The Palais Garnier, known also as the Opéra de Paris or Opéra Garnier, but more commonly as the Paris Opera, is a 1,600-seat opera house on the Place de l'Opéra in Paris, France, which was the primary home of the Paris Opera from 1875 until 1989. A grand building designed by Charles Garnier, it is regarded as one of the architectural masterpieces of its time, a monument comparable to La Scala, the Vienna State Opera, Dresden's Semperoper, and the Teatro Colón in Buenos Aires. It is described as Neo-Baroque (or "Baroque Revival") or as Second Empire style.
The building is located in the 2nd arrondissement of Paris and is served by the metro station Opéra and ten bus routes.
Upon its inauguration during 1875, the opera house was officially named the Académie Nationale de Musique — Théâtre de l'Opéra (the words Académie Nationale de Musique are still inscribed above the columns of its front façade). It retained this title until 1978 when it was renamed the Théâtre National de l'Opéra de Paris; in 1989 it was renamed again as the Palais Garnier, after the Opéra Bastille was completed and became the opera company's principal theatre. In spite of these changes, the Palais Garnier is still known by many people as the Paris Opera, as have all of the several theatres which have served as the principal venues of the Parisian Opera and Ballet since its initiation.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia