|Title||Author||Replies||Last Replier||Latest Post|
|I can't wait:)!!!||W i n t e r b i r d||3||Mick_Eyles||7 years ago|
|Meerkats are ugly???||silly earthquake (deleted)||0||silly earthquake (deleted)||8 years ago|
|I Can See Russia From My House can you?||ihadapet||0||ihadapet||9 years ago|
|mongoose, but not a meerkat||PetWerewolf||8||jaffa_tamarin||9 years ago|
|Meerkat Manor||GenGlo||20||ulisart||9 years ago|
|Meerkat Doco's on DVD?||MeerkatGal||0||MeerkatGal||10 years ago|
|links||PetWerewolf||7||MeerkatGal||10 years ago|
|Meerkat Wannabe||taelcat||4||MeerkatGal||10 years ago|
|New member intro||GlobalDog||1||MeerkatGal||10 years ago|
|the meerkat's common name in other languages||PetWerewolf||17||MeerkatGal||10 years ago|
Group DescriptionMEERKAT MOTTO
Respect the Elders, Teach the Young, Cooperate with the Family.
Play when you can, Work when you should, Rest in between.
Share your Affection, Voice your Feelings, Leave your Mark.
-- from Blue Fork
Kingdom: Animalia (animals)
Phylum: Chordata (chordates)
Subphylum: Vertebrata (vertebrates)
Class: Mammalia (mammals)
Order: Carnivora (carnivores)
Family: Herpestidae (mongooses)
Subfamily: Herpestinae (mongooses)
Genus: Suricata (meerkat)
Species: Suricata suricatta (meerkat)
Sometimes I found meerkats and other mongooses grouped with Viverridae (civets, genets, linsangs, and relatives) instead of in a separate family Herpestidae (mongooses), but according to Animal Diversity Web "Herpestids tend to have small heads, pointed snouts, and short, rounded ears that are not as conspicuously erect or pointed as those of viverrids. Many have anal (not perianal, as in viverrids) glands that secrete a foul-smelling substance."
AKA Slender-tailed meerkat or Slender-tailed mongoose.
There are three different subspecies of Meerkats. It is suspected that there is a fourth subspecies but further research is needed to prove this.
1) Suricata suricatta siricata - Found in South Africa ranging in color from brown to orange
2) Suricata suricatta majoriae - Found in Namibia whitish in color and banded around the eyes
3) Suricata suricatta iona - Found in Angola (not many details available)
4) Suricata suricatta ? - Found in the Southern Cape of Africa, orange bodies and gray heads (further DNA research is needed to prove the 4th subspecies)
Cute, photogenic and funny, these creatures are fairly easy to take pictures of at zoos and often with very amusing results. Add them to the pool and share any meerkat related stories, facts and links here!
Kindness to all living things
Is the true religion.
- This group will count toward the photo's limit (60 for Pro members, 30 for free members)
- Accepted content types: Photos, Videos, Images, Art, Screenshots
- Accepted safety levels: Safe