Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 2 days ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 4 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 14 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 20 months ago

Current Discussion

What Happened To My Flickr Page ?
Latest: 35 minutes ago
[Investigating] Unable to open Faves by others of my pics.
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Investigating] Notifications
Latest: 10 hours ago
Bad Gatway 502
Latest: 14 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Pictures from account I dont follow in my Feed
Latest: 14 hours ago
This happens only in Flickr. If I'm in a Folder making comments, when I hit the back key it brings me back to my photo stream.
Latest: 15 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent Activity & Notifications - Very slow loading!
Latest: 15 hours ago
Email Notifications not working
Latest: 22 hours ago
add a link to all photos
Latest: 34 hours ago
Not good !
Topics you've posted in (Help Forum)
Views again!
More...

Search the Help Forum

Can't see any images (China June 7th 12.30pm) 中国-看不见图片

NowJustNic says:

All photos and buddy icons are little red crosses. Anyone else?

----------

Update from Flickr staff (10:00 PDT, June 7th) : It seems that access to our image servers is being blocked for users in much of China. Our technical staff has looked into this at depth and determined this is not a technical issue from our end. We will keep an eye on the situation and update if we get any developments.

Update from Flickr staff [2] (01:00 PDT, June 8th) : We are checking periodically to see if the block is still in place, but haven't detected any change. We hope that this is a temporary issue and we currently believe that it will be. In the meantime, we are investigating our alternatives. Thank's for your patience.

Update from Flickr staff [3](11 June 23:30 PDT): We know images from Flickr are still blocked and definitely care very much about our friends who cannot access pictures. We have been contacting people to hopefully get a positive resolution with restoration of photos, but this of course has not happened yet. The Flickr team is very sorry for this continued issue and will update you when we have more to share.
Posted at 9:37PM, 6 June 2007 PST ( permalink )
Kevin (staff) edited this topic ages ago.

(101 to 200 of 588 replies in Can't see any images (China June 7th 12.30pm) 中国-看不见图片)
view photos

Canopus Archives says:

@AxeR.W

If the hypothesis is correct I would say it's the other way around. The Chinese Government should come to its senses before it damages its reputation even further. The images aren't really even extreme, they just show photos of a candle lit vigil in Hong Kong on 4 July to commemorate the massacre which, quote Wikipedia which you can't view in China:

"...he resulting military crackdown on the protesters by the PRC government left many civilians dead or injured. The toll ranges from 200–300 (PRC government figures), to 400–800 by The New York Times, and to 2,000–3,000 (Chinese student associations and Chinese Red Cross)."
Posted ages ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Jane Yaya says:

Just hold on any discussion related to Chinese Politics, OK?

Flickr.com is just a site for everyone all around the world to share his/her beautiful or meaningful pic. with the others....

So, Why don't just put anything to be simple here?

I need this problem to be solved quickly!!!!!

I want to see my friend's pic soon........

view photos

Albertuscn says:

Well if we're still talking politics here, maybe we'll soon visit this site by tor...
Yes things are really simple. Flickr delete some pics, Gov say we did nothing. We can use Flickr as before.
Something stupid.

view photos

Will Goring says:

@ Johnmperry

I think this one's a bit more serious than the usual. Quote below:

"Hundreds of students have rioted against the police in central China.

Witnesses said the unrest, in the city of Zhengzhou in Henan province, was sparked on Wednesday after a student was beaten by police.

She had been selling items on the street, apparently without a licence. There was an argument and reports say officials broke her front teeth.

At this point other students began to gather round and witnesses say hundreds clashed with police and burned cars.

The police called in reinforcements.

Roads were blocked into the night. On Thursday morning, the city was reported to be quiet.

Six police officers have now been arrested for their part in the disturbances and their superiors have also been reprimanded.

This kind of large protest makes the Chinese Communist Party very uneasy. It is deeply wary of social unrest.

But the central government also wants to show that it is prepared to take action against heavy-handed local authorities. "

view photos

Monan。 says:

去找个"无界浏览"的小软件 就能看到了...............................................................................哎 麻烦!

view photos

NowJustNic says:

Well judging by the turn this thread is taking, if the government DID purposely block Flickr's images (which at this point is still speculation) it seems to be backfiring a little... :-)

view photos

Canopus Archives says:

It is probably not just images from Flickr. Can anyone in China see relevant images on this site?
64memo.com/

view photos

Monan。 says:

对不起, 那个软件好象有病毒 大家不要用了..........

view photos

NowJustNic says:

Canopus, I can't even access that website.

view photos

[BLT]FQX says:

I guess it is just someone uploaded about 4th June or Xiamen PX that triggers the GFW.
我认为是因为有人上传六四或厦门PX事件照片而导致屏蔽。

I don't blame those who uploaded these photos, they didn't mean to harm. Also, asking them to delete those photos is not according to flickr's terms.
我也不责怪上传这些图片的人,他们并没有恶意。同时,删除他们的照片也不符合Flickr的条例。

GFW and other things is an open secret, don't be so foolish to keep talking about. It will do us no good.
GFW和其他的事件都已经是公开的秘密,请不要继续讨论。这对恢复Flickr没有任何好处。

We can just wait and see the results.
我们只能静观其变。

I am still a little curious about the flickr main site, even with those sensitive words, it is not blocked.
我倒是比较好奇,Flickr主站即使包含这么多敏感词,仍然可以访问。

I guess flickr.com is on the white list of GFW, if there is.
我想可能flickr.com可能在GFW的白名单中(如果真的有白名单的话)。

There isn't.
好像并没有白名单。

Wish flickr back soon.
希望Flickr能够尽快恢复。
[BLT]FQX edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Jason.IT says:

I can see everything in Sydney.
This only happened in China

So, ... It's can't be Flickr's problem. Must be The China Great Fire Wall !!!

view photos

aj_young says:

Yes, Flickr is now blocked by GFW.
恐惧凝成的墙,GCD...

It shall be a very succesful Public Relation Action when Flickr grant a one year free Pro Account extension for the Pro Users within the Wall.
如果Flickr给所有墙内的Pro付费用户延展Pro帐号有效期,应该是很好的危机公关案例。

view photos

Reelene says:

I'm here in Beijing, China.. I could not see any pix here ........

I dunno why , maybe as everyone said the reason of Xia Men or 4th,June Tian Anmen etc.....I 'm just so disappointed : (

在flickr上有很多自己以前拍的照片, 现在看不到了, 觉得真是很伤心和失望.....不过这就是中国特色吧....哎

view photos

[BLT]FQX says:

An alternative way to see photos on flickr.
一个访问Flickr图片的替代方法。

Change farm1.static.flickr.com to 68.142.232.116, and farm2.static.flickr.com to 69.147.90.156, which is in the URL.
替换URL里的 farm1.static.flickr.com为68.142.232.116,farm2.static.flickr.com为69.147.90.156。

来自:半亩塘闲话

view photos

David Giral | davidgiralphoto.com says:

well, seems that flickr and this thread too might be blocked by the GFW... (my brother in Shangai told me that)

update: well, it seems to be working again (but no images)

view photos

Wooble says:

It shall be a very succesful Public Relation Action when Flickr grant a one year free Pro Account extension for the Pro Users within the Wall.

Can those of us who threw out the oppressive regimes in our countries hundreds of years ago get a bonus, too?

view photos

teh resa says:

well even if this thread is blocked I think staff could still update it insofar as they know what is happening. Some of them might be able to read it or their friends can email them what the answer is.

view photos

catherine buca says:

If it is a Yahoo! dictat on behalf of the Chinese Government I would imagine a rather swift memo went out to the Flickr offices this morning meaning they will be formulating their replies to you very carefully now.

If, of course.

view photos

James Weng says:

希望早点恢复吧。用代理服务器也不是长久之计。
Hope be back early.

view photos

James Weng says:

阿弥陀佛

view photos

tacit quarter says:

I dunno if the guys from the flickr staff will support me but in the meanwhile I recommend All Linux and others unix based users in China to edit your /etc/hosts file and add the 3 following lines:

68.142.232.116 farm1.static.flickr.com
69.147.90.156 farm2.static.flickr.com
68.142.214.24 www.flickr.com www.flickr.vip.mud.yahoo.com

Then, restart your browser.
I think that could work.
Please let us know.

greetings from Chile.
tacit quarter edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Andreas Helke says:

The same hosts file hack works on Windows XP too. There the hosts file is Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. What you put in the hosts file will be used instead of a name server lookup.

view photos

[BLT]FQX says:

To . patricio
For windows users, they can change the file in Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Mac users can also change the hosts file, but I forget where it is.

view photos

tacit quarter says:

As Andreas Helke and [BLT]FQX pointed Windows users can edit too the HOST file commonly located on:
Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

and add:
68.142.232.116 farm1.static.flickr.com
69.147.90.156 farm2.static.flickr.com
68.142.214.24 www.flickr.com www.flickr.vip.mud.yahoo.com

view photos

matt says:

Can those of us who threw out the oppressive regimes in our countries hundreds of years ago get a bonus, too?

Yes. Anyone who participated in the Revolutionary War can have a lifetime free account.

(OSX hosts file resides at /etc/hosts)

view photos

Canopus Archives says:

@catherine buca

Those were my thoughts too. It is quite possible that staff won't make an announcement other than what was said at the beginning of this Topic and they have left the public investigation to what's happening to members and there are quite a few members savvy enough to do so. Looks like they have also drawn a line against locking this if it is kept civil. Hasn't it seemed strange to anyone that no staff has looked in to even say they are working on it since the first few responses from them?

Hope the Host File trick works.

view photos

Jim Skea says:

@Canopus: perhaps they're busy trying to trace where the problem is and fix it, if possible?

For comparison, when much of Brazil had problems accessing Flickr last year, noone went around accusing our government of censorship. That took weeks to sort out, by the way. We were never told where the problem was, though evidence pointed to a misconfigured router at Embratel.

view photos

[BLT]FQX says:

@Matt

You are so cute.
Is the Matt at WordPress you?
I guess not.

view photos

Canopus Archives says:

@Jim Skea

We can but wish. Meanwhile did you read one announcement by Staff near the beginning of this Topic?
www.flickr.com/help/forum/41998/#reply222499
It certainly doesn't look like a technical problem of a misconfigured router.

view photos

Jim Skea says:

@Canopus: yes, I did read it. With "sounds like" and "seems to be", the comment is hardly a definitive statement. And on the greatfirewallofchina's site they do say "This version 1.0 may report sites as being 'blocked' while there are only technical reasons for their unavailability'.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not overly optimistic myself about the situation, but it seems a bit early in the day to cry "censorship" when there are other possibilities. And if it is just a technical glitch then crying "censorship" is only going to annoy people in the wrong places.

Edit: by the way, I just used greatfirewallofchina to test our university's site and, according to them, it's "blocked" too!

view photos

teh resa says:

Jim: the original post (thread topic) was updated by staff a few hours ago and says "Our technical staff has looked into this at depth and determined this is not a technical issue from our end"

view photos

teh resa says:

That was three hours ago, a short two hours after the work day begins on the west coast, but it looks quite certain.

view photos

cobalt123 says:

FYI: I have loaded, deleted and reloaded images 4 times in flickr in the last half hour. I also tried both Firefox AND IE, so perhaps this is not just an issue with members from China....

view photos

Canopus Archives says:

@cobalt123

I'm not quite sure what that has to do with it. Can you give a little more information. Can you actually see the images you are doing that to or any other images on Flickr?

view photos

Jim Skea says:

@Ther - esa: when we had access problems in Brazil (and simultaneously in parts of Argentina, Chile...) Yahoo! were quick to come back with the statement that it wasn't a technical problem *at their end* too. They were right - all evidence that I was able to unite suggested that the problem was with an intermediate router.

view photos

The Searcher says:

I think a difference is, Brazil isn't commonly known as a country that restricts access to the internet and suppresses political dissent. So the conclusion may have been jumped to. but only out of bitter experience.

view photos

teh resa says:

ah, intermediate router...

view photos

cobalt123 says:

In reply, I wonder if flickr is experiencing some disruptions either due to the possible blocking in that connection network for China, or perhaps with internal configurations going on. Since I had tried repeatedly for uploading photos, and also tried 2 browsers, and also taken care of any potential personal issues on my system and the routing, I looked for a thread topic about problems uploading photos. Seeing none, I saw this thread and decided to place my post here. I wonder if there are other uploading issues going on with flickr members now, and not just from China.

