Kew on Flickr ADMIN March 3, 2014
The last photo challenge closed on 28 February. In the next week we'll publish a selection of the best images. The next photo challenge will run until 30 April and the subject is 'green shoots'.
Group DescriptionJoin Kew's Natural Neighbourhood and help Kew celebrate biodiversity by sharing photos of plant, fungal and animal life in your local area.
Share your photos of what you’re doing at home or in your local neighbourhood to help support and safeguard the diversity of plant and animal life.
Tell us what you’ve done, show us your pictures and inspire others to get involved!
The following tips are important if you'd like your photos to be featured on Kew's website. Kew is not obliged to display your photos on its website but we'd really like to. This group is not competitive.
The subject of photos submitted to the Natural Neighbourhood Flickr Group must...
- be taken in your home, garden, school or local area
- show what you’re doing, making or creating to help biodiversity.
Here are some ideas:
1. Make your own compost heap from kitchen and garden waste.
2. Make a bug hotel for beetles and other beasties to make their home in.
3. Plant a tree.
4. Encourage bees like Kew's bee garden - plant bee-friendly plants in window boxes.
5. Make your garden a place that butterflies want to visit – plant their favourite plants there!
6. Build a mini pond for frogs and toads
7. Put up a bird box or bat box in your garden to encourage them to set up home there.
8... or anything else that inspires you!
Group RulesBy sharing your photograph with the Natural Neighbourhood Flickr group, managed by Kew, you agree to the Group Rules.
1. By sharing your photograph with the Natural Neighbourhood Flickr group, you agree to these Group Rules and agree to abide by the Flickr Community Guidelines.
2. Before sharing your photos with the Natural Neighbourhood Flickr group, please read these Terms carefully. They contain standards which you must comply with, and important information about what rights the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew will have to use your photographs.
3. By sharing your photos with the Natural Neighbourhood Flickr group, in respect of each photograph you confirm that it:
- was taken in your local neighbourhood
- is consistent with the Flickr Community Guidelines
- your original work
- does not infringe the copyright or any other rights of any third party
- does not contain any obscene or defamatory content or material
4. By sharing your photos with the Natural Neighbourhood Flickr group, in respect of each photograph you grant to Kew a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free, licence to display your photo (as it is stored on Flickr) on Kew's website and/or from Kew's server (including in a live gallery) where such display is connected with Kew.
This licence shall apply for the period during which the photo is posted in the Natural Neighbourhood Flickr group. If you remove your photo from the Natural Neighbourhood Flickr group, this licence will automatically terminate and your photo will no longer be displayed on Kew's website. If your photo is displayed on Kew’s website and/or from Kew’s server (for example in a live gallery), your Flickr screen name and the title of the picture will appear with the photo.
5. Unless Kew has contacted you and obtained your express approval, Kew will only use your photo(s) by displaying it on Kew’s website and/or from Kew’s server (including in a live gallery) whilst your image is in the Natural Neighbourhood Flickr group and where such display is connected with Kew's website.
6. Kew shall not be obliged to display your photographs and shall not have any liability to you for any loss of publicity or enhancement of reputation.
7. Kew reserves the right to cancel the Natural Neighbourhood Flickr group at any time.
8. By entering your photo to the Natural Neighbourhood Flickr group, you are deemed to have accepted these Terms.
9. These terms and conditions are governed by the laws of England and Wales and the English courts will have exclusive jurisdiction over any claim arising from, or related to, these terms and conditions.
Natural Neighbourhood Flickr Group guidelines
These guidelines outline best practice for sharing your photograph(s) with the Natural Neighbourhood Flickr group. These guidelines are important if you would like your photos to be considered for inclusion on Kew's website.
The subject of photographs submitted to the Natural Neighbourhood Flickr Group must:
- have been taken in your local neighbourhood and represent your activities to help sustain and safeguard biodiversity or plant and animal life.
Include as much information about the subject of your photograph as possible. For example:
- meaningful image titles and tags that describe where the photo was taken.
- meaningful image titles and tags that reference the name of the primary subject (eg compost heap) and any plants or animals included in the photo.
- descriptive content about the photograph where possible.
If you would like your photograph to be included on an interactive map please apply 'geo tag' data to your image(s).
- Members can post 4 things to the pool each day.
- Accepted content types: Photos, Videos, Images, Art, Screenshots
- Accepted safety levels: Safe