Dean Goss ADMIN May 19, 2009
For all of the contributions from the widespread group, we are sincerely grateful. Thanks, Gracias, Merci, Grazie, Danke, Takk, Obrigado, Istutiy, or Dankee...I think that should cover the native tongues for most of our contributors!
Group DescriptionThis is a group that has been set up to share and identify photos of important and major waterfalls around the world. The World Waterfall Database has been established to provide a record of all the major waterfalls on earth, but since it is currently run by two US-based individuals, we don't have the flexibility to easily document waterfalls outside of North America and Canada. This is where we want your help. If you have a picture of a major waterfall somewhere around the world, we want to see it and we want you to help the World Waterfall Database establish a complete, accurate record of the major waterfalls around the world.
Group RulesBy submitting and subsequent approval of your pictures to this group, you agree to allow your images to be used on the website of the World Waterfall Database (www.worldwaterfalldatabase.com) under the Creative Commons license. The source will be credited and the image may be resized. Not all images submitted to this group will be used outside of this group. We will do our best to let you know if we plan on using one of your images.
1. Submitting images unrelated to waterfalls will result in you being removed and / or banned from the group.
2. NO HDR images will be accepted. If its extremely subtle, we will consider it. If it looks like a black velvet poster with garish dayglo colors, it will be rejected. Black and white is discouraged, but may be accepted in certain cases.
3. As much as possible, keep people and man-made objects out of the frame. There are certain major waterfalls where this is simply not possible and we will allow images to be added where this occurs. No "vacation" pictures with someone looking at the camera and smiling in a ridiculous manner.
4. Natural Waterfalls ONLY.
5. No tiny images. Anything less than 800px on the long edge will be rejected (though we do reserve the right to bend this rule as we see fit). If you do not allow larger sizes of your image to be publicly visible, we will reject your submission regardless of the quality of the photograph! The idea is not to be exclusive, but rather to allow a casual viewer a good visual representation of a particular waterfall.
6. No macros or incomplete views. Pictures that just show a fraction of a waterfall will probably be rejected. This group is intended to illustrate the entirety of the worlds waterfalls. We want to see the whole thing, not just a piece. Please don't submit pictures that show just a piece.
7. If your image is accepted to the group, we ask that you PLEASE ***post the name and location of the waterfall*** in the description of the image, geotagging is HIGHLY desirable.
8. We will generally check our submission queue several times per day, so if you submit your images to the group and they are not approved within a couple of days, chances are we have rejected the image. If we have rejected the image, it's possible that the image did not have larger image sizes available in which case, we'll usually ask you to allow larger sizes. If you have allowed larger images to display, you MAY resubmit for consideration. If you have been denied for any other reason, please DO NOT RESUBMIT your image(s) if it gets rejected. Attempts to do so may result in removal of your images from the group or a ban from the group.
9. If you're adding a copyright watermark to your image, keep it small and unobtrusive. We may flat out reject a photo with a distracting watermarks regardless of the quality.
10. You can only submit 5 images per day.
11. No nudity.
Our purpose isn't to be exclusive by nature, but we wish to show photos that clearly illustrate a waterfall. Obviously, some waterfalls aren't accommodating is this manner, having portions that are hidden or obscured, but a waterfall photo that best suits our criteria is one that shows, to the best of the photographer's ability, the waterfall in clear relation to its surroundings. If it's merely a pretty waterfall, but not a named feature, we will reject it. At the same time, we will use our discretion liberally when approving images; if we don't like the shot, feel it doesn't fit within the guidelines of our project or isn't of a high enough quality for possible use for our project, we may not accept it. We're not opposed to art shots (we've made more than a few ourselves), but we function primarily to document and/or record waterfalls.
- This group will count toward the photo's limit (60 for Pro members, 30 for free members)
- Members can post 5 things to the pool each day.
- Accepted content types: Photos, Images
- Accepted safety levels: Safe