sgillies ADMIN December 12, 2011
The community-built gazetteer and graph of ancient places named Pleiades is looking for CC-licensed photos that can illustrate and give context to pages about places in antiquity. We propose to fetch photos from this group's pool using place-specific machine tags (example forthcoming). If you can help, please join the group and add photos tagged for a Pleiades place. Thanks!
|Title||Author||Replies||Last Replier||Latest Post|
|Sticky How to add a Pleiades machine tag||isawnyuPRO||2||americunculus||6 years ago|
Group DescriptionThe Pleiades Places Flickr Group represents a collaborative effort to collect images to be used to illustrate pages about places in Pleiades, which is a joint historical-geographic project of the Institute for the Study of the Ancient World at New York University and the Ancient World Mapping Center at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
We invite Flickr users to add their creative-commons-licensed photos of ancient sites to the group. Before doing so, please add Pleiades machine tags to indicate their relationship to geographic content in Pleiades.
More images of sites and artifacts from the ancient world are available via the isawnyu flickr account and the Ancient World Image Bank Group.
Group RulesThanks for your interest in the Pleiades Places group. We'd be delighted to have your help sharing imagery of ancient sites with a wider audience.
The purpose of the group is to identify imagery that's appropriate to use as "portraits" for individual place resource pages on the open-source gazetteer site pleiades.stoa.org. Postings to the group are moderated, and the following criteria must be met before a photo can be added:
* Only photos depicting an ancient site or monument can be added to the group
* A place resource page about the ancient site must already be published at pleiades.stoa.org (see pleiades.stoa.org/welcome for information on how to add a new Pleiades resource).
* Photos must be tagged with a Pleiades machine tag of the format pleiades:depicts=12345 corresponding to the Pleiades place resource in question (see further pleiades.stoa.org/Members/sgillies/news-items/eye-on-the-...).
* Submitted photos must be deemed by the submitter and the moderators as suitable for use as a "portrait image" on a Pleiades place resource page (i.e., an iconic or representative image of the site)
* Photos must be governed by a creative commons license and so marked in Flickr.
Thanks for complying with these rules before submitting. Please note that you don't have to submit a photo to this group in order to get it to appear in searches launched from a Pleiades page. All you have to do to make that work is add an appropriate Pleiades machine tag. This group is for selecting and curating portrait images for Pleiades.
- Accepted content types: Photos, Videos, Images, Art, Screenshots
- Accepted safety levels: Safe