Look here

Terrific write up on these filters.

I actually recently bought these from they are Hi-Tech brand Filters. They get great reviews and produce really great results.

1 - 2 stop Hard Line Grad ND
1 - 2 stop Soft Grad ND
1 - 3 stop Hard Line grad ND
1 - 3 stop Soft grad ND
$57.11 for a holder and your choice of one filter.

I have tried the screw on Grad ND's but they give you literally no control over placement in the scene.
Shana Jo/A Mother's Soul Posted 10 years ago. Edited by Shana Jo/A Mother's Soul (admin) 10 years ago
Thanks for posting that, I have been meaning to start a thread asking for explanations on the different types of filters. So to make sure I am clear, I would need to buy a holder that goes onto the end of my lens, and it would allow me to move the filter into the position I need it in? What does the holder look like, out of curiosity?

Edited to ask: How do I figure out what size holder I need?
It looks just like this.

You can hand hold them over the end of the lens as well. If you go that route it is recommended that you put a thick rubber band on the lens barrel so you don't scratch the filters when moving them up and down.
N. Lindstrom Photo 10 years ago
I have a handful of these though I hardly ever use them. Maybe I need to learn more about them eh?
If you shoot Landscapes it wouldn't hurt. They are great tools.
Drew C 10 years ago
i have the hitechs and cokin P system... i like it so far...
2 stop soft and
3 stop soft (w/warming)

got 'em for a good price and now i'm just looking for a 10stop or 13 that'll fit cokin P... doesnt seem to be any though..
HBRstudios Posted 10 years ago. Edited by HBRstudios (admin) 10 years ago
I need to do more tests, but I am initially very disappointed at the reduction in sharpness using my 6 stop ND.

Yes, I was using a tripod! :)
Brian, what brand did you buy?

I also wish my 9 stop Hoya was not a filter mount.
I am looking at the Cokin P series right now. (Can't afford Singh Ray or anything like that.) I might order a set tonight if I can figure out what I want. Any recommendations?
I would go with the Hi Tech filters instead of the Cokin brand. I have researched these a lot and they are highly recommended by many.
I would start off with a 2stop Soft and a 3 stop soft. If you are only going to get one filter get the 2 stop soft.
The reason is because the soft grads have more versatility. Such as shooting them with an un-even horizon line or say with a lighthouse in the frame. If you used a hard line grad, chances are it would be obvious.
Okay, thanks Shawn! I think I will go with those then. I am totally dense though and can't figure out how to decide what size adapter ring to buy. Does it depend the the lens I will be using the filters with? I have a 50mm, 60mm, and 17-40mm.
Shawn Thompson - Lake Superior Photographer Posted 10 years ago. Edited by Shawn Thompson - Lake Superior Photographer (admin) 10 years ago
The adapter ring has to match the filter ring size of the lens you are going to use.

For instance, my 16-50mm lens has 77mm filter threads so I ordered a 77mm adapter ring.

Does that make sense.
If the 17-40mm is this lens

You will need to order the 77mm adapter.

You can see it on the front of the lens, it reads 77mm
I get it now. Finally! Don't mind me, I lost my mind a long time ago.

Thanks, Shawn.
Groups Beta