Join the group to start a discussion!
Group DescriptionDeerstones (Hoshoo in Mongolian) are the intriguing but poorly understood Bronze-Age megalithic monuments found throughout northern Mongolia and Southern Siberia, whose dominating images are diagonally-posed "flying" reindeer. Other common images include human faces, belts, ears, axes, bows, quivers, shields, swords, mountains, rivers, stars, moons and planets. Because they are not burials, the physical culture of the makers is not well identified or dated, and their exact significance: clan totems, gods, human as cosmos, reindeer as celestial messengers is hard to disentangle. For the latest scientific research see the numerous studies of the noted archaeologist Esther Jacobson. Please post images or drawings of deerstones, of landscape settings of deerstone clusters, or petroglyph inscriptions showing deerstone style images. Photos with GPS coordinates are especially welcome. Irrelevant postings will be deleted.
Group RulesThis group is devoted to documenting and exploring the meaning of Deerstones.
This group accepts:
1) Photos of Deerstones
2) Drawings of Deerstones
3) Landscape Settings of Deerstones
4) Photos or Drawings of Petroglyphs showing Deerstone-Associated Images.
5) Images directly related to Deerstone Culture (e.g. swords, mirrors, axes, bows, tattoos, metal images of animals). All related material should be of North/Central Asian origin or of obvious significance for comparison study.
6) GPS coordinates of images encouraged but not required.
- Accepted content types: Photos, Videos, Images, Art, Screenshots
- Accepted safety levels: Safe