Trove: Australia in Pictures ADMIN October 21, 2010
Ourtown is now closed. You will still be able to find the photographs you submitted to OurTown in both Picture Australia and Trove. The Picture Australia: People Places and Events pool will remain open and we encourage you to keep adding your terrific images. Have you viewed your own images in Trove? They're available right now: trove.nla.gov.au
Group DescriptionHelp us to capture past and present reflections of Australia and its people and add them to the nation’s richest online pictorial resource www.pictureaustralia.org. 'Picture Australia: Ourtown' group seeks your perspective on Australia’s rural and urban spaces. Assist us to keep the national collection current by taking contemporary location shots of historical images already in Picture Australia.
How to contribute your images for display
Please title and tag the images you add to this group, to make them searchable in Picture Australia. Please include the following information: subject, event, location, geographical feature and date.
To keep multiple words as one tag, use quotation marks, for example: “Opera House” rather than Operahouse (as you can see below)
Search Picture Australia for opera house.
Search Picture Australia for operahouse.
Examples of Flickr images with searchable tags and captions:
Picture Australia is an example of what Flickr calls a ‘tag search application’.
Please read the instructions for individual participation on Picture Australia.
Creative Commons Licences:
While this is not a condition for contributing to this group, we suggest you consider licensing your images with a Creative Commons licence like “Attribution-NonCommercial”. You can find further details about the six Creative Commons licences on the Flickr Creative Commons page.
To have your images considered for acquisition by a Picture Australia contributor:
- include detailed captions, descriptions and tags;
- upload high resolution images e.g. 2500 x 1900 pixels;
- allocate a creative commons or all rights reserved licence;
- include alternative contact details or check Flickr mail regularly.
For example, the National Library of Australia regularly checks the Picture Australia groups for documentary images. It then approaches the photographer to determine whether there is interest in having the image added to the national collection. The Flickr images acquired by the Library will be preserved in its Picture Collection in perpetuity.
If you would like more information, please email Picture Australia
Note: By adding your photo to this group, you are giving Picture Australia staff permission to display your photo on the Picture Australia website.
Group RulesPicture Australia is interested in:
Any images of Australian historical or cultural significance
Any images depicting places that may have been inspired by our own or others collection
Any images of old photographs from contributor's personal archives.
Any images of events or activities of national significance
Any images of Australian's at work or play
Please note, Picture Australia is not interested in:
1) Images containing explicit or offensive material (ie. pornography, racial discrimination, violence etc).
2) Please do not include images of pets or animals unless they are of some Australian significance
3) Please do not use CJK when tagging your images as PictureAustralia’s database does not currently support non Roman Script, including CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) Script. All non-Roman script has to be removed manually. We are hoping to upgrade our database soon.
4) Please do not upload video as Picture Australia's database currently does not support video.
5) We are not interested in works where copyright is not owned by the publisher of the image or where the publisher does not have the permission of the copyright owner to publish.
- Accepted content types: Photos, Images, Art, Screenshots
- Accepted safety levels: Safe