And yes, I have a problem with seeing images across the board. There is a great problem right now with the time it takes for flickr's site to download all images to complete the page view. Typically I am seeing stalls as "43 more images" to "download".

view photos

etherflyer says:

When I was in China two years ago, I couldn't reach my Sympatico web mail, because the Microsoft server software Bell had switched to wasn't compatible with a firewall. (Well, it was compatible in the sense that if you reconfigured the firewall to behave like a Microsoft firewall you were OK, but that wasn't an option for me.) I'm glad I had a Gmail account.

Earlier this year, on of my friends in China couldn't access her Lycos webmail account from China, because an American intermediate ISP had blacklisted a whole swath of Chinese IP addresses (including her Chinese provider's) and was just discarding the packets.

It could be censorship, but it could be technical too. I'm going to wait and see…

view photos

Canopus Archives says:

@cobalt123

I don't think your issue has anything to do with the China issue and there doesn't seem to be anyone reporting similar issues from USA as you in the Forum over the last day. It may be best to open a separate topic as you are more likely to get help that way. It's possible that if you do that you may even attract members from your area with similar issues and you may find out what is common.

view photos

cobalt123 says:

Thanks Canopus - I just successfully upload the same two images, yet I still see "31 items remaining", so there is some definite slowness going on, whatever the reason. One thing interesting is that I can quickly get to a text page like this Forum, however if the flickr page included photos, I am not seeing the images in a long long time.

view photos

Canopus Archives says:

@cobalt123

I used to get that from time to time some time ago and I'm certain that with me being in the UK it was nothing to do with China. There can be a tendency to lump many effects to the same cause, but, that wagging tail of a dog sticking out from one end of a wall it unlikely to be anything to do with that head of a dog poking around the other end of the wall thirty feet away no matter how ones brain wants to connect them :-)

view photos

Azchael says:

Hi,

Just a brief note rgd. the website "Great Firewall of China": I do not believe the results displayed on that page. With a friend of mine I host a website about Chinese rock music with a server in Germany. According to the GFC page it should be blocked. According to dozends of Chinese users, it's not. So I do not trust the page in it's accuracy. Which makes the situation for Chinese Flickr users not better. I hope it is just a technical issue or a filter automatism that plunged into existence due to some bad photos and which is deactivated soon...

Azchael

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin says:

cobalt123- this is not the same as what's going on with the members in China. I can see some pretty significant traffic loss on the route between you and Flickr on 3 different hosts with your ISP which may be what the problem is.

Azchael, here is another to test with. Note when you test one of our static image servers (farm1.static.flickr.com and farm2.static.flickr.com) with Hong Kong, it works- when you choose the other locations, you get 'Empty reply from server'. You can choose a generic www.flickr.com URL and it works for any of them, but those two specific servers do not.

view photos

paigelynn says:

: You aren't alone. I haven't been able to see half the images all day today. Some will load, some won't. Some only the icons show up, some only show the actual pictures and the icons for them won't show up. Mine don't ever load. They just try and try. Some people's user pictures are broken.

I'm definitely not in China. I'm in Montana, so... ;)

view photos

Jim Skea says:

@Kevin: well that second site seems more reliable - at least it shows that our Uni isn't blocked in HK, Beijing and Shanghai.

Again, when we had a similar problem in Brazil, most flickr addresses worked fine - we were able to post traceroutes in the help forum. But the routing to the Flickr photo servers were, for some strange reason, not working.

view photos

Monan。 says:

Sigh, if I don't use proxy server, I can't even get access to this particular topic in the forum....

view photos

cobalt123 says:

Thanks for checking, Kevin! I never meant to give the impression that the problem I am seeing has to do with the problems of the images seen/not seen from China. I was just looking for any threads about problems seeing images and I saw this one about China. I know it has nothing to do with the problem the majority of members are posting here: it is just a side issue that has been happening coincidentally. Next time I will post into a new thread rather than have people think I was saying it was the same problem.

Still a problem here to load pages from flickr completely, so per Kevin's information, I will contact my ISP tomorrow during business hours if it is still happening.

I am so very sorry that there are blocks to our members from China, but I must say I am very surprised that all along there was open service. Considering that there are such controls in general from/for China. I have not seen such a lot of members complain about access since the great problems a while back with Kuwait, Dubai, and UAE issues.

view photos

cautious spark says:

狗日的共匪,,近千张的图片就这样被那群吃人饭不做人事的共匪给和谐了。。。。。

view photos

Chas Pope 朴才思 says:

As with nascent341's post, this page no longer seems to be accessible from China - if users visit this page, it seems their access to the Flickr site is then completely blocked for a few minutes. I've heard of similar problems in the past when people have googled words - say three words - beginning with the letter T.

All of which makes me think technical problems are less and less likely to be behind this.

view photos

dbthayer says:

@matrix:

lol, might as well give the "authorities" something good to block.

edited to remove disparaging phrase commonly used on Taiwan
dbthayer edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

deRud says:

I hope we as flickr user and GFW victims ara able to vote here whether the taboo should be eliminated or remains as is. What's clear is that if there is no diplomatic and political approach from flickr but just"keep an eye on the situation" and keep everything technical and logical, all the users in China mainland dormain will have to suffer and there is no suggestion of an imminent end. So the point here is whether flickr still cherish the outreach to the whole China community or value more the political boycott embodied by pockets of pix. Please begin to talk with China authorities and have this unfortune fixed asap, as yahoo, google and msn have done. Thank you.

view photos

The Searcher says:

I would sincerely hope that, if even such a conversation with China authorities were possible, that it would not lead to Flickr removing politically offending images in some sort of blackmail/censorship deal. Not only would that not bode well for all of those who feared that Yahoo's influence would negatively taint Flickr.

But it would also just be wrong. Sometimes the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many.

Some ambassador said that once.

view photos

deRud says:

As an alternative, I would say it is safe and up to us to persuade the politically offending picture uploaders to remove them by themselves voluntarily for the sake of the whole community otherwise the sacrifice and stake is too high for us to make and for flickr to bear. Compromise ought to be achieved. The flickr block issue is the hot topic these days in major cities in China, a far outcry and major focus among the young than anyone of you not in China could ever imagine. So please do something.

view photos

Wooble says:

I'd prefer to persuade them to upload even more of these "politically offending" pictures for the sake of the freedom of the community as a whole. Change doesn't come about by pretending problems don't exist.

view photos

teh resa says:

you can still upload them? In that case you should still upload them so that others outside china can see them.

view photos

Fred Crane says:

i am also against self-censorship. we shall overcome.

view photos

[BLT]FQX says:

@cobalt123

Did you hear the story about frogs in the hot water?
Some of us have got used to it, and even begin to self-censer, like deRud. I bet it is the final goal of our government to achieve, we just don't know we can have freedom.

@wooble

I think you are right. I'd rather have truth than flickr.

view photos

etherflyer says:

Ah, very good idea. Uploading pictures to Flickr and depriving my Chinese friends (and me, when I return next month) of access is really going to make a difference!

(That was sarcasm, BTW.)

More to the point, will Flickr be extending or refunding the subscriptions of those who are being blocked?

view photos

perldude says:

fyi: I'm located in Germany and I'm having problems too.
My own photos and Buddy/Group icons are shown. Photos on
my friends pages not.

view photos

Phil~ says:

I'm in Canada and I was informed by a friend in Shanghai that Flickr access was being blocked in China because someone has posted photos that didn't make the government very happy... dunno if its true or not... but I hope the service will be back to normal again!

view photos

raemin says:

I can hardly open up this thread too. By chance this is the first time from last night. I just want to w/o flickr, life definitely lost colors and fun. This website has already become a part of my daily life. Dont censor it pls.

求求上帝,不要封FLICKR!

view photos

vigorous base says:

I'm in New Mexico, USA and am seeing only a few photos at this time. Mostly blue boxes where the photos belong. Most of the blue boxes are the right size but a few are just tiny.

view photos

[BLT]FQX says:

To those people who live outside of China, search "xiamen" and "PX", you will know what has happened and why flickr was blocked.
flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=xiamen+px&m=text

view photos

randomix says:

Changing Host file doesn't work.

view photos

The Searcher says:

I read about the xiamen and PX march before this happened. All of the stories mentioned the power of phone text messaging, and the internet (Flickr specifically mentioned in all stories) for getting images of the scene out to people.

Then this hit the fan and I wondered if it were connected. If so. yikes.

deRud: "I would say it is safe and up to us to persuade the politically offending picture uploaders to remove them by themselves voluntarily for the sake of the whole community otherwise the sacrifice and stake is too high for us to make and for flickr to bear"

In Communist-occupied Eastern Europe in the 50s, they referred to such community self-policing as swallowing the "Murti Bing Pill".

It was unhealthy then, it's unhealthy now.
The Searcher edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

tacit quarter says:

@randomix
I thought it could help... it seems the blockade is not just based in a nameserver lookup.

= (

view photos

dbthayer says:

guess they're also blocking youtube too, then

environment protect xiamen PX China
youtube.com/watch?v=xSjNK1Q4iiA

for those of us who've not been following, PX is apparently the chemical xylene...

view photos

༺lifemage༻ says:

"Update from Flickr staff (10:00 PDT, June 7th) : It seems that access to our image servers is being blocked for users in much of China. Our technical staff has looked into this at depth and determined this is not a technical issue from our end. We will keep an eye on the situation and update if we get any developments."

Not good enough guys! not by a long shot.

Give us something, ANY info, and perferably not in this thread, as the vast majority of Flickr members in China have no access to it. They in all likelyhood have no idea what's happening (not that we do either really).

view photos

dbthayer says:

Not good enough guys! by a long shot.

just curious, what are you hoping for flickr to do about this?
this is the handiwork of the "authorities" on mainland China, let's put the blame where it belongs.

[edited to remove disparaging phrase commonly used on Taiwan]
dbthayer edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

[BLT]FQX says:

@The Searcher

In Chinese, there is a proverb called 饮鸩止渴, which means that drink poison in order to prevent thirsty.

view photos

༺lifemage༻ says:

I'm not blaming flickr for the images not being accessible to us...

but for flickr to be all but silent about this and "keep an eye on the situation ...IF we get any developments" in a thread that is blocked to all members in China anyways, is ignoring EVERYONE that is affected by this.

Make an announcement! Paying flickr users have no access. At least tell them something, and it should be better than, "we'll keep an eye on it".

If you are providing a service to a customer and they don't receive your service, is it not your responsibility to determine why they are not receiving it? Even if it's the result of a third party???

view photos

willygoldman says:

I've looked at the Xiamen photos, saw the demonstrations, but what IS "PX"? What are they demonstrating against?

view photos

dbthayer says:

PX is xylene--apparently demonstrating against a chemical plant that produces it.

view photos

The Searcher says:

It was a chemical plant (PX is xylene, or like benzene, a solvent that is bad bad icky if leeched into the ground or water or air) that was going to be built in the community. Considering China's lack of regulation on such things, it would have likely been very destructive.

which, to follow that proverb up there, I guess would work as the poison to drink to stave off thirst.

view photos

dbthayer says:

"On November 17th, 2006 construction was simultaneously started on an 800 000 t/a PX (para-xylene) project and a 1.5 million t/a PTA (purified terephthalic acid) project in Haicang South Industry Zone, Fujian province of southern China. Covering an area of 114.74 hectares and 14.8 hectares, the two projects won the approval of the National Development Reform Commission (NDRC) respectively in July and October 2006."

view photos

Jim Skea says:

News on the apparent blocking of Flickr (and bullog.cn) has appeared in China Digital News.

view photos

deRud says:

Well I do not want to go political, even if I am political. I just wish flickr is accessible to Chinese like it used to be. Some of you guys are suggesting we topple the regime. Then why don't you guys come and liberate China just like you liberated Iraq from Hussein or Afghanistan from Taliban? Gosh how I missed the old days when we are just talking about photography.
I believe in flickr begining to talk with China authorities to work on a solution. It is better than keeping watching and making us sitting ducks here.

view photos

Kevin.Koo says:

it's GWF......

view photos

Mockney Rebel says:

Ironic that some of the people here bemoaning the repressive regime in china are doing so using computers made in chinese sweat-shops, built with components made in chinese factories that polute and poison the environment....and that includes the Apple iBook i'm typing this on.

view photos

Reelene says:

hmm, i'm using Torpark in firefox to browse flickr, but i really wait a long time to see the pix...geez......

sigh.......

view photos

༺lifemage༻ says:

"Ironic that some of the people here bemoaning the repressive regime in china are doing so using computers made in chinese sweat-shops, built with components made in chinese factories that polute and poison the environment....and that includes the Apple iBook i'm typing this on."

^ yes, so true Mockney Rebel....and as always,
it's the people of the developing nations
that pay the price.

The 'XM' plant in China would be the largest producer of xylene in the world.
FOR WHO? Oh...that's right! YOU.
༺lifemage༻ edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

༺lifemage༻ says:

anyways...it's been 29 hours and we're still waiting for flickr to respond.

please don't forget about us, in all of this!!!

view photos

dbthayer says:

The 'XM' plant in China would be the largest producer of xylene in the world. FOR WHO? Oh...that's right! YOU.

perhaps, but xylene is also a high-volume chemical in the U.S.--"production exceeding 1 million pounds annually in the U.S."

www.scorecard.org/chemical-profiles/uses.tcl?edf_substanc...

view photos

BG1OMD says:

Still cannot access the photo from Shanghai, However, the corporate VPN tunnel helps me to view all the photos, We have no interest in politics, please un-block Flickr!!!!!

view photos

༺lifemage༻ says:

"perhaps, but xylene is also a high-volume chemical in the U.S.--"production exceeding 1 million pounds annually in the U.S."

"The plan for the investor Xianglu Chemical Fibers is to have full production of 800,000 tons of PX at the end of 2008."

www.zonaeuropa.com/20070601_1.htm

and that's from a single plant :-(

view photos

༺lifemage༻ says:

The point is the same, we can not seperate ourselves from the cause, or the effect, of a situation like this. It is (globally) OUR problem...

view photos

Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

Mockney Rebel, I design computer equipment and very rarely use a Chinese part. Off-hand, I can only think of LEDs. I kinow power supplies and fans are made in quantity, but we require higher quality (those are the two weakest points in a computer). Most components come from sweatshops in other countries. We only set up factories in China to build our stuff, because it is a requirement to do so, if we want to sell our product there. We had production lines also in Korea, Thailand, Brazil, Taiwan and a few other places.

Now if you go shopping at Kmart or Walmart you will find a large majority of the stuff IS from China.

lifemage, how did a developing country's internal environmental regulations become my fault? Are all the screwed up policies of every developing nation somehow now my fault?

It seems obvious that the Chinese government is making a statement. It is casually putting one of its stiletto heels on a toe of Yahoo to make a point.

Just be glad there is not an influential Chinese company doing photo sharing' Flickr would be continually blocked.

view photos

dbthayer says:

and that's from a single plant :-(

good reason for the protests; correctly addressed to the Chinese gov't.
meanwhile, over here we'll continue to deal with our own xylene chemical spills and pollution.

view photos

dbthayer says:

Just be glad there is not an influential Chinese company doing photo sharing' Flickr would be continually blocked.

what about 巴巴变? not influential enough or just not good?

view photos

Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

Is that QQ?

Nevermind, it's Bababin

I got it mixed up with Alibaba
Happy Tinfoil Cat edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

dbthayer says:

bababian.com/

view photos

Happy Tinfoil Cat says:

You're too quick.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Stewart says:

Friends - let's try to stick to the Flickr help related core issue here (there are plenty of other places to discuss politics or, presumably, xylene :)

Unfortuantely, the firewall's administrators don't provide contact details, so we can't just call up someone who makes decisions about which sites are blocked and plead our cases. All we can do at this point is continue to monitor, seek advice from colleagues closer to the region and/ore with more experience.

We definitely haven't forgotten about you, but there is not much for us to announce publicly at this point. As soon as anything changes, will let you know. And we're all rooting for you!

view photos

༺lifemage༻ says:

"lifemage, how did a developing country's internal environmental regulations become my fault? Are all the screwed up policies of every developing nation somehow now my fault?"

first, I didn't say it was your fault. I said we are part of the problem. Why? Because we buy the stuff made from it.

"Chemical: XYLENE (MIXED ISOMERS)
CAS Number: 1330-20-7

What Kinds of Consumer Products May Contain This Chemical?

* Aerosol paint concentrates
* Agricultural chemicals
* Architectural coatings
* Auto, other transportation, and machinery refinish paints incl primers
* Automobile body polish and cleaners
* Caulks, modified and unmodified oil base
* Cooling tower compounds
* Epoxy adhesives
* Floor polish
* Fungicides for agric., garden and health service use
* General performance sealants (PVAC, butyl, vinyl, etc.)
* Ground/traffic marking coatings
* Herbicides for agric., garden and health service use
* Household hard surface cleaners (aerosol)
* Household hard surface cleaners (liquid)
* Household pesticides
* Industrial interior coatings
* Industrial particleboard (furniture, fixtures, cabinets, etc.)
* Insecticides for agric., garden and health service use
* Insecticides for crawling insects
* Insecticides for flying insects
* Lubricating oils
* Markers, fine point and broad tipped
* Misc. use aromatics
* Miscellaneous agricultural/pesticidal products
* Miscellaneous paint-related products
* Nonstructural caulking compounds and sealants
* Other art materials incl clay, water & tempera colors, finger paint, etc.
* Other automotive chemicals
* Other laundry aids, icluding ironing aids and dry cleaning spotting pre
* Other miscellaneous allied paint products, including brush cleaners
* Other nonhousehold pesticides
* Other polishing preparations and related products
* Other specialty cleaning and sanitation products
* Paint and varnish removers
* Paint thinners
* Paints and allied products
* Pet flea and tick products, including collars
* Preformed tapes (butyl, polybutene, polyisobutylene, etc.)
* Rodenticides
* Rubber and synthetic resin combinations
* Shoe polishes and cleaners
* Solvent thinned exterior stains incl shingle and shake
* Solvent thinned exterior undercoaters and primers
* Solvent thinned interior clear finishes
* Solvent thinned interior stains
* Solvent thinned interior undercoaters and primers
* Specialty performance sealants
* Synthetic resin and rubber adhesives
* Textile finishes
* Thick line coloring pens and markers
* Waterproofing compounds
* Wood office work surfaces (modular systems)"

view photos

༺lifemage༻ says:

Thank you Steward!!! great to hear that!

view photos

༺lifemage༻ says:

One thing though....this thread is blocked here and most flickr members within China have no way to access it. Is there some way to inform them of what is happening. Posting a new thread with the updated announcement, locking it...so we don't ramble on and get it blocked as well, maybe?

view photos

༺lifemage༻ says:

The guy that originally posted this topic, 1980Nic, just asked me to send him a copy of this thread because he can't access it. I think it's important to let these people know...even if it's just that...flickr doesn't know...but is aware of the situation and seeking solutions.

Maybe the Flickr blog?

[edited for clarity]
༺lifemage༻ edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

yangshuang says:

my photos aaaa!

view photos

deRud says:

Hi Mr Staff, let's go technical, try this

http://www.cnnic.net.cn/en/index/index.htm

service@cnnic.cn
supervise@cnnic.cn

+86-10-58813000
+86-10-58812666 FAX

hope you can see this.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

(101 to 200 of 588 replies in Can't see any images (China June 7th 12.30pm) 中国-看不见图片)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads