Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] (UPDATED MAY 21) More information about Flickr's scheduled downtime on May 22
Latest: 21 minutes ago
[FIXING – FIND PHIL!] Anyone else see part of a moving face with a mustache?
Latest: 2 hours ago
Hi SmugMug, my wish list for Flickr
Latest: 7 hours ago
[Official Thread] Scheduled downtime on May 22, plus more updates on speed & stability
Latest: 13 hours ago
[Official Thread] Flickr login freedom is here
Latest: 31 hours ago
[Official Thread] A new way to stay informed about site performance issues.
Latest: 35 hours ago

Current Discussion

Firefox Issues
Latest: 54 seconds ago
why did my yearly fee double . Was $24.99, jumped up to $49.99
Latest: 2 hours ago
What are the alternatives to Flickr?
Latest: 3 hours ago
Apple TV app - is it goting to get fixed?
Flickr joke (in Flickr User contact page)
When I post a photo it is sent to another account with my name??
Latest: 5 hours ago
After the "Improvements" (?)
Latest: 5 hours ago
Photos not showing in album
FLICKR APP on ios
BUG: Cannot mouse-drag Flickr map in Firefox on laptops with touch screen
Latest: 9 hours ago
serious performance issues, timeouts, errors over past several days
Latest: 11 hours ago
Photographer credit on group banner improperly positioned
Latest: 13 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Sort by Date Taken in my PhotoStream rather than the Upload Date

©hris says:

I upload my photos in bulk often from differing time periods and then sort them into sets. I then organise my sets into date taken order. Fine - that works. The big problem is that my recent photos photostream (the one EVERYONE sees) is just a hotch potch of photos in a random order i.e. The order I uploaded them.

Why can't I change the recent photos photostream to be related to the date the photos were taken rather than the totally useless upload date. My friends and family are deeply confused by my flickr page. They tune in to see my son's progress and he appears to get older and young each time they stop by, this is because I am uploading various photos from my archive.

I have seen this request a lot. Each time the staff say it isn't possible or to use sets and then "sort by date taken" within the set. This is not good enough. I see this as a major flaw. How difficult can it be to give people to option of sorting their entire photostream by the date taken RATHER than the date uploaded, if you can do it in a set then why not globally? At least give us the option. Thanks.
Posted at 4:28PM, 6 May 2006 PDT ( permalink )

view photos

kennius says:

I would like that too!
Posted ages ago. ( permalink )

view photos

netchicken says:

Me 3!!!

view photos

netchicken says:

Maybe you can make a master set and then just sort that.

The pıcs could be sent by default to the master set when youn upload them, and that set could open automatıcally on accessıng the account.

view photos

gregmote says:

I would like it if the date uploaded and date taken were reversed. I really don't care when a photo was uploaded, ever. I always care about when the photo was taken. I would love an option to swap them for my account.

view photos

John Grey says:

I agree this would be very useful - i have a lot of old photos I would like to upload - it would be much simpler if I could just set the date taken for these and then not have huge numbers of old pictures displayed to my contacts and cluttering up my photo stream which I hope reflects where my photography is now.

I'll put this on Flickr ideas
John Grey edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Satya W says:

here here.. i agree with the option to sort the photostream by date taken. features in sets are excellent, but this is about photostream, the place my contacts see first.

i'm sure it's not hard at all technically for flickr, so maybe it's not a technical issue. if they have philosophical reasoning, like they want it to be really like blogging, everything follows the publishing date, or something else, i'm open to hear and accept.

view photos

KoenZelf says:

I'm with you on this one

view photos

RaLiss says:

Yes, please PLEASE allow us to sort by date taken!!! Absurd and frustrating!

view photos

Paulvision says:

There was a change in the Software for the Organizer last month. Before it was possible to see the date taken on every foto and it was possible to change that in the Organizer. Now I cannot find a way to see the date taken, I can only change it.
Why it is not possible to see and change the Date taken on the Batch Edit: Titles,Tags and Descriptions ???
Or does anybody know where I can see the Daten taken on my fotos now ??

view photos

Gertrud K. says:

Yes, you can see it on every individual photopage. If you click "change" you can also change it.
Gertrud K. edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Paulvision says:

What do you mean with "every individual photopage" ? Can you discribe how to find this page ??

view photos

Gertrud K. says:

I posted a comment on your last photo to show what I mean.

view photos

~ k j ~ says:

I just emailed the "help" guy about this. I hate that I have no say in what order my photostream pictures are in.

HELP me Flickr friends!

view photos

johnnyb11 says:

Just what I have been trying to do -- very frustrating that there is no option to do this

view photos

MacAnanny Family says:

So is there any solution to this problem? I just finished posting 5000 pix and want them in date taken as well.

view photos

Brock says:

Not at present, no. You can organise your pictures in this way in sets, but not in yor stream.

view photos

jyoungpark says:

this is unacceptable. how is gamma better than beta then? isn't it supposed to be an improvement?

view photos

Brad Phelan says:

This trick seems to work

flickr.com/photos/bradgonesurfing/archives/date-taken/
flickr.com/photos/macanannyfamily/archives/date-taken/

seems to place ALL of your photos in decending date order, ie newest first.

For the details view the URL is

flickr.com/photos/bradgonesurfing/archives/date-taken/det...

view photos

carej says:

I think this is a trick to get people to upgrade to the pro account.

Sorting is supported in sets; by limiting the free account to 3 sets flickr is effectively forcing people to upgrade to the pro account if they want their friends & family to see pictures in some sane order.

view photos

MagIcReBirth says:

It is a feature we definitely need, and it's surprising how the flickr guys are not taking care about it! PLEASE DO THIS HACK!

view photos

trekbody says:

Agree 100% - it should be an option (especially for Pro users) to sort in real date order. Modifying the Date Uploaded is just a lousy workaround. Especially since you cannot batch Change Date Uploaded (this needs to be added too).

Please Flickr - Sort by Photo Date or at least make it an option.

view photos

evilsaywhat says:

If my photostream were able to show by picture date, I'd upload all my old photos. I probably still will at some point, but you know...

view photos

Andrew Curtis says:

I have photos I want to upload but I am concerned about this very problem, it will look funny if they are out of order. Please flickr, implement this it would be great. How about the ability to choose what order people see your photos? Like Date, Uploaded, Most Interesting, etc.

view photos

netchicken says:

any updates on this topic?

Seems the masses are crying out for this feature. Why the silence from the developers?

view photos

MarlieH says:

I'm new to Flickr, and I spent a long time trying to figure this out. I can't believe that such a simple problem can't be fixed. I also have a lot of old pictures I'd like to upload, but not if the photostream date order can't be fixed.

view photos

PSEFrank says:

Sorry if I've come into this thread late. I have not read every line in this thread. So I may be way off the mark here.
For those of you who want to change the order of your photo stream. You can do it! But only one photo at a time.
DO THIS:
Click on the photo you want to move.
Under ADDITIONAL INFORMATION go the Taken On section and click Edit.
Click on Date Posted
Click in the date box
Change the date to what you want
Click outside the calender box to make it go away
Now Click Save

If you had joined Flickr on January 1st 2006. You could take a photo today, upload it today. And then change the upload date to January 1st 2006. And then the pic would be the last one in your photo stream instead of the 1st.

view photos

shalf says:

I think the OP is misguided, as is everyone that goes to the trouble of changing all their upload dates. The purpose of the photo stream is to show your contacts what you've added to Flickr lately.

If you go and muck with that ordering then I can't tell what I've seen in your stream and what I haven't. On the other hand if you leave it alone then on my next visit to your stream I'll either recognize the photo on top or not. If not I can simply move down the stream until I bump into the ones I've seen before.

If you want some order of presentation, do it in a set. That's where you can select just the right photos and put them in just the right order, together with an introductory page. Free members can't do one set per topic, but they can give up one of their three sets to be their "stream in the order I want to present it".

view photos

PSEFrank says:

@shalf - Thats a good point you've made shalf. However, I do think that we should all have a choice.
There could be several reasons why somebody would want to change their photo stream order.
Maybe to just store some old pics, or something like that.

I see that you have joined the Photoshop Elements 4 group. I'll look forward to seeing some of your edited pics on there.
And don't worry if the editing all goes wrong! You can always move those one's to the bottom of your Photo stream!
I'm only kidding shalf. I'm very glad you're there.
PSEFrank edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

shalf says:

I don't mind if people really want to do this, I'm simply trying to persuade any who'll listen that it's a bad idea.

One thing that would help knock this topic out of the upper ranks of FAQ might be to give members the ability to change the arrangement of their photos page a bit. Say, to de-emphasize the photostream and emphasize a set, or the list of sets, instead. That way those members that want a particular order of exposition on the home page can get it, yet we can keep the utility of upload order for the photostream itself (as shown in "your contacts", in the navigation widget, and at least somewhere on the photos page.

Digging a bit in Ideas (where this really belongs now) will turn up a multitude of threads on this topic, and in some Staff have indicated they are considering some member control of their photos page.

view photos

swisskiltbear says:

@shalf

I'm one of those who doesn't quite think it's such a bad idea. The main reason for this is that I'd lke ro upload older photos that I really do not want at the top of my stream, so I'd like them to be ordered by date taken or at least be able to batch-change date uploaded to date taken.

For the newer phots I don't really care as I usually upload them in the order they're taken.

So I for one would be quite happy if we could again change the upload date for a bunch of pictures at once.

view photos

!MimosaMicheMichelle! says:

I wrote Flickr last August, shortly after I joined (Aug 15). They kindly gave me all the instructions.

PSEFrank gave the right instructions for changing the dates (taken and uploaded) on individual photos. You can batch edit the dates taken in the sets as well. However, I am frustrated that I cannot find in the new version a possibility to batch edit the dates uploaded (or taken). Doing it individually is very long.

I keep many photos semi-private (Family/Friends) for a while to give the opportunity for some people to make comments first or simply because the photos are more personal and I am not ready to show everyone yet. I also prefer to encourage people to see my photos in sets which I keep at top for a while. Often, I put my photos far in the stream, I hide them, because I want to keep them less accessible while I leave only one or two that belong to that collection.

I am frustrated that I can only change the date taken in batch for the sets. Since the new changes, the first time I tried this, I thought it was for dates uploaded. So I lost the actual time of sunset my 100 photos were taken!!! This could not be reversed.

I keep the first day or days of the stream for photos that are not of particular interest to the general public, many kept private. This way, the most recent photos in the stream are consistent with the most recently taken photos. I put the old photos from the decades since my childhood at the beginning of the stream as if they were the first uploaded.

Since there are 24 hours in the day, 60 minutes in an hour and 60 seconds in an hour, and since you can set dates per second, you can therefore put 86,400 photos per date. In one year, you can have as much as 31,536,000 photos uploaded and organized per each second of the year! The best way is to keep one day for each year of your life. Surely, you will never have 86,400 photos in one day, let alone 31,536,000 in one year! Maybe 1,000 or so per year.

As an example, here is what I suggeted to my mother who is 80 years old and who scanned last year all her old photos from 1926 on. She uses Flickr and is in the process of uploading all of those old photos, most of which she keeps private for now until she gets a chance to change the date taken but especially the date uploaded on ALL her old photos. I suggested to her to keep a day or two for some photos of general interest such as her knitting and to keep the rest of first 80-100 days of her membership free for her old photos. She may have a lot but relatively just a few per year. This also makes it easier to find the photos of that year in the archive calendar.

The idea is that the order can be changed at will and as often as you wish. You are in control. However, even if I do not have many photos for now, I like to control what people see at the top. I keep the first couple of photos as samples of others tha I hide or officially organize far in the stream. I encourage people to see the set instead.

What I really want FLICKR PEOPLE...ARE YOU READING THIS AND PAYING ATTENTION?, is to be able to change any of the dates (taken or uploaded) in BATCH operations.

We all have control over our photo stream. We just need more sophisticated tools to do exactly what we want.
!MimosaMicheMichelle! edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

evilsaywhat says:

I don't see how this would be something "bad". This would make it so much easier for flickr users who want to upload a ton of their photos...then after how long it takes them to upload their archives, they choose from that point forward to have new photos placed at the front of the photostream. I just don't want all of my older pics to take priority over my recent pictures in my photostream.

view photos

shalf says:

What?

!Mimosa! you seem to be putting way too much effort into this, you should just go with the flow (to pick a stream-related phrase). Tell your mom to ignore her photostream and use tags and sets to organize her photos; those tools are much more flexible. For instance; a photo of her knitting that happens to include a playful kitten can be put in both her "Knitting" set and her "Pets" set. Trying to organize things within the photostream is too limiting, too one-dimensional.

You've gone Pro, if your mother hasn't then gift it to her. Put your energy to more productive use than figuring out how to bend the photostream into something it was never intended to be.

Just my advice, though, I'm a firm believer in the idea that "Your Mileage May Vary" and that everyone should be free to make their own choices, even when it seems like a mistake to me.

view photos

trekbody says:

Shalf, although I totally understand your point, I disagree. What a lot of people here seem to be saying is that they are finding workarounds for problems because Flickr isn't working the way they do. An option to list your Photos page in the order which you would like it does not seem to be an enormous request.

I would like it simply so I could send people to my Photo page without having to worry about setting up sets. If a simply option would obliviate the need for custom sets and a lot of work, I think that is a fair request.

view photos

van wagner-skrzat residence says:

here here! well said, trekbody.

okay - i understand shalf's opin, and can almost see his point - but he's using flickr differently than many of us. THE PROBLEM IS IN CONTROL! WE NEED MORE OF IT!

i note that most all of us in this discussion are paying customers. i, for one, am paying for a couple flickr accounts - and might be about to (or not) add a third. this dupli-triplication is due to the limits in the organization of the system (but we aren't talking sets within sets here)

if the photostream is meant to show folks what's new - cool. but what if it's not about what's new? what if we aren't cool? not all of us are posting photos that are art - many of us are posting photos for family to view, or archiving images for some purpose other than pretty pictures.

furthermore, most of us have expressed a need to have a photo album that our great aunt ethel can navigate. we evidently all have a great aunt ethel.

while it is true that i can arrange the order by drag and drop (sing hallelujah! oh happy day!) in my sets ----i cannot choose to have my sets page be my 'front page'. this is not good for great aunt ethel who has no desire to see my hubby buck-naked in a hot spring because that's what i uploaded after i was done uploading photos of the new kitty, the new kitchen addition, and junior's 10th birthday.

i should either be able to choose to 1)have my 'sets page' be my personal home page (could also give folks have the option of clicking a 'what's new' button to get to my photostream) or 2)have the choice of a new default in the photostream. i want to click on an 'ignore all dates and order my pics any old way i want' option from the dropdown menu after i'm done with my draging and dropping.

many of us don't give a rodent's behind about photostream , and i'm betting that those who are cruising great photography are not checking my sites - my work is not what they are looking for.

are those of us who use flickr archiving pictures for educational or family purposes not be heard? i bet we are the majority of paying customers. we are asking for this control loud and clear - and we shouldn't have to jimmy with the dates and jerry-rig the system in order to put our pics in the order we want.

i want to order my photos the way i want to order them - i should be able to choose this. if my pictures won't line up in the proper narrative order (neither dates descending, nor ascending, then how will people understand the story i'm telling?

i'm paying - but i don't get to choose. NOT FAIR. i love flickr, but...i need more control.

i'll just step off the soapbox now . . . . . before i fall.

view photos

Civilized Explorer says:

i bet we are the majority of paying customers.

I wish I had a dollar for everytime I've read that on flickr help. :->

view photos

I did not react to shalf's comment because he does not seem to use Flickr very much and hardly as all the people I know do. I visit a lot too which I doubt he does so I know how frustrating it can be to have to find what I want and see photos in the order I want.

I stand by what I said because it suits me and what I suggested to my mother is simply what I do. She agrees. She is not aunt ethel but an exception. She is very progressive. I teach her all I know. She enjoys using the computer. And I did give her a pro account as an advance birthday gift a few months ago.

Few people think of looking at tags to see photos, unless they are looking for something in particular. Many people do not add tags or add very few of them, none specific, which will help no one.

Generally, people do not look at sets right away. Anyway, there are often photos that are in no sets. The natural thing for everyone since the begining of photography is to want to look at albums that have a series of photos describing a trip, a town, an event (party, wedding, conference etc), a person, the unfolding of one's life, the growth of a child, a home etc. It is necessary to put such photos in a natural chronology or order. It is normal that we do not care to see photos all mixed up together. If I brought a shoe box full of un-organized photos to show family or friends, people would quickly get bored and very annoyed, not to mention that they would consider me disorganized. We all want to organize our photos they way WE want and not the way Flickr wants.

I try to guide and encourage people to see my photos in sets, especially when they are of a series of photos from one occasion or place. I take photos of an area and describe the place, one photo at a time, with lots of notes. Sometimes a slideshow is the best way to see these photos, sometimes it is also good to look at all the individual notes for the details. The description of my set often includes extra information or it can be all people need to read. If people just look at the first one or two photos of a series of 30 or 50 photos taken of the same place within an hour, they will miss the best parts.

I have been wanting the same thing as van wagner-skrzat residence said (all your suggestion are good!). Since a long time, I want to be able to put the new set (or sets if I want ) as my main attraction on my homepage. Imagine going to my homepage and finding the SET OF THE WEEK so to speak. Then, you just do a slideshow of the whole set. If the photos belong to a larger set or even to a lot of other specific sets, it does not matter. The latest set (or sets) contains, even if only temporarily, only the last photos that are part of a group. If I take photos of my hometown but have new ones to show of one particular area, I put them in one specific set. Even if one day we finally get to create sub-sets, I still want my latest set to be king of my homepage for the length of time that I chose so that people can go directly in that set.

One day Flick people will listen!

view photos

shalf says:

Hey, I did say that giving us some control of what is presented on our "Your Photos" page would be a good answer to this need. That's fine, as long as an upload-order photostream continues to exist as a navigable stream, and I can have the top few items of that show for my contacts.

In the mean time, I'm only suggesting that fussing with the upload date isn't worth the effort. Rather, create a set that represents your stream your way, and keep that sorted to the top of your photos page. I know, it isn't the most prominant thing on the page, yet, but staff have said that controls for the photo page layout is something on their list.

As a workaround, if you send people a link in email, you can send them direct to your sets instead:
www.flickr.com/photos/mimosa0/sets/

Or, use the URLs Brad suggested.
shalf edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

skyslimit says:

I am all for various options of sorting. Sorting by the date taken is a very logical. Another option is to allow "drag and drop" manual sorting, regardless of date taken/upload.

view photos

Todd Kravos says:

I've not read all the replies however, I'd like to raise my hand and ask for more sorting options (manual, auto and/or otherwise)

In the meantime, I tag my pictures with the month and year the date the photo was taken so that in the event I move a picture to the "front" of the line by "hacking" those date fields, I can always it revert back.

However, sort control (manual, auto or otherwise) over all pages would be a nicety. The restriction of adding a photo prior to becoming a member is nonsense. Invaribly, we all have pictures 'taken' prior to becoming a FLICKR member.

Todd Kravos edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

@shalf
I keep many photos and sets semi-private for a while and send out invitations with links to the specific sets to my Flickr friends. I am very organized and way ahead of many ideas brought forth a lot of the time. This from my first days in Flickr.

view photos

@Todd Kravos
Respectfuly, it is always best to read everything before commenting. you will be more enlightened.

view photos

skyslimit says:

!Mimosa!
How do you make your photos and sets "semi-private"? What do you mean by "semi-private"? How do you make a link to a specific set for your Flickr friends? Also, how to delete a set? Thanks for your help.

view photos

Semi-private is my term for family, friends or family and friends. It means to me that only some people see the photos that I have set accordingly.

So far, to get a link for a set, all you can do is to copy the address in your browser and add it to a comment for example.

www.flickr.com/photos/mimosa0/sets/72157594145447986/

or

Village

when you replace the name.

Maybe Flickr could give us the option to create a link like we can do it for a photo such as

Le Village Saint-Lambert. Argyle. Montréal.

That would be great!

To have a set just for friends as you ask, all you do is put only photos that you let friends see in it.

Click on a set and you will see delete this set on the top righthand corner. You can do this in batch operations and organize too.

So far, either you have no photos at all or all are made unavailable to the public because I see no photos in your page. To do all these things discussed here, you need to make your photos accessible to at least some people.

view photos

IvanCheng says:

I can't agree enough with this suggestion to sort by date taken!!!!!!!!!!!!

view photos

KNMwt15000 says:

Me too. sort by date taken needs to be an option

view photos

Melissa King - melissaking.ca says:

I would REALLY like to sort by date taken too...

view photos

shalf says:

Well, there's nothing that can presently be done to help you sort your photostream, apart from manipulating the upload date. However there are many ideas for improving matters. Perhaps you'd care to chime in here or here, or hunt down one of the many other threads in the Ideas forum.

view photos

jerome_c says:

Me too !

I would REALLY REALLY want to sort by date taken !!!

PLEASEE !!!!!!

view photos

RubberIcons says:

Manipulating upload date is easily done and the only solution right now. If you go to Organize and double click the first image at the bottom an update screen will pop up. Choose "DATES" and there you will be given both the date taken and date uploaded. You can click the option to "move to the next image" which makes things easier. Then just cut and paste a date.

Not perfect but at least doable.

view photos

jingai says:

just an odd random discovery. i'm going to upload some old photos, and i want them in the back of my stream. so, was going through and changing dates. but, decided i didn't want to fill in hours, minutes and seconds. so, i just put 00 and then next one 01. i noticed now, their upload date is january 1st, 1970 at 9am. but, nice thing is, they are at least in the order that i changed them. so, lazy way to change them one at a time, but better then cutting and pasting a date and typing a time over and over again. i think? anyway... just odd.

view photos

MagIcReBirth says:

I posted something a couple of months ago, got back here today and I find out that not much has changed... why's that? Went through the discussion and surprisingly I see that an argument has developed.. an argument on whether it is sensible or not to change the "narrative" rationale. I just think it's incredible ! That's not a matter for the developers, but just an option for the users.
Anyways, something's happening it seems. Shalf says that
"staff have said that controls for the photo page layout is something on their list"... maybe some surprise coming up after the summer holidays..

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads