Yahoo News Editorial ADMIN November 14, 2013
Thanks to all photographers who entered our joint photo contest from Yahoo News and Flickr. This contest is now closed. But we’ll launch new contests soon. We received hundreds of photos and will announce our winners within the next two weeks. Read more about the prizes and judging criteria in our contest rules. If want to share your photography on Yahoo websites, join our Yahoo News: Your Photos group.
Group DescriptionThanks to all photographers who entered our joint photo contest from Yahoo News and Flickr. This contest is now closed. But we’ll launch new contests soon. We received hundreds of photos and will announce our winners within the next two weeks. Read more about the prizes and judging criteria in our contest rules below. If want to share your photography on Yahoo websites, join our Yahoo News: Your Photos group.
Group RulesOfficial Rules:
Yahoo News Flickr Fall 2013 Photo Contest
THE FOLLOWING PROMOTION IS INTENDED FOR PLAY IN THE FIFTY UNITED STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (COLLECTIVELY, THE “ELIGIBILITY ZONE”) ONLY AND SHALL ONLY BE CONSTRUED AND EVALUATED ACCORDING TO THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES. DO NOT ENTER THIS PROMOTION IF YOU ARE NOT LOCATED IN, AND A LEGAL RESIDENT OF, THE ELIGIBILITY ZONE DURING THE ENTIRE TERM OF THIS PROMOTION. SEE BELOW FOR ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY RESTRICTIONS.
NO ENTRY FEE IS REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE.
ENTRY IN THIS PROMOTION CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THE TERMS OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
1. About The Promotion: The Yahoo News Flickr Fall 2013 Photo Contest (the "Promotion") is a skill contest operated by Yahoo! Inc. (“Yahoo” or “Sponsor”) through Flickr, a photosharing website owned and operated by Yahoo. In the Promotion, the Sponsor is looking for images that showcase the colors and changes of the Autumn season (the “Theme”). Entrants may submit entries (each, an “Entry”) using the Theme, which will be judged according to the criteria described below.
2. Eligibility: This Promotion is open to legal residents of the fifty United States or the District of Columbia who are 18 years or older at the time of entry. Void in overseas U.S. territories, possessions, commonwealths and military installations, and where prohibited by law. Employees, officers, directors and agents of Yahoo! Inc., and its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotional agencies, any other prize sponsor, and any entity involved in the development, production, implementation, administration or fulfillment of the Promotion (all of the foregoing, together with Sponsor, collectively referred to as “Promotion Entities”), and the immediate family members and persons living in the same household as such individuals, whether related or not, are not eligible to participate or win.
3. How To Register: The Promotion begins on October 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM ET and ends November 13, 2013 at 11:59 PM ET (the “Entry Period”). To enter, visit the Flickr Group associated with the Promotion, located at www.flickr.com/groups/yahoo-news-flickr-fall-2013-photo-c... (the “Promotion Group”). If you are not an existing Flickr account holder, you must register for a free Flickr ID. Follow the instructions to completely fill out and submit the ID registration form. Limit one registration per person and per e-mail address. Any individual who attempts to register, or in the sole discretion of Sponsor is suspected of registering more than once, by any means, including but not limited to establishing multiple e-mail accounts or Flickr IDs may be disqualified from the Promotion.
Once registered with Flickr, visit the Promotion Group. Review these Official Rules, then click “Like” where indicated to give yourself full access to the Promotion Group. When you have successfully joined the Promotion Group, click "Upload Photo" and follow the instructions to upload your photo (your "Photo" or “Entry”) to the Promotion Group. Submissions that do not include all required information and adhere to the foregoing and following requirements may be considered void and may not be considered in the judging of this Promotion.
LIMIT A MAXIMUM OF THREE ENTRIES PER ENTRANT IN THE CONTEST. Each of your Entries must be unique; you may not submit the same or materially similar Photo more than once. The decision about what constitutes the same or materially similar Photos is in Sponsor's sole discretion. You must complete the registration process and upload your Photo(s) by no later than the close of the Entry Period. Your Photo(s) must showcase the Theme of the Promotion.
For purposes of these Official Rules, “receipt” of an Entry occurs when Flickr’s servers record the entry information upon clicking the “Submit” button to upload your Entry. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of the person who submitted an Entry, Yahoo! will attempt to resolve the dispute in favor of the individual who is both the authorized holder of the Flickr ID and password associated with the account, and the "authorized email account holder" of the email address provided when the Flickr ID was created. "Authorized email account holder" is defined as the natural person assigned an email address by an internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (i.e., business, educational institution) responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. If there is a discrepancy between the name of the person listed as the authorized holder of the Flickr ID and the authorized email account holder of the email address provided when the Flickr ID was created, that Flickr ID will be disqualified and any prize forfeited. A potential prize winner may be required to provide Promotion Entities with proof that he/she is the authorized account holder as described above.
4. General Conditions of Entry: Entrants retain their copyright and moral rights in any Photos submitted in connection with this Promotion. As conditions of entry into this Promotion, each Entrant:
i. WARRANTS AND REPRESENTS THAT HE/SHE OWNS ALL RIGHTS TO THE SUBMISSION HE/SHE IS UPLOADING IN CONNECTION WITH THIS PROMOTION, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE PHOTOGRAPH OR DIGITAL IMAGE CONTAINED IN EACH SUBMISSION (collectively, the “Entry Materials”);
ii. WARRANTS AND REPRESENTS THAT THE ENTRANT IS THE INDIVIDUAL PICTURED IN HIS/HER ENTRY MATERIALS, OR, ALTERNATIVELY, THAT THE ENTRANT HAS OBTAINED PERMISSION FROM EACH PERSON WHO APPEARS IN THE ENTRY MATERIALS TO GRANT THE RIGHTS TO THE PROMOTION ENTITIES DESCRIBED IN THESE RULES, AND CAN MAKE SUCH PERMISSIONS AVAILABLE TO PROMOTION ENTITIES UPON REQUEST;
iii. WARRANTS AND REPRESENTS THAT HIS/HER ENTRY MATERIALS: (a) ARE ORIGINAL TO THE ENTRANT AND HAVE BEEN LEGALLY OBTAINED AND CREATED, (b) DO NOT INFRINGE THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, PRIVACY OR PUBLICITY RIGHTS OR ANY OTHER LEGAL OR MORAL RIGHTS OF ANY THIRD PARTY, OR VIOLATE APPLICABLE LAWS, REGULATIONS, OR NETWORK STANDARDS; (c) HAVE NOT BEEN ENTERED IN OR WON PREVIOUS CONTESTS OR AWARDS; AND (d) HAVE NOT BEEN PUBLISHED PREVIOUSLY IN ANY MEDIUM;
iv. irrevocably grants to Promotion Entities and their affiliates, legal representatives, assigns, agents and licensees, the worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, sublicensable, unconditional, perpetual and transferable right and license to copyright (only as applicable, as described below), reproduce, encode, store, modify, copy, transmit, publish, post, broadcast, display, publicly perform, adapt, exhibit and/or otherwise use or reuse (without limitation as to when or to the number of times used), the Entrant's name, address, image, voice, likeness, statements, biographical material and Entry Materials, including, but not limited to, the photograph or digital image and performances contained in any of the above items, as well as any additional photographic images, video images, portraits, interviews or other materials relating to the Entrant and arising out of his/her participation in this Promotion (with or without using the Entrant's name) (collectively, the "Additional Materials") (in each case, as submitted or as edited/modified in any way, whether by the Promotion Entities, their licensees, or assigns, in the Promotion Entities' sole discretion) in any media, format or medium throughout the world for any purpose, without limitation, and without additional review, compensation, or approval from the Entrant or any other party, except as prohibited by law;
v. except where prohibited by law, forever waives any rights of privacy, intellectual property rights, and any other legal or moral rights that may preclude Promotion Entities' use of the Entrant's Entry Materials or Additional Materials, or require the Entrant's permission for Promotion Entities to use them for any purpose, and agrees to never sue or assert any claim against the Promotion Entities' use of those Materials;
vi. acknowledges and agrees that (a) Promotion Entities and other Promotion participants have access to and/or may create or have created literary, film, tape and/or other materials, ideas and concepts which may be similar or identical to the Entrant’s Entry Materials in theme, idea, plot, format, characters and/or other respects; (b) the Entrant will not be entitled to any compensation or other consideration because of the use by Promotion Entities of any such similar or identical material, ideas and/or concepts; and (c) Promotion Entities' use of material containing elements similar to or identical with those contained in the Entry Materials or any submission shall not obligate Promotion Entities to negotiate with nor entitle Entrant to any compensation or other claim;
vii. agrees to indemnify and hold the Promotion Entities and their respective affiliates, officers, directors, agents, co-branders or other partners, and any of their employees (collectively, the "Promotion Indemnitees"), harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys' fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the Promotion Indemnitees arising out of or in connection with (a) any Entry Materials or Additional Materials (including, but not limited to, any and all claims of third parties, whether or not groundless, based on the submission of such other material); (b) any breach by Entrant of any warranty, agreement or representation contained in the Official Rules or terms of service or in any documentation submitted by Entrant; (c) the Entrant's conduct during and in connection with this Promotion, including but not limited to trademark, copyright, or other intellectual property rights, right of publicity, right of privacy or defamation; or (d) the acceptance of any prize.
5. Content Restrictions & Guidelines: All Entries submitted in connection with this Promotion:
(a) must be formatted and encoded according to the requirements set forth at the Promotion Site, and in compliance with any guidelines or terms provided by Flickr that may then be in effect;
(b) must be in English, if there is any language in the Entry;
(c) must be suitable for display and publication as if intended to appear on U.S. national television (i.e., may not be obscene or indecent, including but not limited to nudity, pornography or profanity);
(d) must not contain defamatory statements (including but not limited to words or symbols that are widely considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or socioeconomic group);
(e) must not include threats to any person, place, business, group or world peace;
(f) must not invade privacy or other rights of any person, firm or entity;
(g) must not contain any commercial content that promotes any product or service other than the Sponsor's, or contain or reference any third party names, logos or trademarks;
(h) must not contain any copyrighted works (other than as owned by the Entrant). Use of any Elements that are not original, in the public domain, or downloaded from the Web Site may result in disqualification, in Sponsor's sole discretion.
Entrants may digitally manipulate submitted Photos in order to optimize an image, but adding or removing key elements of the image is not allowed. Composite or montage images sequenced from more than one original image are not eligible for entry into the Promotion and will be disqualified. Posting images that contain the work of others (“Third Party Work”) is permitted only if such images portray that Third Party Work as an object in its environment, and only if the inclusion of such Third Party Work does not otherwise violate any rights of others.
Entrants acknowledge that Yahoo will monitor and moderate all Entry Materials posted, stored or uploaded through or in connection with the Promotion Group, but such review does not relieve the Entrant from his/her obligation to comply with these Official Rules. At any time during the Promotion, Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole and unfettered discretion, to disqualify and remove any Entry that either of them believes contains any inappropriate content, infringes the rights of any third party, or otherwise does not meet any other requirements in these Official Rules. Entries removed by the Promotion Entities will be disqualified and will not be considered for a prize in this Promotion. The decisions of the Sponsor on this and all matters relating to the Promotion are final and binding. The Promotion Entities do not endorse any Entry Materials, take no responsibility and assume no liability for, any Entry Material posted, stored or uploaded by an Entrant or any third party, or for any loss or damage thereto.
Certain Entries may be featured from time to time on the Promotion Group during the Promotion Entry Period, in Sponsor's sole discretion; however, being selected as a featured Entry is unrelated to the judging criteria of the Promotion and does not guarantee selection as a winner in the Promotion.
7. Judging: Photos will be judged based on the following five criteria (collectively, the “Criteria”): (a) composition (10 points); (b) lighting (10 points); (c) image quality (10 points); (d) creativity (10 points), and (e) degree to which the subject matter of the photo captures the Theme of the Promotion (10 points). The highest judged entries according to these Criteria will, pending verification, be awarded the prizes described below, in descending order, according to the scores awarded by the judges.
Judging will be conducted in two rounds. In the first round, a member of the Yahoo! News staff will review all the submitted entries according to the Criteria stated above, and select the top 20 entries as semifinalists (each, a “Semifinalist”). In the second round, the Semifinalists will be re-judged by a panel of Yahoo! photo editors, who will select the Winners of the Promotion according to the same Criteria described above. In the event of a tie, the tied Entries will be re-judged by a different panel of judges selected by Sponsor to determine the winners. All decisions of the judging panels are final. In either round of judging, the judges reserve the right to select fewer, or no, Semifinalists/winners, if there is an insufficient number of eligible or otherwise appropriate entries participating in the Promotion.
Judging will take place within approximately 15 days following the close of the Promotion. Potential winners will be notified via Flickr Mail within approximately seven business days following the completion of judging. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, or does not respond to the attempted notification within fourteen days following attempted notification, that potential winner may be disqualified and an alternate winner may be contacted. Potential winners may be required to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release (collectively, an "Affidavit") before a prize will be awarded. The Affidavit must be fully completed and returned within fourteen days following receipt by potential winner, or the potential winner may be disqualified and an alternate winner selected in Sponsor’s sole discretion.
Grand Prize: One Grand Prize winner will receive a $500 VISA gift card and a Flickr T-Shirt. Approximate retail value of Grand Prize: $520.
Runner Up Prizes: Four Runner Up Prize winners will each receive a $100 Amazon.com gift card and a Flickr T-shirt. Approximate retail value of each Runner Up Prize: $120.
The following applies to all prizes: Approximate retail value of all prizes: $1,000. Limit one prize per winner. Prizes may not be transferred or assigned except by Sponsor. Prizes cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotion or offer and may not be separated. Only listed prizes will be awarded and no substitutions, cash equivalents or redemptions will be made, except that Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any prize package with another prize of equal or greater value in the event that the advertised prize (or any component thereof) is not available. Reporting and payment of all applicable taxes, fees, and/or surcharges, if any, arising out of, or resulting from, acceptance or use of a prize, are the sole responsibility of the winner of that prize. Sponsor expressly disclaims any responsibility or liability for injury or loss to any person or property relating to the delivery and/or subsequent use of the prizes awarded. Sponsor makes no representations or warranties concerning the appearance, safety or performance of any prize awarded. Restrictions, conditions, and limitations apply. Promotion Entities will not replace any lost or stolen prize items.
9.GENERAL RULES: The Promotion is governed by and subject to the laws of the United States, including all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited by law. If applicable, each Prize winner may be issued an IRS Form 1099 for the value of his/her prize. Participants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of the judges, which are final and binding on all matters relating to the Promotion. Promotion Entities are not responsible for any typographical or other errors in the printing of the offer, administration of the Promotion or the announcement of the prizes, or for lost, late, misdirected, damaged, incomplete or illegal entries.
Promotion Entities reserve the right at their sole discretion to disqualify the Entry of any individual found to be (a) tampering or attempting to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Promotion or any Sponsor website; (b) violating the Official Rules; (c) violating the terms of service, conditions of use and/or general rules or guidelines of any Promotion-related or Sponsor-related property or service, or (d) acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE PROMOTION MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, PROMOTION ENTITIES RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
10. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: The Promotion Entities assume no responsibility for any computer, online, telephone transmission or technical malfunctions that may occur during participation in the Promotion, or for theft, destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, Entry Materials. Promotion Entities are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by website users, participants or any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Promotion; or for any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of submissions in the Promotion. Promotion Entities assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, failures or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, providers, computer equipment, software, email, players or browsers, whether on account of technical problems, traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or on account of any combination of the foregoing (including but not limited to any such problems which may result in the inability to access the Promotion Site or to submit Entry Materials in connection with the Promotion). Promotion Entities are not responsible for any injury or damage to participants or to any computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading materials in this Promotion. If, for any reason, the Promotion is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Promotion Entities which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Promotion, the Promotion Entities reserve the right at their sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Promotion and select winners from among that portion of the Promotion that has not been compromised, if any.
11.DISPUTES/GOVERNING LAW: Except where prohibited by law, as a condition of participating in this Promotion, Entrant agrees that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved between the parties, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Promotion, or any prize awarded, or the determination of winners shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will Entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys' fees, other than entrant's actual out-pocket expenses (e.g., costs associated with entering this Promotion), and Entrant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased. All issues and questions rights and obligations of Entrant in connection with this Promotion shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of California, U.S.A., without giving effect to the conflict of laws rules thereof and any matters or proceedings which are not subject to arbitration as set forth in these Official Rules and/or for entering any judgment on an arbitration award, shall take place in the State of California, County of Santa Clara.
The parties waive rights to trial by jury in any action or proceeding instituted in connection with these Official Rules and/or this Promotion. Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to these Official Rules and/or this Promotion shall be settled by binding arbitration in accordance with the commercial arbitration rules of the American Arbitration Association. Any such controversy or claim shall be arbitrated on an individual basis, and shall not be consolidated in any arbitration with any claim or controversy of any other party. The arbitration shall be conducted in the State of California, County of Santa Clara, and judgment on the arbitration award may be entered into any court having jurisdiction thereof.
If any provision of these Official Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by any court having competent jurisdiction, then that provision shall be deemed severable from these Official Rules and shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any remaining provisions. The failure of Promotion Entities to insist upon or enforce any of the provisions of these Official Rules, or to exercise any rights or remedies under these Official Rules, will not be construed as a waiver of Promotion Entities’ right to assert or rely upon any such provisions, rights or remedies.
13.WINNERS LIST: For a list of the winners, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: Yahoo News Flickr Fall 2013 Photo Contest, Winners List Requests, Attn: Tim Skillern, Yahoo! Inc., 210 University Ave, Suite 300, Denver, CO 80206. Requests received after February 13, 2014 will not be honored.
14.OFFICIAL RULES REQUESTS: For a copy of the Official Rules, print this web page or send a separate, stamped, self-addressed envelope to: Yahoo News Flickr Fall 2013 Photo Contest, Official Rules Requests, Attn: Tim Skillern, Yahoo! Inc., 210 University Ave, Suite 300, Denver, CO 80206. Requests received after the close of the Entry Period will not be honored.
15.SPONSOR: Yahoo! Inc, 701 First Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94089.
- Accepted content types: Photos, Images
- Accepted safety levels: Safe