Join the group to start a discussion!
Group DescriptionNEW DEADLINE: Friday November 26th, 5pm EST
The Department of Anthropology announces the Anthropology Fieldwork Photo Contest for 2010. Help the department spread the message about who we are and what we do by sharing your fieldwork experiences through photographic images! We are looking for photos of any place you have been to do fieldwork, whether it was for an undergraduate class project, your dissertation, an article, a consulting job, etc.
Submitted images will become a resource for use on our department web site, department Facebook pages, on posters or other electronic forums, and as images within department spaces (e.g., Chair's Office, Departmental Office, etc.), and to educate the public and university community at large about the program.
(1) This contest is open to MSU Department of Anthropology graduate students, undergraduate majors, faculty, emeritus faculty, and alumni. Entries from individuals involved in competition planning or judging, and entries from professional photographers, are not eligible to win, place, or receive major prizes although they may earn "honorable mention".
(2) A maximum of four photographs will be accepted per entrant. We will accept photographs from the last four calendar years.
(3) As anthropologists we are particularly sensitive to the privacy of human subjects. Only photographs which include people in public settings where privacy and/or seclusion have not been intruded upon will be considered unless a release form has been signed and can be submitted to the department upon request.
(4) By submitting an image to our contest, you affirm you are the creator and rightful owner of this image. Entries must be the original work of the entrant.
Judging and Prizes
(1) The Department’s Communications Committee will judge the contest.
(2) Photographs will be evaluated on visual impact and portrayal of anthropological content/message portraying fieldwork and/or field sites.
(3) Judges reserve the right to consider geographic and thematic variety and to disqualify and/or remove from the group any entries.
(4) The judging committee's decisions are final.
(5) First, Second, and Third place entries will be determined with $300, $200, and $100 prizes awarded respectively.
How to Submit
Entries can be submitted using several methods. Please note, all entries (regardless of how they are submitted) will be placed on the Anthropology Department Flickr group (www.flickr.com/groups/msu_anthropology/) for public community viewing. If entrants do not want their entries visible to the public they should indicate so in the Entry Information they include with their submissions.
Entries can be sent via email to email@example.com. Emails should include “Anthropology Photo Contest 2010” as the subject line. In addition, entrants should include entry information (details of which are outlined below) in the body of their message. Please make sure submissions are in JPEG, TIFF, or PNG format.
Photographs can be submitted on CD to the main Anthropology Department office. Photos must be in JPEG, TIFF, or PNG format. Entrants should include both their full name and “Anthropology Photo Contest 2010” on the CD or CD case. In addition, all entries must be accompanied by entry information (details of which are outlined below).
To submit a photo to the MSU Anthropology Photo Contest using Flickr, just follow these steps:
(1) Log On to Flickr – To submit your photos via Flickr, use your Yahoo! ID to login to www.flickr.com. If you do not have an account, you can easily sign-up for free.
(2) Choose your entries from your Flickr home - If they are not already there, upload to your Flickr account any photos you want to enter in the contest.
(3) Describe and tag it for us! - In your Flickr home page select the photo(s) you want to enter, then click the "Actions" menu and select "edit title, tags, date..." item. Use the description box to enter a title and the date and place photo was taken (You have the option of also adding to this 1-2 explanatory sentences). Then tab your photo: tag each photo with PhotoContest-Anth2010 . Photos without this information will not be considered.
(4) Join The Department of Anthropology Flickr group –Navigate towww.flickr.com/groups/msu_anthropology/. If you are not already a member of The Department of Anthropology’s group on Flickr, join by clicking "Join?" link on the group's homepage.
(5) Send the Image to Our Group – While logged in to your Flickr account and viewing our contest page, click on the "Add photos" link near top of page; you will see a box with your photos--browse to the photo(s) you wish to submit for the contest, and select it (them), then click on the "Add to group" link under the box which indicates your selections. This adds your photo(s) to a wait list; assuming the photo does not violate any contest rules, judges will then make the image public (this may take 24-72 hours).
(6) Email us! - Last but not least! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org some basic information about you (detailed below). We must receive this information in order for you to be eligible to compete. You can cut and paste the text below into an email to make sure you complete everything. Your personal information will not be shared with anyone outside the department (though winners' names and status (alumni, student, etc.) will be publicized. Winners may be contacted and asked for more information about the winning entries. Such additional background information might be incorporated into such things as contest displays and later publications.
If entrants wish to use another method to submit their photos, please contact Adan Quan (email@example.com) to make arrangements.
All entries must include the following information:
--Name of entrant
--Phone (if that is how you prefer to be contacted should you win):
Anthropology Graduate Student (if yes, indicate year in program)
Anthropology Undergraduate Major (if yes, indicate year in program)
Alumni (If yes, indicate year graduated and tell us a bit about where you are now)
—For each photo you are submitting describe in the email: file name; title; date and place taken; brief description if desired.
--If you do not want your entry publicly visible on the Anthropology Department Flickr group, please indicate so. Please note though that regardless of your preference here, all winning entries will become publicly viewable.
That's it! You're entered.
The department is adopting the MSU International Studies and Program’s policy for their 2010 Global Focus Photo Competition as follows:
All rights, including copyright rights, in the photographs are retained by the artist, however, by submitting a photograph to this contest, the artist grants the Department of Anthropology at Michigan State University non-exclusive rights for royalty-free use, including the creation and use of derivative works, in displays and in print and electronic publications. The artist will be credited in displays and publications as appropriate. The Department of Anthropology will exercise final approval of any language that appears with any of the photos.
Group RulesBy joining this Flickr group, you agree to the rules, terms and conditions that have been established for this photo competition and are described in the contest's Flickr group page. You also agree that the Michigan State University (MSU) Department of Anthropology can use your submission(s) as described in those rules and you warrant that the submissions are your own original work and that you have the right to submit this work to this contest. By joining this Flickr group, you waive and release any and all claims and rights against MSU and you indemnify and hold the MSU harmless from all actions, costs, liabilities, losses or damages arising out of your submissions used by MSU, including those alleged or asserted by a third party to be unauthorized.
- This group will count toward the photo's limit (60 for Pro members, 30 for free members)
- Members can post 10 things to the pool each day.
- Accepted content types: Photos, Images
- Accepted safety levels: Safe