103 markets (including China) and it manages over 133 million accounts. PayPal allows customers to send, receive and hold funds in 17 currencies worldwide. These currencies are the U.S. Dollar, Canadian Dollar, Australian Dollar, Euro, Pounds Sterling, Japanese Yen, Chinese RMB, Czech Koruna, Danish Krone, Hong Kong Dollar, Hungarian Forint, New Zealand Dollar, Norwegian Krone, Polish Zloty, Singapore Dollar, Swedish Krona, and Swiss Franc. PayPal operates locally in 13 countries.

PayPal has 35m customers in Europe, including 15m in Britain, which is the region's biggest online shopper. More than half of Britain's population is now online and more than half of British internet users have a PayPal account.

how can this Payment method be removed ?
Did anyone hear before today's localization migration that Paypal would be removed?

(on this related subject, www.bump.net/2007/06/yahoo-forces-their-version-of-paypal... )

view photos

crazyinthenight says:

Begging most certainly won't work... Do the flickr rules say anything about selling your body? virtually? ;-) (just kidding)

view photos

Farruska says:

lol crazyinthenight :D one has to maintain the humor over this :D
and I see you paid your ProAccount with Paypal too.

view photos

far-flung clam says:

in france, no more paypal.

Hey Yahoo, you don't care if I don't want to give you my credit card number, hu?

view photos

Well I guess the only thing to do is sit and wait.... for a Official thread to let us know what is going to happen here.Mean while I will find a another place to put my photos, just incase,(PLAN B)

view photos

Calm down Schizoo, it will be ok....

view photos

sincere division says:

I to have no credit cards. No debit account either. I use to pay by off line method. Send a money order. But some Flickr friends told me there is still a way to pay my account. Go to the store were they sell the credit cards that you can put the amount of money on it just for what you need it for. Let's say 2 years of Flickr. total it up go to the store buy a credit card and put the amount you need on to it. Then come to Flickr pay your account. Then after you pay your account the card can't be used for anything else. Plus there will be no payments due as you will have put only the amount you need to pay your Flickr account. This can be done every time you wish to pay your account.

view photos

Farruska says:

Photojunky, still not a solution at least for me and I beleve for people living in Germany. As Andreas explained before, credit cards fees in Germany are (on porpuse) extremely high, temporary credit cards do not exist in Germany. Also getting a credit card just for Flickr is not profitable as the transaction cost is way higher than the value of the transaction itself.
The offline method is over for sometime now.

maybe next time it would be good to read the whole thread and try to understand what people in different countries experience before making this sort of suggestion ? People are not complaining over nothing ;)

view photos

Hey now that is a idea Photojunky, thanks for that idea..

view photos

sincere division says:

Farruska, I read it and understand about your concern. But may I ask do the stores there sell pre payed cards ? It is not like a real credit card that throws on fees and interests. You put onto it only the amount that you need. Then once used throw it away. Do they have this were you live? If not then yes Flickr needs to add something people like you can use to pay there accounts.
sincere division edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

sincere division says:

Ladyphornixx, your welcome :-)

view photos

clumsy stocking says:

@Photojunky Unfortunately your suggestion isn't possible in germany. We don't have anyof those shops where you can make thise "Disposeable" creditcards where you can add some value. Here in germany its only possible to get credit cards from the bakns, my bank not even offer a debit card with credit card functionality (lets say with visa or mastercard logo and with a valid credit card number).
The regular credit cards we can obtain here are inconvnient and not worth just to use with flickr a large group of german flicker users essentially rely on paypal to continue the pro accounts they are using.

view photos

André Elias says:

When I switch to Portuguese it says I can only use MasterCard to pay for the pro account.

It says the prices are in Reais (brazilian money), but it still is in US$.

Well, I have MasterCard, but a lot of people will complain about that, and some people will think $24 refers to brazilian currency, while it's dollars.

view photos

André Elias says:

Btw, if you read the FAQ about the payment in Brazil it says you must use BrasPag. But the link redirects to Paypal!? Lost in translation? :-P

view photos

Farruska says:

I know what sort of card you mean Photojunky, but no, not on that sense, that is you don't go to a store ans aks for a card with X money and that's it. You do have services like myprepaid but are always associated to Banks, which means that to register for the prepaid card you do have to associate again your bank account to possibly yet another bank and become automatically registered at the credit regulatory entity . Plus, this system uses the Giropay that crazyinthenight mentioned before. All in all, it means replacing Paypal with opening a file at another bank and at the central credit regulatory for paying the exact same way that worked until now.
This is really upsetting as it seems that not even by credit card we (my husband and I though his portuguese credit card') are going to be able to pay
If it ain't broken , don't fix it......

(Andreas I see you already answered too , please correct me in any wrongness :) )
edited to correct badly written word :D

view photos

M-u-z says:

If indeed this is true then why Flickr would abolish PayPal beggars belief. No Paypal = No Flickr unfortunately.

view photos

clumsy stocking says:

Thanks for the information about myprepaid. I didn't hear about this service before. Unortunatel its not a comfortable solution as the annual fee is 28-53EUR depending if you want to own a virtual card only or a real plastic card. Thus fee is quite high considering the features they offer. e.g. you can only add 300EUR to this card and therefore render it useless for larger payments.
Also the fee of 28EUR/year is already higher than the flickr fee which is ridiculous.
Therefore many german flickr users rely on Playpal if they not already own a credit card as they have a use for it just own a credit card of online business is not worth in germany because of the fees. Credit cards issued by banks sometimes have even higher fees than the given example.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Stewart says:

I've update the initial topic in this thread, saying that additional payment modes will come in the future. The launch this morning is not the last time we will ever change Flickr, so it's a little early to assume the worst :)

Supporting many currencies with many methods in many different languages while remaining on the right side of dozens of different laws about payments, billing, taxes is ... not as simple as it may seem at first. But we are listening and are committed to doing our best to making sure than anyone who wants to buy a pro account will be able to do so.

Farruska: "If it ain't broken , don't fix it......"

I know there are a few people here who like PayPal and others who don't care one way or the other, but who are not able to pay by credit card, but I'm not sure it's right to say it wasn't broken. Since we launched the pro accounts in late 2004, there have been more complaints about PayPal than any other aspect of the service. A quick scan of the older forum posts on this topic -- www.flickr.com/search/forum/?q=paypal (or searches for "I hate PayPal", "PayPal sucks", etc. -- can give you a sense of how people felt.

view photos

M-u-z says:

Bring back PayPal to avoid losing customers/ renewals in future. :)

view photos

Farruska says:

M-u-z , the answer tends to be simple: Flickr was bought by a larger corporation called Yahoo who has it's own payment method called Wallet, which does not support Paypal. And why ? business. Google Payments don't support Paypal either. In fact the three are direct competitors. The main difference is that in some countries where credit cards are (go figure) mostly not used , you can asociate your account to Paypal (the Giropay method)....while with walled and GPayments you asociate only credit cards.

business will always speak louder, even if loses a couple of thousands (?) paying users on it's way.

No I am going to sleep and maybe tomorrow when I wake up this whole paypal thing was just a nightmare and Flicrk didn't did this huge mistake.

view photos

zany loaf says:

Update from staff: we will be adding additional payment options in the future and are always looking at how we can make things easier for Flickr members around the globe. Given that this change is less than 6 hours old, your patience is appreciated :)

...well this is too funny.
...whats the matter with paypal? it worked ok, didn't it? i guess there are lots of people without credit cards, or don't want to use flickr wallet.

hope there'll be some more explanation soon... my account will expire in a month...

view photos

Farruska says:

Stewart, I did took the trouble to search the foruns before posting anything and I am aware of the problems people have complained here. I use paypal for every online transaction since 2002 and never ever had any problems with it. is it just me? as also was mentioned before, a large part of the paying german community has renewd its pro account precisely because they can use paypal.

additional payment modes will come in the future.

not assume the worse. you are right, but how logical is it to announce today and redraw today the Paypal option and tell not to worry ? will it be back being the sole option for so many of us ? I am specially concern since my paid account expires on the 7th and not even by credit card we can pay as you might have read on the other thread mentioned above (flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/42546/) . Oh I see the thread was deleted....

view photos

Flickr Staff

Stewart says:

Farruska wrote: "Flickr was bought by a larger corporation called Yahoo who has it's own payment method called Wallet, which does not support Paypal. And why ? business. Google Payments don't support Paypal either. In fact the three are direct competitors."

For the record, this is completely false. Yahoo! does not compete with PayPal at all -- in fact we have a multi-year partnership with PayPal and are offering it in more and more services, including Wallet. (See this link, among others.) That is a possibility for Flickr as well.

Further, PayPal is not the only option for payments in Germany. Germany had a robust ecommerce market before PayPal entered the country and even now PayPal usage is tiny in comparison to direct payments, so there are other options.

Including PayPal in the new system is one possibility. We are trying to come up with a solution that works for as wide a variety of people as possible. As I said, we're not stopping development on Flickr today and it's now been a little more than six hours since we launched, so it is a little early to panic.
Stewart (staff) edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

eτi says:

the old system certainly didn't work for me - if i wanted to pay with my creditcard i kept getting messages that told me to take a paid paypal account etcetera, in the end friends had to pay for me.

so i'm really happy that i can use my creditcard now!

but it would have been better if paypal had not been dropped, for those who like to use it.

the best solution would be a bank account nr. and IBAN code for those without credit card...?

view photos

M-u-z says:

additional payment modes will come in the future offers very little consolation if one of them isn't PayPal.

Flickr will be alienating a large group of their customers by withdrawing the PayPal payment option IMO.

view photos

julian- says:

Another vote for bringing back PayPal support.

While "we will be adding additional payment options in the future" sounds lovely, the same was (and still is if you check the FAQ) true of proper international printing options.

Yes, you're owned by Yahoo!, we get it. The thing is, PayPal, for all it's flaws, makes it really easy for a huge, huge number of people to pay for a Pro account with a few clicks, and with a huge range of cards and currencies that Y! Wallet doesn't support.

Is there a fundamental, non-corporate loyalties related reason, why Yahoo! Wallet and PayPal couldn't co-exist?

view photos

Gryfon says:

I'm only new to Flickr (joined yesterday), thought about upgrading to a pro account...went to pay and couldn't as I don't have (and never want to have) a credit card.

So I'm stuck with a free account when I want to give you my money to get a pro account!

Someone could have told me that I should have bought it 7 hours ago!!!

view photos

vfm4 says:

i don't have a credit card either, so paypal is the only option...

now what?

view photos

Elwyn / Elwynsattic says:

Does flickr have a problem with paypal? I have a credit card but paypal is very easy and convenient to use. I like having the option.

view photos

robust powder says:

Bugger.

I wish you had sent out a Flickr mail about this and I would have paid for another year. PayPal is my only method for payment, no credit card.

Other options would be good and you should have had them in place rather than saying they will be available in the future.

This is a little funny, limiting our options to give you money.

view photos

robust powder says:

I was also looking at getting another Pro account setup in the next few weeks for images of my friends for my friends.

Now I'm going to be limited to the free account, with all it's restrictions, number of images, limited sets etc or look for alternatives.

Could you please rethink this decision.

view photos

Jim Skea says:

Since we launched the pro accounts in late 2004, there have been more complaints about PayPal than any other aspect of the service.

Well, that may be true. But on the other hand the vast majority of us who haven't had any problems with Paypal never mentioned this in the help forum. If we had then probably then who's not to say there would have been more eulogies for Paypal than any other aspect of the service?

Let me start putting this right now by saying that, even though living in Brazil where international payments can be difficult...

I LOVE PAYPAL AND HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER WITH THEM.

Thanks.

view photos

clumsy stocking says:

@Stewart: Yesterday I tried to tie my PayPal acount to my yahoo wallet but in the process of doing so I got asked for a credit card so this isnt a possibility for all European customers of flickr who dont own and want to own a credit card. Furthermore I also want to say I didn't had problems with paypal before and also already mentioned it in some of the Paypal-Problems threads before.

view photos

sincere division says:

@ Stewart , the off line pay method worked great for one's like me with no credit cards or debit cards. Why can't Flickr keep this method also for payments. Sure it takes a couple of weeks for your account to update. But I didn't mind. I always made sure I payed way ahead of time. But now when my account comes due again in 2009 and off line pay isn't there and I get the one time pay credit card at the store will I have trouble with Yahoo wallet ? Or will it work as a simple credit card with no problems ?

view photos

faithshannon says:

I am another complainer that wants to use my existing paypal account!!! I have had my paypal account for over 7 years and I have never had a problem. I own no credit cards so I must pay using this system. I was just about to buy a pro account too!!! This is VERY upsetting!!!

view photos

Photography By Barb says:

I don't know about you...but I just purchased a Pro account a few days ago with PayPal. When did they get rid of it?

I'm not complaining, but it's easier. Instead of typing in all my info I just log-in to my PayPal account and they take care of it. Maybe for international orders they'll take PayPal?

view photos

dominocat says:

I too would have problems paying with any other method aside from Paypal. I've used it twice for my flickr account and had no problems at all. I'm in the UK, and do not have a credit card. Thankfully, my account is not due for renewal for another nine months or so, so hopefully something will be sorted out - and NOT yahoo wallet.

I'm sorry but I'm not giving my bank details to yahoo, and from what I've seen from a quick websearch, there have been problems with yahoo accepting paypal on wallet. Aside from anything, it will mean signing up to yet another unwanted yahoo service.

Stewart said: "Since we launched the pro accounts in late 2004, there have been more complaints about PayPal than any other aspect of the service"

Well, Paypal boasts an estimated 100 million users in 55 countries, it's hardly surprising that there will be some problems, but to pull the service without warning or alternative? (and "some time in the future" is not really acceptable for people trying to buy/renew accounts now )

Whatever the alternative, The Powers That Be need to consider any cost to users - for instance, making a payment by bank transfer from here in the UK to the US would cost me something in the region of $30-40 over the top of what I was transferring. With Paypal, that payment wouldn't cost a thing.

just my thoughts...
dominocat edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Brenda Anderson says:

When did they get rid of it?

About 12 hours ago?

view photos

Goston says:

Can I pay via Yahoo now!?

I wnat to extend my pro account, but Yahoo Premium Service ALWAYS show me:

The system is either busy or unavailable.
Please try again in a few minutes.
If the request continues to fail, please return to the beginning and try again.
We apologize for the inconvenience.

view photos

Farruska says:

Further, PayPal is not the only option for payments in Germany. Germany had a robust ecommerce market before PayPal entered the country and even now PayPal usage is tiny in comparison to direct payments, so there are other options.

before a Flicrk staff decides to wrongly accuse a payment member of false information while defending would be nice (again) to read the whole thread with a clear head:

1 - it was NEVER mentioned that Germany's only ecommerce payment options was Paypal

2 - what was EVER mentioned here was that Paypal IS the only feasible option to pay small values like $25 or $48. And if one reads carefully every statement given by a german member or a member living in germany , one will see that we mentioned other payments methods availabe:
credit card: yes they exist. No it's not a common resource here for several reasons:
"The regular credit cards we can obtain here are inconvnient and not worth just to use with flickr a large group of german flicker users essentially rely on paypal to continue the pro accounts they are using.
Most people here only own this card and no credit cards, as credit cards cost quite a lot of fees each year. And not owning a credit card doesn't bring any disadvantage here in my country as nearly all shops and offices accept the debit(maestro or electronic cash) cards.
For notice, the EC card doesn't even work as a debit card outside Germany.
temporary credit cards
"Here in germany its only possible to get credit cards from the bakns, my bank not even offer a debit card with credit card functionality (lets say with visa or mastercard logo and with a valid credit card number)."
virtual credit card services, this applies to solutions like myprepaid, wirdecard
again, not feasible for this sort transaction:
"Thanks for the information about myprepaid. I didn't hear about this service before. Unfrtunatel its not a comfortable solution as the annual fee is 28-53EUR depending if you want to own a virtual card only or a real plastic card. Thus fee is quite high considering the features they offer. e.g. you can only add 300EUR to this card and therefore render it useless for larger payments.
Also the fee of 28EUR/year is already higher than the flickr fee which is ridiculous.
Therefore many german flickr users rely on Playpal if they not already own a credit card as they have a use for it just own a credit card of online business is not worth in germany because of the fees. Credit cards issued by banks sometimes have even higher fees than the given example."
bank transfer and E-check
quoting again Andreas
"E-check is also not possible for me. I only can pay via paypal, or bank transfer to a bank account located in the european union. All other would be of no use as the charges for this payment methods would exceed the actual fee for flickr for one year."
this applies to Einzugsermächtigung and Abbuchungsauftrag
T-pay micropayments
payable through: credit card (not feasible), direct debit (not feasible), telephone bill (not feasible again: not everyone has a T-com contract), by telephone (not feasible as the 900-numbers are not available outside T-com network)

I hope this clarifies why we defended Paypal as the only feasible payment solution for most german flickr paying community.

view photos

dominocat says:

Just seen this on the flickr blog:

"As part of this launch, Flickr Pro payment processing is now handled by Yahoo! Wallet and supports a myriad of credit card options."

oh. Well that sorts that out, then.

:/

view photos

Amsterdamned! says:

And I prefer to pay with iDEAL...

view photos

solidgolduwa says:

Visa from Australia doesn't work, there is no payment option for Paypal.

I don't have another Credit Card, and I'm not going to start one for flickr.

Bad business guys, your harming yourselves, get this issue sorted

view photos

Allyeska says:

Im in Australia and my preferred method of payment is also Paypal. im very dissapointed this has been removed. :(

view photos

daviddb says:

Getting shot of PayPal is a very very backward step - the PayPal system is, for me, quick, easy, simple and, most of all, efficient. And why on earth withdraw something without giving us some warning so that we can attempt to make arrangements. That's just plain arrogant and appears to show contempt for your customers.

Hey! I'm only trying to give you some money here.....get a grip and put PayPal back on the menu.

view photos

Walwyn says:

Most people here only own this card and no credit cards, as credit cards cost quite ...
For notice, the EC card doesn't even work as a debit card outside Germany.

How do German's manage in Poland, France, rest of Europe, etc?

I've not had a credit card since 1992, but my debit card has always worked just fine in ATMs across the world, and when buying stuff online. Looks like it will still work with the recent changes here too.

But I'd really would like to know how it is that German's manage to travel abroad without taking wads of cash.

view photos

crazyinthenight says:

They just should have announced earlier (at all) that PayPal support would disappear. Just bought a pro account so it will remain until next year, but I can imagine how much fun it is for those who want to renew their membership these days and find PayPal to be gone.

"e-commerce before paypal"? Yes -- direct bank transfer. This would be okay and everbody is used to it (as compared to paypal). Although transfers should be kept within the EU. And it most certainly will introduce annoying delays. When I know it takes maybe a business week or longer for my account to be upgraded, inducement to buy is quite lowered.

view photos

crazyinthenight says:

@Walwyn: About every bank card over here supports Maestro, which works virtually globally for both payments and ATM. (On every ATM that accepts MasterCard, as far as I know.)

view photos

Farruska says:

Walwyn, crazyinthenight already answered :) outside Germany I do take money and when in Portugal I use a portuguese bank account debit card only (cannot be used as credit card for online payments as it does not have the necessary information).

I can understand this whole thing maybe difficult to understand to those whose Bank card can be used as credit card as well and probably never have known it any otherway . A picture speaks better than words (sometimes) so this is a typical German bank card (debit only), this is what you'll get at the bank after opening an account and what is used in the majority of businesses here. Some shops (like supermarkets Plus) only started to accept Debit cards a few time ago, before it was cash only. Some shops don't even accept credit card, and we're talking big tech shops like Saturn where business is done by cash or credit using their own credit company partnership.

:)

view photos

Walwyn says:

I can understand this whole thing maybe difficult to understand to those whose Bank card can be used as credit card as well and probably never have known it any otherway

Except that mine isn't a credit card, just a debit card. It does however allow visa but not as a credit payment simply as a debit. IOW I have no credit facilities on this card at all, no separate visa account, just my normal current account.
Walwyn edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

gpaterson says:

Having just attempted to pay for a Pro account, I discovered that I can't because I use a Switch/Maestro debit card and not a credit card. However I was even more alarmed by the following statement on the payment page:

"Flickr Pro Accounts currently are not offered in the United Kingdom or Ireland by Yahoo! UK Ltd. However, they are available for purchase in United States Dollars from our US-based Flickr service offered by Yahoo! Inc. By clicking "OK! I'M READY TO PAY", you agree to receive the same great Flickr services from Yahoo! Inc., under the Yahoo! Inc. Additional Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. "

So not only can I not pay, even if I could, I'd have to agree to transfer ALL of my yahoo accounts and details to the US instead of continuing to use my Yahoo! UK accounts. This strikes me as an incredibly stupid situation, as I effectively have to give up my UK consumer protection rights and data protection rights, just to pay money to Flickr. Sorry, but no.

view photos

Dr. Keats says:

How happy am I - renewed my Pro account via PayPal less than a week ago. Bliss...

Stewart said: "Since we launched the pro accounts in late 2004, there have been more complaints about PayPal than any other aspect of the service".

Yep, PayPal did have a number of problems; particularly regarding coverage (not all countries were served by PayPal), and the whole issue of users being effectively forced to use PayPal whether they wanted to or not - but search the Forum for past topics, and you'll see that many of the problems were also due to user-error.

Number One was users complaining bitterly that they'd paid but hadn't gone Pro; having blithely ignored the fact that they'd chosen the E-check option, which clearly stated that it'd be several days before the payment went through.

Another popular one was people trying to use their credit card with PayPal, only to have it rejected for having expired.

The primary problem was utilising PayPal as the sole portal through which payments could be processed - really dumb idea! What should have been done was allow multiple payment options - credit cards processed via Wallet OR PayPal (user chooses which one), straight PayPal payments (bank account-funded), bank transfer, etc.

Instead, PayPal's copped the blame, and been dumped altogether.

Two wrongs don't make a right, guys...

view photos

DanielRobinson says:

I'm going to be stuck without a way to renew my pro account as well. Visa is not generally used for debit cards and most Australians don't have a credit card unless they have some special need for it, which when you think about it is a pretty good thing. I don't want to spend money that I don't have, and I don't have any use for a card that for an exorbitant fee will allow me to do that.

view photos

iansand says:

DanielRobinson I have a St George Visa debit card which I use for Internet transactions (including flickr). ANZ also issue them, as do most credit unions and Westpac in Victoria.

view photos

Violentz says:

Someone mentioned above about getting a gift card. Like a VISA gift card. You just buy one and add the amount of value you want on it....and you use it like a credit card. It's like a gift certificate in a credit card form. That sounds like a good temporary alternative than using Paypal. Do other countries have such gift cards?

view photos

LightsCameraAction says:

I think Flickr just shot itself in the foot with this one. If revenues are not lower than anticipated next month, I will eat my hat - assuming of course that the hat shop still takes PayPal.

All of these suggestions are fine, if you think that selecting and applying and waiting for a CC when you already have a perfectly acceptable method of payment is fine.

I won't be renewing until they take Paypal again. Which they will.
LightsCameraAction edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Farruska says:

Violentz, in that way not in every country as also mentioned before ;) also for alternative methods one must also think on the cost for transaction / value for transaction. if for paying $25 one has to pay 25 or or more euros on transactional fees (or credit card fees in the event of having to use CC only for flickr), like Andreas mentioned on th example of prepaid, then is is not feasible :)

view photos

robust powder says:

I really don't understand why we couldn't have been warned this was happening. Perhaps we where and I missed it but changes as big as this deserve some sort of fanfare like the OldSkool account changes.

I'm quite disapointed I can't get another Pro account going now. If I had been warned I would have got it done before this change.

At the very least bring back PayPal for 60 days so that users can get things sorted on their accounts.

Not all of us in the world have credit cards, perhaps Yahoo thinks such people are not worth bothering about.

view photos

NathanaelBC says:

Patience is appreciated? Funny change management ... no warning, no information, no smooth cut over ... at least this doesn't affect me for another 5 months. Sorry for the rest of yaz tho. At least this is like the only slip-up Yahoo has made with flickr so far ... I love flickr.

view photos

Jim Skea says:

I really don't understand why we couldn't have been warned this was happening.

And I really don't understand why Flickr can't have both Paypal and Yahoo wallet running simultaneously. Isn't one of the mainstay philosophies of management here that choice should, as far as possible, be devolved to the users? Why can't we choose to use Yahoo! wallet *or* Paypal?

stewart mentioned legal questions involving international money transfer, which I'm certain are tricky. But surely if Paypal was being used before then any legal aspects were covered? Once again I really don't understand.

view photos

Goston says:

I wnat to extend my pro account, but Yahoo Premium Service ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS show me:

The system is either busy or unavailable.
Please try again in a few minutes.
If the request continues to fail, please return to the beginning and try again.
We apologize for the inconvenience.

view photos

silly addition says:

flickr/yahoo seems getting tired of members:
* paypal gone
* forced censorship

why did I just sign up as pro three weeks ago?

view photos

LightsCameraAction says:

@Stewart. As an interim step, how about a 30 day amnesty on pro account upgrades, so people have time to move heaven and earth to find another way of paying?

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 14
(1 to 100 of 1314 replies in [closed] New Payment Options)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads