yeimaya MEMBER March 7, 2007
Great Blue Herons will be returning to the North soon. Please invite people with heron photo who don't know about this group. Lets get ready for this new season with a large group of heron observers and photographers!
This is a group devoted to collecting photographs of great blue herons. Our ultimate hope is to build a database that can be used for scientific studies of great blue herons. We are built on the model of citizen science projects in which the existence of large numbers of amateurs can become a significant aid to scientists by collecting data that could not otherwise be collected. The idea originally was developed at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, with their Project Feeder Watch. We thought we would follow up with a new project based on the power of flickr.
1. Please post all photos of Great Blue Herons that you have. Please also invite other photos of Great Blue Herons that you see. There is text you can use for your invitation below. Searches indicate that there are many more GBH photos on flickr than are in our pool.
2. Please feel free to actively look for GBHs to photograph in your area and to take lots of pictures of them, especially as seasons change and from year to year. We'd love this.
3.Please geotag your photos. There are many ways of doing this, but it is essential because that way we can map your photo's location. One way is using the flickr map function. I discuss another approach in the following discussion stream: www.flickr.com/groups/csgreatblueheron/discuss/7215759431...
4.Please see if your photos might be appropriate for a discussion thread, like flying, feeding, or habitat. If so, please add it to the thread.
Please Invite photos of Great Blue Herons with this text
<- - - - Copy from this ENTIRE line down to where it says stop - - - ->
<a href="https://www.flickr.com/groups/csgreatblueheron" title="CS: Great Blue Heron"><img src="https://static.flickr.com/82/247125697_2234f265f3_t.jpg" width="50" height="75" alt="Heron" /> Citizen Science: Great Blue Heron (please read the rules)</a>
You are invited to add this image (and any other you have of GBHs) to <a href="https://www.flickr.com/groups/csgreatblueheron">Citizen Science Great Blue Heron
<- - - - Stop with this ENTIRE line - - - ->
If you have copied the code correctly it should look like this:
Citizen Science: Great Blue Heron (please read the rules)
You are invited to add this image (and any other you have of GBHs) to Citizen Science: Great Blue Heron
Special thanks to perezoso_nc for the use of his photo for the icon!
- This group will count toward the photo's limit (60 for Pro members, 30 for free members)
- Accepted content types: Photos, Videos, Images, Art, Screenshots
- Accepted safety levels: Safe