The Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis, commonly known as the Saint Louis Cathedral, or colloquially as the New Cathedral, in Saint Louis, Missouri, was constructed in the early 20th century in the Central West End of the city, as the archdiocesan replacement for the Church of St. Louis IX, King of France (colloquially the Old Cathedral) on the historic St. Louis riverfront since 1770.
On May 1, 1907, ground was broken, and construction began. Work on the Cathedral would continue for another 80 years.
The undertaking would require a $1,000,000 - a monumental sum in the currency of the time. (and by no means reflective of the actual cost of the completed building). The design of George Barnett of the firm of Barnett, Haynes and Barnett of St. Louis, a synthesis of Byzantine and Romanesque design, was chosen by a selection committee.
Completed in 1988, it contains 41.5 million glass tesserae pieces applying over 7,000 colors. Covering 83,000 square feet (8,000 m²), it is the largest mosaic collection in the world, and was created by 20 different artists including Hildreth Meiere.
The Cathedral of St. Louis was designated a basilica by Pope John Paul II on April 4, 1997, and on October 19, 1997, the 150th anniversary of the elevation of the Diocese of St. Louis to the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Saint Louis
It is a beautiful sight and not be missed on any trip to St Louis