Chantal van der Ende-Appel ADMIN November 15, 2011
Thanks for all the therapeutic craziness, people! :-)
This group discussion is for members only.
Group DescriptionTuesdays will never be the same!
Even a silly group needs some rules - please have a look at the rules and some answered faq's below.
We (and similar groups) have made the media:
Viva, a Dutch magazine, June 2011 featuring me (Chantal), Erich Leeth and Nicola Bernardi.
Wonderful interview with Studio d'Xavier. This website doesn't exist anymore and unfortunately, Jim isn't a group member anymore. Should anybody have a screenshot or .pdf, that would be great.
Great looking article on Hungarian photography site Spottr for which I (Chantal) was interviewed, also featuring then co-admin Scott. Its original link doesn't work anymore, this is a screenshot.
CNN did an item called 'Face-down craze' in June 2011. I think the video has been removed, the link I had was general and searching for it doesn't get any results.
Urban Muser blog by Deb.
Some faq’s answered
1. The monthly themes (posted by one of the admins in the discussion section, suggested by members) are completely voluntary, feel free to join as often as you want or not at all;
2. Participating should be a ‘want’, not a ‘must’, don’t feel obligated, just participate whenever you can and feel like it;
3. Please limit your submissions to one a week. However, the settings allow two uploads a week, enabling a combination of late and early uploading;
4. This also implies that you don't need to post ON a Tuesday - many of us do, but sometimes it's simply not possible (even I as an admin have uploaded as late as Saturday). As long as the photo is taken on a Tuesday, you can upload whenever you want;
5. Secret stashes are allowed - some of our members prefer to restrict themselves to making new shot every Tuesday, which is great. But, even the admins don't always manage that, plus, sometimes you have a day with so many nice opportunities that it's a waste not to do anything with them;
6. Have a look at the discussion page every now and then – that’s where the new monthly themes are posted, new members are introduced, ideas for new themes is asked, etc.
The group started in 2009, amidst the similar hypes called planking and ‘the Lying Down Game’ hypes. The origins of those are described in this Wikipedia article.
It was my dear friend Tanja (the brilliant greenchartreuse) that found the group and we joined and took our first shots on the same day: October 13, 2009. Admins then were Maryam S and Erin. The latter was inspired by Maryam’s face-down shots, took her first on a Tuesday, came up with the idea of doing it every Tuesday and promptly started a group that same day. Maryam has done a thorough clean-up since, but Erin’s FDT shots are still up (the easiest way to see them together is to use her tags overview).
Early May 2010, Erin suggested in a comment that she was sort of over it and asked if I wanted to take over (apparently, I was the top contributor), and I did!
In January of 2011, relative new member Julie sent me a sweet private message, thanking me for the group and wishing me luck in a nasty job situation I was in. We became friends and a few months later (since the group was booming and admin became a bit much) was added as admin.
Overall, the average number of weekly upload has dwindled a bit, but the group still exists after almost a decade - how cool is that!
Thank you everybody!
Group RulesYay! Another convert? Welcome to the therapeutic craziness!
Even a group as silly as this one needs some rules - please read.
1. Please only join this group if you intend to participate;
2. Photos must be taken on a Tuesday local time - it makes absolutely no sense at all but that's the fun of it;
3. The 'date taken' needs to be visible;
4. Anomaly's key - we're all face-down in beds and on sofas and in the water at one point in our day or week, so please honour the craziness and go face-down where we don't expect you;
5. If the shot doesn't include your whole body it needs to be very clear that you're face-down;
6. Your whole body should be down - so no sitting, no hands-and-knees positions, etc.;
7. Let's keep it clean (overly explicit or creepy shots will be deleted);
8. The main subject must be a person - animals or props can of course accompany;
9. If your photo looks like you could have been seriously injured, we reserve the right to remove it. If you explain in your description or tags that the photo subject was not in danger due to safety measures or photo editing, the photo can remain in the pool. We don't want FDT minions dying on our watch;
10. Viewing and commenting on at least a few other uploads every week is expected and greatly appreciated - this group has a rather lovely sort of 'community feel' to it and we'd like to keep it that way.
- This group will count toward the photo's limit (60 for Pro members, 30 for free members)
- Members can post 2 things to the pool each week.
- Accepted content types: Photos, Videos, Images
- Accepted safety levels: Safe, Moderate