Can we talk film

Akatzmarkphotography 3:00pm, 28 February 2009
I have been shooting film a little bit.. Now i know NOTHING about film...nothing.. How should i get it develped ( does someone here do it for hire)? Is there a way to get it done in a higher contrast BW, or is that a type of film thing..

I just have a old film rebel with some plain ol fiji that i don't even know if its good...

noxious kettle [deleted] Posted 9 years ago. Edited by noxious kettle (member) 9 years ago
are you shooting black and white? how many rolls you got? it takes probably a half hour to develop, and i could do two rolls at a time. that would cost about 13 at a camera shop (low end). i could do it for significantly cheaper, but i don't have a lot of time on my hands. i am sure a few people on here could cut you a deal for it....

to add contrast beforehand you can push yr film,

pushing film

you can also use filters in different situations to increase contrast


also exposing your things properly always helps. are you going to be making prints or anything from them? thats a different story as well if you want to increase contrast in that department. if its just for the web, i would mess around with curves in photoshop. i don't see it as cheating because i would do the same things in the darkroom. i don't feel my stuff should be at the mercy of the scanner's settings.

best of luck,
HBRstudios 9 years ago
I'm guessing you don't want a synopsis of the zone system.
Hambone Lewinski 9 years ago
Look on the side of the film cartridge. Does it say, "Process C-41" anywhere? Because then it is a color film. If you got it anywhere other than a professional photography shop, as well, it's almost certainly color film.

If you want to shoot B&W film, be aware that there are two kinds -- C-41 and traditional silver based. You will want to shoot C-41, because you can get that developed at a minilab. Traditional film can really only be developed by hand.

Finally, all the tricks that will get you a high-contrast, gritty looking image are essentially reserved for traditional B&W films that you have to develop yourself.

Hambone Lewinski 9 years ago
Let me add -- there are folks who will develop traditional B&W films, too. But you have to send it out and it's pricy.

You might consider shooting a color film, getting scans done and manipulating in photoshop, too.

Akatzmarkphotography 9 years ago
ok.. Its just a roll of crappy fuji i found in the drawer.. So i am sure it is color.. Maybe i will just have it done in color..
noxious kettle [deleted] Posted 9 years ago. Edited by noxious kettle (member) 9 years ago
i would just bring it to target. c-41 processing isn't much different from place to place, and target costs $1 for next day processing. i think a cd is under 2.00 for next day as well.
Akatzmarkphotography 9 years ago
Maybe I should get a cd then convert in Photoshop..

So i need special BW film right? Is there any good place online to get it?
Captain Campion 9 years ago
i find it easier to get all my film w/ a cd copy so that i can upload easier and also so that when i get my computer back and add photoshop,etc it is easier to get the images to work w/.

i know Kodak makes a B&W film that you can pick up at Wal-mart, Wal-Greens, etc btu again it is pricy since you can't buy in bulk ....

i know i have a camera/photography supply website somewhere ... i shall have to find it in all my stacks of papers ....
noxious kettle [deleted] 9 years ago
you can get black and white film here,

or always has fair prices. kodak does makes a c-41 "black and white film" that you're able to develop at any major photo finishing place. its not true black and white though, and the "colors" look quite a bit off. definitely doesn't look like your standard black and white film....
Groups Beta