Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 24 hours ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 6 months ago

Current Discussion

No Paypal (not a new subscriber)
Latest: 40 minutes ago
Functionality not working
Latest: 57 minutes ago
[Monitoring Fix] Cannot connect to flickr API
Latest: 88 minutes ago
Childcare and Early Childhood Education Centre in Hamilton
Latest: 5 hours ago
Are you a first-time home buyer or looking for a first home loan?
Latest: 5 hours ago
[Investigating] Issues with Slow Commenting
Latest: 6 hours ago
Upload Error - Can't update this collection
Latest: 11 hours ago
Is there a way to figure out which groups give the most Faves and comments?
Latest: 13 hours ago
[Monitoring Fix] Unable to change safety level
Latest: 15 hours ago
Sharing A Photo To A Second/Invite Level Of A Flickr Group
Latest: 15 hours ago
About Me
Latest: 17 hours ago
comments
Latest: 18 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Closed] Bad case of Hiccups! [missing sets/groups/collections]

Michelle Brea says:

flickr is having an attack every 30 minutes!!!

pls.

------------------------------------------------

Staff Updates

Tuesday Aug 18 17:30 PDT: We've begun a new topic to continue this dicussion. It's over here. -- Heather

Tuesday Aug 18 14:20 PDT: I've just come out of an hour long meeting with the team regarding this. We're going to be running a variety of tests this afternoon that might mean some features will be unavailable for brief periods. -- Heather

Monday Aug 17 09:50 PDT: We're making a small tweak to the hiccups page to make it more informative. You can read about that here. -- Heather

Sunday August 16 23.09PM PDT: For some of the details, we have 62 DBs across 124 servers- accounts are spread across 2 servers each. There are around 800k accounts per pair, give or take some thousand. Read more of Kevin's topic here.

Saturday Aug 15 22:40 PDT: Hi Folks -- You still may experience some random hiccup messages, and problems with various interactions on the site still, there's a bit of an explanation in this post, and you can browse and read through various staff posts in the thread as well. We apologize for problems experienced. -- Kevin
Posted at 2:16PM, 13 July 2009 PST ( permalink )
heather (staff) edited this topic ages ago.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(1 to 100 of 712 replies in [Closed] Bad case of Hiccups! [missing sets/groups/collections])
view photos

Burnt Umber says:

yes it is ongoing today.

I just tried to add photos to a group using the icon over the photo and got this:

There was an error: "Sorry, the Flickr API service is not currently available."

Someone please feed the Donkey!!
Posted ages ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin says:

yep, we're aware of the hiccups and the operations guys are working on it right now. Sorry folks!

view photos

jeffreyhollis says:

I just uploaded about a hundred photos to sets, tagged, geotagged, and put descriptions on them. A hiccup came along, and got rid of my hours of labor.

So much for Pro.

view photos

origin2 says:

Man, I've just uploaded about 40-50 photos and wrote A LOT comment, and it's all GONE now? What the ...

view photos

parsimonious cover says:

Same here, lost a bunch of photos, tags etc

view photos

ForkyNel says:

Yep same here... uploaded a few photos and now they're gone :(

But now I've noticed they are coming back one by one. I hope all the tagging/description/comment data comes back too :S

view photos

Burnt Umber says:

when you get a hiccup always hit the "back" button. do not use the "refresh" button. It always brings back the previous page for me. (for me anyway)

Also, Don't give up hope on a massive upload of images. After a hiccup session I have found sometimes they have gone through but do not appear until hours later.

Kevin

"the operations guys are working on it"

I hope the donkey is OK. i did not know she needed an operation. tell the guys to be careful with the funny bone. i always hit the side with the tweezers and make the buzzer go off.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin says:

Hey there, ForkyNel, Alec Peden, origin2, jeffreyhollis- all your accounts are on a database which has just been worked on, so stuff should be viewable again soon if it's not already.

view photos

Jim Skea says:

Access is dreadful (even to the help forum)

There seems to be trouble accessing us.adserver.yahoo.com too

view photos

ⓅⒶⓎⓅⒶⓊⓁ says:

Perhaps Flickr needs a good scare to ward off the hiccups again.

view photos

ForkyNel says:

All good now. Phew!

view photos

Jim Skea says:

Well it was good for a few minutes. It's all gone pear-shaped again.

view photos

Jim Skea says:

Well it was good for a few minutes. It's all gone pear-shaped again.

view photos

Burnt Umber says:

See, just hit the back button and do not resend. You just ctreated a double post because of a hiccup.

