Group DescriptionWHAT IS THE KING TIDE PHOTO INITIATIVE?
Seasonal high tides occurring within California estuaries, and along the outer coast on December 23 and 24; January 20, 21, 22; and February 6, 7, 8 will provide a preview of what residents might experience regularly in the future as a result of rising sea levels. We invite you to participate in the “King Tide” photo initiative. Its objectives are to:
1. Identify and catalogue coastal areas currently vulnerable to tidal inundation; and
2. Gather compelling graphics and pictures, so we can promote awareness of the specific potential impacts of sea level rise on the region to support climate change mitigation and adaptation.
This initiative is part of a West Coast partnership with Washington State (website, flickr) and others in Oregon and British Columbia (website, flickr).
Check out our new website at californiakingtides.org/
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
You are invited to share photographs of areas that are known to flood and erode and / or areas where the high water levels can be gauged against sea walls, jetties, bridge supports, dikes, buildings or other coastal infrastructure around the state. Members of the public who photograph these high tide events along beaches, roads, parks and estuaries are invited to submit their images to this Flickr site.
Other CA King Tides Flickr Sites
Bay Area: www.flickr.com/groups/bayareakingtides
Santa Monica: www.flickr.com/groups/smbaykeeper
Submission details: Please include your contact information and geographically reference the photos with specific locations (GPS position, if possible), orientation, date and time of day. Consider what kind of licensing to add to your photos. We suggest the Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License. This license will allow us to feature your photography in presentations, websites, publications, etc.
Be sure to read and agree to our Group Rules
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO TAKE PICTURES?
High-tide events will vary by location throughout the state. NOAA provides detailed information on tide heights and timing, although these can vary significantly depending on weather conditions. Visit NOAA’s tide prediction website for complete information on upcoming high-tide events around the state.
HOW WILL THE PHOTOS BE USED?
The photographs and associated information will be used to create a map that will catalog coastal areas that are currently affected by extreme water levels. A report containing a selection of the submissions will be available after the event. Photos may be used in presentations, websites and publications on sea level rise impacts, coastal initiatives and climate action.
CLIMATE CHANGE, SEA LEVEL RISE AND THE KING TIDE
Increases in global sea levels have been recorded by NOAA tide gauges for many years, and more recent observations have been collected by NASA satellites. The steady rise has been attributed to both a warming of the oceans and contributions from melting glaciers and land-based ice sheets. Climate modeling combined with these direct observations suggest sea level rise will continue well into the future with significant implications for the state’s shoreline.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
E-mail us at CAKingTides@gmail.com
Find us on the web at californiakingtides.org/
and at www.cacoastkeeper.org
Group RulesBy joining this group, you agree to the following rules:
- Be careful during high water and/or stormy conditions
- Make sure your camera is set to the correct DATE and TIME (so that metadata is accurate)
- Turn on the camera's GPS if it has one (all King Tide Photos must be referenced to geographic locations)
- When uploading photos, make sure to add descriptions to your photos and note the date and time taken, as well as the geographic location
- If the information is available to you, it would also be helpful to know which direction the camera was facing, whether the photo is a low-tide comparison, and what the tide height was above chart datum (e.g. 3.7 m)
- Please tag your photos as appropriate. We suggest using the words "King Tide", "King Tide 20111," and other identifiers such as specific location of photo (i.e. "Bolinas" or "Fisherman’s Wharf")
- We will use photos submitted to this group according to the"Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License" (www.flickr.com/creativecommons/)
This will allow us to feature your photography in presentations, websites, publications, etc.
- All photos will be approved by a moderator before becoming available online
- Accepted content types: Photos, Videos, Images, Art, Screenshots
- Accepted safety levels: Safe