Rogier Diver 2:37am, 15 September 2011
I own a Brownie Six-20 E and consider to open it up and replace the yellow filter with either a disk with a smaller aperture or a grey filter.
Goal is of course to have a bit more control about the exposure.

Any one done this before?

Also given the position of the filter will I only cause a dark circle on the negative?
adelahunty [deleted] 7 years ago
Control? On a Brownie? You're having a laugh...! ;)

Seriously, it isn't a tough job. I've done the same thing on a Coronet box camera - Coronet Captain, perhaps - and it was pretty easy. Pop the old lens out, and replace it with some gel - red in my case - held in place very carefully with some contact adhesive. Make sure you don't get glue which will melt the new filter, and use the trick of painting a hand-gel coating over the glued surfaces so you can position it before it sticks.

That's the filter anyway. As for as smaller aperture, I think some experimentation would be needed, but shouldn't be that much of an issue to get the right size for your camera. Many box cameras have a 'Sunny-Cloudy' switch on them, and the position of the aperture which comes in the way is close to the filter position (where there is one). You won't get f22, but you may get a couple of stops.
Rogier Diver 7 years ago
Thanks for the reply.
I will get a parts camera fist to experiment with.
Indeed the grey / red filter should not be that hard.

The bigger question is the aperture.
To make a perfect round hole in some thin material I could have it cut out by laser.
adelahunty [deleted] 7 years ago
Indeed - that's the approach I've taken with pinhole conversions, and you get a nice round hole for the aperture. A laser cut into something thin should work well. Slightly sacrilegious I know, but I've seen it done using the shutter blades of a broken low-end Nikon (maybe an F55, not sure).
nano_burger 7 years ago
I would go with a polarizing filter. It will cut the light like an ND filter but will also improve contrast and saturate colors better.

If you are feeling adventurous, you might try to fit one of these into your camera:

Both gray and yellow filters. They also have gray and orange:
Rogier Diver 7 years ago
Thanks for the feedback.

Putting a polarizing filter inside prevents it from being turned in order to make it work properly. But nothing keeps me from manually holding a PL filter in front of the lens ;-)
If a filter inside I would choose a -2 stop grey filter. Just to accommodate a 400 speed film so there is a bit more control of the exposure.

Ultimately I am aiming for a smaller Aperture. Also hoping to increase the depth of field as well as preventing totally blowing out 400 speed film on a sunny day outside...
f6point3studio 6 years ago
To prevent blowing out your 400 speed film in your Brownie, shoot 100 speed film instead. That's what they were made to shoot, slow speed film.

Changing out the inner filter sounds like a "fun" DIY project, but why not go the simpler route of an exterior filter?
gray1720 PRO Posted 6 years ago. Edited by gray1720 (member) 6 years ago
I must admit, I thought the same. I have some old 43mm or so filters, and I just hold one over the front with two rubber bands. On the other hand, if it's your idea of a fun project I ain't going to stop you!
Blia100 PRO Posted 6 years ago. Edited by Blia100 (member) 6 years ago
You know what I want to do? I want to pull out the lens entirely and replace it with a different lens.. I got this on a comment on my box camera image

Agfa Shurshot B-2 Box Camera

There are a few that have modified these cameras to take a more modern lens that will allow you to focus. It is a bit of work to do, but the results can be quite fulfilling, considering that you get a focusing lens, the 6x9/6x4.5 sizes, and the ease of use of a Box Camera.
If you get the time to try such a project you should.
The only thing is that you have to use a lens that will give you 6x9 coverage.
I know you have a lens for an ISOLETTE but I don't believe it will give you the amount of coverage you need for 6x9. I think you'll need at least a 105mm lens, but at the half-frame size, the Agnar lens will work great!

I'm wondering if this is even possible. I would love to do that..! Pull out the crappy lens and replace it with a more conventional lens, like a lens from a Zeiss Ikon Nettar or some other 6x9 folder...
Would really like to have the focusing control of a triplet, and the added sharpness of the lens.
Plus it would be nice to shoot some different speed films instead of just TMAX 100 or Plus-X 125 (or the ones that gets Petey Jealous) one of my 6 rolls of Verichrome Pan :)

Honestly, I would really like to try that... Maybe not on this particular model, but I plan on getting another box camera, perhaps one that isn't in as .. "good" condition and replace the lens...
f6point3studio 6 years ago
I've done it, and it didn't work -- the focal length of the camera wasn't long enough, or sump'n.

Groups Beta