prettyshinysparkly ADMIN November 7, 2009
Serious moderation of the photos submitted to this pool has begun. Some members have violated the rules of membership and thus have been banned. I am going to strive for strict quality control, however, if you feel I have missed something, please point it out to me. Thanks for your cooperation and keep up the great submissions!
This group discussion is for members only.
Group DescriptionIt's the "Bokeh Blur"...but it's fake. Fake DoFs on real life scenes can eliminate distracting qualities of your image, and also achieves the neat "toy/model" effect that we've seen in some cases.
It all involves selecting different planes of depth--using layer masks with painting various shades of black/grey/white, as well as the quick-n-dirty gradient layer mask method.
1) Your subject is black on the layer mask, and everything else in its plane (horizontally and vertically).
2) Everything behind it is faded grey to white, and everything in front of it.
3) Of course there are no rules to Faking DoF, it\'s a fun tool that can be as creative and inspirational as you like!
The above instructions are meant as a guide to show you the intensive process required to make such a visually arresting picture. Miles (*Mute) has a great example of what he does with his Fake DoF pictures:
Here's one of mine as another example:
AND NOW THE RULES
.:. You may post up to 1 photo per week - this prevents people from "flooding" the pool with pictures of their own, which shoves other people out of the spotlight
.:. The Depth of Field (DoF) for your picture must be artificial. That is, it must have been done in post-processing, whether you use film or digital. Believe me, we can usually tell.
.:. Anyone who does not follow the above rules will either have their erroneous photos deleted from the pool, and if you still fail to comply after a warning, you will unfortunately be kicked out of the group. We're sorry, but rules are rules.
.:. No trolls!
.:. Post as many things in the discussion area as you like! Tips, Tricks, Technique, Advice, Asking for Help, You name it!
Group Rules1 submission per week. Must involve truly "fake" depth of field, implemented in post-processing, or with a tilt-shift lens. All submissions are reviewed prior to posting. Thanks!
- This group will count toward the photo's limit (60 for Pro members, 30 for free members)
- Members can post 1 thing to the pool each week.
- Accepted content types: Photos, Images
- Accepted safety levels: Safe