Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 2 days ago
[No Action Required] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 3 days ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 6 months ago

 

Current Discussion

Setting flickr albums as screensaver and presentation
Latest: 12 minutes ago
Problems with Lightroom Upload Plugin in Mac OS Big Sur
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Investigating] Issues with Slow Commenting
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Resolved] Return of the Bad Panda.
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Staff Response] No Paypal (not a new subscriber)
Latest: 4 hours ago
[Investigating] Bug in the emails from Flickr HQ since November 11
Latest: 4 hours ago
[Resolved] 'Uploading Failed' All Day
Latest: 9 hours ago
[Resolved] Uploading from Lightroom - lots of different error messages
Latest: 9 hours ago
iphone 12 video overexposed on Flickr
Latest: 10 hours ago
Restoring old photos.
Latest: 10 hours ago
Subscription changed to Free account after making annual payment
Latest: 11 hours ago
Bug Safari Blank screen
Latest: 11 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

You searched for lightroom.

Umlauts get Lost in Captions & Tags

cgommel says:

Hi,

recently i switched over from the PC based Workflow:
Lightroom Beta4 (Win)-> Flickr Uploadr (Win) -> flickr

to my Intel MacBook:
Lightroom Beta4(Mac) -> Uploadr or 1001 (Mac) -> flickr

and i noticed some problems with Umlauts (Ä,Ö,Ü) which make our german language look so funny.

It seems that the umlauts from the embedded IPTC tags in my JPEGs get swallowed when using the Mac based workflow.
Knowing that non-latin letters are no good idea in tags it is anoying that this problem persists in Captions or descriptions of Photos.

I am quite sure that it worked with my windows tools before. Looks like a character set problem. Strange? Because i thought we live in a unicode world now. Also the Umlauts are, unlike chinese or hebrew letters, part of most character sets.

Second Problem: The IPTC captions are swallowed by the uploaders. I dont know this behaviour from the PC tools either. Is this a bug or intentionally done?

Any ideas?


cgommel
Posted at 6:02AM, 11 December 2006 PST ( permalink )

view photos

Mr. Last Minute says:

Do you have an example? It might be that your IPTC fields are encoded in Mac-Roman, which is not a standard character set supported by IPTC.
Posted ages ago. ( permalink )

view photos

cgommel says:

Just download the original size Version of this... The tags were corrected inside flickr after uploading:
Do you want to accept cookies from cgommel?
Posted ages ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Mr. Last Minute says:

As I expected ... the ä is encoded as 0x8A, wich is MacRoman. It should have been either UTF-8 or one of the ISO-8859-x character sets. Furthermore the IPTC block doesn't seem to have a "Coded Character Set" record, which means that anything beyond 7-bit ASCII is completely undefined. So I'm afraid it's in fact a bug in Lightroom, at least in the Mac version.
Posted ages ago. ( permalink )

view photos

cgommel says:

Too bad. But isn't it possible for flickr to detect these incorrect IPTC blocks by some characteristic Information and fix them.

I know that this is not the professional way. But it might be easier to adapt flickr to this misformatted data than make Adobe change their products :-)
Posted ages ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Mr. Last Minute says:

Unfortunately not, I'm afraid. 0x8A could be a MacRoman-encoded "ä", but it could also be an "Š" in windows-1252 encoding, or a Cyrillic "Љ" in windows-1251, or an "è" in the IBM-437 and IBM-850 code pages. It would be possible to guess the encoding if 0x8A was invalid in any other encoding scheme, but obiviously that's not the case. The only thing one can say for sure is that it's not UTF-8 or one of the ISO-8859-x character sets.

The "best guess" in case of an undeclared character encoding scheme would be windows-1252 since that's most commonly used (and Windows software is more likely to have bugs like this than Mac software :-). However, that would turn your MacRoman cookies into "PlŠtzchen".
Posted ages ago. ( permalink )

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads