Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Detailed explanation of new features in Flickr 3.0 apps
Latest: 7 minutes ago
[Official Thread] Update on the new photo experience
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Official Thread] Take a survey to help us improve Flickr groups
Latest: 7 hours ago
[Official Thread] Using a Yahoo username and password to sign in to Flickr
Latest: 9 hours ago
[Official Thread] Providing feedback on Flickr 3.0 for iOS and Android
Latest: 4 days ago
[Official Thread] Using Flickr over a secure (SSL) connection
Latest: 5 days ago

Current Discussion

why can't i add the tag "0" to a photo?
Latest: 14 minutes ago
Hi
Latest: 18 minutes ago
Auto-Upload set to Public
Latest: 27 minutes ago
Titles gone?
Latest: 60 minutes ago
Sharing is restricted for this photo
Latest: 72 minutes ago
Favorite own photos - why can't we do this?
Latest: 87 minutes ago
Some forums don't process correctly new Flickr BBCodes
random ads are appearing among my photo images
Bug? Getting "Contact Limit Reached" error when non-reciprocal contacts are fewer than 3000
Thousands of views from unknown source in 24h?
Missing about 3000++ images (had almost 7000...now below 4000!!)
Adding photos to groups in updated iPhone app?
Latest: 3 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Access Flickr! (Firefox Extension)

Hamed Saber says:

This thread is the official discussion home for a Firefox extension named Access Flickr!, which can be downloaded from this address:

Access Flickr!
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4286

The extension bypasses the flickr.com blockage caused by governments or organizations.

Please post bugs, suggestions for new versions, and any related material here.
Posted at 8:15AM, 11 June 2007 PDT ( permalink )
Hamed Saber edited this topic 74 months ago.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 184 replies in Access Flickr! (Firefox Extension))
view photos

Hamed Saber says:

The main thread for discussing about this extension was in discussions of Iran group before creating this forum thread. And the reason I transferred it to here is that when I wrote the first version of extension, the Flickr censorship was limited to Iran, so I opened the discussion in Iranian group. But now, UAE, Saudi Arabia and these days China joined this shameful set of censorship, so there exist lots of non-Iranian users of this extension now!
Posted 84 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

miles6k says:

I installed this extension. I saw the pictures for about 1 minute. Then was my internet access complete cut. It worked again after deinstallation. Deactivation had no success. So I can not recommend this AddOn for China. I'm now in Beijing.

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@miles6k: If you want to solve your problem, you can speak more technically.
And if you don't want so, I can refer you to non-technical "thank givings" from other Chinese flickr users here:
www.flickr.com/groups/chinese/discuss/72157600327328922/
And here:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/41998/page3/
(After my first post)

You also can check these English blogs:
asia.cnet.com/reviews/blog/littleredblog/0,39056119,62020...
www.globalvoicesonline.org/2007/06/09/china-flickr-filter...
tenpercent.wordpress.com/2007/06/09/hamed-saber-saves-the...
colourwolf.com/index.php/2007/06/10/hamed_saber
This German blog:
www.franztoo.de/?p=323

And more than a hundred of other blogs, which most of them are Chinese these days and I can't understand them, but they can be found here:
technorati.com/posts/tag/"access+flickr"+firefox

Please check your computer and your connection, before trying to accuse others!

view photos

miles6k says:

I deeply apologize. I'm far away from accusing others! I simply reported what happened after installation. The problem was that the DNS was not able to resolve ANY address. So I called it *cut*.
I wonder if others have the same problem NOW. I don't doubt on your extension.

view photos

Patrick He says:

@miles6k
Maybe you browsed some photos with some "sensitive words" which could cause your Internet connection to be cut by GFW devices.

view photos

esther230100 says:

I instralled this extension two hours ago and it really works. It's amazing. Thank you very much Hamed Saber. You save me from the hell. I'm in china.
Posted 83 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Peking.Duck says:

no problem with the extension, and i am in beijing as well!

view photos

allenminglee says:

Hi, dear friends,
I'm also in BJ and suffering from the non-accessbility to Flickr photos stream. I'm happy to see someone from China installed the extension and works. I tried couple of times to install this extension as well but found no way to install it. I hit the bar of INSTALL NOW

view photos

allenminglee says:

Hi, dear friends,
I'm also in BJ and suffering from the non-accessbility to Flickr photos stream. I'm happy to see someone from China installed the extension and works. I tried couple of times to install this extension as well but found no way to install it. I hit the bar of INSTALL NOW, my PC prompts to make a save then save the file on desktop and tried to open the file for installation but my PC windows couldn't open the file anymore. Can someone help to install the extention, very much appreciated!!

view photos

allenminglee says:

NOw I finally figured out how to install the extension but still I couldn't view the image, anything wrong? Anyone from Beijing successfully bypassed the GFW to view the image?

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@allenminglee: My friend, you should first install a browser named Firefox, and then try the extension.
You can download Firefox here:
getfirefox.com
(Please read very short and easy to use description text of extension in it's page, exactly where you click the "install now" buttom, before asking such a question!)

@miles6k: Clear all cache types (including histories) from your browser. Then open a command prompt and try this command:
ipconfig /flushdns

view photos

allenminglee says:

Hi, Mr. Saber,
You save my pictures!! finally I figured out to install the extension now my world saved!! Very much appreciated your contribution.

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

KNOWN BUG
KNOWN BUG
KNOWN BUG

The extension has problems with Flickr Blog.
Check here and here for more details.

view photos

miles6k says:

Thank you for suggestion. I actually cleared all cache. One of my pics has the sensitive name "tiananmen". Maybe I rename before I try again. I'm now on the way to Shenzhen.

view photos

miles6k says:

Ok, I tried it again. It's related to the keywords respectively the picture name. I renamed my pic... ok la. Thank you all for support. GFW is really sensitive.

view photos

nearbythetree says:

Hi Hamed Saber,

This is working for me, you have saved us (for now) here in Beijing. Thanks.

But there seems to be a bug or censor still working. When I want to rotate a photo, the popup box comes up over the photo but is blank.

The connection to flickr is then cut for a few minutes.

Any ideas.

view photos

Azchael says:

Hello Hamed,

had you had already time to solve the blog bug?

Thanks for everything,
Azchael

view photos

Jingle526 says:

This missing photos is not only in China, it is now happening in Thailand as well, I can not see any photos at all for two days now.

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@Azchael: I have time my friend, but it seems Flickr staff don't have enough time for hearing me!
Check it here.

@nearbythetree: I can't imagine why your problem is happens, and how it can be solved. Send me some more details via email, so I can check it.

view photos

‌Bahadorjn says:

Hi

Cnet has mentioned to the extension here: news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9729353-7.html?part=rss

Congrats Hamed!

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

Thank you e-Buddy

view photos

GraemeNicol says:

First of all, thanks Hamed for designing the add-on. For someone like myself without much technical knowledge of software and such-like, it's reassuring that there's always a clued-up netizen like yourself somewhere, one step ahead of big brother.

Your firefox plug-in has been working successfully for me from one of China's "open" coastal cities for the last three weeks. I used it today with no problems.

However...

It now seems that the Mozilla.com site itself is being blocked in the part of China I'm living in, and this includes the "access flickr" download page. Thus access is limited to those who have already downloaded the software. The firefox installer itself can be downloaded through proxy sites, but installing the plug-in seems to be blocked.

Are there any alternative sites that the plug-in can be installed from ?

I'll keep looking and keep people posted if I find a way around it.

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@+graemetric-: The plug-in is a 12KB file, which could be emailed or re-published anywhere. Using it in such way just has a small problem, that the user won't able to get updates automatically, and should upgrade the extension manually.
You can download it from Mozilla with some proxy, it is a .xpi file, and then send it to your friends.

view photos

Bradden Wondra says:

Great tool, works well from Beijing, China.

Any chance you could help us all by adding support for Wikipedia (which is also blocked here) into the plug-in?

Bravo!
Posted 82 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@Bradden Wondra: Thanks. You can do it yourself. The extension is open-source, and has a Mozilla redevelopment license.

view photos

dgould3 says:

Hamed.... Thank You!!! I am in Fenggang Town Dongguang City PRC China and I just installed your link... IT WORKS!!!!!! Good Job!!

You are a Life Saver!!

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@dgould3: You are welcome Fenggang

view photos

onion83 says:

中国人民感谢您~

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@onion83: You are welcome. Thank you too, and thanks Google translator for supporting Chinese ;)

view photos

Elke's Photos says:

Hi Hamed,
thanks a lot! Made my flickr also work in Shanghai!

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@Elke's Photos: U're welcome too

view photos

chrisdrum says:

I wonder if this extension can be "extended" to support other sites? I suppose it depends on the technical nature of the blocks - but it appears that the image servers for satellite imagery used by maps.google.com have been affected in some way. maps work fine, but we don't get any satellite imagery. It seems the sites with domain kh#.google.com aren't being accessed.

This si the first I have noticed this problem, and it could very well be a technical, temporary glitch... I am just curious if it is possible and relatively simple to extend this add-on for other sites?

view photos

chrisdrum says:

yikes! sorry, I didn't read a few posts above (the one referring to wikipedia). I'll look at the source and see if I can get it to work with google maps, and report back.

view photos

chrisdrum says:

Hmm, maybe i'm missing something, but where can I get the source code? If I download the .xpi file, it looks like a binary or its encrypted...

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@chrisdrum: In Mozilla add-ons site, login as a user, and re-check the page of my extension. After signing in, you can see an extra link there to source code.

view photos

chrisdrum says:

@Hamed Saber
ah! got it! thanks!
Posted 81 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

testintestin123 says:

but what about Mac users??????? sob......quitely dying trying to find how to open an .xpi file

view photos

testintestin123 says:

following above advice..

view photos

benjasmine says:

Hi Hamed Saber, I live in US, but I have lots of friends in China who can't access Flickr. This tool solves the problem. Thank you so much! Thank you for sharing the source code as well. :)

view photos

mcaulayb@xtra.co.nz says:

Hi I live in Shanghai and cannot access the photos on my Flickr account. I have Downloaded Firefox and then the thread link - restarted and still no joy. I see others in China have had success with this so don't know what I am doing wrong

view photos

2ndChans says:

I'm in Beijing as well and this extension worked just fine showing all the pictures after I installed it into my Firefox for 2 days. Though now I'm faced with a challenge that I fail to upload picture any longer suddenly. Not sure if it is related to NEW policy of concerned authorities, or of Flickr, or some kind of bugs or what... Maybe someone would help.

Also, million thanks to Hamed Saber for his every effort. 8-).

view photos

Fred Crane says:

Access was working fine for me over the last 2 months (million thanks to Hamed!) but now I encounter a very strange phenomenon: since 3 days I can only see older pictures (uploaded appr. not later than June). In place of more recent fotos I only see a white area (without a red cross). That applies both to my own as well as all other pictures. I can get around it by using an anonymyzing proxy, but then I cannot log in. Very strange, indeed. Currently I am in Hefei, does anybody else face a similar problem?

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@(Fred): Update the extension

@2ndChans: Try the old way: www.flickr.com/photos/upload/basic/
New way, uses a swf Flash system which bypasses my extension, so drops in blocking firewalls!

@mcaulayb@xtra.co.nz: I think the best way is chatting with your local friends who had success.

@testintestin123: Sorry, I don't have any access to a Mac for debugging and testing the tool. I would be appreciated if someone do that for me and others!

view photos

testintestin123 says:

Thanks Hamed for being so helpful..x I really appreciate any support to a Mac user in the Middle Earth!
Posted 80 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

testintestin123 says:

By the way..you're a cyber STAR!!!!

view photos

.Mohammad Taheri says:

for the new server
/^([^\.]*\.?)farm3.static.flickr.com$/i,
>>>
farm3.static.flickr.com

works for me.. weird but yeah it works.. you probably need it to override the #1 replace case so the flickr.com in farm3 doesn't go to mud.

good luck editing it
(overlay.js)

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@sorrenta: Thank you for informing about the new image server. I'll edit the extension and post it to Mozilla site in a few hours.

view photos

aleeza_y says:

hi....just wanted to know if you updated the extension???
i don't know how it works but its just great

view photos

.Mohammad Taheri says:

sorry kids, this works for me because my connection is not filtered
(I later found out)
because of how the extension works, even though my connection wasn't filtered the images would go blank.

if that made any sense, this means my fix will not work for you.

:(

view photos

.Mohammad Taheri says:

hamed how do you find the new yahoo.com server address from?

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@sorrenta: Try nslookup in Windows or host in Linux.
It's farm3.static.flickr.yahoo3.akadns.net

view photos

aleeza_y says:

Hamed did you update this extension????

view photos

.Mohammad Taheri says:

oh, clever boy!

ty!

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

I've just uploaded the new version (1.7) on Mozilla site.
But its status is "pending for review". I wish this changes to "public" in less than 3 days so you can update your extensions automatically.

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

For temporary upgrades (till they review the new version) you can download it here:
Edit: I removed the link because the update is ready now

Save the xpi file on your desktop. Open a Firefox window, and then drag and drop the saved xpi on that window. Click install button, and restart your Firefox browser.
Hamed Saber edited this topic 80 months ago.

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

In this new version, I removed support for Flickr blog, because unfortunately Flickr staff didn't help me resolving the problem.
I'm sorry!

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

Version 1.7 is now public and available from official Mozilla add-ons website here:
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4286

Simple way: You can go to Tools > Add-ons and click on Find Updates button.

view photos

Recovering Sick Soul says:

Thank you so MUCH Mr.Saber
NoW it works as well as before

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

Version 1.71 is now public
Fixed a small bug about Flickr blog

view photos

+mo says:

go Hamed!

view photos

.Mohammad Taheri says:

just a note,

I had to uninstall the old one first for the new one to work :]

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

You can continue your discussions, ask questions or report bugs here at official discussion board of extension:
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/discussions/?AddOnID=4286

Posted 79 months ago. ( permalink )
Hamed Saber edited this topic 77 months ago.

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

For friends who have problem signing in to Flickr these days (redirecting to cookies error page), you can manually download the new version here:
Link removed, because Mozilla at last approved the new version!

or can simply wait for it to be accepted by Mozilla and automatically updated in your Firefox.

(Right click the link above, and select "save as", then save it to your desktop. When finished, drag and drop the saved file into an open Firefox window, and restart your Firefox)

Edit: Link removed, because Mozilla at last approved the new version!
Posted 77 months ago. ( permalink )
Hamed Saber edited this topic 77 months ago.

view photos

emotional* says:

thank you thank you thank you very much Hamed Saber :)

view photos

scribeoflight says:

In reference to a different thread...

\Hamed, in China, when I don't install your plug-in, I can generally view very recent images, but can't view older images... And also can never view user-icons... It seems to be about two or three weeks of newer images that are fine...

So, in China, the Flickr Access helps me view the site in its entirety...

Does this make any sense?

Any idea why some images are okay, some aren't?

(With the plug-in, you can also select "Open With"... and Firefox. Either will work...)

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@scribeoflight: The reason that old photos are not viewable is that your government blocked accessing to image servers of flickr, but they didn't continue blocking newly added servers. So you can see recent photos (which are stored in farm3)

view photos

mall A says:

I can see the picture on firefox beta3 pre

Thanks~ Sir~

view photos

color_of_wind1971 says:

thx, Hamed Saber. U r a life saver. I made it by installing access flickr 1.8.

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

The new version (1.8) is now public and approved by Mozilla guys, so it will be updated automatically for those who didn't use this way (downloading from my site).

And for you, who downloaded it from the link I provided above (saber.ir/...), I strongly recommend you to reinstall it from Mozilla site at this address:
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4286

This are exactly the same files, but if you reinstall it from Mozilla, you will automatically get future updates.

view photos

bluewan says:

我谨代表中国大陆15亿同胞感谢您!(严重了,呵呵`-`)
thank you for this addon!

view photos

Cybergabi says:

Hamed, you are my hero. This script has already supported me on my travels in China, through rough times in Germany (because here we have that picture display problem too, sometimes), and I did have the problems with the cookies lately, but hope this is now fixed again as well. Thanks so much - and a very Happy New Year to you and your friends in Iran!

view photos

jlxiong says:

Hamed, it helps a lot. Thank you soooo much.
However, would you please offer the mac edition?
Posted 76 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@jlxiong: The MacOSX edition is now ready for download
Posted 76 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

.Mohammad Taheri says:

needs updating ;)
Posted 75 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

NowJustNic says:

Yes Hamed, we'd be very grateful if you could update the add-on now that Flickr is using a new server! Thanks!

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

I'll do the update asap, thanks for informing

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

The new version (1.9) is now ready and is awaiting for review by Mozilla guys.
You can download it form sandbox versions here:
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/4286/sta...

You have to log in to Mozilla add-ons page to be able to download sandbox versions.

view photos

Michael Smith says:

Hamed, while you're here, can I thank you for being such a beacon of light to people whose countries block Flickr.

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@MichaelSmith: You are welcome :)

view photos

.Mohammad Taheri says:

yay!

ETA:
i don't think we have access to your sandbox versions _
.Mohammad Taheri edited this topic 75 months ago.

view photos

1Ehsan says:

Dear Hamed !
Are you sure that this link is correct ???
I can't find version 1.9 . I see only version history of access flickr !

view photos

Vahid Rahmanian says:

@Sorrenta & 1Ehsan:
For installing an add-on that is still in sand box you must create an account and sign in and then install that add-on. I strongly recommend you to do it so ASAP, because (if I'm not mistake) the more people install this version, the sooner it becomes public and accessible for everyone.

In Persian for my countrymen:
برای این‌که به ورژن جدید اکستنشن دست‌رسی داشته باشدی باید در سایت موزیلا عضو شوید و بعد اکستنشن به روز شده را اینستال کنید. پیش‌نهاد می‌کنم حتما این‌کار را بکنید، چون اگر اشتباه نکنم هرقدر تعداد کسانی که این اکستنشن را اینستال می‌کنند بیش‌تر بشود سریع‌تر از حالت سندباکس خارج می‌شود.

@Hamed Saber:
Thanks a bunch Hamed.

@Everyone:
Did you know Hamed is going to become father?
www.flickr.com/photos/hamed/2282360160/

view photos

яico says:

it work so fine in The United Arab Emirates. The Block problem is solved

view photos

thomas canhao xu says:

Adding:
/^([^\.]*\.?)farm4.static.flickr.com$/i,
in line 43, and:
'farm4.static.flickr.yahoo3.akadns.net',
in line 54 of this file:
~/.mozilla/firefox/1234wxyz.default/extensions/flickr@saber.ir/content/overlay.js
worked perfectly for me of the new farm4.
(Don't forget restarting ff)

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@xucanhao: let's correct your address to:

[FIREFOX HOME]/[XXX].[PROFILE]/extensions/flickr@saber.ir/content/overlay.js

In Windows, the Firefox home dir for your user is located at:
%AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

And you can see the Unix/Linux version above.

But it's strongly recommended not to edit the file your self, because it simply turns off and future auto-update

view photos

NowJustNic says:

Sorry, maybe I'm not doing the right thing... I'm following your link above, Hamed, and I'm logged into the Mozilla website, but the most recent version I can see is 1.8 (December 2007). Same as 1Ehsan.

Another note for Flickr users in China: only images from Server Farms 1 and 2 are blocked (for me that's everything before October 5th 2007). So if you are also having trouble with the extension and want to see the latest pictures on Flickr, just use another browser (Internet Explorer for example) and you can see all the pictures on Farms 3 and 4 (but not 1 and 2!).

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@1980Nic: As V A H I D A K described, you should first creat an account (if you don't have any). then log into Mozilla site (from the link I gave you), and then click on sandbox link (just in left side of search field) to be able to view sandbox versions of extension.

view photos

Tђβℓ-ωŕdэϊ [[Bored]]=*( says:

hi i did log in and their is no 1.9=S

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

Click on S A N D B O X link!

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

Since it seems many of my friends have problems how to download the new version, I write you a step by step instruction:

1. Go to addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/users/register and register for a new account.
If you have an account in Mozilla, ignore this step.

2. Confirm your registration by opening your mailbox, and clicking the activation link sent to you from Mozilla.
If you have an account in Mozilla, ignore this step.

3. Log in to site.

4. Click "My Account" link just at right side of search button, or simply click here: addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/users/edit
If you have enabled viewing sandbox, ignore this step

5. Enable the "Show sandbox?" check-box, and press the "save" button.
If you have enabled viewing sandbox, ignore this step

6. Click this link:
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/versions/4286/sta...
If unsuccessful, find the "sandbox" link just at left side of the search field and click on it, then try this link again.

7. Press the red button "Show License Agreement"

8. Read the agreement for version 1.9, and if you accept, press the green "Accept and Install" button

9. Follow the installing extension, as a normal extension!

view photos

1Ehsan says:

Thank you so much Hamed ...
This instruction was so useful ...

view photos

Tђβℓ-ωŕdэϊ [[Bored]]=*( says:

Thanks got it (A)

view photos

xiaming says:

Hi Hamed and Access Flickr! users,

I use the plugin on Vista in Ch1na. From today I have noticed that some images are not visible in thumbnail or full image, while others are. On uploading a batch of photos, some result in visible images, others do not.

However, those images which are not visible to me, seem to be visible to non-Ch1na users, because they all have viewcounts.

I've been deleting the uploads not visible to me and re-uploading, and have sometimes been successful, sometimes not.

I guess Flickr has changed server schemes, or Ch1na is bl0cking differently from today?

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

@xiaming: It would be great if you read at least 5 recent posts of the discussion before sending new messages.

view photos

C l a s s e y a h ™ ~ ♥ says:

hi

>>>> When I want to open a photo, the pop up box comes up over the photo but is blank.
C l a s s e y a h ™ ~ ♥ edited this topic 75 months ago.

view photos

xiaming says:

@Hamed

Very sorry for not reading enough of the thread. I've followed your instructions and have successfully installed your 1.9 sandbox version. Warm regards and thanks from Beijing. Xiaming.

view photos

biggei says:

@Hamed: thanks a lot for the add-on and the (re)installation walk through. Really much appreciated

view photos

NowJustNic says:

Yep, works for me now too! Thanks a lot for the help Hamed!

view photos

Hamed Saber says:

You all are welcome :)

view photos

-UnSeEn says:

Heya Hamed

i followed all the things you said but still i can't see some of my contact's photos . . . you'll find the print scrn on my page

i also tried to install the access flickr 1.9 but i couldn't find it

the latest version is 1.8 . . .

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

← prev 1 2
(1 to 100 of 184 replies in Access Flickr! (Firefox Extension))
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads