|Title||Author||Replies||Last Replier||Latest Post|
|Any questions?||monica hamburg||4||monica hamburg||7 years ago|
|Please Sign the Petition to Save the Great Bear Rainforest||DBarefootPRO||0||DBarefoot||7 years ago|
Group DescriptionForestEthics, Greenpeace and Sierra Club are asking you to “Bear Your Soul”. Don’t worry, this will be much easier than therapy.
Summary: Using a photograph, tell the BC Government why it needs to honour its agreement to conserve the Great Bear Rainforest. You could submit a picture of yourself holding a sign, frolicking in the woods (er, tastefully), or one that shows the beauty of the wilderness.
Details: The Great Bear Rainforest is the largest tract of intact coastal temperate rainforest left on Earth. It comprises over 30,000 square miles--about the size of Austria. It's home to three kinds of bears (grizzly, black and the rare spirit bear), six million migratory birds, 3000 genetically distinct salmon stocks and many species of plants unique to the region.
Two years ago, the province of British Columbia committed to protecting this region under a new conservancy. All the stakeholders--the provincial government, logging companies, First Nations and environmentalists--agreed to a new approach to resource planning developed by an independent team of scientists, and committed to its implementation by March 31, 2009.
While some progress has been made, BC must still initiate a regional plan to ensure conservation of these critical ecosystems.
Using a photograph, tell the BC Government why it needs to honour its agreement to conserve the Great Bear Rainforest. You could submit a picture of yourself holding a sign, frolicking in the woods (yes, tastefully), or one that shows the beauty of the wilderness.
Here are some examples:
We don’t want to stifle your creativity--you know what you’re doing, so just submit your great photos.
1. Submit the photo for “Bear Your Soul” to our Flickr photo group by December 15, 2008.
2. Our panel of judges will choose the 20 finalists.
3. The 20 finalists will be featured on www.SavetheGreatBear.org, where you can vote to choose the winners. We’ll notify the finalists and post to this group.
4. On January 15, the votes will be tallied and the winners announced.
Rules and Information
1. Finalists can be from anywhere.
2. You can submit as many photos as you like.
3. You're welcome to either take a brand new photo, or submit an older photo from your Flickr account.
4. We may use the images in promoting the campaign, but we'll always credit the photographer and he or she always maintains copyright
5. Submitted photos must abide by Flickr's Group Guidelines
6. Don't know how to submit a photo to a group? Find out how .
7. We're only accepting photos for this contest--no videos, please.
Grand Prize: Tide Rip Grizzly Tours, Forest Ethics, Greenpeace and Sierra Club are partnering to donate a two person Grizzly Bear Tour to Knight Inlet (valued at $265) for the summer of 2009. The trip can be taken from May 15 to August 25, 2009. Leaving from Telegraph Cove at 7:00 AM returning at 4:00 PM.
Second Prize: Wildlife Photographer Andy Wright is donating any picture
(to be selected by winner) on his website (printed and framed copy will be sent to winner).
10 Runners-up will each win a $50 iTunes card.
More About the Great Bear Rainforest
Individuals can send a message to the government of British Columbia, urging them to keep their promise to concerned citizens in BC and around the world by visiting this page and signing an online petition:
There's more information at www.savethegreatbear.org.
We've also made a two-minute video that you might want to check out.
- Accepted content types: Photos, Images, Art
- Accepted safety levels: Safe, Moderate