COLORED PENCIL magazine ADMIN February 15, 2017
EXTENDED DEADLINE! Due to the weekend, the February Art Challenge is now due on Sunday 3/12 11:59pmEST and judging will take place on Monday. Good Luck!
Group DescriptionEach month COLORED PENCIL Magazine provides an amazing photo for your to create your own colored pencil work of art. Enter before the deadline to be eligible to win some great prizes in beginner and advanced categories. We'd love for you to take an expired challenge, to learn or for fun, and share your results on our Flickr page!
START HERE: www.coloredpencilmag.com/challenge
Group RulesRules for the COLORED PENCIL Magazine Monthly Art Challenge
By submitting your artwork to the COLORED PENCIL Magazine Art Challenge Flickr page you acknowledge that you have read and accept the following rules, terms and conditions.
Challenge for colored pencil artists and aspiring artists to compete in and grow from monthly, copyright-free images for a chance to win one of three prizes totaling $300 in eGift Certificates from Jerry’s Artarama!
Monthly contests end on the 10th of each month and are announced, on our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/coloredpencimagazine, typically on the 11th of the month or following Monday if the 11th falls on a weekend. Challenges can be found in our monthly publication and on our website at: www.coloredpencilmag.com/challenge
CATEGORIES & PRIZES
The CPM Art Challenge is sponsored by Jerry’s Artarama for the year of 2017. Prizes are awarded as non-transferable eGift Certificates to be used at www.jerrysartarama.com website. It is winners responsibility to provide accurate and necessary information when claiming their prize or it may be forfeited.
Advanced* - Prize: $150 eGift Certificate to Jerry’s Artarama
Beginner* - Prize: $100 eGift Certificate to Jerry’s Artarama
Random - Prize: $50 eGift Certificate to Jerry’s Artarama
*Winning artwork will be seen on our Facebook page and in our Publication. (If you are the winner of the January Art Challenge your art will be in the May issue)
Random prize winner is selected by random.org from each month’s qualified entries.
SUMMITING YOUR ENTRY
Let me preface this with the fact that there are different ways to do this and your screen may look different depending on the version and device you are viewing on.
• Make sure that you have a Flickr account. You will not be able to submit or view all images without doing this.
• Click on the Cloud with Arrow to Upload an image to your Photostream. (Top right)
• Title this and include your Name and Category (Beginner or Advanced)
• Select “Add to group” on the right side and Search CPM Art Challenge or Go to our group page www.flickr.com/groups/cpmchallenge or select "Add Photo" to the Photo Pool.
• You are done! We will add a ‘Thank you’ message when we save your image to include in the official gallery. We are really busy so don’t worry, this may occur any time before judging begins.
Advanced has one or more of the following . . .
• 2 or more years of having colored pencils as a main focus of your artwork
• Working as an artist and/or make money from your artwork
• Received high accolades, recognition, or awards for your colored pencil artwork
• Have given instruction to others through publications, blogs, video, or art classes
• Have won in the Beginner Challenge twice
NOTE: If you are already rockin' this medium, even if after a short time, please put yourself in the Advanced section to give true beginners a chance to compete among themselves!
Challenge is open internationally to all ages (parent consent may be required to claim prizes)
• Work must be done in 80% colored pencil. 20% can be any other medium.
Our definition of colored pencil in its simplest form is 1) it must be a pencil and 2) it must be pigmented. This means we include pastel, ink, watercolor, wax, and oil based pencils! This does NOT include chalks or sticks towards the 80%.
• Flickr limits 3 entries/posts per account, per month. Each entry must be an original. (two entries = two separate pieces) No work-in-progress or crops are permitted as extras. This would add to the number of entries unfairly increasing odds for a random prize.
• Your piece does not have to be completed to enter but must have enough done to recognize the photo. Intentional scribbles, non-related and “joke” entries will be discarded without notice.
• Posted work must be “family friendly” - no nudity or vulgarity. Entries we deem in violation will be deleted at our discresion without notice.
• Artwork must be uploaded and posted to our group page by the 10th of the qualifying month by midnight EST, unless otherwise posted.
• Images must represent the actual artwork as much as possible. Photoshop usage must be limited to color corrections to match original work and cannot be used for manipulations, clean-up, or corrections.
• You can take as much liberty with our photo as you like but we MUST be able to identify our image as unique. Example, if our challenge photo is a butterfly, you cannot use any image of a butterfly or use any butterfly you drew.
• Artwork must include your Name, and Category or one will be selected for you without consent.
• We prefer that you post the size and materials used and any other details you’d like to share. If entry is brought into question, we may require more information about your artwork, including materials and methods used.
• Winners are contacted via their submitted Flickr account thru private message. To claim your prize, winners have 7 days to submit a non-watermarked, high resolution (300 ppi) image along with name and email for prize to be sent to.
• You can only win 3 times in any 12 month period.
• You can only win 2 times in the Beginner Category before getting bumped to the Advanced.
• You can move to the Advanced Category at anytime but you cannot go back to the Beginner once you have entered in the Advanced.
Judging is done by the COLORED PENCIL Staff. We understand that this is a subjective area but to help you understand what we are looking for when we choose our winners, here is the following criteria we use. First and foremost, we are looking at rendering skills. This includes proportion, values, and hue. We are also looking at composition and creativity. Don’t get your feelings hurt - we may absolutely love your creative work more than another but will still choose the one we think is the best rendered. Creativity definitely plays a role when there is a tie and when selecting our Honorable Mentions.
The number Honorable Mentions varies each competition due to total entries and close ties.
Content submitted may appear in COLORED PENCIL Magazine’s publication(s), website page and or social media sites with credit given to submitting artist without any transfer of rights belonging to the artist. All photo reference photos are copyright released only to artists that are using it to create colored pencil original artwork. The photograph itself belongs to it’s respective photographer and has been used with full consent and written permission when applicable.
We reserve the right to remove files from our page without prior notice.
If you have been taking the Monthly Art Challenges all year - this is your last one! Once you have completed and uploaded to Flickr. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a link to your Flickr account showing all 12 challenges along with the email address you would like your FREE digital subscription to be sent to. You have 30 days from the last deadline of 1/10/17 to contact us for 2016 challenges. It is your responsibility to claim your prize as WE WILL NOT CONTACT YOU first.
Last Updated: 02/23/17
- Members can post 3 things to the pool each month.
- Accepted content types: Photos, Images, Art, Screenshots
- Accepted safety levels: Safe