Group DescriptionA group created by State Records NSW and run by the Archives Outside team.
Have you visited our reading rooms to view original NSW State archives? Did you take photos of the records? Add your photos of documents from the official NSW State archives collection here. The idea of this new Flickr group is to help make the State’s archives more accessible.
Our aim is to make your images and tags available through our new, experimental catalogue search tool. In order to make this connection between Flickr and our search tool, we first need to find the relevant series or item in our catalogue to which the image belongs (more than likely you will have all this information on your retrieval slip).
When you upload an image to this group you are agreeing to make it available under CC license: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Australia License.
If you upload an image to this group, please add these special machine tags (add machine tags in the same way as ‘normal’ tags):
1. srnsw:series=[series number]
- this number is on your retrieval slip
2. srnsw:item=[item number]
- this number is obtained from the catalogue search result and not the retrieval slip. It is the number at the end of the item's URL e.g. api.records.nsw.gov.au/items/479518
Please add other relevant tags as you see fit and we will also add these to our catalogue. For example, keywords like "probate", "shipping list", "map", or the names of people and places will help make these images more accessible to others. If you are feeling brave, you might try adding additional machine tags (www.flickr.com/help/tags) e.g. to specify geographical coordinates or to link to a person in Trove.
We are also using a special archives2share tag to keep track of our progress.
Acceptable items to add
There is a general 30 year closure period for all records. Due to the sensitive information contained in some series of records the closure period is longer. Basically, if you were able to access the archive in the reading room (without needing a letter of permission granting you special access) then you can add it to the group.
This is a new area for us and we hope to be able to share our progress with you in the Discussions area. We also look forward to your suggestions and feedback.
About the Project
For more information about this experimental new crowd-sourcing project see the Archives Outside blog.
We hope you enjoy sharing the State Archives of NSW!
Group RulesImages in this group may be made accessible on the State Records NSW catalogue search tool
1. Only add images of archives from the State Records NSW collection
2. Archives must be in the open access period
3. [Machine] tag images following the example in the group description, or tag with series number and/or item number.
4. When you upload an image to this group you are agreeing to make it available under CC license: This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Australia License.
- This group will count toward the photo's limit (60 for Pro members, 30 for free members)
- Accepted content types: Photos, Images, Art, Screenshots
- Accepted safety levels: Safe