Bruno is out and so is Transformers 2. Go see a movie until the Donkey feels better.

view photos

Project 404 says:

been doing this to me for a good 12 hours

view photos

Flickr Staff

Norby says:

Project 404: We're stable again and we should have full redundancy (without the hiccups, downtime or anything else) shortly.

-/\/

view photos

seadawg_360 says:

got 'em here now as well...

view photos

Dean Forbes (absent from the streets) says:

Seeing glitches with uploading photos, adding tags and assigning images to sets. Weirdness.

view photos

Marty4650 says:

This hiccup thing is impossible!

What Flickr calls "hiccups" probably means "there is too much traffic on our servers, so we are slow as molasses now,... in fact, we will just freeze up on you."

I think Flickr has become a victim of it's own success. They attracted too many subscribers and just don't have the infrastructure to support the traffic.

I really love Flickr, but this problem needs to be resolved.

If they cannot do better than this, then I am moving elsewhere. And I recently extended my pro account for two more years.

It's a real shame they don't seem to be trying very hard to fix this....

Oh well... it was good while it lasted....

view photos

Burnt Umber says:

For the love of the Magic Donkey!!

Look, I went 4 days last week without internet service at all! I spent more than 20 hours with my ISP technical support on the phone listening to them tell me they have "upgradation" issues.

This is nothing! These are hiccups. A glitch in the holy universe known as the internet. It happens

If they cannot do better than this, then I am moving elsewhere

Actually no one does better than this. As much as I complain about the donkey (staff has herd my bitching), it is the best donkey on the web. You get the best exposure and best service of any web photo share site. Ugg i hate saying that.

Google any photo by tag and most of them come up Flickr.

Take your stuff elsewhere but really a chill pill now certainly beats being lost in the bowels of the internet on an obscure photoshare site.

I think there is a new Sponge Bob episode on tonight. I am going to watch the Daily Show & The Colbert Repot!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin says:

"It's a real shame they don't seem to be trying very hard to fix this...."

We are, really- and we know it is supremely annoying. :(

To recap- 1 particular system on a database pair (otherwise known as a "shard"), in essence needed a brain transplant. Marty4650, Dean Forbes, your accounts are on there as some earlier folks who posted. (scorpius_360, not yours but read on.) When one half of a database pair is offline, it can cause hiccups for accounts that are on them, as well as groups that are as well. (Also, Forum threads where people on the affected shard has posted to can generate the error, so someone's account who is not directly affected can see the affects.)

We've done most of the work, and our operations guys are doing some of the followup to make sure the hardware and databases are running smooth. :)

view photos

Jim Skea says:

I'll bet it was really something to do with those new ROUND buttons.

view photos

Burnt Umber says:

Jim Skea

I am with you on that one!! Those round buttons shed all their sharp corners which were then cast off into the main frame creating giant shards which eventually attached themselves to the database pair causing a cascade effect of sever hiccupitis.

view photos

bunchadogs & susan [OFF AGAIN] says:

what Burnt Umber said.

this is so frustrating.

view photos

A Great Capture says:

GRRRRRR. Frustrating is right.

view photos

Pink-Kat (Kate) says:

Error on loading groups?? Peak time to!!

view photos

seadawg_360 says:

I thought it was odd that they were happening here Kevin as the test page showed no problems...

view photos

Flickr Staff

Norby says:

scorpius_360: The test page is merely a test of connectivity / DNS resolution (most helpful when checking on "I can't see photos" issues.

The hiccups are a server resource issue. We've had some HW problems with some of the new DBs and vendor turnaround on replacements has been subpar, to say the least. We've finally got our mitts on (what we hope is) the last pair to swap out, and are doing said swapping now.

-/\/

view photos

Burnt Umber says:

HW = Hog Wash

DB = Dog Bones

Substitute you own words and see what makes you giggle. It beats hell out of knocking your head on that damn Hiccup page.

Keep pluggin away Norby. My ISP guys knock off at 10:00 so the bone heads best appreciate the work you guys do.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Norby says:

The Dog Wash and Hog Bones are all put to bed now. Hopefully for a long mid-summer's night dream. Thanks for your patience everybody (especially those of you who reside on shard 29). It's been a rough couple of days on this side too.

-/\/

view photos

ⓅⒶⓎⓅⒶⓊⓁ says:

Shard 29 has been invaded by the Drakken Order of Ukelo V. They are demanding we give up our Blue Buttons and become their slaves for all eternity. The High Drakken Overlord is awaiting an answer and he is not a very patient or understanding ruler. The cities of Shard 29 will fall one by one until compliance is accomplished.

This is your final warning!!

view photos

ⓅⒶⓎⓅⒶⓊⓁ says:

Flickr needs a high colonic. I've counted at least 8 Flickkups within the past half an hour.
I'm sure I'm not going to be able to post this thing correctly either.....crosses fingers

view photos

ⓅⒶⓎⓅⒶⓊⓁ says:

One more hiccup...

view photos

vfm4 says:

still hiccups....

view photos

Ma®tiniLux says:

ⓅⒶⓎⓅⒶⓊⓁ wrote

One more hiccup...
One? You're lucky, this is hiccup-central. About once every 5 clicks.

view photos

CliffDotMac says:

2 hours of chat lost last night (GMT) and endless hiccups.

Nightmare!

view photos

Michelle Brea says:

looks like hiccupps are back with a vengeance, 2 days in a row, pls. its frustrating!!!

view photos

ⓅⒶⓎⓅⒶⓊⓁ says:

More hiccups. and Flickrstein still hasn't corrected my total photo views. Where are you Flickr Staff? Still dipping your blue heads into the BBQ Sauce???

view photos

-RobW- says:

I'm finding it much improved today, but still a bit hiccupy.

view photos

StevenM_61 says:

The hiccups are back! In fact they have gotten to the point that I cannot post in group discussion threads.

view photos

liquidindimension says:

more frustrating today than I have ever seen.

view photos

eminent dinner says:

The Magic Donkey ate some bad oats!!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin says:

Hey folks- the operations guys are on it now, this should be over soon, and sorry about the interruption.

view photos

saddleguy says:

Will someone please put a paper bag over its head and tell it to breathe deep and slow??

view photos

LeapFrog (Art) says:

WOW WOW WOW ... again!!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin says:

Should be all clear now, folks- sorry again!

view photos

earthy nut says:

Lots of hiccups today!

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Hi Gypsy,

Unfortunately, you are on a part of the database that we're working on a bit. Sorry for the troubles, and we hope to have it resolved soon.

view photos

earthy nut says:

Thanks!

view photos

joe469 says:

Are these hiccups causing many of us to not receive email informing us of activity on our photostreams?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin says:

No joe469- it isn't related.

view photos

Janey Kay says:

Bad hiccups for me tonight .... especially when I'm doing Group Moderation and thread editing.

I did the test page and everything is green ...

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Hi Janey Kay,

We are working on one part of the database today, and the groups page will likely be affected by that work. We should have this resolved soon, and I'll post an update when we do.

view photos

dynamitedotorg says:

It's completely broken tonight for me. It repeatedly hiccups, and I've given up trying to upload a batch of files after yet another API failure which is a pain when you've wasted a few hours labelling and tagging everything properly before it fails yet again.

