Join the group to start a discussion!
Group DescriptionPlease contribute your photos of PAPERGIRL #5, which took place at NEUROTITAN, Berlin in July 2010!
WHAT IS PAPERGIRL ABOUT?
PAPERGIRL IS THE NAME OF AN ART-PROJECT, WHICH TAKES PLACE ONCE A YEAR IN BERLIN AND OTHER CITIES WORLDWIDE SINCE 2006. IN THE STYLE OF AMERICAN PAPER-BOYS, ROLLED ART PIECES ARE DISTRIBUTED BY BICYCLE IN THE STREETS TO RANDOMN PASSERS-BY. EVERYONE CAN PARTICIPATE!
It consists of a two week long exhibition, the aktion (distribution of the art), a bike workshop and a party.
Papergirl is, in short: participatory, analogue, non-commercial and impulsive. This means:
- Everyone can participate by submitting something and/or by helping with the distribution.
- Papergirl is distributed like a newspaper, but not edited or printed like it. It consists of art pieces which are rolled up together. Contributions are handed in by airmail or personally and are later included in the art rolls. There are no guidelines as to format, subject matter or quantity, so originals, prints, photos, copies etc. come together. Each roll contains 10-15 different works, meaning that each one holds a unique combination of works! There is no reproduction from our side.
- The art rolls cannot be sold and they are not delivered to subscribers.
- Giving the work out by bike means that there is no time for any stereotypes when choosing recipients of the pieces. You have to react fast and spontaneously. Chance plays its part and there is no time.
The basic idea with the project is to bring art to the public in a different way from normal; to surprise people and bring them into contact with art in their everyday life. Our motto is: Anyone who picks up a roll is lucky, and money can’t buy luck. Such as giving something is most fun when you don’t expect anything in return!
Before the rolls are beeing delivered, all contributions can be viewed in a two week long exhibition during two weeks in juli. An exemplary work by each artist will be hanging on the wall. Below -displayed on a podest- will be the other works, so that the visitor can look over the complete contents without being fragmented. It´s like in the streets, they are not curated either and all the work that is out there is sort of a present to the viewer, too! The works can be touched and looked through, but not bought. Everything will be given away in the streets later.
All Papergirls and -boys meet to a pregiven date, to distribute together the artrolls in the city. For this event everyone is invited, no matter if he/she has contributed some art or not, whether a friend or a visitor or a neighbour! This happening is sort of the highlight of the project, as it gives a chance to meet, get to know new people and get in contact with the residents of the area. Together as a group all activists bike around the city; honking and yelling, throwing art to random passers-by! There´s a lot of adrenalin in the air! Afterwards there will be a big celebration-party!
The show is open for another week. One piece by each artist is still hanging – like in a „normal“ artshow - so that possible catchers can come to see more.
- Accepted content types: Photos, Videos, Images, Art, Screenshots
- Accepted safety levels: Safe