One day there will be a status page telling us what's going on so we don't have to waste our time, I'll not hold my breath though.

view photos

StevenM_61 says:

I cannot link to the groups page to access my groups. For the past ten minutes, whenever I click on the groups page to go there, all I get is the hiccups message. I can go to other Flickr pages but not the groups page.

view photos

ashman AZ says:

Hiccups getting old!!!!!

view photos

gkgirl says:

i can't upload anything...
i get to 99%
and there it stays.

is this happening to anyone else?

view photos

:::HoJinChang::: says:

Major hiccups!!

view photos

Fatemo says:

Way major!!!

view photos

Werewolf Puppy says:

I see this error message when I tried to browse my photo stream or use organizer: 504 Gateway Time-out. nginx/0.7.61

Cheers

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Hi Werewolf Puppy, yes, you are on the affected part of the database, too, and it's going to be a wee bit longer, I'm afraid, until we've got the situation under control.

We're working to resolve this. Thanks.

view photos

gkgirl says:

I am not getting an error message of any kind
or the hiccups message...
I just can't upload anything???

view photos

Jim Frazier says:

I am seeing "hiccups" literally every day. Maybe you should put "beta" back on the logo.

And come up with another cutesy metaphor. I'm really getting tired of "hiccups."

view photos

seadawg_360 says:

Yep, they're back in grand style here as well....

view photos

jakerome says:

Holy Fliccups Batman! It's impossible to click more than 3 links w/o getting Fliccups, and it's been getting worse for days. I know there's a ton of doohizzles that need turnbobbilating, but this is enough. Can you please make the site stable & fast? I have faith in Flayops!

view photos

~Terrie K ~ says:

I am getting 'hiccups' on some discussions. I can open one's 2nd page but not get to the first page of the discussion, other discussions I can't open and some are ok
~Terrie K ~ edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

scott*eric says:

Hmm lately the sites been more like flakr =(

view photos

strong baseball says:

Tell me about it...
I'm almost 15 minutes trying to load a page.

view photos

*Bundy* says:

I've noticed that as well and tonight it's the worst I've ever seen it.

I can't access the Groups page at all without getting the now annoying message "Hold your clicks a moment please...Flickr has the hiccups. We're looking into the problem right now."

I don't know what the problem is but I hope they get it fixed sooner rather than later. Tell the tech guys to try drinking some water to get rid of these annoying hiccups. Either that or someone scare them.
*Bundy* edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

pongo 2007 says:

Impossible to access groups.. hiccups.. I know Flickr staff will solve this soon... I hope..

view photos

scrapping61 says:

Can't even get to them using search, which worked the last time this happened...

view photos

tengtan (catching up) says:

Same issues here.

Groups are inaccessible at the moment!

view photos

Great Beyond says:

And now the site's completely gone, everywhere. This is seriously fucked.

view photos

My Baby Mia says:

HI THERE!
PROBLEM WITH "ADMIN INVITE" BOX!
IT DOESN'T OPEN!

Slow, hiccups, blank pages!

PLS!

view photos

fogline says:

Aaaaaaaarrrrggggghhhh!!!!!

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

Other than these help pages, everything is "hiccupping" for me: photostream, groups, comments, faves, etc....

view photos

teh resa says:

I'm seeing it a lot more this week too. Honestly, it doesn't bother me that much, its a bit of a nuisance though. Usually you can just walk away and come back later but this week that wouldn't make any difference. It doesn't really bother me that much though, I don't expect the site - given its size - to hum like a perfectly tuned machine all the time. I'm more concerned about the potential for accidental account deletions than I am about these frequent inconveniences. I waste too much time here anyway, so its a chance to walk away for awhile.

The potential for accidental account deletions is a more serious problem IMHO, and should be given first priority over minor inconveniences like this.

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Yes folks, we do have a few shards that we are working on at this time, and there will be some hiccups happening. Very sorry for the inconvenience.

view photos

kediwah says:

So, sharded DBs to DB pairs. Secondary DB unable to fully handle load after taking over for failed primary, I take it?

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

Not all of us can be so easy-going.. Therrr.

It's frustrating when much of the website is completely down for hours at a time. (Over three hours this evening, with access only to help pages).

I doubt any of us expect it to be perfect, which is why they built the Help Forum, but we do expect it to work on some basic level.

(edited for grammar)
Wil C. Fry edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

Sorry, I guess I was posting while you replied... When I was typing, there hadn't been any staff participation yet (on today's problem).

view photos

Jeff Milsteen says:

For the last 30 minutes or so, every time I click on the second image in "My Contacts" stream, I get the hiccups screen. I can click on the image before it and the image after it and it displays those images fine. Just passing this along.

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

Sorry, you know, none of us here like these hiccups either, and right now flops is hard at work to get them under control.

I apologize that we seem "not here", but we very much are, and hope to have this under control soon. ;)

view photos

Pink-Kat (Kate) says:

Thanks!

It is the worst I've seen Flickr in a long time. I cannot even get at my photos, let alone submit to invite groups. Personally, I've never seen it this bad before (1-1/2 hours of downtime).

I guess you guys are doing your best, but it has been progressively getting worse for some time now!
Pink-Kat (Kate) edited this topic ages ago.

view photos

Pete Foley says:

Same issue as 4 weeks ago

I just tried to add photos to a group using the icon over the photo and got this:

There was an error: "Sorry, the Flickr API service is not currently available."

view photos

Andrea Kennard says:

The main bit that is hiccuping for me is the Groups tab. I CANNOT get into the groups list.

view photos

*Bundy* says:

It has most definitely been getting worse for some time and I guess culminating with a complete mess tonight. Any idea on a time frame when we can expect things to return to normal? Or as close to normal as we're going to get it?

I have some things I wanted to do but don't feel like waiting around as this seems to be taking forever. I'll go do other stuff and come back later if you can give me some time to check back.

Thanks

view photos

AraiGodai says:

On my side the contacts works fine, but like Jahina i can't access the "group" page.

view photos

Andrea Kennard says:

Grrr, I can't even upload a photo to a group through the Send To Group menu at the top of a photo.

This is very VERY frustrating.

view photos

Maureen F. says:

seems to be working then not working, or some of it is working and then not other places such as groups
sigh

view photos

Flickr Staff

zyrcster says:

*Bundy* and all,

The closest update I can give at this time is 'soon' - hopefully very soon. I'm not being flip about it either, a lot of people are working on this at this time.

Thanks.

view photos

fogline says:

Well...the "Not currently available" message is coming up quicker...now, THAT'S progress...

view photos

katiegab715 says:

I tried to click on my groups and I get the "hiccups" button. I was able

to post pictures this morning okay.

view photos

scrapping61 says:

zyrcster I am sure that everyone is...some of us do realize that you cannot give an eta on something like this...I'll just get a glass of wine and have a bite of dinner and check back later...is not the end of the world...

view photos

bored spoon says:

Why isn't this problem being worked on? Its very bad and constant very time I try an use FLICKR you have a hiccups but I can't use flickr. when is some body going to do somthing to fix this problem?

view photos

Kooklamou - MA., USA says:

Well at least I know it is not just me. Thanks Zyrcster for checking back with us every once in a while. That is encouraging!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Kevin says:

It is being worked on, right now, Atsha Images- the operations guys are working on it right now.

view photos

fmulder21 says:

Wow, i can't believe someone said the "pay a nominal fee" wow $2 a month!? I have 3 1 year accounts and mine is 2 years. It's not alot. My cable went out 3 times today cause of storms...Who cares? I uploaded pictures from the uploader a min ago and they seem to have gone through. Random hiccups in the past our. Off to watch Adult Swim :)

view photos

jakerome says:

Yes, but you have a life! What are those of us without a life supposed to do? I don't wanna go outside! NOOOOOOOOOOO!

view photos

*Bundy* says:

Thanks. "Soon" is a more positive answer than I expected as I figured this was a major issue that could keep us down for a long time. I appreciate the response and the effort being put forth in fixing the issues.

It's easy to complain but knowing that the problem is being worked on makes it a bit easier to deal with.

I'll check back in a half hour to see if any progress has been made. Thanks!
*Bundy* edited this topic ages ago.

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

← prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(1 to 100 of 712 replies in [Closed] Bad case of Hiccups! [missing sets/groups/collections])
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads